main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Blood of the Hand (Mara, Luke, H/L, & more) Author's Note 04/05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MirandaFair, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Just dropping in to show encouragement. Looking forward to more.

2. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    To oldjedinurse, RedGold, and Darth_Garak, thank you for your sympathies. I appreciate your well wishes.

pat_skywalker39: Welcome! :D Thank you for stopping by. I'll be sure to add you to the PM list.

jade51999: Thank you, my friend! @};-

[color=royalblue][b]To my patient readers,

Thank you so much for your encouragement and patience over the last couple of months. While it has been hard getting back into the swing of writing (my muse is still on the loose - LOL), I've thought of all of you. No matter how long it may take for me to post an update, I promise I won't let this story fade away.

Thank you for helping this story reach over 600 posts! [face_hugs]

New chapter up shortly! Buckle up.[face_wink] [/b] [/color]

3. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    A long chapter to make up for missed time...

Also, I can't thank my beta enough for beta-ing this beast-of-a-chapter for me. My deepest thanks, oldjedinurse! @};-

[b]CHAPTER 29[/b]

Luke sat cross-legged on the cold durasteel floor. His breaths came and went evenly in his meditative state. Sweat and worry marred the Jedi Master's forehead. Luke frowned as he reached out farther into the swirling visions of the Force. His cheek twitched as he narrowed his concentration. Both the present and future clouded his friends' fates on Corellia. The flow of the Force separated the paths of his acquaintances. Only [i]one[/i] destiny continued to be obscured by a villainous plot.

"Mara," he heard himself murmur out loud.

Kaleidoscopic images reeled. Luke foresaw a shadow of wickedness. The same evil that had stalked his earlier visions returned to taunt him.

[i]Master Skywalker[/i], the voice sneered.

In his mind's eye, Luke turned to face the speaker. But a flash of blue pierced his core. The pain momentarily blinded him.

Within the depths of his concentration, the enemy divided into two. They shared a common design; destruction and resurgence. However, their motivation and way of achieving their goals, [i]their[/i] ends, was different.

[i]Master Skywalker[/i], the specter repeated. The voice mocked Luke's title.

Systems streaked past in his inner journey. Eventually Luke skimmed the darkness to hover above an interstellar mist of purple-orange dust. [i]"Where are you?"[/i] he whispered, searching for the menace. His bionic hand pushed aside the veil-like nebula. Two parallel stars shimmered and sparkled against the dark velvet backdrop. Like a black hole inhaling everything in its way, the stars drew closer.

Against the galactic curtain, Luke caught a glimpse of the apparition's eyes. Struggling in opposition to the violent tide, amber orbs of smoldering fire ignited to bore into his psyche. Teeth bared in rage at having been detected. Luke sensed a frosty hand move across his midsection. Five sharp nail points sunk into his sternum. With the impact of what felt very similar to a Force-push, Luke jolted awake from his meditation. He lay flat on his back, his head sore, tender from the abrupt contact with the floor.

Frantic warbling came from Luke's side as his eyes fluttered open. There, through slanted-sight from deck level, he saw Artoo Detoo.

The astromech rocked back and forth on his chunky legs while his main optical viewer focused protectively on his owner.

Luke's equilibrium steadied while he rested on his elbows. Adjusting to real time, Luke listened as the droid twittered some very recognizable notes. The Jedi had become familiar with the tonal question over the years; a result of many travel mishaps.

"Yes, Artoo." He looked up at his faithful companion. "I'm fine."

The animated tin can gave an impatient sigh of sorts.

"Okay, okay." Luke let out a laugh and chanced a smile. "I promise to let you know if that status changes."

Pushing off the floor, Luke entered the small 'fresher. The room could have passed for a closet, having been tucked away in one corner of his accommodations. Trying to ignore the sensitive spot at the back of his head, Luke activated the sink controls. The cool water he splashed over his face helped to shake the mental fog of his vision. With hands bracing himself on opposite sides of the chrome unit, Luke arched his back. Droplets fell to his bare chest. He brought up a hand to rub at the cranial ache. When Luke's vision met the mirror's reflection, the hero of the Rebellion stood still.

Staring back at Luke was his identical likeness. Everything about his appearance was normal. Everything, except for one disquieting difference.

The pain that Luke had felt only a moment ago was not just a distant memory of Force energy. The jolt which had sent him to the ground was [i]physically[/i] accentuated. For there, on his chiseled physique, were five crescent-shaped claw marks. The lacerations broke the skin

4. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Oh my... Mara's in trouble! And Luke... was late! But there! (...and that cliffhanger? Pure story magic... Loved it.)

Good post! :)

5. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    =D= =D= =D=

That last line was fantastic, so Mara. YOu have such great characteristics here and the plotis superb. I just can't say enough good things about this. Wonderful as always.

6. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    Holy smokes!

That was an enormous post! Wow! Incredible!

And that fight inside the temple was simply phenomenal. The thoughtst hat went through Mara's head as she encountered the dust and ashes on the ground were very well described!

Gave me shivers!

You write action sooo vividly and well!

7. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    When you come back, you come back with a bang. I thought for sure that Mara would escape, but she didn't. I hope she's learned enough from Luke to keep from going dark side.

8. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    All that action to get Mara down... she's a tough cookie!

Great to see this back in action again!

9. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oh, my gosh, twin!! I go to bed because of a headache early last night, and here you post! LOL Just my luck! Well, what a great update to wake up to on my day off!! :D

And.... hoooooo! My goodness. Love, love, love it! I love Luke and Karrde together, and how Luke already has a bond with Mara, years before their actual one will manifest. And that opener, with Luke and the vision?! ieeeeeeeee!!!

The jolt which had sent him to the ground was physically accentuated. For there, on his chiseled physique, were five crescent-shaped claw marks. The lacerations broke the skin deeply enough to bleed.

That is seriously scary. Very Halloween! [face_skull]

Mara was terrific as always, you write her so well! And that action--girl, I'm all pumped up. LOL Wonderful work!! =D= Excellent update!

10. AniriRevan

AniriRevan Jedi Master star 1

May 21, 2006
    WOW! man, that was great! Pm please?

11. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Wowzers! That was good!

12. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Such a rich tapestry of action and emotion - love it!

Brilliant ending to the chapter - Mara is perhaps facing her greatest fear - that she will be made to serve the Empire again, that the same thing could happen in teh same way. But she's older and wiser, and won't go down without a fight.

I am not afraid. But whoever is out to get me, had damn well better be afraid.

=D= Go Mara!

Thank you for the lovely long chapter! [:D]

13. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    YEAH! It's here! Go, Mara!

I loved that last line.
    Brilliant.

Be afraid, be VERY afraid. [face_devil]

C @};- S

14. Jetta

Jetta Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2001
    Luke's dream was freaky, but this fan loves any moment to describe his "chiseled physique." Loved that.[face_love] Your take on Karrde is wonderful. He's the protective father to his crew. It'll be interesting to see how Lando deals with learning about the betrayal. Poor guy can never get a break. The battle between Mara and the men was amazing! Your action always gets my adrenaline up. [face_hypnotized] I like your OCs. Nurev is a mysterious figure.

"I will do what must be done to ensure the Shre anah's safety," Nurev said, his long body bowed gracefully.

I wonder if anything else will figure in to this?[face_thinking] And now Mara's captured! I thought she was going to get away. Did Not see that coming. :eek: Brilliant chapter. The waiting doesn't matter when the work is outstanding. ;)

15. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

I'm so glad you're back with this story!! :) :D [face_laugh]

Wow, this chapter had me on the edge of my seat, what will happen next?

PS: Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was out of town.

16. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Wow. Wow wow wow.:eek:

I bow to the Empress of Action.;)

This was fantastic. I could hear the clatter of her blaster as it skittered across the catwalk. I could smell the ash from the broken particle board.

Yes, I thought she was going to get away. And did I read this correctly?

Wyeth gripped one hand around Mara's collar. He lifted her, lining up his fist for a free shot.

Her head whipped around and she fell to the floor with a thud. The bitter taste of blood touched her tongue and covered her teeth.

Wyeth sucker-punched Mara???? Oh, I hope you have a horrible ending in store for that man. What a nasty.

The part where Luke's vision actually left claw marks and drew blood was uberfreaky. :eek:

You, my friend, are unbelievable. This was outstanding.

=D= =D=

17. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Wow. That was big. Loved the line at the end.

18. Snap

Snap Jedi Youngling

Jul 4, 2006
    I just read the whole story straight through, and I absolutely love it! The characterization is spot on, and I laughed out loud at all the Lando/Mara bits. I'm a firm believer that there ought to be a comic series about their misadventures chasing after Car'das. And now I think YOU ought to write it.;)Great story...can I be put on the PM list?

"Shre-anah" huh? Oh goody, a mystery/challenge!
    *goes on a google hunt*

Does it mean basically free/unraveled answer?

19. TnTornado

TnTornado Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2006
    really cool post, however I've got one question - is this canon or not, and do L/M hook up faster? And this new guy, does Mara establish a bond with him, or does she have one with Luke which will help him to find her?

TnTornado

20. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    A quick thank you to all the readers! [:D]

I've been writing the latest. But you know me, I never know when I'll finish. Will keep you posted. @};-

[b]DaenaBenjen42[/b]: [i]Oh my... Mara's in trouble! And Luke... was late! But there! (...and that cliffhanger? Pure story magic... Loved it.)

Good post! [/i]

Hello! Yes, Luke was so close and yet so far away. Don't worry, too much. ;) Our favorite Jedi Master won't give up until his friend is safe and sound. Thank you so much! I'm happy you liked this chapter. :)

[b]ZaraValinor[/b]: [i]That last line was fantastic, so Mara. YOu have such great characteristics here and the plotis superb. I just can't say enough good things about this. Wonderful as always. [/i]

Mara is such a great character to write. I hope that the enjoyment I get from writing her comes through to my readers. The plot hasn't changed for the most part. It's just grown bigger and bigger. I keep finding things to throw at the characters in order to get them from one spot to the next. Thank you for all your sweet words. [face_hugs]

[b]jade51999[/b]: [i]Holy smokes!

