main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala The Black Corset Piece

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I second the placket. I did mine with one (you can see pics on my site in my sig), and I believe in the scene when you see her get up you see that the back is solid-not showing open laces.

You can hook a corset shut, but for ease in dressing and allowance for weight loss and gain-laces are the best choice.

Ferd :)

2. Lady__Skywalker

Lady__Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2002
    Reviving an old thread....

I don't know if anyone has thought of it and I'm pretty sure it's not very accurate, but I was making my Arwen angel costume and I came across this sight for the neckline. It may be kind of a stretch but this may work for the necklace:

Sequin

3. Lady__Skywalker

Lady__Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2002
    Bah! Link doesn't work.

http://www.mjtrim.com/Catalog/cn_Item.asp?sku=16704&ColorCode=BK

cut and paste

4. 12345678910

12345678910 Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2003
    go to www.padawansguide.com click on padme episode 2 and then corset

5. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    An update!

I FINALLY found lace fabric that dyed black (it's blush pink in the pics) makes me very happy! Look:
    [image=http://homepage.mac.com/scunningham/.Pictures/palepeachleavemotiflace.jpg]

Yay, finally non-floral lace! And just enough fabric for the skirt too! :) Not too bad a match, right?

I had my boi scan a pic of the test piece of dyed fabric in tonight and email it to me (I dont have a scanner) but it didnt come thru; hopefully I'll get it tomorrow. But I wanted to share the pics now. :) I was worried about it taking the dye but it did beautifully.

Opinions on the color of the fabric below the black lace? Silver? White?

6. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    good pic of skirt

Hmm. Definitely not a white, I think - the brigher look in some shots are probably just the sheen from the under layer reflecting the bright lights in the ?official? shots. My guess would be a pewter or silver, but I think it will depend on how much of the lining will show through your particular fabric.

~H~

7. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Ooooh!! Nice find Crimson!! :) Where did you finally get the lace? I've looked EVERYWHERE (or, at least, it feels like it). :D

As for the fabric underneath, I *think* it's more of a nude color - to kinda give that "is it really there?" type of look. Since this is one of her most sensual (and obvious) gowns, it would make sense that they'd use a nude-colored fabric as a tease.

:)

8. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Nice find indeed :) Way to Go!

I agree with the silvery/ charcoalish underlay. White would look too stark I'm afraid. The nude idea does sound interesting--if you would feel comfortable being that exposed! [face_devil]

~Ferd

9. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    I found the lace on Ebay. Every single day for months I would look thru all the new lace postings. Heh, it had to pay off someday!

Yeah, I think Im going to look for a nice silver fabric... just gotta decide what kind of fabric the underskirt should be.

10. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Finally got a scan of the test piece of dyed lace. :)

[image=http://crimsonvision.net/images/padmefabric.bmp.jpg]

Really excited about this project now. Sat down today and mapped out my plan of attack on the 'scarf'. Nowall I have to do is get money to buy the beads. :p

11. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Finally got a scan of the test piece of dyed lace. :)

[image=http://crimsonvision.net/images/padmefabric.bmp.jpg]

Really excited about this project now. Sat down today and mapped out my plan of attack on the 'scarf'. Nowall I have to do is get money to buy the beads. :p

12. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Wow. Last night it said 'ERROR'when I tried posting and didnt show up when I checked after. Logged back on this morning to try again. Weird. :p

13. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Ooooh! The black turned out SO WELL!! This is gonna be NICE. I'm excited for you Crimson. :D

14. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Gah. Spent several hours last night researching and sketching out the beading on the neck scarf thingie. I was over a friends house while my boyfriend was 'gaming' and on my friends computer. One of the gamers finally said to me after several hours of having the same picture on the computer screen that I must *REALLY* like Padme in that corset dress. Heh.

I have a job interview tomorrow and then I'll probably go fabric hunting for the silver underskirt and maybe some beads. Low on funds right now but at least I can look! [face_blush]

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm sending good vibes your way for the interview! :)
    Btw, great find on the lace.

16. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Thanks lady! ;) I need all the luck I can get!

Yep, and now Im on my next fabric/pattern hunt; time to make the red vest Christian wears under his tailcoat for my boy to wear to our Friday night gathering! ;)

So much to do, so little time/money! :p

17. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Okay.

