Padme Amidala The Black Corset Piece

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Master

star 4
    Here's a few more pictures of the costume...

Full page from the Paper Doll book
    [image=http://outerrim.iinet.net.au/Corset_Costume/PaperDoll.jpg]

From some magazine
    [image=http://outerrim.iinet.net.au/Corset_Costume/gekko(crop).jpg]

Screenshot from a trailer
    [image=http://outerrim.iinet.net.au/Corset_Costume/padme_black_front1(crop).jpg]

Close up of feather top
    [image=http://outerrim.iinet.net.au/Corset_Costume/padme_black_makingof11_4(crop).jpg]

From the Visual Dictionary
    [image=http://outerrim.iinet.net.au/Corset_Costume/vd58(crop).jpg]
  2. Amidala-Leia Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for posting the close up of the feather top FA! Much appreciated :)
  3. pivy Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey all,
    I just got into SW costuming (I've done some different stuff in the past--Ren Faire, Moulin Rouge, etc.) about a week ago! :) A friend invited me to the midnight show and the black corset look appealed to me the most. :)
    I've got the standard "ulitmate corset" from Fredrick's (you know, just something I had lying around...) It's satin but it looks vinyl-y. For the skirt, I went with Butterick's 6401, which is really eay for those of you that don't sew much; it only took me about 3 hours to make. You can adapt the godet to make a longer train in the back or just leave it. I wove the neck scarf usuing small black pony beads (couldn't afford anything better) on one of those "indian" bead looms, and i work at a trophy shop so i just got one of the guys to cut me two thin strips of aluminum and roll them for me.
    I hope this helps anyone. I'm looking forward to doing something Jedi-y next. :)
    --Ivy
  4. Amidala-Leia Jedi Master

star 4
    Welcome to the world of SW costuming pivy and welcome to the boards :) If you have pics could you please post them. I'm looking to make this costume in the future(after I lose some weight ;) ) and I'm looking for the easiest way to make this.
  5. pivy Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've borrowed the 'rents' digicam, so as soon as I've got it together (and a photographer)I'll post some pics, if someone can explain to me how. :)

For future reference:n i ahve to say that whoever came up with the beaded curtain idea for the neckpiece was a genious! I wish I had thought of that; it would look so much better, but I dunno where to find (an inexpensive) one at the last minute... Props to them, though!
  6. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Master

star 4
    pivy "You can adapt the godet to make a longer train in the back or just leave it."

Umm... I'm not up with the lingo stuff, so can you please explain what a "godet" is?

EDIT I'm also wondering if anyone has found any decent up close images of the outfit?
  7. Neimhaille Force Ghost

star 3
    A godet is a triangular piece added to a hem (usually and in this case) to make a flare. It doesn't (usually) go right to the top of a piece, so you get an abrupt flare from a set point.

A gore on the other hand does go to the top of a panel and usually results in a more graduated flare.
    If anyone is familiar with SCA T tunics, what is used to make the skirts should really be called godets but because they are so large, people call them gores.

Note the word usually used copiously here, as people tend to use terms fairly interchangeably:)

Pivy, I'm currently gluing lots of rhinestones to (re)make my Pink Diamonds outfit from MR. Glad to see another person making MR cossies.
  8. pivy Jedi Knight

star 1
    Exactly. I left it the way it was in the pattern, but you can widen it if you want. It seems to me that it's the best way to get the effect from the picture of the back of her skirt sort of wrapping around to the side.

Neimhaille, if you know of any boards like this for MR, let me know, will you?
  9. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for clearing that up...

A couple more questions, how are people making the costume? Hand sewing, maching sewing? Any tips and tricks?

Also, where is everybody from? Coz I'm from West Australia and I've noticed that I don't know half the stuff you're talking about.. :D
  10. pivy Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh my Lord, hand sewing? I would have had to start a year ago. :)
    No way. I sewed my skirt by machine, nothing fancy; in fact my mom's old White which was her mom's before it was hers. I estimated the other day that it was about 50 years old. I swear those are the best and they hold up forever. none of those new fangles computer parts to go bad. :)
    If you don't understand something, just ask away, I'm sure somebody here will have an answer. I do have friends in both England and Autraila (east coast, tho) and I know that a lot of British-made patterns are different.
  11. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Master

star 4
    Well after seeing the movie last night I was disappointed to find out that I already had all the best shots of the dress taken from the Forbidden Love trailer... That's the only disappointing fact about the movie that I saw...
  12. padmefan Jedi Padawan

Hi everyone!

