main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Black Lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by andalite, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    what would the black glow be?

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    what would the black glow be?

Not sure what u mean. When u talk about painting, there is a difference between black and absence of colour

3. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    i meant of what would the glow be composed of in the star wars universe. some pyschics DOES have to come into play here ;)

:D

4. datoolman

datoolman Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2001
    The solution to the question is pretty easy when you consider the SW universe and the mind of George. I have quite a few ideas on how to make it happen. It's just the time and effort I might be willing to give to get off my butt and do it :)

5. Lyrael

Lyrael Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    why does everyone talk about black sabers anyway? They are ugly and suck :) Its really hard to se too.

6. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    "why does everyone talk about black sabers anyway? They are ugly and suck Its really hard to se too."

AMEN!!! I wanna hear you PREEEEACCCH it from the roof tops my brother! Can I get an AAAAMMMMMEEEENNNN from the people out there?

7. Shadoe42

Shadoe42 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    Amen!! Testify!!!!

okay there now that is out of the way hehe...I agree that all current black sabers do not look very good. However I have come to wonder if it would be possible. The trick is the glow...a black "glow" just doesn't look all that great on film...heh... and on wonders what it would be like to try and fight with and against a blade you could not see...getting back to the UV concept put out earlier.

8. Arfour_Peeseventeen

Arfour_Peeseventeen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Here's a test I did for a "black lightsaber". I tried a black blade, white glow and vice versa.

Geocities, so copy and paste.

http://www.geocities.com/guestuser300/black.jpg

[image=http://www.geocities.com/guestuser300/black.jpg]

EDIT: Although I realize that others may have done this before, I felt that people who haven't might want to take a look.

EDIT: I'll have to agree with some of you -- the black lightsaber does look ugly!

9. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    May look ugly, may not ven show up too well, but it IS able to be done very easily! Heck, it may be even less physically possible than a lightsaber, but if it can be done, it can be done and that's all that matters.

-Matt

10. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    The trouble with a blacklight is the effect it has on the things around it to, not just the actual light...
    [image=http://www.stormahead.com/images/blacklight.jpg]

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I've found an orange glow on a black-core looks much better than a purple glow.

12. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    Daft:
    What's with the suddenly visible bra on Ms. Portman in that example, eh? :D

Fenn

13. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    [face_laugh] Looks like a Terry Gilliam effort to me...

14. Darth_Cynvelin

Darth_Cynvelin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2001
    Ohh **** !!

15. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm glad someone actually noticed Fenn!

If you've ever been to a nightclub that has blacklights you may have noticed that white clothing REALLY shows up, (as do teeth, and eyeballs - looks freaky) Sometimes you can see white underwear under darker clothing if it's a strong blacklight, and that was the pathetic point I was making. Blacklights may be cool, but you've got to follow through with the entire effect... :)

Padme was obviosuly wearing her sports bra in this scene...

16. Whoever

Whoever Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2002
    arfour has the best dang blacksaber i've seen. i dont care wat he thinks about it. it's COOL!

17. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2000
    Hey RocketGirl check out http://65.108.218.55/trifilms/Triumvirate_official_site.htm and click to Kushaan Exile! My character, Seffron, weilds an orange lightsaber, orange hair as well (natural of course, teehee)...

Sorry, just had to let everyone know...

18. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    In my opinion, when it comes to sci-fi, screw physics and do whatever the heck you think fits. In LotR they didn't fear that Frodo's sword glowing was physically impossible. George Lucas obviously doesn't give a rip about physics. Though, I have to say, a black lightsaber would probly be called a shadow saber or something. I'm thinking it would be cool if everything inverted in the the black lightsabers glow.

Good one on the black light thing Daft :D LOL

-Matt

19. DragonScythe

DragonScythe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2001
    first off...LotR? That's fantasy, and based off of a world that is most definitely devoid of certain physical laws, thus allowing for magic and whatnot. Compare that with SCIENCE fiction, which must have some basis of SCIENCE in it. Not just that they're in outer space, or that they got really...Now if you want to say have a minimal amount of scientific basis, that's perfectly fine. Just don't compare SW and LotR. There is a severe difference, although not in storytelling, but in the rudimentary type.

AND while i'm at it, I don't have any problems with this black lightsaber core deal...My real problem is nobody has the gaul to do it. Nobody wants to put there work on the line and say, "Hey look at this. I did this, and I'm proud of it."

THANK YOU, that is all.

THE BORED COMMIE

20. Lyrael

May 22, 2002
    Daftmaul how did you get The blacklight effect? The one that made every thing fraky?

21. MGMatrix

MGMatrix Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2002
    "Lyrael": Black lightsaber? who came up with that idea? Because its impossible, You cant use lights to make a room totaly dark just doesnt work light cant be black, therefore a lightsaber cant be "black". The blade is always white with a colored aura.

Öhhmm... not impossible... think about it...
    I´m just saying 2 words : BLACK HOLE !!!
    Ok, my invention, a "black hole lightsaber"...

:)

22. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    ust don't compare SW and LotR. There is a severe difference, although not in storytelling, but in the rudimentary type.

Star Wars isn't science fiction, it's fantasy set in space.

23. Lyrael

May 22, 2002
    Hehe Yoda get sucked in by the Black Hole Lightsaber. If you look under the Hilt you will find this Warning text "Do not use near Stars or other things in space they might be pulled in." :)

24. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    My real problem is nobody has the gaul to do it.

I am. You just haven't seen it yet. In fact, my story REVOLVES around the weapon. You will all see my rendition of a darksaber in time...

25. Lyrael

May 22, 2002
    Soon you will reveal it to us, soon you shall get the credit you deserve!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.