Beyond The Blood of the Hand (Mara, Luke, H/L, & more) Author's Note 04/05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MirandaFair, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. jade51999 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm glad you're back!

Congrats on getting into your grad school of choice. It ends up you and my friend are in different programs :( (I think i did mention this to you. anyway..)

I'm glad to see some Mara...she's funny, esp when everyone else thinks she's cornered she still doesn't give up.

As for the Corran/Booster/Mirax conversation..hehehe.

I think I need to go back and reread though its been a while. I barely remember the conversation between Leia and Mara...
  2. JadeLotus Force Ghost

star 4
    So glad to see this story back, it was worth the wait! Congrats on getting your first preference! [:D] =D=

Love all of this, from Corran and Mirax, Luke and Leia and Mara's resistence (perfect!)

Can't wait to see what happens next...
  3. Darth_Garak Force Ghost

star 4
    *yells something incoherent and very loud for a long time then starts reading*

Glad you're back and I'm happy you got in where you wanted. Right now collage is just wrecking what few intact nerves I still posses (very few, I assure you). I'll give more detailed review when I get the chance, ner vod.
  4. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Sorry I'm late [face_blush]

"What have you done now?"
    Corran blinked, affronted at his wife's accusation. "I haven't done a thing."
    "Of course he hasn't!" yelled Booster sarcastically.

[face_laugh]

"It's the least I can do," she said, waving away his thanks. For a moment she paused and Luke could tell something was bothering Leia. "Looking back on my last conversation with Mara, I do regret a lot of what I said. No matter what happened, she didn't deserve that and I..."

She can't blame herself :( She didn't know that was going to happen.

Her green eyes met the linear framework ceiling, white-hot light reflected off the crimson-red colored panels. The walls that surrounded Mara were polished black. The walls. Either she had gotten bigger since the last time she was confined to an Imperial detention block or her prisoner cell was smaller. Or... Again she reached out for the Force to help her. There was no Force-ally, no sense of anyone, anything. It was just her and her trapped existence. Or...it could be they renovated the room to house Ysalamiri.
    Didn't they know anything about her? Complete amateurs.

Loved that :D

He'd regret taking that shot at her. One way or another, she'd see to it.

Yeah, I have a feeling Mara is going to be getting some revenge soon [face_whistling]

After a moment, he said, "I require your assistance."
    A single red brow lifted in amusement. "Wonderful, I require my weapons. I want them back."

[face_laugh] =D=

I also need to note just how awesome it is that Mara refers to Gilad Pellaeon as "Gilly" [face_laugh] :_|

That's so perfect!

From behind Mikael came the whirring hum of repulsors. Then an image of dread appeared. The black circular interrogator droid entered and loomed dangerously over Mara's head, a single hypodermic needle glittered in the blood-red light.

I hate those things [face_worried]

Uncrossing her legs, she leapt from the floor to knock Pellaeon's legs out from underneath him. As soon as she had pushed Pellaeon aside, Mara swung a leg around and kicked Mikael square in the face.

That didn't take long [face_dancing]

Her booted foot made contact with his jaw and Mara had the brief satisfaction of hearing him grunt in pain. As soon as her attack started, however, it was quickly thwarted. Before Mikael even hit the floor the two guards had leveled their blasters at her and one of them fired. Mara collapsed from the stun discharge to fall with a heavy thud. The crippling pain and falling darkness didn't take away her contentment. Seeing the two men's surprised faces was all she needed to get through this day.
    Some might have considered her little rebellion a wasted effort - although it wasn't for Mara. The message she sent to them was understood and they were out of their Sith-foresaking minds if they thought she'd ever return to serve their cause.

Totally worth it :D Sort of reminded me of Season 3 of LOST when Sawyer and Kate are prisoners of the Others and Sawyer attacks their captors to test them [face_thinking] This probably just shows how obsessed I've become with that show though... Also, everytime Mikael's name comes up I think of "Mikhail" from LOST, so there you go 8-}

Anyway, tremendous post, Miranda :D =D= Really loved it. There's so much going on. I wonder how long it will take Luke & co. to find Mara, and if she'll even need rescuing by the time they get there [face_thinking] I get the feeling she kind of has everything under control, even with Sly Moore lurking around.

Can't wait for more :D
  5. ZaraValinor Force Ghost

star 4
    And your back. You craft such a great story. I still hope we can work together. I love Corran and Mirax. What more can I say then brilliance. Absolute.
  6. MirandaFair Force Ghost

star 4
    Author's Note: It seems fitting to make my 2,000th post here. I can?t thank you all for sticking with me through this story. You all have been wonderfully supportive and are the driving force for me to get this completed so you can see how it all turns out.

