main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Blood of the Hand (Mara, Luke, H/L, & more) Author's Note 04/05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MirandaFair, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    You're back!!! [face_dancing] [:D] :D

Great update (like usual), I sat glued to the monitor reading it (while my cat was sleeping on my keyboard). Can't wait for more.

2. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Thank you to all who read and responded. Your feedback is always so appreciated! [:D]

***for some reason my hug smilies aren't working for me further down the page. But they are out there! ;)***

[b]ginchy[/b]: [i]*steals*[/i]

Ooo! You're quick! [face_shock] [face_grin]

[i]Oh my gosh, so much!! Wow, twin!! I know this chapter worried you some, but you more than delivered with a punch! (A good punch ) [/i]

You're always so kind and good to me, twin. I can't thank you enough for being a constant friend and cheerleader. [face_hugs]

[i]??more easily persuaded?? *shivers again* Pallaeon isn?t taking any chances is he?? He?s expecting a fight. But he doesn?t quite know our girl, does he? Can?t wait to see Mara busting out of this with your usual flair!! [/i]

Haha! Pellaeon is a smart man, he learned a lot serving under Thrawn. But as you said, "he doesn't quite know our girl." ;) Mara won't disappoint her fans, I promise you!

[i]LOVE it, because it reminds us of the time period and who the most important man in Mara?s life is at the moment, and no one messes with Karrde?s people. [/i]

I have always loved the relationship between Karrde and Mara. It's paternal and protective in nature so I'm relieved what I was trying to get through read with the and in-between the lines properly. Thanks!

[i]Luke's throat was dry. "Now the situation's worse."

And I love this too, because as I?ve said earlier, you?re already hinting at a unique connection between Luke and Mara, that time will eventually realize. [/i]

Aww! While this is a canon fic, I really want to hint that even though there's still many years between [i]now [/i] and VOTF, there's absolutely something between Mara and Luke. Something that has the potential to be taken to the next level. You said it, "connection." Don't we all wish the profics dove into this more? I will explore the developing bond between them more towards the end.

[i]Twin, I?m all pumped up and cannot wait to see how all of this goes down!! Excellent return chapter, and thank you for all your hard work! [/i]

Thank YOU so much! I'm excited to see [i]you[/i] excited. It's really rewarding knowing others get a kick out of the story. This is fun and hardly any "work" at all. If I (and so many of us had our) way, I'd be writing full-time and earning a living doing it. HAHA. Well, some of you are there or close to being there...but I still have much to learn before I start sending out original works to publishers. Thankfully, there's always the dream. [face_angel]

You're the best! My thanks. :)

[b]RebelMom [/b]: [i]Ysalamiri will not totally stop Mara from trying to escape. She's always got some great friends coming after her to help.

glad to see another post here. [/i]

Hello, [b]RM[/b]! [face_happy]

For a woman who has tried so hard to distance herself from others, she does have a lot of people who consider themselves as her friends. I want to write more but I know I'd be spoiling the upcoming events in the plot. ;) Thank you so much for stopping by and for your encouraging feedback! [face_rose]

[b]RedGold[/b]: [i]oh she gonna make them hurt bad! [/i]

Not before they get to her first...oops. [face_mischief] [face_shhh]

Haha - thanks, [b]RG[/b]!

[b]Golden_Jedi[/b]: [i]Wiiiiiiii! An update![/i]

[i]Well, at least they have an idea of what happened to Mara! [/i]

We can all give a sigh of relief that finally they're (C/L/Lan/K) together again. It gives Mara another "pair of hands" to help in her fight. It's a step! Gracias, [b]Goldie[/b]! [face_wink]

[b]PonyTricks[/b]: [i]I'm glad you put that part in where you catch us up! PT is OLD and can't remember yesterday very well! LOL! [/i]

I'm glad it helped, [b]PT[/b]! [face_happy] I feel bad about making my readers wait for so long but it's hard to escape the asteroids DRL throws at us. [face_plain]

[i]I don't know who to feel sorry for.... Mara or Pellaeon. I have a feeling Pellaeon is biting off more t

3. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    [face_hypnotized]

That chapter rocked. out. loud, Miranda!! =D=

I can't even begin to list all my favorite parts, but these two stood out:

"Your assistance and patience in this matter are more help than I could have asked for," replied Karrde. Then his gentle blue eyes darkened before adding, "you might, however, send out a hope that whoever is trifling with my lieutenant, that their deaths come swiftly. Because if I get my hands on them, they'll pay dearly."

