Padme Amidala The Black Corset Piece

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Amidala-Leia Jedi Master

star 4
    I want to do the white tatooine as well. I absolutely fell in love with this one after seeing it in the visual dictionary pic. Have a long way to go though.

2. Marianne_Solav Jedi Master

star 2
    Yes, THANK YOU Kirsten ! It will be very helpful! :)

I will go this week-end to buy plastic pearls for the 'necklace'. My mom and me estimated something like 550 pearls! I am thinking of using extra strong fishing lines to make it in 5 rows. Somebody has advices that can help me? I wouldn't want to see it break all over the place and see people trip! :p
  3. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, this is kinda the cheater's route, but it would work:

You can buy plastic pearls and beads in long strands - they're usually wrapped on a cardboard "spool." I've seen 'em at fabric stores and crafting stores. Just take those, cut several strands to the right length, attach, and there you go.

Of course, then there's the hard way of stringing by hand - which is probably what me and several other people would actually do. In that case, better get started! Although it will be *very* beautiful. :)

As for string - I've used "nymo" before - it's a nylon filament that's used specifically for beading, and is *very* strong. Fishing line also works, but it's thicker and tends to keep it's curl (from being wrapped on the spool) until you have quite a bit of weight strung onto it. Either one would probably do very nicely, though.

kreleia ^.^
  4. Jedi_Riibu Jedi Master

star 4
    Bingo:

[image=http://www.hal-9000.net/wwwboard/images/np_esquire.jpg]
  5. Obischick Force Ghost

star 4
    Excellent pic!! Where did you get it??

~Obischick
  6. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    Here is a high definition picture of this dress...shows the beads really well, and also shows the "blouse" texture.
  7. Amidala-Leia Jedi Master

star 4
    Mrs_M, you always find good pics. Thanks for this one. Does anyone know if there's a pic that shows all of the blouse? If you do and could post the link I would appreciate it :)
  8. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    I haven't seen any full pics :eek:(
  9. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    here's the newest pic...a closer view of the blouse. Unfortunatly, it's still not very detailed. But better than nothing!

[image=http://www.episode-x.com/episode2/gallery/img/oswfc25/39.jpg]
  10. Joreth Jedi Padawan

This corset is made of leather. I don't know where to find a pattern, but it looks simple enough. Get a standard Corset pattern that otherwise matches, then add the neck/chest piece to the existing pattern. If you're using a stiff enough leather, then combined with the collar, it should lay flat against the chest.
  11. robo_obi Force Ghost

star 4
    I know who would look great in this dress.....................................................................................

my girlfriend...she is sooooo sexy!! :)
  12. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    It will lay flat if you use light boning (most corset patterns call for it anyways).

But I think you can get away with not using leather (for budget's sake), and instead using a leather-look fabric or vinyl.
  13. Amidala-Leia Jedi Master

star 4
    For those of you that have seen the pics of the full dress, any ideas on the skirt part?
  14. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The skirt part looks (to me) like the latest rage in "little black dresses" - y'know, black lace lined with nude-colored satiny fabric. The lace used on this skirt, though, is fairly dense (the pattern), so the lining doesn't show an awful lot. (If you ask me, I think it's very classy-looking that way. :) )

It also looks like a modified "mermaid" skirt - more form-fitting around the hips and thighs, and looser past the knees. Although, it's not too extreme. Of course, since I've only seen the one full-length pic of Natalie wearing it, there may be some surprises in the back of the skirt that we don't know about.

Feel free to dispute this now. ;)

kreleia ^.^

EDIT: I'll be the first dispute. :D Now that I'm looking at the pic again, the skirt looks like a straight skirt for the main part, and then has a train of sorts attached to the back, giving it the full look off to the one side. It looks like the train was brought around for the picture for artistic effect. It could also be that there's a slit up the back of the skirt, to about knee-height, and then extra fabric was added into the slit, creating a train effect that way.
  15. Marianne_Solav Jedi Master

star 2
    A pattern to make the skirt the way Kreleia said is to use McCall's 3163. There is also McCall's 3380 that could be used (the back of the skirt is longer to create a train).

I have both. :D Still have to get that fabric though. [face_plain]
  16. Amidala-Leia Jedi Master

star 4
    Finding the fabric I think might be a challenge. Thanks for the help with the skirt guys :)
  17. Marianne_Solav Jedi Master

star 2
    Well I took the cheater's route! [face_devil]
    I bought a pearl curtain to put in a doorway with black strands of pearls (I'm not sure if anybody know what I mean). I just have to take the strands off of the plastic holder and put it around my neck maybe attached with something! I was looking for plastic pearls at the flea market and the lady had those curtains and suggested that idea to me. :) It is really light and the lady told me that it is really strong (she has one outside of her shop and there's wind and people getting stuck in it all the time and it didn't break yet!)

And I bought the fabric finally. I went to many places and only found 2 fabric (one at 9$/meter and the other at 49$/meter). I took the one at 9$! And I bought a satin-like fabric for the underskirt(?) cream color.

For the headbands, I will use metal bands from ear-phones (? I don't remember the word, I tried the translator), what is used to listen music from a walkman) I will drill a hole at each end and put a string to attach under my hair.

About the hairstyle... It looks like a simple low ponytail or a braid, right? Anybody saw a pic of the back?

My aunt (great, kind, wonderful, nice,... :D ) will do the corset with the vinyl I bought and I asked her to make some kind of small purse or bag to put my camera and stuff in with the same fabric. She will also do the gloves with it. (I fear it will be very hot inside my costume!)

So it's going very well! :D I was worried for a while.
    And sorry for the long post!
  18. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    I vote for a long braid at her nape. Look at these pics:

[image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c60cd515/bc/Star+Wars/__tn_06.jpg?bcus2E9AdOt.m4Mt]

[image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c60cd515/bc/Star+Wars/__tn_07.jpg?bcus2E9AvUx6gdk9]

EDIT: Sorry! Those pics came out really small! If anyone wants to see them better, PM me and I'll email them to you.
  19. ladystar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Don't worry about the size Mrs M..at least you can get your pictures to post!! :)
    Mine are always the same bright red X!!
  20. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well, I was just looking at that picture of the shawl/blouse, and is it just me or does it look to be made out of dark brown and black mottled feathers?

I can swear that's what it is.....
  21. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    So how is everyone else's costumes going? EII is coming up soon! :D
  22. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it is feathers! I was looking at that last night. First of all, on the inside front cover of the paper doll book(If someone can scan this pic, it would be great!) there is a concept drawing of the dress. The shawl/blouse looks like it is shaggy, and possibly made of feathers. Then, on the page with the black dress, the photo of the blouse top looks like it is made of ostrich feathers! I don't own a scanner, so I can't put pics up, but I would bet money that it's made of feathers. [face_clown]
  23. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    FEATHERS!?? :eek: [face_laugh] Okay, I've been considering doing this dress too, and I think I'll stick with the corset and skirt when I do. I don't know how much I want to go messing with feathers... ;)

kreleia ^.^
  24. jedichic07 Jedi Master

star 4
    ok I checked fredrick's.. nothing that will work there... I looked on hottopic.com too... no luck, where else do you think we should look for the corset?? Also, when you make your skirt piece, are you making two layers of fabric... I don't sew, it may sound like a dumb question..
  25. jedichic07 Jedi Master

star 4
    ok I checked fredrick's.. nothing that will work there... I looked on hottopic.com too... no luck, where else do you think we should look for the corset?? Also, when you make your skirt piece, are you making two layers of fabric... I don't sew, it may sound like a dumb question..
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.