Before I give my replies, I just wanted to say I will be away on a long-needed vacation from July 12th to July 20th. I have a family wedding and this will probably be my last vacation for a while. I look forward to forgetting about apartment hunting, scholarship searches, and moving issues for a bit.

But one thing I won't forget about is BOTH and you all. I have parts of the chapter written and I just need to flesh things out and expand on ideas. The chapter IS coming together nicely. Expect an update later this month. :D

Thank you all, again.

On to giving my thanks! [face_dancing]

Thank you so much, Daena. I get such a smile on my face reading that. Mara is always a lot of fun to write. Even as the author writing this story it?s great to be surprised when she comes out with something as only our Mara would say to an Imperial commander. Thank you again for your lovely comments.@};-

Again, thank you for betaing! I always value your feedback and appreciate the encouragement. Very pleased Mara?s character was exciting. Even though she?s at a very low point, Mara?s a fighter. It?s not going to be easy for the Imperials to get any cooperation from her. And hurray for you liking Ms Rosetta Hensly! While writing the chapter, I felt the reader needed another presence of a strong female. Hensly was a surprise addition but I had been meaning to create an OC smuggler with quite the backstory. I?m unsure if I?ll get to her past and what she's about in this tale...as BOTH belongs to Mara?s journey. But I know someday I?ll hopefully get around to writing her own story in the Star Wars universe.

Thank you, again, oldj! [:D]

It could be that no one was ever good enough for Mirax in Booster Terrik?s ?book? or it might be the small, teeney fact that Corran?s dad sent Booster to Kessel. LOL I thought my family was complicated! 8-}

I?m so pleased you liked Rosetta. She is a woman living in a tough, tough galaxy. Just like Mara, she had to grow up very early on in life. Expect to see a little more of her as she?ll be helping Luke and the others on the quest to find Mara.

Can I tell you ho/>
  7. AniriRevan Force Ghost

star 1
    Thanks for this great update!!! I really love the way you write Mara! You capture her perfectly! Seeing her "alive again" is really wonderful!@};-
    Also, having Rosetta show up in the story gives it a bit of new mystery.
    Can't wait for the next chapter! :)

8. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    Excellent update! I'll add my voice to those commending your portrayal of Mara. :D

The crippling pain and falling darkness didn't take away her contentment. Seeing the two men's surprised faces was all she needed to get through this day.

That's our girl! :cool:

Have a fun and relaxing vacation! [:D]

9. Jetta Jedi Knight

star 1
    This was a really exciting and fulfilling update, Mir! You know Mara so well and I agree with the others when they say your characterization of Mara is great to read after the canon events. It is great to see her all ready to defend herself no matter the costs. The tension in her and Pellaeon's banter had me laughing.

"Gilad," said Mara, ignoring the older man's rank of commander. "I love what you've done with the place."

along with

Pellaeon chuckled. "I'm afraid I can't do that."

Sure you can Gilly, she glared lasers into his very soul.

I also really like Rosetta's character. Will we see alot more of her? And as always your Luke, Lando, Corran and Talon are the real thing. More soon!Please :D
  10. desertgirl Jedi Padawan

I was wondering where this story had gone. I knew you had probably updated in the time I was away and it's been great reading up to the most current of chapters. You're really leaving me in suspense at learning what is to come next for Mara, Luke and the others. Must admit here on the other side of the computer, I'm really and eagerly waiting to see what fate or the Imperials have in store for Mara above all else. Your Mara is real and I also loved the "Gilly" line! A great story and I'm glad to have found it again.
  11. MirandaFair Force Ghost

star 4
    Author?s Note, Replies and Thank you?s: Just letting everyone know the latest chapter is coming together nicely. There are some exciting bits coming up and things that I?ve been planning way back in 2005 are on the way. It?ll be great to get everything out there and to share it with you all.

I wanted to use this time to thank you for nominating The Blood of the Hand for the fanfic awards. I know updates weren?t as steady this year but I?m proud of what I put out and I?m thrilled you seem to have thought the same. Also: There are fellow nominees who are part of the reading audience and I, in turn, couldn?t be happier or more excited for you all. This is a great community here on the boards and I feel privileged to be a part of it. :D

Was that all I had to say? [face_thinking] Hmm...if not, there?s always the ?edit? button.

