main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Blood of the Hand (Mara, Luke, H/L, & more) Author's Note 04/05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MirandaFair, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Don't worry! Use the old pen and paper and keep your muse working!:)

2. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    This being my day to catch up on my favorite 'fics, I sat down and caught up on the five billion chapters I missed - except when I got to the latest, I still wanted more!!

I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said by your many fans, but I REALLY REALLY like the way you write Mara. She's so gritty and real - hard-edged. And your last sentence was just spot on. I'm sure I've told you this earlier, but reading this 'fic is exciting because there is so much going on, and when there is a respite from crazy action sequences, it's the humorous Lando and Mara bits, or the very fleshed out character of Karrde.

Anyway, I look forward to your next update!

3. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    I've been busy, so I'm glad you PM'd me, or I would have missed the update.

4. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Not bad mando, ner vod.

5. Chewie-Fan

Chewie-Fan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2005
    Great update! And good luck with the grad school apps!

6. Jadie

Jadie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    Hello Miranda!!! Sorry I've been away for such a long time, but now I'm back!!! [face_dancing]

I'm replying just to let you know I haven't forgotten BOTH and I'm catching up! Wonderful storyline so far - I honestly think I'm gonna stop reading cannon novels and only pay attention to fanfics. :p

C'mon now, UP UP UP!!!! ;)

7. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Golden_Jedi: Haha! Even pen and paper couldn't help me this time around. ;) Thank you, Goldie.

Inara: I'm honored to be among your favorite fics, thank you! :D Mara is a real joy to write, I'm glad the way I've characterized her rings true. And I couldn't be happier you think Karrde is "fleshed out." The man gives me a thrill when he's in a scene. LOL [face_laugh]

StarFighter5: Hope you liked it! Thank you. :)

Darth_Garak: Many thanks, my Mandalorian friend. [:D]

Chewie-Fan: Pleased you enjoyed it! And could you believe, I still haven't received word from any schools yet? The "word" is February through March the letters should be coming. Longest wait of my life... ;) Thank you for the luck and for reading!!! [face_good_luck] ;)

Jadie: I'm so glad you're back, too. [:D] It's always wonderful having a Mara Jade fan around. Speaking of...Will we have an update to Death Angel soon? [face_batting] I couldn't agree more...fanfic is the route to go. Many thanks to you.

:)

[b][color=royalblue]Author's Note:

Dearest readers,

I'm pleased to say that after three months absence, I will be updating [i]The Blood of the Hand[/i] tomorrow, January 29th. I wanted to thank you all for your outstanding patience and encouragement over the last few months. Between having construction and renovations going on and the holiday rush, finding the time to write was a rarity. Finally things are quieting down and I'm hoping to post updates more regularly and finish this story up for you! (In dramatic fashion, of course.) ;)

In the meantime, I thought I'd leave you with a story summary to freshen up the plot and characters within it. Summarizing twenty-nine chapters is a task...but I'll give it a "go." (Forgive typos, etc...this is only meant to recharge your memories!)[/color][/b]

[hr]

Events gone by...

After Exar Kun and Admiral Daala's defeat, the New Republic was at last able to hold their Inaugural Ball for newly elected Chief of State, Leia Organa Solo. Little did the people of Coruscant know that deep within the Ghost Nebula, an old power was reawakening. Sly Moore, former aide to Emperor Palpatine, had contacted Gilad Pellaeon, the Commander of the [i]Chimaera[/i]. Through their partnership, they had planned to find the location of a mysterious mass of ships named the [i]Ghost Fleet[/i]. With only one person who knew of its location, the two set out on a search to find and capture Mara Jade, the former Emperor's Hand.

Lando Calrissian and Mara Jade left the many problems they had on their Kessel mining project to only run into a whole new set of issues on Coruscant. The morning after the Ball, a holo was released by the press and on it was disturbing images of Mara thwarting an Alliance-run assignation attempt of Palpatine. The holoreporter to break the news was Bethane Neshall and she had promised more footage to release that was locked within a signal datacard (which she had obtained). The public outcry was strong - but brief - as Leia spoke out to her people, urging them forgive Mara for her past mistakes. Leia also pleaded with Mara not to do anything in retaliation against the press.

Naturally, Mara did the exact opposite of what she was told. Never one to go down without a fight, Mara went to the news tower in the middle of the night. There she stole the data and inserted a virus created by Ghent into their systems. Before leaving, she was intercepted by Luke Skywalker. Parting their ways through the most exciting of circumstances, Mara was chased by a new adversary through the Imperial City caverns and towers. With the help of Corran Horn, Mara was able to make a clean and safe getaway.

