main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Big Duel -- How does it End?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by DarthDooku, Aug 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthDooku

DarthDooku Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2000
    Greetings,

I tried to search for an existing thread with this topic, but couldn't find one. Sorry for any redundancies.

I was thinking about "The Big Duel" of EIII and how Lucas will work out the ending of it. If Anakin is indeed grieveously injured by contact with lava during the duel, what happends to Obi-Wan at this point in time? You would think that he would try to finish him off or offer to help him through mercy in some fashion?

There must be another element involved in this scene, another dynamic or character. This dynamic/character will have to provide a way for Anakin to escape from the lava. Obi-Wan will have to be removed from the scene for some reason -- wouldn't you think?

Let's speculate about this......

2. Chamby_X

Chamby_X Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    Perhaps Dooku and Sidious will show up and separate Obi Wan from the defeated Anakin. Preventing Obi Wan from offering help, allowing Sidious to rescue Anakin, and also giving Sidious an oppurtuinity to start poisioning Anakin's mind with stuff like "Obi Wan left you to die" and things like that.

3. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    I've always pictured Anakin dangling over an edge, and Obi-wan offers his hand to help; Anakin reaches up, and just as he is about to take hold of Obi-wan, he loses his grip and plummets. Obi-wan tries to catch him but fails; he watches Anakin fall with a look of shock on his face.

4. Dickey

Dickey Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2002
    Heh, i was thinking along those lines Chamby, but more specifically, i think Dooku would take Obi-Wan out of the equation somehow, and the Emperor would whisk Anakin away, and fix him up. Maybe when he puts on the suit for the first time, something snaps inside him as well, giving us the Vader we all know and love to hate.

5. RoGaz_Eriah

RoGaz_Eriah Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, Ive always heard that a group of Sith priests pull him out of the molten pit. Anyone else heard this?

6. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I've always thought that Obi fought Anakin and Anakin accidentally fell into the pit. Obi thought Ani was dead, but Anakin was really alive and pulled himself out.

7. WC-Emperor_Palpatine

WC-Emperor_Palpatine Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2002
    i havnt herd it RoGaz_Eriah
    tell me more....muahaha

8. WC-Emperor_Palpatine

Aug 15, 2002
    But i herd this tho.....This guy next store
    to me at work was telling about the obi-wan
    anakain fight(were both SW fans)....he said he read a book a
    long time ago...he said it was from
    lucas...saposadly obi wan cuts anakain into pieces....his arms twice,his legs twice,cuts his waist off....so i dunno were this lava pit is gonna come in....I herd he cuts him up takes saber and walks away..nothing about a lava pit....ill ask him tommrow if that book said anyting about lava

9. daned

daned Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2002

i like the sound of that one but it sounds better like this.

durring the lightsaber duel Obi-One force pushers Anikin over the ledge Anikin grabs hold as Obi-One goes over and gives him his hand to help him up Anikin says 'u betrayed me, master.' and lets go of the edge to fall into the pit of lava..

10. WC-Emperor_Palpatine

Aug 15, 2002
    You made that up right?Cuse what i said was from GL...saposadly

i dont know how to spell it...

11. RoGaz_Eriah

RoGaz_Eriah Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2002
    There is a book called Journal of the Whills which is sort of a pretty scary synopsis of the entire Star Wars saga. I have it and before Phantom Menace, I was skimming through it and after I saw TPM there were some similarities. There is some info about the battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan. Im going to go back and read through it again. Ill keep you posted.

12. Naberrie_SkyWalker

Naberrie_SkyWalker Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 30, 2002
    I think it will end like this. Qui-Gon will show up in some form, do his "Anakin, Anakin" thing (as Gl has already said that is major thing in III). This distracts Anakin long enough for Obi to regain the upper hand. Obi goes to disarm him(weapon only, not literally..)and in the process Anakin loses footing, falling into molten pit of some kind. He hangs on the edge and Obi goes to save him. Now, Palps (who has been there whole time watching) uses the force to make Obi let go of Anakin. Anakin falls..Palps is there to save him..little bit later enter Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith.

13. DarthDooku

Oct 26, 2000
    I know from the official website that Anakin is wounded despite having the dark side enhance his already formidable powers. Given this (don't know if it is considered canon), it appears that maybe Anakin gets cocky/overconfident during the fight and tries something that leads to his injuries. If he is more Powerful than Obi-Wan, then there is a slim chance that Obi-Wan could defeat him based upon Force ability alone. I think that Lucas once said that Anakin's own pride and selfishness at the height of his powers is what creates his undoing. Maybe it will be evident in this duel.

Forgive me for using a Trek analogy, but wasn't it in the 3rd movie that Kirk and the Klingon commander have a duel on an unstable molten-lava type planet. It might be interesting to think of the duel in this type of context....I think I may have to write up a scene for this since it's going to be the most anticipated scene in all of Star Wars history.

14. markdil

markdil Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    I have been waiting for a thread like this one! I think I have a pretty good theory about the end of the Obi/Ani duel.

In each of the PT movies, a duel has ended with a force-push catching a Jedi off guard. In TPM, Maul force pushed Obi over the ledge, and in AOTC, Dooku force pushed Anakin away after lopping off his arm. I think we will see this again in Episode 3's duel. It could go something like this:

<a pause in the duel. Anakin is breathing heavily from exhaustion and the frustration at being unable to get past Obi-wan's defenses>

Obi-wan: The dark side has made you powerful, Anakin, but I am still your master.

