main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Black Lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by andalite, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyrael

Lyrael Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    DAFTMAUL!

How did you do the "Blacklight" Effect?

2. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm sorry, I tried to duck that question didn't I? :)

Are you talking about the sabre or the surrounding stuff? I was actually talking to someone of the phone while I did it, so wasn't really using any particular method (it was just meant as a joke) but here's what I remember...

1. For the Sportsbra I just drew the shape roughly using the lasso tool and filled it with white (on a new layer)

2. Using the airbrush tool I drew in the teeth and whites of the eyes on the same layer. This layer was then set to screen, andthe opacity knocked down a little so some detail on Padmes top came through

3. On the base layer, and again using the lasso tool I defined Qui-Gons inner robe, put a small feather on the mask, and using just brightness/contrast bumped up the tones to make them stand. I then lowered the saturation so it looked whiter and less cream. Becuase I had feathered the selection is gave a bit of a glow around the edges.

4. With the lasso still selected I made a new layer and filled it with solid purple.

5. I then duplicated the eyes/teeth and vest layer and applied a very small gaussian blur to it, and then made this layer purple (by just filling the new selections with solid colour. I then merged this layer with the Qui-Gon shirt layer (hokey way of doing it I know) and this Uber layer was then screened on top of the white layer and the opcity turned down until it looked 'right' (ish)

5. I seem to remember creating a new layer and filling it totally with purple, then setting this layer to OVERLAY and the opacity to about 40% (This gave the blanket purple look)

6. The sabre was just the same old methods as normal but just using a purple glow and a black core as opposed to white.

And that was that. I'm sorry it's a bit vague, but I wasn't really paying much attention when I was doing it, and I just flattened the file when it was finished so I can't retrace my steps. Very poor work ethic all around on this job...

3. Lyrael

May 22, 2002
    Ok. you missed Qui gons left eye. :)

4. CodePoet

CodePoet Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2002
    whats all this talk of the "black saber"? oh, i see how it is...are you prejudice against the other colored sabers? what about a nice green or blue ... haha... but really ya?ll ... what is black? black is the absence of all colors(also dark is the absence of light my friends) ... and black is dark ... thus can you really have an effect of a "lightsaber" that gives off the absence of light? i didn't think so ... now SHUT UP and talk about something fun and exciting ... like me! 8-}

- Me

5. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    I have a dream that one day, these forums will rise up and live out the true meaning of it's creed "We are here to salute Star Wars with and the glory that we call filmmaking, and we hold these truths to be self evident, that ALL lightsabers are created with equal crystals."

I have a dream that one day...ALLLLL the little black sabers, and all the little white sabers, and all the colored sabers, will be able to walk hand in hand, and not face adversity. They will rise up, and be able to make fanfilms great.

I have a dream that lightsabers will one day live in a forum where they are not judged by the color of their glows.

I have a dream today.

6. CodePoet

Mar 26, 2002
    LMAO Pixel...

- Me

7. Lyrael

May 22, 2002
    Like in Futurama when The StarTrek fans and the Star Wars Fans had this big war.

8. andalite

andalite Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    Ok, solitude_high has changed the definition of 'the black lightsaber'. It now looks cooler than ever. check this out:
    [image=http://www.destructionzone.8k.com/test3.jpg]

9. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Yeah, it does look cool indeed, but it must be hell animating this bit** ;)

10. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    OK, stop being so creative!

You're getting too close to what I want to do for my film.

Stop now, so I don't have to come up with something new to wow you with.

11. solitude_high

solitude_high Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2002
    Righto. I'm working on some more still tests right now, and a video clip is on it's way...

12. solitude_high

Jun 9, 2002
  13. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    *sigh* Okay, I have to admit, that looks pretty f'in cool in a still. Hit us with a good animation and maybe I'll take back the smack I've been talking about black lightsabers.

But you know, those look like a different kind of fantasy weapon altogether.

M. Scott

14. solitude_high

Jun 9, 2002
    In-motion-shot:
    Jedi Outcast Replacement 2

eheh, yes, i'm not suprised it looks like 'a different kind of fantasy weapon altogether'
    ?i'm a fantasy man myself. i was star wars a long time ago. Since then i'd found LotR and Final Fantasy *drool*

right so, heads up for more.

15. solitude_high

Jun 9, 2002
  16. webwiz03

webwiz03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
    Hmm... how are you guys doing that nifty energy wrap effect on the sabers?

17. CodePoet

Mar 26, 2002
    i am listening to music right now....just wanted to let ya'll know that

- Me

18. andalite

andalite Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    o......k...... that was completely irrelevant but anyways, we are going to do several tests using the 'nethersaber' and if it works out, we will use it in our fanfilm.

19. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    You know, refering to the above ^^^^^ post by DaftMaul, I must say, I find sports bra's very uncomfortable.

20. CodePoet

Mar 26, 2002
    that was not irrelevant...i was just being curtious in case anyone wanted to know my man...just like now i am looking for my keys...cause i lost them...do you know where i put em?

- Me

21. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    So, that movie, "Crossroads." Good movie.

22. CodePoet

Mar 26, 2002
    i watched Legally Blonde tongiht...also a good movie

- Me

23. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Britney Spears used to be really hot. What happened to her? She's a freak now.

24. webwiz03

webwiz03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
    Yeah, still wondering about the energy wrap over here...

25. CodePoet

Mar 26, 2002
    no...she was never hot my friend...she was always a skank foo'

- Me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.