main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN The Big Move to vBulletin -- Good idea or Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jaden1138, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    So, the April Fool's Joke is not a joke. And the joke is on everyone who assumed that it was a gag. Yes, Gundarks ARE flying out of my butt, as I said they would if we were REALLY changing servers. But it did not take me long to doubt my assumption.

*Ducks the latest flying Gundark.*

That's going to hurt in the morning.

Anyway, what do you think? I know nothing about vBoard except for what I just saw on their site. Looks modern. But it was just their own forum. More bells and whistles than this forum, but the Mods and Admins have already said that they are putting the same limits on signatures as there are here and the move is a parallel one.

Perhaps the image upload will not leave us with the ugly smooshed boxes that we have to click to see anymore. Perhaps we can make better icons! Maybe they will LOSE the awful stars in the move. :) One can dream.

We have no choice. IGN is going to drop us like a bad habit. But is vBulletin the only option? The best option? Or is there another?

2. Lord_Kosh

Lord_Kosh Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2005
    There are several developed forums for the web. vBulletin is widely used by many sites. FUD Forum is as well used. Depends on what the site can use based on the coding. Having coded for each of them on work-related websites, I'm not sure either is better. They both have several features.

I think it might be useful to have both IGN and another, maybe two or three others. We might loose potential fans moving...or pick up new ones. I can see where it might have benefit to have a network of forums...different fishing lines to get more fans. One idea is to do a google search for Star Wars Forums and see what comes up. Anything that shows up on the first page or two of results and works well might be worth joining, make a few posts, and see what the interest level is for that forum. Maybe even post some general meeting info and that we are trying to grow the group. The activity level from one to the other may shift quite a bit. There was a time when this board was hot with activity. Other sections are probably fine. But after it sat cooling off for so much time, who checks it..especially if all your notifications had expired.

3. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Yeah, mine expired. I hope that the new system can address this issue. No expiration option. Hey, I will bring that up in Comms right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.