main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Blanket Incident (L/M vignette; a year after The Last Command)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Thanks for clicking!

Title: The Blanket Incident
    Summary: Set a year after The Last Command, a . . . discovering moment between Luke and Mara. ;)
    A/N: Thanks to LadyPadme for beta-reading! Gabri, I'm being nice by letting you read this. So . . . give me a nice long reply. [face_mischief]
    Chronological Listing and Links of the Series: I am putting this here due to the fact that readers have posted on different stories with ?what?s this about a sequel??. :p Here are all the stories (including this one) in chronological order (not the order they were written): Cold Front, Breaking the Ice, The Blanket Incident, It Was Cold, If You Can?t Stand the Heat, Warming Up, It Got Too Hot, Kindling the Flame, Mara the Burninator, It?s Not the Heat, It?s the Humidity, and Heat Wave.

Cover Art

?Are you cold, Skywalker?? Mara asked me, a suspiciously surprised look in her eyes.

?A bit chilled,? I admitted, dropping into the copilot?s seat. We were in one of Karrde?s ships, a small freighter converted for other uses, much like the Millennium Falcon. She sat in the pilot?s seat, her posture relaxed, but her gaze alert. She looked infinitely casual in her dark green outfit with her red hair pulled back loosely and her hands loose in her lap.

I, on the other hand, was something of a mess. Leia had asked me to look into something Karrde had reported to her ? for a certain fee, of course ? and Karrde decided to send Mara along with me. It would probably be bad for the brother of one of his main intelligence buyers to be killed. I think he?s realized what a good team we make, in between the spouts of murderous hatred and bickering. Well, not murderous hatred anymore.

I had managed to confirm what Leia had suspected ? that certain members of the Senate were trying to claim areas of space the Republic had no business claiming . . . among them Honoghr, the Noghri homeworld. They had wanted the territory to be Republic for business purposes, and weren?t shy about using unorthodox methods of persuasion. I managed to deal with their lackeys, but Leia would have to deal with the Senators themselves. I silently wished for the Force to be with her. But while the mission was successful, it wasn?t the easiest of trips, and I had come out a bit worse for wear, with bruises, scratches, and ripped clothing. Mara came off easier.

?I tend to get cold easily,? I added, in dismissal. I leaned back in the copilot?s chair, wanting only to relax for a bit.

Mara shot me a sharp look with those green eyes of hers. ?Do you, Skywalker? Space is cold. And fighter pilots spend a lot of time in it.?

I laughed. ?I must admit climate was something I never considered when I was dreaming of career options.?

Mar

2. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    That was freakin hilarious and definitely good characeterization. Poor Mara raised to be a killer but going beyond what she was made to be. I loved it.

3. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Oooh. obaona that was sweet and funny and I [face_love] love.
    That should have been in one of the books. Hmmm, maybe if it had we would not have had to wait 10 years to hear them say that they loved each other.

4. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Gabri, I'm being nice by letting you read this. So . . . give me a nice long reply.

You're letting me read it? *is highly amused* Would you truly have not posted it just to spite me? You're so cute, stalker of mine. :p You do realize what it means to ask me for long replies, right? :D

?Are you cold, Skywalker?? Mara asked me, a suspiciously surprised look in her eyes.

I love the combination of words here. 'Suspiciously surprised' -- that's great. It's like 'blatantly romantic' in Dance. Very unexpected.

She looked infinitely casual

Same thing here. 'Infinitely casual'. I love it. [face_love]

?I tend to get cold easily,? I added, in dismissal.

You and me both, Luke. I feel your pain.

?Do you, Skywalker? Space is cold. And fighter pilots spend a lot of time in it.?

Good observation! Simple, but very easy to overlook.

I was surprised when Mara shot to her feet with a curse. I quickly took a more alert scan of our surroundings and found nothing out of the ordinary. She left the cockpit without a word, and I sat, blinking.

LOL!!! I can so see this, oba. Perfectly done.

She came back and threw a thick, folded blanket in my face. ?For Force sake, Skywalker, stop shivering,? she ordered, and plopped back down in her seat.

*grins* So very Mara. I just love it. :D

It was my fault I was cold, and Mara never suffered fools gladly. Normally, she would have been perfectly happy with letting me freeze if I was too stupid to do anything about it. And I was only shivering. Instead she had gotten me a blanket. Why? Because I wouldn?t? But that was ridiculous ? I was perfectly capable of getting up and getting the blanket myself. Because . . . I was tired, I didn?t want to move, and ? she cared.

Awwwwww! [face_love] Seriously, for one year post-TLC Mara, this is high mush. Luke's right to be surprised. He's probably the only person she's ever been that nice to. :D

It was a simple nicety, but Mara just didn?t do those.

Really good wording here, oba. It's not accusatory, it doesn't criticize Mara for not being the way he thinks she should. It's a simple acceptance of fact, and because of that, it does a marvelous job of illustrating just why Luke is so surprised.

