main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Blood of the Hand (Mara, Luke, H/L, & more) Author's Note 04/05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MirandaFair, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    JadeLotus: Excellent chapter, Miranda! I especially love Mara - she is perfectly in character and the insight into her psyche was great in reaction to Leia's speech.

Thank you! Getting into Mara's head is fun. Makes me feel like I'm better off than she. ;)

Interesting that Luke was so disappointed that Mara didn't stand with him. But I guess we all know why

Yes, Luke needs to chills. Very happy you liked it! Thank you for continuing to read on. :)

Rosh_Penin: Hmm, Borsk. I'd check under your speeder before you leave tonight.

And under your bed.

And I'd check the lightswitch too.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] That's great! Yes, he should watch his back now. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Ol' Fuzzy never learns, does he?

Mara handled herself very well, though! And Luke still needs a good kick.

Mara's come a long way...but she still has much to learn about herself. And yes, Luke! *shouts to Luke* "Quit being a Jedi-dork!" ;)

Thanks for clicking!

VIII: I´m starting to think that´s impossible...

[face_blush] You're too kind. I can't help but..."[face_blush]" . Thank you.

[color=darkblue]Thank you to all my readers/lurkers. [b]The Blood of the Hand [/b] has reached [b]100 posts[/b]! Something I thought wouldn't happen, me being the newb that I am. Thank you for coming along for the ride with me. *tosses confetti*

An update is to be expected, sometime early next week.
    But, in the meantime, I wrote my first vignette. It's over at The Saga forums. (I know I should be writing this story- but I was attacked by a bunny - and the furball in Fel'y-ian style, wouldn't let go of me till I wrote it.) If your curious, feel free to take a look.

It's titled:
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/21743222/?0]Journey On - Beru's Ruminations (a vignette)[/link]

[/color][color=red][b]<3[/b][/color]

2. tasujad

tasujad Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    hi,

love the story this far :). Hope thata somebody keeps Mara busi for while or someone might find his bodypices around the block ;)

good work so far hope to see more soon :)

3. Jadie

Jadie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    I forgot to tell you Miranda *I knew there was something missing... [face_blush] * Of course I wanna receive PM's!!! ;)

4. Briman

Briman Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2004
  5. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    tasujad: hi,

love the story this far . Hope thata somebody keeps Mara busi for while or someone might find his bodypices around the block

good work so far hope to see more

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Fel'ya would be wise to keep his distance. But he's a fool, as we all know. LOL Thanks again! [:D]

Jadie: I forgot to tell you Miranda *I knew there was something missing... * Of course I wanna receive PM's!!!

More than happy to send you a PM when updates are made! [:D]

Briman: UP!

Thanks! :D

Hopefully an update will be made early this week. *crosses fingers* ;)

6. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    This is wonderfully plotted. I love Sly.

7. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    ZaraValinor: This is wonderfully plotted. I love Sly.

Hello! Wow another reader! *dances for joy* Thanks for R&R! This is my first SW ff, so to hear that the plot is standing out, makes me happy in knowing I'm on the right track. [:D]

Sly is a lot of fun to write. More with her coming up. Thank you again!:D

Chapter 8 is here! Enjoy! As always, thanks for clicking. [face_hugs]

[hr]

[b]CHAPTER 8[/b]

The orchestra struck up a familiar waltz as Mara Jade stalked over to the nearest bar in the Hall. Mara dodged the swirling figures and jovial attendees that stood in her way. Finally, she reached her destination and leaned against the service counter.

"What will you have, dear?" the bartender asked in a crisp Coruscanti accent.

"Your strongest Corellian whisky. Charge it to my room, number 0300, name's Jade."

The barkeep turned his back and poured Mara's drink. Gingerly sipping a pink concoction, a lavender Twi'lek stood next to Mara. From behind the woman's lekku, Mara felt the eyes of a man peering out at her. The Twi'lek hiccupped and moved away, and Mara glared back at the man who was now in view.

"So what's your excuse?" Han Solo was smiling.

Mara cocked an eyebrow. "What?"

"What sends you to this side so early?" He leaned closer.

"You call this early?" Mara snorted. "Probably the same reason you're here."

Solo nodded lightly in defeat. "You've got a point there."

A glass of amber liquid was placed in front of Mara. She took it and savored the burn of her whisky. She continued to nurse along her drink and Han continued to stare at her. Irritation started to make it's way back, racking what was left of her nerves.

"What?" She repeated with an impatience.

"You didn't answer my question."

The last of her drink was gulped down, and she slammed her glass down onto the counter. "I don't need to. Just look at who I was sitting with, that should answer you, no problem."

"What table were you at?"

"Twenty-five," Mara muttered, her back turned away from the ballroom.

Han scanned out past the hundreds of tables and at last, spied it.

"Lando, Luke, Karrde, some dignitaries and...." he said with a sigh from his gut, "Borsk Fel'ya."

"Right on target, Solo."

"Who made the seating arrangements?" Han asked with a disgusted look on his face.

"I was going to ask you the same thing. But I see we're in the same position."

"Well now, not so much," he said, "seeing as though your party is headed our way. Minus Fel'ya, that is."

Startled, Mara turned around. Sure enough, the Gambler, the Jedi and the Boss were coming right at them. Princess Leia met them halfway.

"Oh," Mara said, "Great." [i]Was there no peace to be had?[/i]

"Another drink for you, dear?" the barkeep asked, noticing Mara's empty tumbler.

"Better make it a double," she said dryly, turning her back on the four that had just joined her and Solo.

"Mistress Jade," Calrissian's voice came from behind, "did I tell you how much you outshine all of Coruscant tonight?"

Luke rolled his eyes and Leia laughed. While Han chose to go for the insult approach.

