Padme Amidala The Black Corset Piece

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Kreleia. I wouldn't use that program to generate a corset for this particular costume. I used it for my renaissance gown and it produces a distincly 'cone' shape. (and it's very uncomfortable) Not at all the lovely hour glass we are looking for. You might all want to try laughing moon patterns. they have a huge selction of victorian and civil war corsets. And I've heard only good reviews from them.
  2. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have to agree with Jedi Girl about the corest generator. Great for Elizabethan bodices and that kirtle Drea gives instructions for, but not for any other style.
  3. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, I've been studying the Elizabethan corset pattern, and I've decided it wouldn't work. I went pattern hunting at Wal-mart yesterday, and checked out the civil war corsets Ferd mentioned, and fell in love with the McCall's version - the thing is, it didn't look quite as "fitting" as the Simplicity version (which is a tad low along the top front line to wear alone). It was probably just the picture, and would be fine. As it is, I'd love to get an opinion (if that's possible) from anyone about whether the McCall's version would work - let me get both pictures here:

[image=http://www.simplicity.com/assets/9764/9764.jpg] Simplicity [image=http://www.mccall.com/renai/styles/3609lead.jpg] McCall's

AAAAACK!!! The McCall's picture is so small!!! Well, if you can see it, then let me know what you think. :D

kreleia ^.^
  4. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I have the simplicity version, I just haven't had time to make it yet.... ;)

Oh, and here's that link for that company I mentioned. They have many different corset patterns, and ready made corsets.. I think

Laughing Moon
  5. StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Knight

star 3
    If I were to go with any of them, I'd pick Laughing Moon first, then the McCall's. It just looks more late Victorian, which is almost what I think the style is; the top coming up as high as it does is also a plus. I don't think Butterick has any patterns for costume corsets--I haven't seen any, at least--which is unfortunate since I like the historical designs they've come out with in their Making History series.
  6. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, I was checking out the Laughing Moon corsets (the Dore Straight Seam Corset, in particular - thanks JGC!!!), and I'm thinking that's the way to go. The lines are just about perfect in comparison to the movie version. :) YAY!! Thanks so much to everyone for your help! I'm gonna go order this pattern and give it a go with my muslin and plastic featherweight boning first, then I'll re-work and re-run until I have the feel of the construction, and the look just right. :)

I'm sure I'll be asking for more help with this. And, while I wait for the pattern to arrive, I'm gonna work on my Blue Tatooine Dress - which was *supposed* to be done for the line-up... heh. Yeah. Anyway, thanks again!!

kreleia ^.^

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I picked up a pattern for the skirt already - it's McCall's #3163. There's another McCall's pattern with a skirt that's identical, so I'm not sure why I picked this one over that - I think the train's a tad shorter on this one. But I'm happy with it. :)
  7. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I know I was looking through my vogue pattern book, and they have several skirt patterns that would be awsome for this. Of course the price for vogue patterns can run a little high, but Joanns is having a huge sale on Friday and Saturday! I'm sure you can use those 50% coupons on one :)
  8. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Started beading the long strands of the necklace piece today. It goes *really* fast - I've got three strands done already, and it only took me an hour. Each strand is about 42 inches in length finished (based on my height and how long it will hang on me). I'm just using plain ol' crafting beads in black - bugle (the tube beads) and seed. WOOHOO!!

kreleia ^.^
  9. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The necklace strands are going well, but I went on a lace hunt today...

Is anyone else having as hard a time as me finding a good black lace to use?? Everything I've found so far is really floral (as in, it's almost inappropriate for *anything*), and far too expensive. I found one or two that would work, but both were $10 per yard! NO!!

Any tips or suggestions on online lace-stores (or fabric stores that carry a good selection of lace) would be much appreciated!! I've scoured the usual online places as well (trimfabric.com, hancock, phoenix textiles). I'll keep looking, but if anyone already knows, please share!!

Thanks!!
    kreleia ^.^
  10. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    KRELEIA- Can't help you find the lace-anything I could help find I know is somewhat pricey. I didn't use 2 layers(lace and lining) for my skirt-I found a print that I thought looked pretty darn close. I did not read a lot about this costume so I don't know how accurate it is-maybe they did use lace, but I just made it look like the pictures I saw. Take a look at my pics and see if a print fabric might get the look you're going for.

Ferd's link
  11. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks for the suggestions Ferd! I actually did expand my options and included print-fabric during my search. The thing is, apparently no one likes to send good looking prints to Arizona. (at least, that's how it seems **laugh**) I finally DID find a good black lace, though - at $2.99 a yard. :D Thank heavens for the fabric remnant store - WOOHOO!! I also got some great ribbon there for the blue Tattooine dress. :) They also had PLEATHER!!! YEAH!!! But I didn't purchase that since I haven't gotten the corset pattern yet. Still, nice to know it was there - and in a rather large roll.