I didn?t really know what she thought of me ? she?s not outgoing that way. I was fairly certain she respected ? even admired? ? certain things about me, and was rather disgusted with the others.

LOL again! Beautifully put. Probably just the way Mara does feel, and certainly the way Luke would express it. :D

those pretty green eyes and that intense, often present glare.

I LOVE this part. I adore the use of the word 'pretty' rather than 'lovely', 'striking', 'beautiful', or any number of other adjectives. 'Pretty' is a sadly underused word, and the simplicity of it reflects Luke's unpretentiousness. What a difference a single word can make.

I had no idea where the impulse to give her that kiss had come from. From a desire to let her know that I cared? That I, too, would give her a blanket if she needed it?

Another passage that's touching in its innate simplicity. That last line is truly beautiful, oba.

She was still sitting in the same position, but one hand was touching her cheek, the one I had kissed. It almost looked as if she was just casually putting her elbow on the arm of the seat and leaning her face into her hand. Almost.

So sweet! [face_love] You'll laugh at me, oba, but it reminds me of the garden scene in Disney's Hercules. Don't worry, that's a good comparison. ;)

Her eyes met mine. ?Don?t push your luck, Skywalker.?

Another perfectly in character line. :D

Not only did I get a blanket . . . I didn?t get slapped.

That line makes me grin like an idiot. For Luke and Mara, that's as promising a development as the famous ESB kiss was for Han and Leia. [face_love]

I just love it, oba! How much begging would it take to get you to write a longer L/M stor

5. dreamspirals

dreamspirals Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2003
    Simply lovely! [face_love] That really made me smile tonight. :)

6. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    I love the first person perspective, Oba. It's unusual to see first person Luke stories. I think you have his "voice" down pat.

Mara was ever practical, so of course something like space being cold would occur to her. I had only thought of adventure.

[face_laugh] Perfect!

I resisted the urge to blurt out my first thought: You sound so caring!

hehe!

She came back and threw a thick, folded blanket in my face. ?For Force sake, Skywalker, stop shivering,? she ordered, and plopped back down in her seat.

Awwww! Mara's such a softie when it comes to a certain farmboy - in her typically gruff, no-nonsense manner. ;)

This whole fic was marvelous, Oba. I might be tempted to comment on every line if Gabri hadn't already done it. ;)

Great characterization for both Luke and Mara. I enjoyed this a lot!

7. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I might be tempted to comment on every line if Gabri hadn't already done it.

*grins at D_J* That's exactly why I usually don't comment like that. But oba did ask for it. :p I'll be good the next time, promise. ;)

8. starwbabe

starwbabe Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    This is cute!

Any chance you might turn it into a story?

Lindsay

9. astrowoman

astrowoman Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    Thanks, Oba. You've made my morning!

Astro :D

10. joy_noel

joy_noel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    That was great Oba! I loved it. The allusions to TPM were nice. I can see Luke pondering the meaning of a blanket. hehe.

11. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I laughed. ?I must admit climate was something I never considered when I was dreaming of career options.?

Had to find a favorite line that Gabri didn't already quote. I liked all the lines, though. Wonderfully cute. Is this going to be the beginning of a new series of She/He had gotten me a blanket vignettes?

12. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I read this in the morning, but I was kind of half asleep. :p Oba, this was cute and sweet and awwwwwwww! [face_love]

This period in time is my favorite Luke/Mara period, because of all the doubt about them getting together, and the awkward moments and the kiss totally made me melt!

I especially like the last line. ;) LOL!

Jae Angel

13. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Aw, that was beautiful. I loved the notes on how Mara was practical and would have thought about space being cold, while Luke was just daydreaming about adventure. And an excellent little look into Mara's compassionate side--just a little glimpse for Luke of all the things she could become, by highlighting on something so simple, like giving him a blanket.

14. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    lol. That was wonderful. She gave him a blanket and he didn't get slapped. Mara's going soft even before she has Ben. :p

15. duskwings

duskwings Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    Not only did I get a blanket . . . I didn?t get slapped.
    Not just a blanket and a lack of slap, but a KISS! [face_love] Luke, count your blessings . . . OK, so it was only a kiss on the cheek, and he did it, but he got away with it! Aww . . . [face_love] That's a weird thing to be saying "Aww" over, but it's true. I bet he would have gotten slapped hard if he'd tried that a year before. ;)

Anyways, that was such a sweet little vignette, and yet it didn't overdo it on the mush scale at all. I love it--sweet, but not sappy. Absolutely adorable. [face_love] :D

-Dusky

16. Agent_Jaid

Agent_Jaid Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 21, 2003
    What can I say that hasn't already been said? ;)

Well done Oba. :)

Now I remember why you've been awarded Goddess-ship. :D

17. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Any time, obaona!

This fic was just a pure pleasure to beta. Shivery, wonderful...just lovely!