Leia was suspicious the next day when the holoreporters had nothing further to tell on the Mara Jade incident. The two woman confronted each other and all wasn't well between them. More negative news headed Mara's way when Lando received word that they had lost many men due to the spice spiders in th

8. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Look at that summary. This should totally be pro-fic. Course, it's already in MY personal canon. ;)

Can't wait for the post!! [:D]

9. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    more tomorrow! Yay![face_dancing]

I shiver in antic-
    :D

--pation.

Miranda, dear, you KNOW how much I [face_love] this!

10. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    [:D] to ginchy and divapilot! Thank you, ladies. You're the sweetest. :)

At last, here's the update! Thank you again for reading and for your patience.

I also wanted to give special thanks to my beta, oldjedinurse for pushing me with this chapter. You're the best! @};-

[b]CHAPTER 30[/b]

A bleak chill from deep space scoured the bridge of the [i]Chimaera[/i]. Commander Pellaeon stood silently with his arms crossed over his chest, staring out the main viewport. He didn't hear the environmental controls activate, or the beeps and clicks of status display readouts. He didn't feel the slight shift in temperature as tepid air automatically tried to heat the ship. The endless expanse of star-speckled blackness was always cold, always frigid.

Pellaeon disregarded the activity surrounding him, his gaze stopping short at his reflection in the thick transparasteel glass. He stroked his mustache, distracted by his own memories.

What he heard were echoes from his past, starting as a young man paying his dues and serving the cause that he had believed in for so long. What he felt was the hope of his men that some day their bitter defeat would diminish and power would return.

[i]"You're on to that topic [/i]again[i], Gilad?"[/i] He remembered when a similarly-aged lieutenant baited him in the tight area of their private quarters. [i]"The[/i] Ghost Fleet[i] doesn't exist, you know that. It is just a myth. A child's story." [/i]

As he did then, Pellaeon ignored the pilot and everyone else who told him otherwise.

The move up in military ranks was a slow journey and even as he made the progression from following orders to making them, Pellaeon knew there was something dangerous lurking in the uncharted shadows of the galaxy.

Somewhere in the universe was a treasure trove of naval firepower that had been forgotten to the ravages of time. Somewhere it waited, biding its time, rusting away in an unknown location, waiting to rejoin the force responsible for its creation.

A single and unruly eyebrow peeked in correction.

[i]"Unknown to all but one person."[/i]

Having had his fair share of dealing with would-be dictators, Pellaeon knew that a certain "ally" was no longer needed. Sly Moore's unwillingness to allow his assistance and her break away from their original plans was unacceptable. No, Moore would remain hidden alone with her pathetic ships inside her pathetic Nebula. After all, the High Priestess's plans were apparent: she had more in mind than rebuilding a fallen empire. The woman's designs were rather ambiguous but one thing was clear about her motivations. She only wanted the missing link for her own twisted reasons.

His loyalty was to the Empire not to the Umbaran.

With the success of his men's mission on Corellia, it wouldn't be long before Pellaeon could start his crusade. He felt as if he were standing on the precipice of change. To one side lay the crumbled Imperial remnant still trapped in its old ways, and to the other side, a vast expanse of the undiscovered and an overwhelming sense of possibilty. With opportunity for action on its way, the Commander was eagerly ready.

Turning away from the viewport, Pellaeon caught the attention of his captain.

"The bridge is yours, Captain Averi."

Before retiring for the night, Pellaeon took a long walk towards the maximum detention center. On the way, he talked to some of the crew. He asked about morale on his ship and the others in his fleet. It gave him great pride to make an effort to lift their tired spirits. They'd all be seeing action soon. Now that [i]she[/i] was on her way. Now that she was going to be a part of the Empire, again.

To think that he had been near the former assassin a small number of times was a bitterly ironic thought. The solution to the problem, there, in front of all of them. If only he had known then....

But at long last, he'd get some answers.

The twin doors slid apart and Pellaeon stepped off the turbolift.

"C

11. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    *steals* :D

Hooray! [face_dancing] You?ve updated! And what an update!! :eek: Oh my gosh, so much!! Wow, twin!! I know this chapter worried you some, but you more than delivered with a punch! (A good punch ;) )

LOVE the beginning with Pellaeon. Course, my sneak-peek of that didn?t hurt. ;)

Now that she was going to be a part of the Empire, again.

*shivers* Course, that?s what HE thinks?

The thick black walls had been built out in preparation for her arrival. Dwelling between the old and new partitions were over twenty ysalamiri. Life support filtered through the gaps and components housing them, but like their soon-to-be cell mate, there was no where to go. With Jade's Force sensitivity interrupted by the unique creatures, she might be more easily persuaded to help her former cause.

Then, and only then, could Pellaeon begin to collect and repair the splintered pieces of his broken Empire.

??more easily persuaded?? *shivers again* Pallaeon isn?t taking any chances is he?? He?s expecting a fight. But he doesn?t quite know our girl, does he? Can?t wait to see Mara busting out of this with your usual flair!!