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions and help!! It looks like this dress should start coming together very soon! :)

kreleia ^.^
  12. Miss_Lydia Jedi Padawan

There's a really good book for period costume patterns by Janet Arnold - just type her name into Amazon and you should get two results - it's the second book that's the most helpful, as it has victorian patterns in it. Do you guys cut your own patterns, or do you adapt from books or origional patterns? The corset actually looks fairly simple (for a corset!) it's just a question of getting the boning in just the right places and getting the proportions right....

oh damn, now I want to make one for myself! Might make a start after I've done this ***damn Arwen dress for my sister...
  13. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Finally purchased the headband from Lacis... wow, it sucks when money constraints come into play... :p
  14. Skuld Jedi Padawan

I'm helping a friend make this dress and I'm having a really hard time finding fabric for this costume. Anybody have an online source?
  15. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    This is the cutest thing I've ever seen!!!!

[image=http://www.pandorasattic.com/pandorasattic/Kelly_padme/IMAG0001.JPG]

Someone's auctioning it off on ebay.
  16. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was just in Wal-Mart and I wandered down the Barbie aisle and I couldn't believe what I saw. One of the nicer "collector's Barbies" which run about $40 looks a WHOLE lot like this particular costume. She has a black fitted corset with top stitching, and a mermaid style skirt wihich is white with an over-layer of black meshy lace (sound familiar?) She has white long gloves and a rhinestone knot necklace. Oh yeah, she's a blonde. But still, she is VERY close and could come in handy for those of you who re-work Barbies.
    I looked on ebay to see if someone had one listed so I could link a pic but I'm not sure I remembered her name right- Sorry :( I think she was called "Glamour Girl"
    Keep an eye out next time you find your way down the Barbie aisle.
    :) Ferd
  17. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://www.barbiecollectibles.com/images/showcase/products/56203_9993_main.jpg]
    "Society Girl Barbie"

Wow, FERD! That doll does look like Padme -- well, her outfit, anyways!
  18. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I actually noticed that similarity when I got my Barbie catalog a while back!
    But then I was too lazy to scan the picture, so I never mentioned it. :p
    (Also, I was marginally reluctant to confess that I receive Barbie catalogs... blarharhar.)

-sg
  19. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Somebody is just selling the outfit from this doll on ebay--the little gloves could be dyed black- An inexpensive way to update your Queen Amidala doll to Episode II fashion.
    It's Item #1372011535

:) Ferd
  20. Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Master

star 4
    Surlygurlie, don't feel embarrassed! I get the too! One of my friends ordered me a "Design your own Barbie" that looks just like me, and it came with a subscription to the catalogs. I love looking through them! Plus I still have every Barbie doll I've ever owned.
  21. rvqavalon Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ack--I just started this costume for a Barbie, and now look! They're cropping up everywhere.
  22. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    This is a little off-topic: what is the width of the gap for the headband listed as "HAIR BAND (TS60)" at http://www.lacis.com/catalog/data/descn_s.html (for those who had bought it from there)?

I think I need it to make a little headgear/band for my next (and probably last) Anime/Manga Costume and I've lost all hope of finding one or similar here in Singapore (I found only i piece of the one listed as (TS62) instead). :(

Thanks!
  23. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    The official site posted a back picture of the costume under its Image Attack

[image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/imageattack/2002/10/img/ep2-1a-53621.jpg]
  24. Neimhaille Force Ghost

star 3
    Just gotta defend plastic boning here: the really good quality white Wissner boning is perfect for corsetry:
    http://recital.tripod.com/costume/margaret.htm
    That's the 1880s corset from Nora Waugh's Corsets and Crinolines

All plastic boning in that and it's a very firm solid corset indeed. I wore it for a month long production, yes it does form to the curves, but when worn that's where the curves are you know? Easy enough to iron out too. Also real whale bone does exactly the same thing;) True:
    http://www.marquise.de/en/1900/howto/odds.shtml

If you are going for metal boning spring steel is probably the best, it's flexible and still strong but it can be curved along those curving seams.

I wouldn't recommend wood as it's will not curve enough in at the waist, perfect for the conical shaped corsets (and if that's what it was being suggested for I apologise for reading too fast;) )

BTW, if you use the Nora Waugh book.. either buy it or borrow fromt he library.. you can make corsets from the 16th-20thCs for a fraction of the cost of buying a pattern. All you need to do is scal the patterns up and there a number of easy ways to do that: over head projector and a wall to pin a large sheet of paper to. Scan and increase the image size then print out.

Or simply making a grid and copy that way.

I'm making this corset again in black just need to put my lacing rings in the back and it's ready to wear.
  25. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I just found this pattern when I was searching for a corset for the picknick dress, if someone is interested.

[image=http://www.neuemodestil.de/datenbank/Vorschau/22887.jpg]
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.