main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD ~ The big tiding up after the big move - updated & question (incl. temp-Index) ~

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Sep 16, 2012.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am wondering if mine should be stickied as it is an info thread. You determine what you think is best. I will work on part 2 of the opening posts tonight.

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    You're cool! :)

Usually stickied threads get overlocked fast and it's annoying when there are too many. In case I'd add one informational, I would like to add about at least five more threads... but that would fill up most of the page, especially if you have a small screen/monitor. That's why I will only make the index a stickied one (the 20 posts will be an unsticky one soon) and add all the important threads in the first part of that thread. In addition, informational threads can always be linked in welcome posts or upped when useful. :)

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That is sound logic. You are wise.

4. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I haven't seen Fallen in a while, but we do have ours in progress. I have her portion in PM, though, so I do have it if you would like me to get started on that.

Do you have some examples for the Newcomer's guide to FanFiction? I'm an avid writer, so I'm interested. :)

I was wondering about the adoptions as well, the thread's not very active right now, so I was wondering if that was the old one or the new one, and whether or not we were even still doing adoptions.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Gah, sorry, I meant to get that fanfic one up sooner. I'll work on it tonight.

6. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Go ahead! If you want me to take a look first, just pm it to me, please. :)

Adoptions is still there. Since you hinted me (thanks), I've added a new paragraph to the first post called "new versions". There you can find the link to the updated adoptions thread as well as to the other new versions. Of course, those who haven't been posted yet, can't be listed, but I'll add them as soon as they are up as well. :)

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    The link for the new 'Groups' thread in the New Users Guide stickied at the top of the page goes to an error page, as it is still linked to the older 2.0 version and not the one I am working on (I AM working on it...).

8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    You're speaking about the index, right? There are some broken links and it got cut during the move. That's why I want to re-do it after we have updated all threads. But I begin to think that it might be better to start with a stickied 'not finished' index than waiting for threads being updated and having a broken one stickied... I think I'll start working on the 'not finished index' tomorrow. :)

Until then, you'll find your thread and the link listed in this thread in the first post. There are all updated threads (and some more) listed already. :)

9. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    It's going forward! :D

I've added the informational threads to our description. It's not exactly the header like where they had been at the old boards, but I think it works, too. :)
    I'm just not very happy with the title of "adoptions". Somehow it sounds a bit like fund raising by adopting something (a tree or so). I would like to give it a better title, a short title that makes the user know what's behind it. Do you have any suggestions or ideas? :)

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    What about "Mentor Program"?

11. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Mentor Program is a good start. I've changed it. :)
    (Just, somehow, not sure, if it'll be the last name... but I give it a try. :) )

I've played around with the Description part at the top of the page (viewable while watching the thread list of WNU). What do you think? Too much color? Too less? Anything that should be changed? Added?

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Phase 2 of my "art project" informational thread will be in your inbox sometime within the next 5-7 days. I am looking for an appropriate picture to accompany the jokes & factoids and it requires a handful of edits from its first draft stage.

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    That'll be cool! :D

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'd almost make it a bit bigger, actually, to make it stand out a little more.

15. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I can try that tomorrow. :)

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    What do you think about the description now?

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I like it! A lot more eye-catching.

18. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks! :)

After being a bit hesistant, I start to like it as well. :)

Everyone, more ideas are welcome! :)

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I'm thinking about creating a thread that's called "special features", since lots of things have changed and some are not typical for a forum. In addition some things get asked regularly like "how to add an icon". But everyone has a different view and got to know different forums, I'd like to work out a list of topics that should be explained in such a thread. Everyone, oldbie, midbie and especially newbies, is welcome to add their thoughts and topics that should be added to that list.

Here's my start:

"special features"
    -Trophies
    -Ranks
    -Tag a member
    -how to add an icon

What should be added as well?

20. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Any ideas? :)

21. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    The Pillow Fight Thread OP is coming along. I just need to find the original opening bit from the last version (hopefully it's not truncated), and I'll send it your way.

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Ehm, you don't wanna re-start Pillow Fight with the same intro of the last thread, don't you? Re-starting and in some way updating means to re-write intros as well (new/fresh ideas), not just copying/pasting it...

Btw, I'll send you a PM in a minute.

23. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    No. I just meant if there was any standard stuff, such as links to the old threads, names of old founders, etc. ;)

24. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I see. Linking to the old version is always welcomed. :)

25. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Upping, since first post got updated - some more threads got finished. :)

Any more ideas about "special features"? See my post above. I like to create a thread that is about... yeah... special features like:
    -Trophies
    -Ranks
    -Tag a member
    -how to add an icon

What should be added as well?