main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Blade Runner (Original, Black Lotus, 2049, 2099)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Merlin_Ambrosius69, May 12, 2013.

1. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    No I am talking about the Whiskey - Kampf test, which is like Voight - Kampf only with booze.
    I thought it fit better since Deckard drinks like there is no tomorrow and Holden must not have been very sober either since he interviews a potential replicant and doesn't bother to check if that suspected replicant has a gun. Or the Tyrell co has really crap security.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Second;
    Fact 1. The police knew six replicants had escaped from an off-world colony and come to earth.
    Fact 2. The police have known for about two weeks that these six replicants are on earth.
    Fact 3. The replicants tried to break into Tyrell co three days ago and two were killed, the rest escaped.
    Fact 4. The police have files on ALL the replicants that escaped the off-world colony, Roy, Leon, Zora and Pris.
    These files include photos

FACT: You could replace "replicant" with "Human being" and it still does not mean Holden knew it was a replicant sitting across from him or a human who had recently committed a crime. They are not omniscient. They got on Earth, some died, they got pics of them, a break in and they got pics, Holden got blasted by one, they got a pic of him. At that point they presented the info to Deckard. There is no logic hole there at all.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  4. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    You still seem to miss the point. These files, with photos etc are almost FOUR years old. They were created when the replicants themselves were created. Hence why Roy, Zora and Pris are wearing white caps on their heads.
    They are not photos from when Roy and the others escape or when they come to earth, these photos are from before that.
    They show the current vid from Leon but we also get data on Leon, with strength, type of work etc. Which is from Leons file, the file that was created when he was created.

So since these files and these photos PREDATE, the escape and the break in, the police has access to them at any time.
    SO, as soon as the escape happened and the police became aware that these six replicants were on earth, they can call up these files and look at the photos.
    SO that means that Holden does not have to to do a VK test on new employees, he could simply compare the photos of the four replicants that are left alive from the break in. Roy, Leon, Zora and Pris.

To try and make a real world example. Take a normal prison in the US. Say that there is a break out and six prisoners escape.
    Would the police know which six prisoners escaped? Yes, simply compare with the prisoners that are there with the list of inmates and you know.
    Say that these six prisoners steal a car and this car is then found abandoned outside New York buy the NYPD. Add to that, a breakin is later attempted at a company in Manhattan and two of the escaped prisoners are killed but the other four get away.
    Say that the NYPD suspect that some of the other four might try and pose as new employees, why would they bother with doing interviews? They can get files, fingerprints and photos of these escaped convicts and use them instead.

The same apply here, the police knows that six replicants escaped an off-world colony, they know who these six replicants are. They have photos of Roy and the others, they know that they are on earth, they know that they tried to break into the Tyrell co.
    If they suspect that some might try and pose as new employees, then use the photos the police already has, a VK test is not needed.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I read this part and stopped:

"You still seem to miss the point. These files, with photos etc are almost FOUR years old."

You are missing the point. it doesn't matter how old any pictures are. I have pictures out there that are decades old yet I might not get ID'r right off until I have actually gotten caught doing soemthing and if it were in a group they might not ID me at all.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I just want to congratulate you two for making a discussion about arguably one of the most important sci-fi films ever, crushingly dull. People aren't posting in droves because more enjoyment can be derived from testing whether your testicles are bulletproof.

The question on Deckard being a replicant is unanswerable and part of the film's beauty is that ambiguity. If you need a firm answer either way - if your enjoyment is impacted unless the question is put to bed - then you're simply not good enough to be a fan of this film.

You mean that proprietary information belonging to the Tyrell Corporation?

To try and wrestle the discussion away from the drain circling adventures of "Is he? Or isn't he?", can I ask;

1) Did anyone read all the KW Jeter books? I read #2, and found it so breath-takingly awful I couldn't go on.

2) Who has played the Westwood game, and what are your fond memories of it?

EDIT: I have the CDs at my parent's place, and you can run it on Win7! JOY.

Champion of the Force and jp-30 like this.
  7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  8. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
  9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    For several days VadersLament and Samuel Vimes have been discussing the question of photographs, which I, in lurk mode, have been enjoying. On the previous page several members were engaged in the debate over Deckard's humanity. So here are at least two separate debates undertaken, by my count, by five distinct participants. Which "two" are you congratulating? And on which discussion?

This is a discussion forum. Maybe you're right and the question is unanswerable. But discussing the finer points of an ambiguous matter is part of what fans of a given piece of fiction do. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Careful, I've read that if you need a firm answer either way - if your enjoyment is impacted unless the question is put to bed - then you're simply not good enough to be a fan of this film.

Samuel Vimes likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Spinner

• The film Back to the Future Part II payed an homage to the Spinner from Blade Runner in that a garishly repainted spinner can be seen, parked in a driveway.

