main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Big Blue Nation: The Kentucky Wildcats Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by TheLighterSide, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLighterSide

TheLighterSide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    Given that my search came up empty, I have to assume that there are no threads here for the winningest college basketball program of all time. So, here we go! Even if I am the only one to ever post here, this thread is for those who wish to bask in the glory of the one and only Kentucky Wildcats, winners of seven national titles, 1,974 college basketball games, 43 SEC titles, contestants in 46 NCAA Tournaments and 13 Final Fours.

And we have a football team, too. Stories from them will make your hair stand up on end. They've broken more hearts than... well, something that's broken alot of hearts. But, hey, they're bowl bound this year, so maybe things are looking up!

Post your comments, predictions, stories about the 'Cats here. Ohhh, C-A-T-S, Cats, Cats, Cats!

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    *throws rocks at TLS*

Go Vols!

:p

Nah, best of luck to Tubby Smith, one of the classiest guys you'll see in sports.

3. TheLighterSide

Apr 28, 2005
    Tubby really is. He gets alot of flak here, but so has every coach since Adolph Rupp. I wish him nothing but the best, because as he goes, so do we!

And "Go Vols?" You say that with a name like "heels?" What gives?

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I like them both.

However, my first love was Carolina Basketball, and then Vols football. I've recently started pulling for Tennessee basketball as well, and really like the direction Bruce Pearl is taking the program in.

In fact, you all come to the Dean Dome this weekend. Should be a good one.

5. TheLighterSide

Apr 28, 2005
    If I could make it to the Dean Dome, I would (though I am less than certain about the outcome). I liked Carolina's campus when I was there, but that powder blue just annoys me.

Much like Tennessee oragnge. Out of all the teams on the schedule, I want to beat Tennessee the most. By fifty points, if we could. Why, you ask? Because a couple of months ago, Bruce Pearl came to Maysville, KY. They made him a Kentucky Colonel and decked out in orange to meet him. That made me and the rest of the Big Blue Nation furious. Now we're out for revenge!

6. Manda_Jade

Manda_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 2006
    Hi. [face_blush] I love the Cats!

But so far just the furry ones!

7. TheLighterSide

Apr 28, 2005
    Hey, we actually have a real Wildcat mascot. He's furry. Of course, he's a feral cross between a bobcat and a lynx, so he isn't exactly cuddly. Actually, we keep him in a cage and he never goes to games. Maybe he should, though. We could loose him on the other team! BRILLIANT!

8. Manda_Jade

Manda_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 2006
    You're welcome!

9. TheLighterSide

Apr 28, 2005
    Come one, come all on Saturday at Noon (EST) as the 'Cats try to upend the North Carolina Tar Heels! Can they do it? Tune in to CBS and find out! Root for the 'Cats and their outstanding library! [image=http://www.geocities.com/robdcx/picsmd/saturday_life/library.jpg]

C-A-T-S, Cats, Cats, Cats!

10. TheLighterSide

Apr 28, 2005
    Well, 'Cats fans, we came up short against the Tar Heels today 75-63. A few things leap out at me, some good and some not so good. First, we turned the ball over twenty-two times. We can't play anybody like that and expect to have a good game. Second, we hit a dismal three three-pointers to the Heels' nine. Difference in the ball game right there. We must get into an offensive flow much quicker, especially agaist teams of the Heels' caliber.

But, I like to stay positive, and there were some positives in this game. One, Randolph Morris is a beast. Twenty-one points, and outplayed Tyler Hansbrough. He silenced critics with his performance today. Two, the defense was particularly solid. Holding Carolina to thirty eight percent shooting and making them play the style of our choice are both huge positives. Rotation, trapping in the post, pressure on the ball were all (for the most part) excellent. Three, rebounding. We outrebounded a taller, more athletic team by six. That's just good hustle on the boards, and something we can build on. We have a stretch of very winnable games coming up, and I have no doubt that the lessons learned by the freshmen in this game will carry on through the season.