I couldn't possibly love Talon Karrde any more. [face_love] Perfect characterization! [:D]

The Force brushed across Luke's face, urging him to see truth. Ghostly whispers chanted to him in an old language. His blue gaze tracked from each of the stormtroopers. He heard blaster discharges, shouting, and both to his relief and dread, the hum of a lightsaber. The lightsaber cracked with every block it made and the ancient weapon roared at the onslaught. A battle of wills took place within the old temple and Luke hoped the losses were only to the Imperial side as the lightsaber's distinguishing snap-hiss fell into vacant silence.

Wow. I love how you 'showed' us Mara's fight and her determination. Wonderfully done! =D=

And yes, now the situation is worse... [face_worried]

Fantastic update! Now I want MORE. [face_blush]

[:D]

4. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Jedi_Trace: That chapter rocked. out. loud, Miranda!!

Woo Hoo! [face_dancing] Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I just get a thrill reading that. It's like the adrenaline rush that comes with going on an upside-down rollercoaster. ;)

I couldn't possibly love Talon Karrde any more. Perfect characterization

Karrde is the man, is he not?? [face_batting] I'm discovering he's a pure joy to write. He values his crew and is very protective of them. Thank you for your kind feedback. I'm so glad you enjoyed him. I know I've enjoyed writing him.

Wow. I love how you 'showed' us Mara's fight and her determination. Wonderfully done!

I thought that scene almost to be a fingerprint of not only Mara's Force-signature but Nurev's as well. The are otherworldly marks of evidence that were left in the Jedi Temple in regard to her struggle. I'm so pleased that came through.

And yes, now the situation is worse...

Fantastic update! Now I want MORE.

Yes, things can only get worse before they get better. More is in store. Thank you for your review! I'm left all smiles here. [:D]

[b]Author's Note:[/b] [color=royalblue]Good Evening, my friends.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day! [face_good_luck]

I'm writing to you because I have good and bad news to share with you. I'll go with the good news first. As some of you know, I've been on a journey to get back into school to earn my Master's degree and change careers. I've received word that I've been invited to visit three colleges for an interview. One interview will require me to travel a distance. I'm very excited and nervous at the same time. This has been part of a long-term goal I've been working toward for over a year. I can see the end, or a new beginning, is very near. It's been a lengthy process and I feel things might finally be falling into place.

This brings me to the bad news. I feel awful asking readers to be patient with the next update. I've asked for your patience many times and I've been so blessed that you've given it to me. Sounds corny? Maybe -- but this come from the heart. Exciting things are in store for the last quarter of [i]The Blood of the Hand[/i]. I hope you'll stick around and read on. I'm not going to give a date for a new posting as I hate to break promises. Just know my muse is currently wrapping her mind around interview questions and situations. This is a huge turning point in my life and while I'm psyched, I'm also scared of the unknown. One thing I do know is I love writing this story. I adore all the readers out there. And I WILL continue to write this.

With much love and deep appreciation,[face_rose]
    Mir[/color]

5. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Good luck with the interviews, MF! @};-

Good things come to those who wait, including fantastic fics.:D I'm not going anywhere.

6. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Congratulations, Miranda =D= I hope the interviews go well :D

Looking forward to the update when you have time :)

7. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    You already have my Congrats, Miranda! [face_good_luck]

I just want to add that I'll be waiting to beta, whenever you're ready!

oldj [:D]

8. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Fantastic news! Good luck, Mir! [face_good_luck]

9. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Good Luck Miranda

If you head to Williamsburg, get someone to direct you to the Cheese Shop (its in merchant square). Best Sandwhiches ever!

(You will go to William and Mary, you will go to William and Mary)

I'm not biased I swear!

10. pat_skywalker39

pat_skywalker39 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2004
    While waiting for you, i'll move it up!

11. AniriRevan

AniriRevan Jedi Master star 1

May 21, 2006
    Hi, just wanted to remind you that we're still anxiously waiting for the next chapter!:) Can't wait to see what happens to Mara. I hope you'll be able to update soon!

12. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Author?s Note: Thank you to everyone above who wished me luck with getting into college. All of your positive thoughts and energy really helped. While I didn?t get into William and Mary, I did get into my top choice. [:D] I?ll be starting school at the end of August!

I must apologize for such a drought in updates. You all have been most patient and I am grateful for that. @};- I didn?t realize the process of getting accepted into a school was actually easier than what came after the fact. I?ve been traveling in search of a new place to live and using much of my free-time for that, working, or searching/applying for scholarships.