[​IMG]

Can't really see it to well but that's all I could find.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm indifferent towards the debate of whether Deckard was a Replicant or not. My interpretation of the film is that it's about letting go and moving on.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If we are talking homages, VLM, then surely Fallout's .223 pistol should rate a mention:

[​IMG]

VadersLaMent likes this.
  13. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    Thank you.

To expand upon something I mentioned earlier, why have the VK-test?
    For us, the audience it shows that the replicants are so close to human that it requires a hair-splitting test to tell the difference.
    But what in-universe reason exists for this?
    We know that replicants, when they are created, are given a file with name, incept date, function, strength, intelligence and last but not least, a photo. So if that replicant goes rouge and escapes then it would be a simple matter of sending that file and photo to the various police authorities and tell them to be on the lookout for this replicant. So spotting replicants would not be that hard and wouldn't require a lengthy test, unless the replicant has managed to alter his or her face a lot.

And this doesn't involve all the other methods of making replicants easy to spot, like skin color, bar-code of hidden transmitter.

The main "problem" with the replicants, from a business side, is not their physical performance, they excel at that. It is not their minds either, sure Leon isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but Roy is very intelligent.
    The problem is their tendency to rebel, kill their human masters and run away. This is what led to replicants being banned on Earth and if any are found here, they are to be shot on sight. Tyrell seems to be aware of this and his solution seems to be to make them even more human. To give them memories to draw upon and make them not realize that they are replicants and this will make it easier to control them.
    One can see the obvious gain for someone like Tyrell, if he could make 100% safe replicants then the ban might be lifted and he could sell them on Earth as well.

Aside form the obvious moral and ethical problems with this, the main problem seems not to have occurred to Tyrell or anyone else. The replicants are only a hairs width away from real humans. They are given great minds and told to kill, they are given the capacity for emotions and told to kill. Replicants are used for menial labor, killing and "pleasure" slaves.
    Tyrell and the others seem to miss the obvious, telling people essentially this "You are a slave, you were created as one and you will always be one for the four years you will live." "You are denied all the rights us real humans have and if you try to object we will shot you on sight." "You got all that scum?", "Good, here is your combined machine gun and grenade launcher, go out and kill."

Even if the replicant doesn't realize they are humans but have all the humans emotions and needs, some will probably object to be used as killing machines or having to sleep with any number of soldiers on a daily basis.

This, as I've said before, makes Tyrell into a morally repugnant person, he is creating a sapient race only to use them as slaves, and not only that, he wants them to be as humans as possible but still have them as slaves. If he had made very simple minded beings, that had no desires other than obeying orders, that would be bad enough. But to create a slave race and make them so human and aware that they know at all times what they are and how horribly they are used. I guess Tyrell never saw "The measure of a man." or if he did he was on Maddox side.

In closing, maybe the VK-test is just a way for the rest of humanity to feel better about themselves. A way for them to reassure themselves that the replicants really aren't human and thus using them in this way is totally ok.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  15. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Question: Following what Samuel Vines wrote, does the illogical motivation behind the creation of the "more human than human" Replicants indicate that the corporations effectively control the levers of power? I mean, what rational government would allow the existence of sentient slaves, with all the extraordinarily dangerous consequences attached, when they could just force Tyrell to render them automatons?

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I've never played the game though I recall the review (in Pc Powerplay I think it was) being one of the most positive for any game I have seen. 95% or something they gave it. I always planned to but never did.

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Color me disappointed. The problems with Green Lantern were largely script-related. Why hire the writer of a lackluster non-hit dumb-ass superhero movie that was roundly criticized to pen your long-awaited sequel to a highly influential hard sci-fi film? [face_waiting]

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Just caught the very beginning of this on cable. The opening scrawl is interesting in that it informs the audience that Nexus 6 are called Replicants yet in the police summary of the case with Deckard he asks, "What's this?" And then he is informed that it's Nexus 6.

Edit: I just want to add that i think light up umbrellas are a good idea.

[​IMG]

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh, I'm reading too much into that. Replicants are a generic term, Nexus is a deeper version, then Nexus 6 is the latest which is what is presented to Deckard.

20. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

[​IMG]

"Aaaaaaaaaagggggghhhh...!!!!"

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Correct.

Nexus 6 is the effective "top model" or thereabouts.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Because you got away with Prometheus, I guess?

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I wouldn't call Blade Runner "hard sci-fi", Merlin. It's too dystopian, and the genre it birthed contained so many elements unique to BR it's fair to call it "cyberpunk".

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  24. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Fair point. But at least with P*, Scott had a writer with a solid track record. Lindelof's Lost was a wild success with a massive fanbase. Green Lantern...? Not so much.

*P = Prometheus. I submit we should call it "Pee" in public discourse as well.

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/69132/gearbox-had-blade-runner-license

I'd love to see Telltale make an episodic Blade Runner series.