Overall, I'm disappointed, but I look at it this way: This team may finally be getting back to basics on the defensive end. Once they buy into that and start to consistently get after the other team defensively, the offense will come and at that point, the future is very bright. Let's take this game, learn from it, and become a better team. Go 'Cats!

11. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    I have to say, that is a nice library. I like the setback windows beneath the canopy. I can't speak for the basketball team, though. :p

And don't steal the Jets chant. :p

12. TheLighterSide

Apr 28, 2005
    It is official, Cats fans, UK will play Clemson in the Music City Bowl. I have watched Clemson at various times this season and I will say only this: they are good. Perhaps better than a birth in the Music City Bowl. Their running game is very, very strong. It may well fall to the Kentucky offense (as it has most of the year) to give Kentucky a shot at this game.
    On the other hand, this is a rematch of the 1993 Peach Bowl, which Kentucky was only a costly fumble away from winning. Any way you slice it, though, even going to this game is huge for the Kentucky football program. Go 'Cats, see you in Nashville!

13. TheLighterSide

Apr 28, 2005
    Even though I strongly suspect I'm writing to myself here, I urge all Cats fans to tune in tomorrow night as the Boys in Blue take on the Chatanooga Mocs in Freedom Hall in Louisville, KY. This game marks a critical stretch for the Cats as Coach Tubby Smith is contemplating line-up and style changes. Not to mention this begins a series of winnable games for the Cats. And if that isn't good enough, I'll think about giving each person who promises to watch one dollar. I won't actually give the dollar, but I'll at least give it some thought. Go Big Blue!

C-A-T-S, Cats, Cats, Cats!

14. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Haha, I will enjoy watching Florida dominate you guys 2-3 times again this year. We are waiting in the House of Horrors.

We are down right now, but when we're healthy, we should make a decent run at the SEC.

All smack aside, I love the fact that UF-UK is becoming a legitimate rivalry after UK dominating for soooo many years. :D

15. TheLighterSide

Apr 28, 2005
    Enjoy this while you can, Dan. Florida had one of the most impressive runs in the NCAA Tournament since the 1996 Kentucky Champions, and you'll probably beat us again. I hate to admit this, but I think that Florida is the only team in the SEC that we can't beat this year. That having been said, the SEC Title runs through Lexington. Always. There will be a few years that legitimately good teams will pop up (LSU and Shaq, Arkansas in the mid-90s, Tennessee in the 1970s with the Ernie and Bernie show), but the one constant is my Wildcats. Maybe that is changing, but maybe not. We'll see. All I'll say right now is it will be interesting indeed when Florida comes to Rupp this year.

16. TheLighterSide

Apr 28, 2005
    Kentucky Wildcats- 79
    Chatanooga Mocs-63

The Good Guys came out on top this time in a game that featured many, many positive things that can be the foundation to a very successful season. However, before I get to that, one major negative must be addressed: turnovers. Over twenty again. This is absolutely, unquestionably, and without fail unacceptable. No matter who the opponent is, this amount of turnovers is NEVER acceptable. This game could easily have been a thirty-plus point blow out. WE MUST TAKE BETTER CARE OF THE BASKETBALL. PERIOD.

That having been said, the first five minutes of the second half was the best I've seen a Kentucky team look since 2003. The lead ballooned from fifteen at halftime to twenty-eight very, very quickly. The defense in this stretch was suffocating and the offense was much, much better. That, in my opinion, is how a Kentucky team should look. Derrick Jasper got his first start tonight as Tubby went to a three guard lineup. This seemed to spark the team a bit, and certainly seemed to spark Ramel Bradley who, despite turnovers, shot very well. Randolph Morris had another big game, and at this early point in the season has to be considered one of the best players in the country. Don't believe me? Just look at what he did to Tyler Hansbrough on Saturday. Bobby Perry scored seventeen and seemed to get back on track. This team is very close to being a top tier team. Just limit the turnovers and play agressively, and you never know what can happen on any given night. The 'Cats next have Indiana at Rupp Arena on Saturday, and it's a game they need very much to put themselves back on the map. If they continue to build on the positives from tonight's game, they'll be lookin' good not only on Saturday, but come March, too.