It?s my goal to have this story wrapped up by the end of summer. I?m going to work hard to see that it does. :) Here is a list of readers who have at some point requested PMs. If your name is on the list and you?d like to be removed or if I've missed anyone who'd like to receive PMs, please let me know.

PM list:
    Briman
    VIII
    jade51999
    Golden_Jedi
    Jadie
    Jedi_Trace
    RedGold
    oldjedinurse
    JadeLotus
    Rosh_Penin
    Darth_Garak
    tasujad
    ZaraValinor
    Courtney_Solo
    ginchy
    Jetta
    DaenaBenjen42
    RebelMom
    ImperialSpy
    PonyTricks
    Inara
    furrylittlebantha
    Chewie-Fan
    divapilot
    pat_skywalker39
    motoish
    StarFighter5
    princess_of_naboo
    AniriRevan
    Snap

In the meantime, a new update is almost ready to post. Until then, here?s a teaser to wet your appetites.

Previous chapter events: In a nutshell: Pellaeon betrayed Sly Moore in breaking with their agreement. Vaso Barak (cover name Mikael Wyeth) forcefully takes Mara Jade and the mysterious Umbaran, Nurev Belseech. Luke Skywalker and the others on Corellia learn of her capture.

* For a more thorough synopsis and the last chapter click here.

TEASER:

Streaking along the Perlemian Trade Route, the Vendetta's officers were ready to serve their High Priestess. Several years had passed since the Battle of Endor and her soldiers were as loyal to Sly Moore as they had ever been. She had guided them to safety and kept them hidden from the strengthening Rebels always continuing to have the men train, to have them aspire, to have them ripen with the desire to avenge. Steps were taken to ensure that they still had a chance to crush the pathetic New Republic. Even with the seriousness of what had recently happened to their one and only hope, the Umbaran knew her men were ready to jump into action and reclaim the life they had led before the late Emperor's death.

Reclaim it they would...

From behind, Sly Moore sensed the members of her Dark Collective approach. They communed as one, and now there was anger that clouded what all of them felt. Two of their own had been taken - and none of them took Pellaeon's treachery well.

Moore didn't know where Nurev or her former student were. She didn't need to know. She had the Force and whether she used the light, gray, or dark shades of the spectrum, it didn't matter. All sides aided her and would show her the way to finding what she had lost, what had been ripped from her.

Calling her lightsaber to her right hand, Sly Moore hit the activation switch. A familiar snap-hiss followed the lengthening of her red blade. A pair of fiery amber eyes focused on the transparisteel reflections of her disciples. Each of them unclipped their own weapon and each blade extended in response to her own silent threat to Pellaeon and whoever else came to stand in their way.

13. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    oooooooh, twin!!!

She had the Force and whether she used the light, gray, or dark shades of the spectrum, it didn't matter.

Even having read the update already, this is giving me chills!! Excellent work!

And I'm always so glad to see you back to posting. THIS is my profic. Yes ma'am! :D

14. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Looks great :D Glad you're back to posting [face_dancing]

And good luck with everything @};-

15. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Hi, Yobi and ginchy! [:D] Thank you both so much. Here's hoping this update doesn't disappoint.

I wanted to thank my beta, oldjedinurse looking this over and taking time out of the hectic and DRL to help in editing. @};- I couldn't ask for a more supportive beta or group of readers... so thank you all again for your patience.

Enjoy and have fun reading! [:D]

[b]CHAPTER 31[/b]

Something stirred inside Sly Moore as she glared out the vast viewport of her flagship. Only a day ago, the [i]Vendetta[/i] left its safe cocoon within the Ghost Nebula along with the rest of her modest fleet. Then she had foreseen the approaching betrayal by Commander Pellaeon and now she had [i]felt[/i] it. Moore sensed the severed connection of her dark lieutenant and Mara Jade.

Streaking along the Perlemian Trade Route, the [i]Vendetta's[/i] officers were ready to serve their High Priestess. Several years had passed since the Battle of Endor and her soldiers were as loyal to Sly Moore as they had ever been. She had guided them to safety and kept them hidden from the strengthening Rebels always continuing to have the men train, to have them aspire, to have them ripen with the desire to avenge. Steps were taken to ensure that they still had a chance to crush the pathetic New Republic. Even with the seriousness of what had recently happened to their one and only hope, the Umbaran knew her men were ready to jump into action and reclaim the life they had led before the late Emperor's death.

Reclaim it they would...

From behind, Sly Moore sensed the members of her Dark Collective approach. They communed as one, and now there was anger that clouded what all of them felt. Two of their own had been taken - and none of them took Pellaeon's treachery well.