Took my fabric swatch out hunting for the underskirt fabric and had kind of a surprise. I was looking at all the silver and grey fabrics and was not happy at all with how they were looking. The color looked great but when I put the lace over them they got way too dark.

So on a whim I tried some shimmery white fabrics. They looked MUCH better. I think it is because of the small netting in between the 'fronds' of my lace that darkens the white of the fabric and gives it a silvery appearance. Also, this pic on Padawans Guide makes me think that I could be right; look close at fabric between the netting. (Maggie, I hope it's okay that Im linking!)

So yep, gonna get white fabric. It might just be my lace but I think the end result will be better if I use white. Still want to check out a few more places for lighter silver fabric.

Oh, and I got a bunch of beads to start on the necklace! :) Still need more though...

18. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Interesting... I actually bought an off-white shimmery fabric for the under-skirt without even thinking to try the silver and greys... heh. Of course, I keep changing my mind about the different black laces I keep finding too. **sigh** the fabric seems to look different under each one...

it'll be nice when I can get back to working on this costume full-time. :)

19. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Popped a few pics online of my progress on this gown. Not much has been done but a few people have asked. I uploaded a pic of the wig I recently purchased for this costume (my hair is as red as my avatar), a pic of my beaded and boned (yes, boned) collar and a pic of my dyed lace fabric over a white gown (not the fabric I will be using but just for picture contrast).

Go here to check it out!

I'm taking a break on this costume today as I can't move forward with the beading until I find two more kinds of beads; the small seed beads for the circular part of the neckpiece and then the slightly larger spacer beads on the really long strands.

20. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Ok, having a bit of a sleepless night (made myself a cup of caffinated tea before bed by mistake) and I was thinking about the neckpiece on here.

I finished making the beaded strands, all nine of em. They are hanging from my air conditioner at the moment, ready to be sewn into the brooch part.

My question to you is do you think the beads are attached to the long part of the scarf? I tried watching the DVD to see how they moved but no such luck. Heck, you barely see the whole outfit on the screen; I never noticed until I started trying to make the darn thing! Thoughts?

Got my wig today too, its weird seeing myself as a brunette! Ugh, need to lose some weight; I do not want to be a chubby Padme. [face_blush]

21. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    CrimsonVision - sure, link away! I certainly don't mind! :)

I'm adding a link to your making of page, if that's ok! (On the "Corset- Making of" page)

Your fabrics and all that look great! I can't wait to see how it all comes together! :)
    You'll have to let me post a few pics when it's done! I'm sure it will be great - your MR Black Diamonds was awesome! :)

Maggie

22. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Heya Maggie, thanks for linking my page! Heehee, I feel like an official Star Wars costumer now. ;)

Hopefully my hosting switch will take effect soon as I uploaded a couple of new pics including one of my wig in the starting stages of styling. Im gonna have to go find some hair that matches or is slightly 'off' color for the twisty thing around the braid. I tried using parts of the wig to twist around it but it didnt 'pop' enough for you to see it.

Gonna start beading the brooch part today. I need to attach the long strands to the scarf part first as I have made the circular part seperate so the place that I attach the strands wwill be hidden inside. And since I will be beading over the seam part ya wont see it.

Fun Fun!

23. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    I answered my own question on if I needed to attach the strands to the fabric or not. Yes I definately do or else I'd spend all my time while in the costume re-arranging them. :p

Apparently my hosting switch still hasnt taken effect yet but you can view some new photos HERE if you want to. (Maggie, dont change your link on your site; as soon as the hosting switch is complete it will automatically point to that page.)

But here is a (really blury) pic of my progress on the neckpiece. I have it all put together and have started the final stages of beading. :)

[image=http://64.239.125.71/images/im000485.jpg]

24. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    It's looking great CrimsonVision!

Let me know if the link becomes broken though and I will fix it! :)

Maggie

25. Aliabes

Aliabes Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I'm going to try and make my own version of this gown, this forum has been quite a help!

Here is the pattern I bought for the skirt

http://www.sullivans.net/usa/Pages/usa/patterns/quick/22627M.jpg

I think it looks just lovely (view B). Next step is deciding wich fabric to use for the under dress. Any idea anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.