Anakin: You have no idea how powerful I've become. Good-bye... master.

<on the last word, Anakin attacks with three quick lightsaber strikes. Obi-wan parries all three. On the third strike, they lock swords and look into each other's eyes. Anakin suddenly gets a look of smug confidence on his face, and he brings his hand up to force-push Obi-wan. (force sound effect) Obi-wan brings his hand up a moment later to block Anakin's attack. Obi is knocked off balance by the attack, but he holds his ground and pushes Anakin away in defense. Anakin has a shocked expression on his face as he gets knocked back by the deflection of his own force-push attack. He falls over the edge of (whatever) and into a pool of lava/acid/molten steel. (take your pick)>

15. DarthDooku

Oct 26, 2000
    Markdil,

Pretty neat little scenario there....the force push is definately something to be considered in this scenario, especially with molten lava spewing all around.

I will think of one tonight and post it tomorrow...

DD

16. seclipse21

seclipse21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2002
    I think that Obi-Wan should run over to Anakin trying to reach him while he is drowning, but can't. Obi-wan sees Anakin throw his lightsaber(with it turned off)and say,"Give this to my son when he is old enough."Obi-wan feels bad for what he did and run to tell the council but no one is there. Obi-wan runs back to the lava pit but Anakin isn't there(because he was helped and grabbed out by Sidious).

17. PruneF8ce

PruneF8ce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    WOW. V8der. Good stuff.

Hey, weve got an 8 in common. How bout that...

Now about this whole thing...All I know is that if it rhymes with ROTJ, Anakin will kill Tyranus and take his place aside Sidious, as Sidious knows Tyranus is trying to take the galaxy for himself.

Obi Vs. Anakin's a sure thing in my book, and Anakin loses terribly. Beyond that, i dunno what happens.

18. PlastiqPhantom

PlastiqPhantom Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2002
    V8DER

I love you....

19. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    I think Anakin will fall into the lava (or whatever he falls into) while rescuing Obi Wan. There is an emphasis on Anakin rescuing Obi Wan in AOTC (their discussion before meeting Padmé and his rescue of Obi in the duel with Dooku). I think this has some meaning (similar to Obi Wan's line "This is why I hate flying" - a line that will be significant at some point in Episode III). Will this make Anakin's fall "nicer"? Possibly but then again it is quite clear Anakin is the saga's hero (despite being this evil individual) and he will do something heroic in the final installment.

20. DickieSWnut

DickieSWnut Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2002
    Just like Monty Python!!!!! Tis only a flesh wound!!

21. DickieSWnut

DickieSWnut Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2002
    i was referring to emperor_palpatine's "ending"

22. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Seeing as how Anakin referred to Obi-Wan as his only father figure not once, but twice in AotC, I'm sure Lucas could utilize it for dramatic purposes in the duel.
    Maybe Obi-Wan sees Anakin as a son-like figure?
    Who knows?

23. Pepijn

Pepijn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    I think Anakin will be so angry and wild, that he doesn't watch his feet and falls in the lava pit. Then we'll see just the fire some important things of his past: Shmi dying, Some sweet things he mentioned in TPM, the tusken slaughter, perhaps a little Qui-Gon speech, then Dooku and then at last Palpatine praising him, when he opens his eyes he sees Palpatine, who has helped him "as the nice man he is." But when he wakes up he is already in the Vader suit. Palpatine wants him to meet a person who can learn him really control the force; enter Darth Sidious...

24. Kenneth-Morgan

Kenneth-Morgan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 6, 2000
    How about this:

Earlier in the film, Palpatine, believing Padme has been killed (she really hasn't) convinces Ani that Kenobi is responsible. Ani confronts Kenobi. Kenobi protests his innocence (he doesn't know that Padme is really still alive), but Ani is far too enraged to listen.

The duel begins. Kenobi holds back, trying to simply disable Ani long enough to listen to him. But Ani is a lethal, Dark Side killing machine, bent on revenge. Finally, the duel ends at the rim of the volcano/reactor/molten pit/whatever. Ani loses his balance and falls, but barely catches the rim with one hand. Kenobi reaches out to try and save him; Ani looks at him with an expression of utter fear. Then, before Kenobi can reach him, Ani's grip fails and he falls to his apparent doom.

Kenobi is devastated by the loss of Ani. Eyes closed in sorrow, he stands for a long moment, then starts to turn away. He's taken a few steps when, behind him, we see a mechanical hand rise up from the lava, clawing to safety. Kenobi hears this and turns. Then, he sees (but we do not) someone, or something, painfully rise from the lava. A hoarse, labored voice says, "You don't know the power of the Dark Side." Kenobi, for the first time, is overcome by terror at what was once Ani and runs away.

Moments later, troopers find the badly injured but still alive Ani and call for medical help. When we next see Ani, he's in the armor and mask of Darth Vader.

What do you think, sirs?

25. PruneF8ce

PruneF8ce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    He's taken a few steps when, behind him, we see a mechanical hand rise up from the lava, clawing to safety.

I always thought It was palps or someone who stopped him from being immersed fully. I really dont know, but doubt he will climb out of a molten pit on his own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.