There are a lot of neat pictures on http://www.padawansguide.com/padme.shtml

I was wondering, does anyone know where to get the headband that Padme is wearing? Or how to somehow make one? I really like the two band look (or whatever it's called).

Thanks!
  13. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    OK ya'll--on this dress the "wrap" she wears early on in ths scene--in the original pics I saw I thought it was made of black eyelash fabric (you know that furry fuzzy stuff) but upin seeing it last night it looked to me to be made of long black feathers thats ends had been bound like in a bias piece. Anybody else see that???

My only suggestion on the headpiece is it kinda looks like a metal seam guage turned around so you can't see the measures--I don't know but it's medal and split in the middle--it possibly could work :) It would need extended with like black elastic to go underneath the hair do.
  14. seantree Jedi Padawan

I saw this done on another board, the girl used a regular leather corset and made the skirt with a gold colored backing with a black lace curtain for the overlay. it looked pretty good!

for the metal headband, check at a claire's boutique or similar store. they have thin metal headbands to keep your hair back, but i think they could be used around your head instead of on it.

for the scarf type necklace, sew together two long black scarves, go to a craft store and grab a bunch of beading and sequence and hot glue them on (sometimes these can be found in long strands.)
  15. pivy Jedi Knight

star 1
    Okay, I finished my costume in time for the midnight showing but I just got my pics up (finally!) I also posted a short little synposis of what I used to make/put together the costume.
    Check me out!
    This was a totally great costume for me to do at the last minute since I had or had access to most of the things I needed. Now I'm looking forward to something a little morw challenging (Aayla Secura, anyone? :))
  16. seantree Jedi Padawan

i think its great!

i'm doing an aayla secura costume (haven't started yet, just making a list of things i need and where to start!) i do think it's going to be pretty hard but fun! i've been thinking of ways to do the lek ku and i think a slush latex will work best.
  17. pivy Jedi Knight

star 1
    hey, there's a whole thread for her costume; I'd love to see you post over there so we can talk about this some more. :)

(Slush latex?? I have a lot to learn... :) )
  18. Amidala-Leia Jedi Master

star 4
  19. pivy Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks, I really appreciate it. :)
  20. Amidala-Leia Jedi Master

star 4
    Anytime Pivy. This costume is definitely on my list but in the distant future cause I got some weight to lose first. You've given me a place to start. Thanks agains :)
  21. afaeryschild Force Ghost

star 1
    Brand new pic of the over blouse
    and necklace from natalieportman.com

warning.. it's huge
  22. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
  23. Calixte Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Hi All,
    I decided after I make my female Jedi costume (based on page 26 of the Visual Dictionary, Ep 2) I am going to try my hand at the Black Corset Dress. I think I'm going to make it less like a costume and more like a real evening dress I can wear for formals and charity functions.

So, any suggestions on patterns you may have found that work for either the corset or skirt?

As for the beaded necklace I'm going to hunt in antique and thrift shops for those black cut beads that were really popular back in the day. I forget what they are called.

I'm going to use a cream or off-white colored silk for the underskirt. Not sure yet about the overlay of lace - I'm going to hunt high and low to find some really pretty black lace similar to the real costume.

Thanks!
    Calixte
  24. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Master

star 4
    Was going through TheForce.Net and I found the picture below...

[image=http://outerrim.iinet.net.au/Corset_Costume/swiuk38-padme02.jpg]

(The actual link of the image was too long and the link I put in didn't work, so I saved it and uploaded it to my site to link it... :D)

EDIT: Oh, and Calixte some patterns that have already been suggested in this thread are: McCall's 3163, 3380, Simplicity's 9180 and Butterick's 6401 (The link to this pattern is too long to work, to find it go to http://www.butterick.com/, click on "Shop" and do a search for it in the box on the left.)
  25. padmefan Jedi Padawan

Thanks,Ferdalump for the headpiece advice. I went over to Icies (Icicles or something like that- whatever, they're all owned by Afterthoughts anyway) and found a headband that was perfect. They have black and silver and it fits around the head perfectly. On the bottom of them, the metal sticks out slightly, so it might be best to bend it in or cut it off, but it isn't necessary. So yeah, check Claire's, Icicles or Afterthoughts (same store!) and you'll find 'em there. It was 4.50 separately or at the time I got it Buy one get one 1/2 off. Nice!
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.