main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala The Black Corset Piece

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Ellie, it's stunning!! What a gorgeous job you've done on the corset! :) The rest of the details are fantastic too - I like the way you did the skirt, with the silvery lace overlay on black. VERY nice. Welcome aboard!!

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    If there's one thing we're good at around here, it's encouraging fellow costumers to make more, more, more! So, make that deleted family scene gown. You know you want to! [face_mischief]

I think the array of versions that our members here have made of this particular costume have all been done extremely well. Hooray! :)

3. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    I know I'm late on this...but Ellie....your costumes are beautiful!!

I LOVE your Holly Golightly costume!!

Would you be able to help me out with that? What pattern did you use?

4. Obi-WanEdwardian

Obi-WanEdwardian Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2004
    The pattern I used for my Holly dress was an old Simplicity one, No. 9241-I'm fairly sure that it's no longer available though, sorry! You may be able to pick it up from an old stock dealer online or something though. (Ebay is good for discontinued patterns, I've gotten a few like that before now)

The dress was the easy part of that one-it was finding the accessories that was hard!

I'm amazed at the 'trade' my Corset Gown is doing on Ebay-over a hundred and fifty views already! It's only been live for a few hours! That's easily far more than anything I've ever sold on there before. The magic of those two words 'Star Wars', eh?! Oh well, I hope someone will want to buy it as well as look!

Ellie

5. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    Thanks Ellie :) I'll be on the lookout for it :)

6. katha

katha Jedi Master star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    Sorry I'm not trying to intrude in this thread.. just I really need help and I've asked in the 2004projects and also made my own thread.

I'm trying to make some gauntlet gloves for my custom Jedi robes. I've gotten a few suggestion but no one can give me any good answers on how to make them.

Then I rememebered the black corset gown had similar gloves, which brings me here. I saw on padawansguide.com that McCalls 3380 was suggested. Apparently this pattern is no longer available.

So, what other patterns have you all used for your gauntlets? Note: I want the gauntlets mid-forearm length and preferably in navy-blue leather/pleather.

Again.. hope I'm not being too far off topic with this..please don't yell at me *puppy eyes*

7. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Would you consider drafting your own?

When you say gauntlets and say mid arm, I'm thinking you are meaning simply guards for the forarms...

It's super easy to do, and you can do all sorts of customisations. layering for a dimentional effect etc.

It's much, much harder to describe than to actually do. It really is.

these are some links that are a bit different:
    http://www.shira.net/cg/gloves.htm
    For belly dancing I believe.. might be useful for the main purpose of this thread though;)

One of the big difficulties is that what you are after is actually a pattern for a vambrace:) A Gauntlt protects the hand and wrist;)

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Vambrace.htm

Finally:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/here-be-dragons/pages/vambrace.htm
    This sounds like what you need.

8. Obi-WanEdwardian

Feb 19, 2004
    Yes, the gauntlets I made for the Black Corset Gown were just to my own design.

I've topped three hundred views on Ebay now, I'm staggered!

Ellie

9. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Ellie I'm a little late to the party--But your corset gown looks fabolous (as do you) :) It is beautifully sewn, and I love the details. I hope it brings you lots of Moo-lah! LOL!

I checked out your site, and your dresses are wonderful!! I especially love your Cinderella gown!! How Dreamy--I bet it was fun to wear! I saw that you love 'My Fair lady', as do I. I can't wait to see your dresses from that movie--I have made the 'Ascot' dress, but that's the only one for now. Too many dresses on my 'to do before I die' list! :)

Welcome, and I hope to see more of your beautiful dresses!!

~Ferd :)

10. Obi-WanEdwardian

Feb 19, 2004
    Hi Ferd, many thanks for your nice comments!

I'd seen your 'Ascot', the only 'fan' that one I've ever seen, actually! You did a great job on it. I've got the lace to do mine, but oh, THAT hat...well, one day! Like you, I too have too many ideas, and not enough time!

Ellie

11. katha

katha Jedi Master star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    Thanks for the input. I mean the fingerless gloves just like on this gown (the black corset) only instead of being opera length, they come up to mid forearm. For more information please see the thread I started.

Sorry if I was confusing, but gauntlet is what the gloves were called on padawansguide.

12. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Katha Gauntlets are very easy to create without a pattern- If you are working with plather (faux leather) the material will have a slight stretch to it. You just want the stretch to go around the arm not up and down. Like Neimhaille said, it is harder to describe than to do. Just rougly take a piece of paper around your arm (or have a friend do it) and allow for seam allowance (although a fabric with a stretch will need to be cut smaller so that the stretch makes a nice tight fitting glove). For opera length just draw the pattern piece long enough for the length you need plus hem at both ends. Taper the piece down (obviously your upper arm is bigger than your lower arm) You will leave the seam open near the bottom of one side so that your thumb can stick out the side when the gloves come down over your wrist. You are basically making a tube like a sock--Very simple. Fool proof--You can keep taking it in until it's right.

For discontinued patterns (should you feel you HAVE to have a pattern) try ebay, or Monster Patterns, Or call the pattern company direct--Sometimes they have discontinued patterns in stock.

Also Kwik-Sew patterns makes a glove pattern that is simple, and could easily be modified to fingerless gloves.

Finally, you can buy a cheap pair of opera gloves and cut them open to use as a pattern.

Hope that helps! :)

~Ferd

13. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000

Finally, you can buy a cheap pair of opera gloves and cut them open to use as a pattern.

That is a terrific idea (that Ferd's so sharp!)-- many costume shops have very inexpensive costumey gloves in various lengths for well under $10.
    If you're trepidatious about making a gauntlet without a pattern, this may be the easiest route to take.

14. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Ahh, see the things on Padme are really long mitts or long gloves cut off at the knuckles and thumb;)

Mitts is probaby the best name for them;) I did just find a pattern for those on the GBACG site. Mitts were at the length you are wanting during the 18th and 19thC.
    1840s cottn "lace" mitts
    scroll down to the bottom section and look for the blue text link "lace mitts" See how long they could be;)
    Wedding mitts These have been laid out flat so you can see the subtle curve that starts out at the fore-arm, in at the wrist and out over the hand again.

They are still called this in modern costume terms too:
    lace and satin mitts galore all stretch though.
    more lace mitts
    Cinderlla costume with mitts
    Beware, Chicken dance midi on loop.....

Oh if any of these links do have to be removed, just try a search for lace mitts in google. None are SW related sites though.

Just looking for the pattern... I mean if you are wanting to make them out of a specific pattern that is:)
    GBACG pattern review of Kannik's corner
    It looks like the pattern comes with other bits and lots of documentation too.

Heck in Revolution in Costume I'm sure there is a set of black leather ones;) Definately solid and dark. But I haven't seen the book for a while so I'd need to double check:)

15. BellaSabrina

Oct 13, 2002
    I can't find the pattern for the Holly dress on ebay! :( I'll keep looking, because I'm SO determined to do it :)

16. Obi-WanEdwardian

Feb 19, 2004
    Keep looking! It can take a while, but you can normally find older patterns online one way or another.

I've had over 800 views on Ebay now-still not one blasted bid though!!!

Ellie

17. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    What are the measurements on it for those of us who are not familar with UK sizing? Also, can it be taken in/let out if the size is a little off?

18. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I'm trying to design a version of this dress that will look good on a pear-shaped figure. Any ideas?

19. Obi-WanEdwardian

Feb 19, 2004
    Apologies for the lateness of this reply re. the sizes, particularly as my auction has about an hour and a half to go as I write! The corset was ideally suited to someone with a roughly 25" waist; that would mean they would be pulled in really nicely by it, for that definitive 'Anakin's eyes are going to pop out when he sees me in this' clinched-waist look. But as seen on me in the photos, it will fit someone smaller, but just not pull them in so much, and of course it will go a bit larger, too.

The skirt was 25" at the waist, with no room for letting it out.

Well, looks like I've sold it anyway, hurrah!

20. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Hey everyone,

Just wanted to post a note here that I'm ready to part with my costume (wig and all) so if anyone is interested please contact me via private message. :)

21. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Lowered the price and the 'Buy it Now' as well!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4167545168&category=19255&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

Only 2 days left!

Edit: I can't seem to ge the link to work. If you want to serch by seller on ebay my ID is elizabetadellaraosa.

Thanks!

22. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Eventually I'd love to tackle this-once I finally manage to get a working sewing machine (and finally get a job!), however, I'd like to make the gloves and corset out of a silky satiny type material rather than leather. Would that work? I think it would be more comfortable in the long run.

23. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Hehe! You forgot to mention WAAS in your sig, hun! ;)

I think a satin or something would work well. It would be much more comfortable on the arms as you won't swell up as much, and it would be easier to launder. I'll tell yah, I hated taking my pleather corset into the dry cleaner. They looked at me like I was nuts...

24. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Vogue has a new pattern out that would be a great jumping off point for this costume. It is #2810 and has a great corset top with hook front and lacing back, and a bias cut tight fitting skirt with a mermaid type train/tail in the back.

LOL! Black leather corset to the drycleaners...They say everyone's dirty little secrets come out in the wash :) Hee hee hee...You're that naughty girl with the kinky fetish wear.

~Ferd :)

25. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Yeah, I hate to say this, but I have sensitive skin, and when I wear long sleeves on a warm day, the insides of my elbows break out in a rash from sweat. (Yeah, I know that's gross).
    Hehehe...well since I'm a beginner as well, I think it would be easier on ME.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.