Feeling the older man tense momentarily, Luke stole a passing glance at Mara's boss. Knowing whatever discord he was going through, it couldn't match the emotional distress Talon must have been experiencing?.

?Then his gentle blue eyes darkened before adding, "you might, however, send out a hope that whoever is trifling with my lieutenant, that their deaths come swiftly. Because if I get my hands on them, they'll pay dearly."

LOVE it, because it reminds us of the time period and who the most important man in Mara?s life is at the moment, and no one messes with Karrde?s people. =D=

Mara!

There was a faint response. The diminishing echo of an attempt to reach out. As quickly as he felt its glance, the echo was silenced.

Opening his eyes, Luke stared into the concerned faces of his friends.

Luke's throat was dry. "Now the situation's worse."

And I love this too, because as I?ve said earlier, you?re already hinting at a unique connection between Luke and Mara, that time will eventually realize.

Twin, I?m all pumped up and cannot wait to see how all of this goes down!! Excellent return chapter, and thank you for all your hard work! :D

[:D]

12. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Ysalamiri will not totally stop Mara from trying to escape. She's always got some great friends coming after her to help.

glad to see another post here.

13. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    oh she gonna make them hurt bad!

14. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Wiiiiiiii! An update! :) :) :) :) :)

Well, at least they have an idea of what happened to Mara! [face_worried]

15. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    I'm glad you put that part in where you catch us up! PT is OLD and can't remember yesterday very well! LOL!

Then, and only then, could Pellaeon begin to collect and repair the splintered pieces of his broken Empire- [face_skull] I don't know who to feel sorry for.... Mara or Pellaeon. I have a feeling Pellaeon is biting off more than he can chew. *nods knowingly*

16. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Ooh! A new update! Finally! :p

Great job! =D=

17. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Marvellous return, my friend!! I'm so happy that you've come back to this fic. [:D]

Quite the impressive group of men there on Corellia. [face_thinking] Now that they know who has Mara, what are they going to do about it? Huh?

;)

oldj

18. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    "Gentlemen," Talon Karrde said as he rose from his chair. "I believe we have an appointment at the Jedi Temple. Let's not keep the traitors waiting."

I [face_love] Talon Karrde. He is so :cool: .

The scene in the temple was terrific. I loved how Luke is still early enough in his mastery of the Force that he doesn't have all the answers. He is another part of the team here, just one who has unique skills.

And I love how incredibly present Mara is by her absence.:D

You did it again! =D= =D=

19. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Squeeal!

That was great!

I love how you wrote Palleaon--he had always been so crisp, so military that having a perspective into the inside of his mind was well worth the wait.

Luke and Rostek Horn in the Temple was also very cool. Pardon the shortness of my comments, i'm off to read Timothy Zahn's new book :)

20. furrylittlebantha

furrylittlebantha Jedi Master star 3

Dec 2, 2005
    I forgot how much I adore this story.

*shrieks with delight*

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I loved the little recap; I'm ashamed to admit that I got behind a few months ago and haven't come back, afraid I'd be too lost. But tonight I said to myself "furrylittlebantha, this is an awesome story that will be great fun to read even if you don't have a clue as to what's going on. Hey, that's what literature is all about, isn't it?" So I clicked, and what did if find? A recap! Just for readers like me. I joyed, then I read, and I was joyful some more. Very, very cool, Miranda. I love this for Talon, for Luke, for Lando, for Mara, for the tight suspense, for the masterful plot, and for the sheer brilliance of your prose. A most satisfying read.

[face_love]

21. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Yay for an update! I wonder how Mara will react to meeting up with her old tutor and Pellaeon. Probably not well. It will dig up things from her past that she will not want to confront.

22. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Great to see Palleaon back again. Love how you've characterised him. =D=

Brilliant scene with all the 'boys. They make a great team.

Wonderful to have this fic back! [:D]

23. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    Lovely update. Glad to see you back here and active.

24. Jetta

Jetta Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2001
    I need to give a squeeee!smile as well! :D MF this update made my night. Don't mind as I gush.

This chapter really showcases your use of all the "men" in Mara's life. Great work with the ensemble. And even though Mara isn't in this chapter - I agree with DP that we can still feel her even without scenes or dialogue.

I love your Karrde. He's very true to how Zahn created him. Nobody messes with his posse.

The cliffy at the end was cruel but this is a MF story. I expected no less. ;)

Rostek is genuine. And then Luke acting as his attorney was funny even in the serious circumstances.

Seeing Pellaeon was great! But I wonder what Sly Moore will do when she finds out about his moving on without her.

squuueeeee! again! You sure know how to whip up an exciting plot, m'dear. :cool:

25. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Oh dear. (Kidnapping Mara Jade when she's got people that care about her? Right. Sure. That'll work.)

And very cool with her falling off the force radar. Loved how you described it.

Good update. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.