17. TheLighterSide

Apr 28, 2005
    Any time you beat a hated rival, it is a good day. So it is today as your 'Cats defeat the Indiana Hoosiers 59-54 in Rupp Arena. At first sight, the score might suggest an ugly game. The score would be right, but that's just Kelvin Sampson's, and subsequently Indiana's, style of play. They were very physical and very tough, and made life for the 'Cats offense very difficult.

A few things really jump out at me about this game. The first is the fact that the 'Cats did not play their best game. Again. They committed seventeed turnovers, were outrebounded by quite a bit, and only hit one three (Thank you, Jodie Meeks). But they still won, due in large part to very, very good defense, holding the Hoosiers shooting under forty percent.

The battle between Randolph Morris and D.J. White was phenomenal. White had 23 points and nine boards, while Morris compiled another double-double with 16 and 10. Morris is the offensvie heart of this team, and is turning into one of the top five big men in the country. Very impressive again by the big man.

Bobby Perry came to play today. Scoring eleven with ten boards, he, too, had a double-double and was clutch down the stretch. Very nice game from the senior, and let's hope he carries that into the biggest game of the season next week.

That's right, fans, next week is the Battle for the Bluegrass as Kentucky takes on "Little Brother" Louisville. The one thing Kentucky must do between now and Saturday is work on keeping turnovers low. That is a must when playing Rick Pitino, and nobody knows Ricky P. better than UK fans. This game will be a gutter war, no holds barred in Louisville. But that is next week. Today we can focus on the areas of growth and improvement, and savor a good win over a quality rival. GO BIG BLUE!!

18. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Morris will be interesting to watch this year, he was so highly touted out of high school but was FAR from impressive the last two years. If he can get his career back on track, he can be huge, but the last couple years won't cut it.

19. TheLighterSide

Apr 28, 2005
    That's right, the last two years have been fairly, well, bad for him. But keep in mind he was out 14 games last year. It's no secret that as he goes, so go the 'Cats.

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, because he tried to go to the NBA and they didn't want him... ouch.

Especially with Rajon Rondo and Patrick Sparks gone, he has to take control of that team.

Btw, whats up with that 7-3 guy (I should remember his name, but I'm drawing a blank), is he ever going to amount to anything?

21. TheLighterSide

Apr 28, 2005
    Woo. You're thinking of Lucasz Orbzut, called "Woo." And put simply, no, will never amount to anything. He was useless on the day he got here and he'll be useless when he leaves. Morris is the man right now, he's had a phenomenal start to the season. The only other post presence we have (now that Carter, the other seven-footer, is hurt) is Perry Stevenson. He's a freshman with outstanding athletic ability. He blocked seven shots in his first game, but offensively he's suspect right now. I look for him to be good next year, and spend this year learning the college game.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    No, apparently he's not there anymore... Shagari Alleyne, he was a Jr last year but I don't know if he just left early or transferred, or what.

So I guess that question is irrelevent, since he's no longer at Kentucky. Didn't realize that until now. Hmm

EDIT: search has what is presumably him with the Manhatton Jaspers, hasn't played, so I guess he transferred there.. odd to see someone transfer after three years, though, usually its only after one or two

23. TheLighterSide

Apr 28, 2005
    Yes, Shagari did transfer. Couldn't hack it academically. I think he did go to Manhattan, but I haven't heard anything about him. He was another Tubby Project, and it didn't look like he would pan out, either.

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Couldn't hack it academically.

Yeah, that would explain that.

It would seem like big guys like that would have it easier on the court, but it doesnt really happen that way.

25. mybad4990

mybad4990 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2005
    Question for you Kentucky fans. I remember that they had a kickoff/punt returner that seemed to return them a lot for TD's. He was a small white kid and was fast as hell. Does anyone remember what his name is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.