main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Big Theme Database. Can YOU add to it?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Miz, Apr 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miz

Miz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    SW:EpIV:ANH

1:Main SW
    2:Rebels
    3:Force/Obi-wan
    4:Stormtrooper
    5:Leia

SW:EpV:ESB

6:Love
    7:Echo Base
    8:Imperial March
    9:Droids
    10:Yoda
    11:Lando

SW:EpVI:ROTJ

12:Jabba
    13:Emperor
    14:Ewoks
    15:Luke and Leia

SW:EpI:TPM

16:Duel of the Fates
    17:Qui-gon
    18:Anakin
    19:Trade Federation
    20:Jar Jar Binks

2. EV-9D9_ROTJ

EV-9D9_ROTJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2001
    You forgot Boba Fett on TESB :)

Greetz
    EV-9D9

3. Miz

Mar 11, 2001
    Ahhh, but that's only used in one particular scene and nowhere else, so technically it's a cue (like the asteroid field).

4. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Wrong!

Boba Fett's theme is the low theme played by the low brass or something at several Boba Fett points. It's kinda like a fanfare, but played quietly and in the low instruments.

1. Just after Han and Co. float away with the garbage and stuff. As we switch to the view *inside* Fett's cockpit, we hear his theme.

2. In Bespin, just after Vader pulls Han's blaster out of his hand and says, "I would be honored if you would join us", then Boba Fett steps out from behind Vader and you here it again.

To here what I'm talking about, you can either (a) watch ESB :D or (b) listen to track 3 on the 2nd ESB CD. It's the very first thing you hear on the track.

In conclusion, yes, there IS a Boba Fett theme, and yes, you missed it. :D :D

~Sithman~
    the sithiest J.E.D.I. around!

5. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    What's the time code for "We would be honored..."?

I've heard it at the beginning of "Attacking a Star Destroyer", and I think I've heard it elsewhere, but... ?

6. Na Wibo

Na Wibo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2000
    Additional themes/motives I've identified from ANH (one of these may be "stormtroopers" identified above - I'm not sure which theme that refers to):

Imperial Motif (played many times on board the corvette at the beginning)

Imperial Motif #2 (which sounds a lot like one section of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring), forms the basis of the TIE attack when escaping from the Death Star

Jawas theme

"Segue" theme - played a few times during external shots of the Death Star, eg just before the Leia torture droid scene, and when the Falcon jumps to hyperspace from Tatooine

Landspeeder motif

"Imperial two-step": Another motif used when Vader's around (difficult to describe these without musical notation!) - most noticable is just after "You're braver than I thought!", when the troops see them and Han runs off

"Weird theme from Ben's House" - don't know if this is a "theme", but it is used twice, once when Ben is telling Luke about Anakin, then just after the Falcon jumps to hyperspace from Tatooine (actually during the shot of Alderaan, I think)

There's also the Throne Room melody, which gets used again in a tiny way in ROTJ.

I might have some for the other films but I gotta go.

7. Demon_Lord_Piccolo

Demon_Lord_Piccolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2001
    Would the music played when the Tusken Raiders attack Luke be considered a theme? Probably not because it's only played that one time but it sounds like it's distinctively for them.

8. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    You missed two themes from TPM: Shmi's Theme (heard in "Anakin is Free" and the Qui-Gon Jinn tone poem) and Darth Maul's primal motif (heard while Darth Maul is facing Qui-Gon while he is meditating, when he arrives on Tatooine and right before Qui-Gon's theme comes full force in "Qui-Gon and Darth Maul Meet").

9. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    You actually hear Boba Fett's motif three times in ESB.

1. When the bounty hunters are introduced on Vader's ship.

2. When Boba begins tailing the Falcon.

3. When Vader captures Han and company.

There's an Imperial motif as well in ANH. It's three notes. You hear it first when Vader steps onto the Blockade Runner and makes his first SW appearance. It pops up every once in a while in the film.

10. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I know some disconsider it, but since I love it and think it's a part of SW soundtrack just as much:...

Shadows of the Empire
    Dash Rendar's theme
    Xizor's theme
    what else?

11. Na Wibo

Apr 28, 2000
    Son of the Suns (or anyone else): Can you post the location of Shmi's Theme? You mentioned it's in "Anakin is Free". How far into the track (in MM:SS)?

Also, I've heard that JW snuck in the theme for General Zod into a scene with Chancellor Valorum. Does anyone know what that theme is, and where on the soundtrack?

OK one more: Is there a theme on the soundtrack for Amidala/Padme? I've heard that JW wrote one but it is only on one of the TV ads.

Thanks,
    NW

12. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Boba Fett has a theme??? Does it appear in the films??

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Uh, yah. dehrian and I listed the 3 times where it can be heard.

[image=http://www.bestanimations.com/Sci-Fi/StarWars/Emporer-01.gif]
    ~Sithman~

14. Na Wibo

Apr 28, 2000
    I'm going to attempt to answer my own question (about Shmi's theme) and see if anyone can correct me.