"Always a charmer, pal," Han said as he smacked his friend hard on the back. "Don't tell me Threepio's been writing pickup lines for you again?"

"Can it, Calrissian," Mara said, her annoyance seeping through.

"Such heated words from one filled with so much passion," Lando replied coming up beside her.

The drinks had finally come and Mara tossed one down like it was the purest water.

"Mara, is your dance card filled?" Lando said, charm working overtime. "Would you do me the honor? Dance with me?"

Lando held out his hand.

Mara laughed, "[i]This[/i] dance, Calrissian?"

Lando nodded enthusiastically.

"The Flornesk waltz is one of the most difficult waltzes," Mara smiled, calculating.

"I know that, my milady," Lando said. "I'll take my chances."

"Even professionals admit to its difficulty," s

8. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Oh, Luke. Innocent farm boy, Luke. You really don't have much lever in being tactful do you.

9. Jadie

Jadie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    Oh my! Things are warming up!

I love harsh Mara! The farmboy still has somethings to learn.

10. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
  11. Michelle_Solo

Michelle_Solo Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2005
    Yes,yes. MORE! I've been dying to see what this was about and now that I have time...

BRAVO! This is great, Luke never really had the upper hand in this sort of thing, now did he? :p

I would Like to be added to the PM list, (id there is one)

~CS

12. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    CS EDIT^: I forgot that I was in my sock. [face_blush]

13. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    well... I'd date Lando...

okay maybe not...

;)

14. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    That was all chock full of drama drama drama.

Mara being alcoholic (ok not alcoholic, just leaning on it a little), Lando smooth and surprising and winning a date!! HA HA! And Poor, sweet Luke--just not saying the right thing and in the mix Mara's alter ego...hehe

ooh intrigue at the end almost forgot that man that was great!
    Made me smile at the start of a LOOONG night!

15. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Ahhhh....Mara and Han bonding at the bar [face_love]

Brilliant chapter. As always, the Mara/Lando stuff was written exceptionally well. I can actually see Lando being a very good dancer.

Luke just doesn't seem to get it, does he? At least Mara gave him a bit of a what-for ;)

Eagerly waiting the next chapter!

16. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I've already served one dark Master. I'll be damned if I'll serve another.

Ouch! That hurt!

Excellent post again, Mir!

17. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    ZaraValinor: Oh, Luke. Innocent farm boy, Luke. You really don't have much lever in being tactful do you.

Hehe...poor Luke. He does try...he just needs to learn more social skills in trying to talk to a certain redhead he's secretly crushing on. Thanks for stopping back!:)

Jadie: Oh my! Things are warming up!

*turns on the A/C* [face_batting]

I love harsh Mara! The farmboy still has somethings to learn.

Mara's got spunk, no denying it. Farmboy...he'll never learn. Thank you!

oldjedinurse:
    =D= =D=

;)

@};-

Aww...thank you so much oldj. Sometimes the smileys say it all. *hugs*[:D]

Michelle_Solo:
    Yes,yes. MORE! I've been dying to see what this was about and now that I have time...

Hey there! Thanks for checking BotH out! :)

BRAVO! This is great, Luke never really had the upper hand in this sort of thing, now did he?

Why, thank you, again. Luke will get his act together, more or less. But we all know how many years down that road that is.;)

I would Like to be added to the PM list, (id there is one)

I will gladly send you PMs. Thanks for your interest![:D]

Courtney_Solo:

CS EDIT^: I forgot that I was in my sock.

LOL! I was going to say that name looked semi-familiar! I'll add this one to the PM list?

RedGold:
    well... I'd date Lando...

Sometimes the charm is appealing. LOL And he's a good dancer. We gals always want to be swept off our feet.

okay maybe not...

Nah...admit it RG! You'd date him, after Luke that is. lol!

jade51999:
    That was all chock full of drama drama drama.

Heheh I'm a drama queen.;) Thank you![:D]

Mara being alcoholic (ok not alcoholic, just leaning on it a little), Lando smooth and surprising and winning a date!! HA HA! And Poor, sweet Luke--just not saying the right thing and in the mix Mara's alter ego...hehe

Mara needs a crutch from time-to-time. But then again, don't we all? Happy to see Lando/Luke made an impression on you!

ooh intrigue at the end almost forgot that man that was great!

Ah hah! The mysterious man...hmmm. WOOT

Made me smile at the start of a LOOONG night!

Aww..[:D] Thank you for reading and responding. Putting a smile on someone's face...wow...I'm very flattered. Hopefully your night isn't too long.[face_good_luck]

JadeLotus:
    Ahhhh....Mara and Han bonding at the bar

Heheh...that's a lot of fun.:cool:

Brilliant chapter.

Thank you oodles![:D]

As always, the Mara/Lando stuff was written exceptionally well. I can actually see Lando being a very good dancer.

He's smooth on and off the dance floor. LOL

Luke just doesn't seem to get it, does he? At least Mara gave him a bit of a what-for

Haha! [face_laugh]

Eagerly waiting the next chapter!

Aww thank you again. It's knowing I still hold on to my audiences attention that encourages me to want to write more. So...thanks![:D]

Golden_Jedi:
    I've already served one dark Master. I'll be damned if I'll serve another.

Ouch! That hurt!

Yup! Hit 'em where it counts, it did.

Excellent

18. Rosh_Penin

Rosh_Penin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2005
    Did I say Luke needed a kick? I meant he needed a good smack about the head. :rolleyes:

19. Briman

Briman Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2004
    Great! Wow, Miranda, I'm liking this more and more with every chapter. I'm starting to develop a dislike for Luke in this though, and a much better liking toward Mara.

20. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Rosh_Penin: Did I say Luke needed a kick? I meant he needed a good smack about the head.

Hehe...hopefully Luke will get his act together. ;) