Padme Amidala The Black Corset Piece

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FenigDurak Jedi Master

star 4
    Quote:
    LOL! Black leather corset to the drycleaners...They say everyone's dirty little secrets come out in the wash Hee hee hee...You're that naughty girl with the kinky fetish wear.

~Ferd

Gee! Isn't that comforting to know! I'm just glad I don't have that dry cleaner on Seinfeld that wears everything. I'd freak out if I knew my stuff was being worn.
  2. Orcagal Jedi Padawan

dunno how useful this will be at this point: you all seem to have made the dress now. but this site has some amazing pics of the dress, as well as a guide to how the seamstress re-created it!

http://www.moviecostumes.com/starwars-blackleather.htm
  3. Young_Amidala Jedi Padawan

Hello everyone! I'm new here.
    I have to wear this costume for a convention party in october and I'd like some tips for the making

Orca!!! I find you everywhere!!! I'm Francy! From the Starfury and CK!!!
  4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Welcome to you both! :)

I know this thread is a bit longish, but there's a lot of really good info in it about how different people have made this gown.
    Also, if you haven't seen the page devoted to it at the Padawan's Guide, go take a look: Making the corset costume (P-7) It has a great 'how-to' overview written up by FERD. :)
  5. Orcagal Jedi Padawan

Hullo again! tehe, i think you find me here cus i posted the link to here on the starfury site!!!!! thinking of doing this costume too eh? im still undecided - the illyria one im planning may take all my time/money!!!! the link above is the best source of pictures ive found about, but these people here seem to have a wealth of knowledge!
  6. Young_Amidala Jedi Padawan

Yeah, guess so.

It was the nicest dress of all! and then I have to prepare the friday and the sunday costume!!!
  7. Aure Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hello!

I was looking at the hi-res pictures of the corset gown at Padawans guide (lovely site, btw), and noticed, that the gauntlets have black buttons on their wrist. One can see the buttons quite well also from the picture of the glove from British Fact File that Benae Quee sent to the Padawans guide.

I red this thread through (hastily) and I didn't see anyone mentioning this, so I thought to do it myself.
  8. Orcagal Jedi Padawan

hi there,

thought id share this pic of me in my finished version of this padme gown!

My padme outfit
  9. jedilucass Jedi Master

star 2
    Orcagal, great job! You look great!

~Laura
  10. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Awesome job, Orcagal! You look great in it!
  11. Ame_V Jedi Knight

star 1
    A bit late, but I also have to say that your dress is lovely, Orgagal! How did you do the gloves? I'm having issues with them myself, and wondering what the secret is. Yours look perfect.

So! I have all the materials bought for my very own corset dress, except the silver headbands. I just bought feather trim at Hobby Lobby, along with more beads, on Saturday, and it is so perfect! It was $5.99 a yard, and I figured four yards would be enough, which was lucky because that's how much there was left on the spool! It's really nice, though. I think it's nearly as high quality as the black feather trim I found at Hancock's a couple months ago that was $12 a yard, so I'm pretty happy with it. The feathers aren't pure black, either. They have an irridescent green shimmer to them, which is lovely.

I am going to experiment with the corset because I hate using boning, and my mom has been making oodles of purses out of this plastic mesh-type stuff. I think it's called Pet Mesh or Pet Screen or something like that. Anyway, she got it at a quilt store. I think it would work to make the corset in three layers with the black satin I'm using in place of leather on the outside, the lining on the inside, and between the two layers an entire corset made out of this mesh stuff. I think it would be very sturdy and better than boning.

Well, I'll keep you all updated on how it works. Right now I need to go make supper. Toodles!

-Ame
  12. LadyZam Jedi Padawan

Hi Guys,

I've also made this costume and I liked how it turned out, although I'll replace the sleeves at some point.
    here are some pics:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/goldlady/padme.htm
    and my website is: www.starwarscostumes.tk
  13. Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Knight

star 1
    oooOOOoo purdy :) Very nice. Did you make the corset yourself?
  14. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
  15. LadyZam Jedi Padawan

Thanks guys,

yes I made everything from scratch. But this is nothing, check out the rest of my costumes, the Zam Wesell and Parade costume were a lot more challenging, as is the lake gown I'm working on now.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/goldlady/star_wars_costumes.htm
  16. Ame_V Jedi Knight

star 1
    LadyZam, I think your costumes are amazing! Especially the Zam one. Really fantastic! And I'd like to know how you did the gloves for this costume, and what you would do differently if you redid them.

I finally got started on the skirt for this one! It's done, actually. It didn't take very long, because the pattern is way easy. I used this one, but I'm not using it for the corset. (I'm using this pattern for that.) The skirt isn't as "mermaidish" as I would like, but oh well. It's not perfect. I really wish I had a digital camera so I could post pics! I wanted one for Christmas, but alas. Maybe I'll get one for my birthday! (March 14, just in time for Celebration III! Hint, hint.)

Anyway, I used two yards of silver satin (45" wide) and a yard and a half of my black overlay, (60" wide) which is a stiff sheer fabric I think is called organza or something like that, with a random all-over pattern of thick textured black lines. I think the pattern is actually some type of plastic fused onto the surface. It's very hard to explain.

It's also a pain to work with. I didn't use my good fabric scissors to cut it because of the plastic, which was probably a very good idea. Then sewing it was a beast as well. Especially the darts! The seams weren't so bad, but the darts were hideous. It's because the fabric doesn't like to be folded, and the darts were rather small and there were eight of them. But they turned out nice. Hemming was fun, too. Oh, but I had virtually no problems with the zipper! If you know anything about me at all you should know that I hate sewing zippers. Unless they're invisible zippers, which I find quite easy. But this one wasn't invisible, and I actually did it right, on the first try! I was happy.

Anyway, that's all my updates on this costume for now. I have all the materials, (except the headbands) but it's just a matter of finding time to work on it. Well, I'll have more to post soon, hopefully!

-Ame
  17. StormXPadme Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm searching for a fitting fabric for the skirt... Does anyone perhaps know of a online shop that has a fitting one?

*edit* I've worn an improvized version of my gown on my brother's wedding last April. It's improvised because the skirt is horrible, the corset isn't the correc material (it doesn't show on the picture, though), the gauntlets were wrong material and wrong shape... all improvised but the headpiece and the scarf. but you get the idea where I'm heading :D

http://mitglied.lycos.de/stormxpadme/collage.jpg
  18. Jayne Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just search for black lace, and try to find one that's not too floral. Mine was a flame/paisley lace from JoAnn's, but I haven't seen it there for about a year. Then layer the lace over a silvery material. Mine was satin, but taffeta or lining would be ok, too.
  19. Ame_V Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't have pictures of my skirt (which is the only part completed so far) yet, but I do have one picture that I just remembered I had of the black overlay fabric. You can view it here.

You can see that it's not as heavy a pattern as the original, but I thought it was a close enough approximation. And I really like how it turned out! Must do something about pictures, though. Hmm, my neighbor has a digital camera... I'll get back to you on that!

-Ame

edit: I got this fabric at Hancock's in Rochester, MN, in case I forgot to say that already.
  20. StormXPadme Jedi Knight

star 1
    well my friend who's doing the skirt for me and I now decided to do it the way it was originally doen, with a white underskirt and black lace over it. already got the white yesterday, and today I found same nice black lace... I hope to find a better one till we start doing it though. Still too flourish... oh well *G* Keep you updated *G*
  21. StormXPadme Jedi Knight

star 1
    okay I have one small lil problem with that costume... I'll have it completely done on Sunday :D :D :D *finishing corset and gauntlets*, and so far everything fits perfectly... just this damn headpiece doesn't stay in place :/ anyone has suggestions/experience and can help me? I've tried it with hair pins, but they don't seem to be strong enough... without anything, it keeps on sliding down my forehead... that'll really be a problem since I'm wearing it a whole day and probably another half a day when we camp for ROTS...
  22. Jayne Jedi Knight

star 2
    Is it metal? Can you bend it so that it kind of 'pinches' your head without hurting? Is it open in the back or closed?
  23. StormXPadme Jedi Knight

star 1
    yep metal, that's the problem :/ I mean, it's great because it really looks good, but there's no way to keep it in place right now... it's open, yes... just half a circle with a hole in each end...
  24. ThePariah Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe you can take something--a chain, cord, etc.--and loop it onto the ends of your headpiece so that you can literally tie it to your head (think of those Ren Faire circlets that have the link chain in the back to secure it). I made a circlet for my Jedi costume out of thin leather cord, and for lack of a better solution, I'm just tying a knot at the back of my head to secure it. :p

And with the hairstyle for this costume, it's very easy to have whatever you use hidden under your hair.
  25. StormXPadme Jedi Knight

star 1
    sometimes the easiest solutions are the hardest ones to see LOL well I'll just try that :D I'll take a first pic on Sunday anyway, then I'll just try *G*
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.