Moore didn't know where Nurev or her former student were. She didn't need to know. She had the Force and whether she used the light, gray, or dark shades of the spectrum, it didn't matter. All sides aided her and would show her the way to finding what she had lost, what had been ripped from her.

Calling her lightsaber to her right hand, Sly Moore hit the activation switch. A familiar [i]snap-hiss[/i] followed the lengthening of her red blade. A pair of fiery amber eyes focused on the transparisteel reflections of her disciples. Each of them unclipped their own weapon and each blade extended in response to her own silent threat to Pellaeon and whoever else came to stand in their way.

High above in the main tower of the Coronet Mining Company, six men filled with thoughts of retaliation and recovery held a meeting. Even the Corellian sun couldn't break the chill and worry that had fallen over their spirits. Mara Jade had been taken by the Empire and every second that slipped away was critical to her survival. They needed a plan and just as important, they needed to know where the Imperials had taken her.

The present setup within Gillis' office reminded Luke Skywalker of his days serving the Rebel Alliance. There were whispered tones and visible tension. Back then, these types of conferences often ended tragically, with the Empire coming out on top. Luke shook his head. There was no time for pessimism; best to remain hopeful.

[i]I promise that this outcome will be different from all the others. It has to be.[/i]

They would find Mara and those who had taken her would face justice.

In this meeting, each individual had his own job and person to contact.

As Luke secured an encrypted transmission line on Yarot Gillis' Holocomm, he flexed the fingers of his artificial hand, waiting for a connection to be established. From behind him, he heard Lando talk to his associates on Kessel, and there was Rostek Horn's distinguished voice as he commed in friendly favors over at the shipyards without drawing suspicion to himself. Talon Karrde was giving orders to Aves who in turn informed the [i]Wild Karrde[/i] of what had happened. All of Mara's fellow crew mates wanted to join in on the s

16. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Loved the Leia&Luke conversation and what we got to see of Corran, Mirax, and Booster. (and Sly? Oh my...)

And this bit...

After a moment, he said, "I require your assistance."

A single red brow lifted in amusement. "Wonderful, I require my weapons. I want them back."

So, so Mara. :)

Well done and good post.

17. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Miranda, you already know what I think of this, but...

WOOHOO!!! I'm soooooooo glad you're back with this story! I love it. And your characterization of Mara is so great (although I profess some admiration for the ubiquitous Hensly)!

oldj

18. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    "She's busy," said a stubborn Booster Terrik.

"Come on, I haven't spoken to her in days."

"Well, that's your own fault, CorSec," Booster said gruffly over the comlink.

"Dad!" A feminine voice shouted from almost out of range. "Corran?"

Just as I pictured them. I never really quite saw why Corran wasn't good enough for Mirax, unless NO ONE was good enough for Mirax. [face_laugh]

Wonderful update! I love Rosetta. She's a girl like our Mara - smart and resourceful.:cool: I loved how the boys are all working together to get her back. It's as if she is the one who links them all and without her, they are missing the vital piece. Their loyalty is remarkable. [:D]

And Mara - love that she got to kick Mykal in the face, although I'm sure she's gonna pay dearly for it. [face_worried]

=D= =D= =D=

19. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    heheh, love Corran and Mirax.... ;)

And yep, that's Mara for ya!

Great to see this updated!!!

20. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    I think Mara's actions might cause her a bit of trouble... although she doesn't go down without a fight! The Imperials should have known that. ;)

21. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    The crippling pain and falling darkness didn't take away her contentment. Seeing the two men's surprised faces was all she needed to get through this day.

Fort some reason I loved Mara's thoughts here...

So good to see this story back! :)

22. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    YES!!! *pumps fist into air*

THERE is our girl! Mara Jade is RIGHT HERE, folks. Right here in this wonderful story!

A single red brow lifted in amusement. "Wonderful, I require my weapons. I want them back."

Twin! That is perfect. Beyond perfect. Actually, that's what the entire last section is. Well, and the entire rest of this chapter. And... well, while I'm at it, this whole fic!

Excellent update--you already knew I loved it, but I'm just saying it again. Doesn't hurt! :D

23. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    It is good to see Mara not make it easy for them. Way to go, Mara.

24. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Thank you for the pm. This chapter was well worth the wait. I don't know what Mara will do during her capture, but I fear that a torture droid will be a part of it...[face_sick]

25. Chewie-Fan

Chewie-Fan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2005
    Thanks for the pm... I had lost touch with your story. Now I can catch up. it'll be a good read after the two "Mara is Dead" (after Sacrifice) stories I've read...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.