Much love and thanks. ;)
    Mir

Hi, Aniri Thank you, thank you, thank you. [:D] I think reading the latest part in the LOTF has given me a breath of fresh air for writing Mara?s resolve. I?m going on the ?Oh no, you didn?t!? attitude and the ?I?ll show you!? responses. Glad to read you think my Mara is up to par.

Rosetta is a cool chick in a GFFA that definitely needs more heroines. Couldn?t be more pleased that you like her.

Thanks again, Aniri!

Trace, you know Mara extremely well so thank you for saying that. My cheeks are burning! [face_blush] The vacation was fun and relaxing. My brother got married and I used the time to vacation away since I know come September I won?t have another true vacation until I?m done with grad school. Thank you again, Traci!

There?s no messing with a fiery redhead, this is true, Jetta. [face_laugh] And tension is a great word, isn?t it? Through that action and emotion comes the opportunity to give humor as a character?s relief or pressing on the matter.

?Gilly? was one of those pleasant sorts of surprises. Mara, Rosetta, Luke, Lando, Corran, and Talon PLUS I thank you. More is on the way. I promise. :D

/>
  12. furrylittlebantha Force Ghost

star 3
    Oh, I kriffing LOVE this story!!!

She didn't need to know. She had the Force and whether she used the light, gray, or dark shades of the spectrum, it didn't matter. All sides aided her and would show her the way to finding what she had lost, what had been ripped from her.

I find that especially interesting. It brings up a potent question: is the Force ?jealous?? Most people seem to take it as a given that a light sider cannot use the dark without falling completely to dark, and that it is impossible for a dark sider to touch the light without redemption. Are they as mutually exclusive as we think? I like the angle you took here.

They would find Mara and those who had taken her would face justice.

The cold determination here reminds me of all those Harrison Ford movies when the bad guys hurt someone close to ol? Han and he gets that sexy determined I?ve-got-a-vendetta self on. Go Luke!

Love Booster in this post. He?s such a great character. At least safely in fanfic; in real life when he?s blustering at the end of the table on Thanksgiving, it?s not so amusing!

Only passing speeders gave a sporadic flash of red and white tail lights.

I?m so envious; on top of writing effortless action, you ?trim? your prose unobtrusively with bits like this that make a good story real.

"Don't beat yourself up," Luke soothed her. "We all have those moments where we wish we could take words back."

On the other end of the comm, through the interstellar static, Rosetta Hensly heard her employer Booster Terrick release a deep breath.

Aha! Hmm, so Terrik?s involved on more levels than I?d thought?

Didn't they know anything about her? Complete amateurs

Go on thinking that, Ms. Jade. The banter between Pellaeon and Mara had me laughing out loud! I love that guy to death. He?s so?I don?t know. Himself. Understated and very, very cool.

Some might have considered her little rebellion a wasted effort - although it wasn't for Mara. The message she sent to them was understood and they were out of their Sith-foresaking minds if they thought she'd ever return to serve their cause.

You go, woman! Mara Jade ROCKS, no ifs ands or buts about it. A most enjoyable update, MirandaFair!!
  13. AniriRevan Force Ghost

star 1
  14. AniriRevan Force Ghost

star 1
    So... let's see:

Best Canon

The Blood of the Hand by MirandaFair =D=

Best Canon Interpretation, Female

Mara Jade Skywalker in Running by MirandaFair =D=

Best Ensemble Cast

The Blood of the Hand by MirandaFair =D=

Congrats Miranda, you deserve these!:D

@};- @};- @};-
  15. divapilot Force Ghost

star 4
    Congratulations! It is well deserved. I love this story! (hint, hint!)

=D= =D=
  16. jade51999 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  17. MirandaFair Force Ghost

star 4
    Author?s Thanks: Hello Readers, Lurkers and fantastic people in-between, ;)

I just want to say how overwhelmed I am by the enthusiasm you?ve shown for this story and me during the latest FanFic Awards. I don?t think anything that I?ll write at this point will be able to fully describe the way that I?m feeling. But I want to thank you. I want to thank all of you who have given patience, spirit, responses, support (especially when DRL or DWB crept into my life) and just being here and reading. This has been so much fun writing and I?m so happy the people I?ve shared this with enjoy it as much as I do. That in itself it the best compliment. The awards for Best Canon and Best Ensemble (Mara, Luke, Karrde, Leia, Han, Sly Moore, Nurev Belseech, Gilly, Corran, Rostek, Lando, and the others want to thank you, too for that!) are icing on the cake. It?s a BIG cake as I know how close these awards must have been. Many of the authors in those categories (some who are here) are amazingly talented and to be put up in a genre/category next to those names gives me chills. I?m beaming and the awards will only help me want to put out great work at the continuing snail?s pace. ;) My deepest, ?most giddiest? thanks!