Again, no lines to comment on because Gabri_Jade and Jedi-2B have taken them all. And I mean all

:D :D :D :D :D

18. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    Great job on the characterization - everything Luke said and thought was so . . . Luke. Especially his whole preoccupation with the fact that Mara had gotten him a blanket, and the daydreaming about adventure line.

The only thing I expected and didn't see was a crack about Tatooine's climate - but that's okay, as the story's perfect anyway. :)

Write more!

19. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    ZaraValinor: Thank you! :D Characterization, I think, is always the hardest part, so thank you doubly ;) .

J_M_Bulldog: Thanks! :D Yeah, there should have been a moment like this in the EU somewhere. Stupid Del Rey/Bantam for not giving Zahn/fanfic writers stuff . . . :p

Gabri_Jade: You know, I forgot long replies mean long author replies. ;) And I would have waited a few days. [face_mischief] Yes, Mara isn?t known for her niceness, so this is one of the few times she?s ever done it (which makes it more special) AND the first time Luke really experiences it. ;)

I never really thought about it ? what you said about the word pretty ? but yes, that?s very true. Luke isn?t charming in the sense that he knows how to use words, but in his simple honesty and caring. It is amazing the difference one word can make. Thank you for reminding me. :)

Um, you want me to write a longer L/M story? :p I don?t know ? got any plot bunnies? All I get are vignettes or darkly depressing long ones, as you well know. ;)

dreamspirals: Thanks! [face_blush]

Dancing_Jansons: I love first person, though I?ll admit I don?t do it often with Luke. I?m relieved you think I did him well ? it was a worry, I?ll admit. I worry when I do mush that I get them out of character. And dangit! :p Opportunity lost for a long reply. 8-} I?m glad you enjoyed, and thank you!

Gabri_Jade: 8-} Mushy/fun things usually don?t get long replies, is all, and I wanted one! :p

starwbabe: As in longer? I don?t think so. I?m not sure how. ;) Thanks for reading!

astrowoman: [face_blush] I live to serve. [/humble] [face_mischief]

joy_noel: True, true. I hadn?t even thought of that! :eek: I was actually reminded of the fic ?Blankie? after I wrote this, so in a very roundabout way, I guess I was thinking of TPM. ;) Thanks! :D

Jedi-2B: I?m glad you like that line, it?s one of my favorites! :D And don?t even say it! It will not be another . . . thingie . . . 8-} *tries in vain to stop plot bunnies from forming* Evil you.

NarundiJedi: Thank you! :) I just thought it was some time for some L/M mush when they weren?t married/together! If that makes any sense. I?m glad you liked this. :D

Lady_Moonbeam: It?s always fascinating to explore the difference between Luke and Mara, how they contrast. I?ve always felt that they learn from each other constantly ? Mara learns to be optimistic, to care, and so on, and Luke learns to be more practical and so on. [face_mischief] I think of this vignette as being a stepping-stone in the relationship of Luke and Mara. ;)

Jaina_and_Jag: Our softie Mara. 8-} Thank you!

duskwings: Yep, that?s the significant thing ? she let him get away with it! :eek: If he had tried it a year before, he?d have a few loose teeth, that?s all I can say! [face_mischief] I?m glad it?s sweet but not sappy. The too sappy ones are . . . too sappy. :p

Agent_Jaid: Thank you. But why do you have to be continually reminded, hmm? [face_mischief]

LadyPadme: They didn?t quote the whole story!! And shivery, eh? What is it with you and shivery? You said that about ?He Kissed My Ankle?, too. Must be a LP style compliment. [face_mischief]

talkingbanana: I?m glad you thought the characterization was good. As I said to someone else earlier, that?s very important, and one of the hardest things to do, I think. I was going to add some comment about Tatooine, but forgot to. So ? it was kinda supposed to be there . . . 8-} Thank you. :) I doubt I?ll write more, the story doesn?t really give much of an opening for more, but I?ll think about it.

20. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    Ooh! Posting again? :p!

Lovely, dearest. Simply lovely!

21. Rogue11JS

Rogue11JS Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    NOW THAT... WAS A GREAT VIG!!!!!!!!!

I LOVED IT!!!!!!! LAUGHING THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH!!!!!!!!!

HA HA HE GOT A BLANKET AND DIDNT GET SLAPPED

THATS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

22. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Burkie: Thanks. ;) And I thought I told you about this one . . . :p

Rogue11JS: :eek: Um, thanks. I think. :eek: :p I'm glad you liked it. :D

23. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Upsy daisy. ;) :D

24. Jedi-Tahiri-Veila

Jedi-Tahiri-Veila Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2003
    That was great! I just read this, and I laughed. You got Luke and Mara down perfectly, and I also like how Mara's starting to soften up.

25. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    You mean you weren't thinking of TPM even when Mara said Padmé's 'Space is cold' line?

And very cool that you thought of my crazy fic, though actually *whispers* that wasn't L/M. Don't tell Emmi!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.