That was an enormous post! Wow! Incredible!

And that fight inside the temple was simply phenomenal. The thoughtst hat went through Mara's head as she encountered the dust and ashes on the ground were very well described!

Gave me shivers!

You write action sooo vividly and well![/i]

Hi, [b]jade[/b]! I'm happy the length of the chapter didn't frighten you away. I had so much I wanted to accomplish and more importantly, I wanted to give the readers a lot to "sink" their teeth into plot-wise. You all have been so patient and it means so much to know you enjoyed the latest.

I had the fight inside the Jedi Temple planned for a long, long time. Now that I finally got to it was such a relief because I knew this scene was going to be the BotH's turning point. I'm so excited that I gave you shivers! Mission: accomplished!

Thank you! [face_hugs] And I look forward to your [i]Jade's Fire[/i] updates. Ms [b]jade[/b] has started her prequel to [i]Marshala[/i]. If you haven't checked either out, you're missing great insights into Mara's past.

[b]RebelMom[/b]: [i]When you come back, you come back with a bang. I thought for sure that Mara would escape, but she didn't. I hope she's learned enough from Luke to keep from going dark side. [/i]

I hope so, too, [b]RM[/b]. [face_worried] ;) It'll be a difficult trek ahead for Mara, so she'll need to draw on every experience both from before and after meeting Luke. About Mara's capture, she was always going to be kidnapped. But - I knew she'd give the fight of her life to prevent it from happening. And she almost got away. Thank you for your feedback! [face_rose] [face_happy]

[b]RedGold[/b]: [i]All that action to get Mara down... she's a tough cookie!

Great to see this back in action again! [/i]

She sure is! That's why we love her so. :) The woman can hold her own. There will be another time for Mara. I promise. My thanks, Master! [face_grin]

[b]ginchy[/b]: [i]Oh, my gosh, twin!! I go to bed because of a headache early last night, and here you post! LOL Just my luck! Well, what a great update to wake up to on my day off!!

And.... hoooooo! My goodness. Love, love, love it! I love Luke and Karrde together, and how Luke already has a bond with Mara, years before their actual one will manifest. And that opener, with Luke and the vision?! ieeeeeeeee!!!

The jolt which had sent him to the ground was physically accentuated. For there, on his chiseled physique, were five crescent-shaped claw marks. The lacerations broke the skin deeply enough to bleed.

That is seriously scary. Very Halloween!

Mara was terrific as always, you write her so well! And that action--girl, I'm all pumped up. LOL Wonderful work!! Excellent update! [/i]

Twin![face_hugs] I hope you enjoyed you day off and glad you're feeling better. :D

I've always thought exactly what you wrot

21. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Miranda! I'm sorry I didn't post sooner.

This is just your best chapter yet, IMHO.

=D= =D= =D=

You're back with a real jolt!

oldj

22. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    You are awesome, my friend. :eek: What a chapter!

That "Empress of Action" title is certainly well-deserved. =D=

LOVE it!!! :cool:

23. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    :) Thanks for the plug Miranda--in fact i'm off to post the update right now!

24. desertgirl

desertgirl Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2006
    Great chapter. =D= I'm scared for Mara now that she is in the enemies hands. MAra is a tough lady and she will give them a hard time. I also hope Mikael meets a nasty end. [face_devil]

25. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Hello! :)

Thank you to everyone for your feedback. You've made my "comeback" all the more enjoyable. I'm currently writing Chapter 30 as well as putting the finishing touches on my Grad School applications. A busy, yet exciting time it is!

I just wanted to inform all the readers out there that I will not have Internet access for over a weeks time. Renovations are making us relocate for a short period. I will be in touch! [face_peace]

[b]oldjedinurse[/b]: [i]Miranda! I'm sorry I didn't post sooner.

This is just your best chapter yet, IMHO.

You're back with a real jolt! [/i]

Hi, Beta! [face_hugs] Thank you for having the patience to look over this chapter. I know it was a long update... I'm beaming with pride that you think it was the best yet. :D That means so much. *hides her Sith lightening bolts* [face_mischief]

[b]Jedi Trace[/b]: [i]You are awesome, my friend. What a chapter!

That "Empress of Action" title is certainly well-deserved.

LOVE it!!! [/i]

Ooo! I'm honored by the title. Thank you![face_blush] [b]Trace[/b], I look up to your writing. Your stories are very entertaining. Reading that you enjoy what I put out there makes my day!

[face_hugs]

[b]jade51999[/b]: Your latest update was great. [face_grin]

[b]desertgirl[/b]: [i]Great chapter. I'm scared for Mara now that she is in the enemies hands. MAra is a tough lady and she will give them a hard time. I also hope Mikael meets a nasty end. [/i]

Hi, [b]desertgirl[/b]! Mara is one of the EU's toughest ladies. I'm looking forward to getting to her reactions on the upcoming events. Thank you for R&R. [face_rose] [face_happy]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.