Regarding the next chapter update: It is on its way! I know I said late July. BUT I?m really proud of where things are going in this and I feel exciting things (that I?ve been waiting over a year to do) will be able to finally happen here. I know this wait will be worth it for you all. It will also be a looong chapter. You?ll catch up with Ghent on Kuat, see what Luke and the gang is doing, and see what shape the Imperials are in ? errr- I mean, Mara. ;)

Thank you all and I will keep you posted!
    Imperial Scout?s honor.
    [face_peace]

Thank you, furry! It?s great having you here and reading.[face_dancing]

Thank you for your insight! I think Sly Moore is going down a very dangerous path as she is taking from any source she can get. In this one instance, the source is the light and dark side. Just like her skin tone she is gray. I consider her to be a ?gray? sider, leaning more to the darkness. Umbarans are prone to using the dark side since they are Force sensitives but Sly learned from Palpatine to use all the resources available. But a hopeful note is: She wasn?t the only woman to learn from Palpatine.

Haha! I love it. :D Vendetta is a great word. Moore?s got a vendetta on the universe (more like the Republic and the Imperials who gave up so easily on her Emperor) and now Luke is tempered. I wish I could say more?

Booster is lot?s of fun to write. Add Mirax and Corran and the family is even more dysfunctional. I might borrow your quote one of these days! LOL

[quote/>
  18. oldjedinurse Jedi Master

star 4
    You love writing this so that must make the recognition from your readers extra-special!

=D= CONGRATULATIONS on your SFFA's!! =D=

oldj @};-[:D]
  19. AniriRevan Force Ghost

star 1
    I'm really sorry to be such a nag[face_worried], but could you pretty, pretty please with sugar lumps on top, tell us when the next update will be?[face_praying]Or at least a little preview?:D
  20. MirandaFair Force Ghost

star 4
    oldjedinurse: Many thanks to you, dear beta and friend. Looking back at where I started, it's a kicker to see my bookend Yodas. [face_laugh] Who'd'thunk'it?

Aniri and all my awesome readers out there... I'm still working on the update. Recently I moved and have finally started grad school. I know I promised you an update in late July. *Bad, Miranda! Bad!* But I'm really excited about what's to come. I want it to be just right - for me and especially for all of you. It'll be a long update with plenty of goodies. I just got a new computer...and am trying to figure out how to transfer old Windows XP files to the new Vista. If I can do that, then I'd love to give a preview. I promise to keep you all posted.

Much love and thanks!
    Mir
    @};-
    [:D]

edited: spelling

UPDATED: Okay, I think this may be my longest chapter yet? Closing in on 16 -17 pages... I've FINISHED the update! Whew! And I feel great! Now, I have to figure out a way to save the disk to my new computer which only has USB ports... But either way, I think this weekend I'll be able to send it to my fabulous beta!

Thank you all for your patience! [:D]

21. dawn7191 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh please,please put me on your pm list. I found this fic by mistake while looking for another fic. I'm am sooo glade I did. I started reading and sudenly I looked up and there was no more fic. Ahhhh I'm bitting my nails. I must know the rest. I must.I must.
  22. MirandaFair Force Ghost

star 4
    Hello, Dawn! Thank you so much for stopping by! What a great compliment and I applaud you for reading through it all. It's been adding up to be a marathon. Major kudos to you. I'll be happy and honored to put you on the update list. Many thanks, again!

:)
  23. MaraJade001 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Please add me to your PM list. This fic is so good I even printed the thing out so I could read it even when I'm NOT at my computer! (Btw, you wouldn't happen to have a higher-res version of the cover, would you? I'd like to add a full-page cover to the printout.)

Again, nice job with the fic. Mara and Luke are spot on in this. Even though I'd like them to get a little romance in, I respect the fact that you're trying to keep it consistent with canon.

Keep up the great work!
  24. AniriRevan Force Ghost

star 1
    Puppy-eyes please [face_praying] [image=http://pics-23.hi5.com/userpics/223/180/180026223.img.jpg]

:p
  25. Jedi_Liz Force Ghost

star 6
    I wasn't going to delurk because you said this being "canon" it can't have any L/M romance, but I do like it. Can't stand Lando hitting on Mara, though.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.