Shmi's theme is on the UE soundtrack, Disc 1, track 27, for the first 15 seconds or so (as Anakin is first starting up his pod). A variant appears on Disc 2, track 1, at 2:14 and again at 3:01.

The theme is in 3 (ie triple meter), going something like this:
    | E A | G F E | D E F | E

Listening to more of the soundtrack, I noticed that a motif using the contour of those first 3 notes (E A G) pops up lots of other places, such as the beginning of Disc 1, Track 24 (at dinner); a few times in Disc 2, Track 29. Considering when it's used, I think it represents the relationship between Anakin & Shmi, rather than just Shmi herself.

Another TPM theme/motif to add to the database is a descending motif that appears many times. The easiest to spot are:

Disc 1, Track 3, at 0:45 and 1:16
    Disc 1, Track 19, beginning
    Disc 1, Track 23, beginning (high strings)
    Disc 2, Track 5, at 0:35 in low voices
    Disc 2, Track 28, at 0:10 (brass)

But I might just be imagining that one.

15. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    One theme that's often missed is the one known as the Tatooine motif. It appears briefly in an ANH when the droids are descending to Tatooine in the escape pod, and is developed more in TPM as the Naboo cruiser arrives at Tatooine and the walk to Mos Espa.

ANH SE - Disc 1 - Track 3 - 4:48 to 4:55
    TPM UE - Disc 1 - Track 17 - :33, played several times over to the end of the track

16. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    And I'm surprised no one has mentioned Amidala's theme. It does exist, according to the "Episode I Behind the Scenes" cd-rom set. It was supposed to be one of the more developed themes in Episode I, and I think Williams had even planned on have a complete theme on the original soundtrack. But for some reason, Lucas nixed the idea (I think because he has different plans for Padme/Amidala ;) ) While it's kinda obscure, I think I've picked it up bits and pieces of it in these locations on the TPM UE:

Disc 1 - Track 6 - played numerous times, with different instruments
    Disc 1 - Track 14 - :29 to :42
    Disc 1 - track 15 - played twice in fanfare fashion, from :00 to :27 (and used again in the podrace sequence, replacing another piece composed. I think this was used to convey the fact that Anakin was not only racing for his freedom, but Amidala/Padme's as well)
    Disc 1 - Track 26 - played throughout in a playful manner, mixed with Anakin's theme. This is what is present on the "Behind the Scenes" disk as Amidala/Padme's theme

I'm sure it's in other places, including disc 2, but since we only have pieces of it and not the fully presented theme that Williams intended, I can't be sure. He'll probably recompose the theme for Episode 2 (for spoiler reasons) like he did the Imperial theme for ESB (because the "face" of the Empire changes as we know it).

17. Na Wibo

Apr 28, 2000
    Tin Buk Tu - if you notice parts of Amidala/Padme's theme elsewhere in the soundtrack, could you post those as well? I'm not really catching what the pieces so far have in common.

PS It appears that you know something I don't (ie spoilers), so I appreciate your discretion! I'm hoping I can keep reading this board and remain unspoiled. :)

18. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    Na Wibo , I'll "keep an ear out" for any other occurences of her theme. It's really hard to pick out, because I think it may be the most complex theme of all the characters. Williams really liked what he had composed, and I hope it is released someday in full. It should be a lot easier to discern then.

What I was referencing to with Padme isn't a major spoiler. As a matter of fact, the information I'm referring to is freely given on the official site. But if you wanna remain completely spoiler free, I suggest you avoid it.

19. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    The one thing that really bothered me about the TPM:UE was the lack of linear notes present in the SE soundtracks. This bothered me even more than the lack of a real complete score (I guess because the music was attainable elsewhere). Without the linear notes, it's hard to discern whose music is whose.

20. Miz

Mar 11, 2001
    I've resurfaced this thread because someone was looking for it. (And i created it, so i'm chuffed).

21. Count_Midiclorian

Count_Midiclorian Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2002
    Wow! There are a lot of motifs mentioned here. Has anyone created a defintive set of midis or short sound clips that illustrate these themes?

I ran across one site (http://home.no.net/wagner/starwars.html) that has a number of short midi files expressing the major SW themes (and comparing them to Wagner's Ring motifs). However, the site comes nowhere close to recounting all the themes mentioned in this thread...

22. Gregatron

Gregatron Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    Everyone forgot the "Droids" Theme for Atroo and Threepio from ESB.

23. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Shadows of the Empire:

Dash's Theme
    Xizor's Theme
    Coruscant Theme

24. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    In the booklet that comes with the ESB: SE sountrack, it states that there is a Han Solo theme. I listened to the track that it said it can be heard and sure enough, it is there. It sounds like the first part of the love theme, but a few notes are different. It can be heard at:

Disc 1--Track 5 at 13:10 to the end. It appears several times starting at this point and it rounds out when Luke takes off in his X-Wing.

25. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Provide timecodes for Han Solo theme, Droids, etc... Someone please?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.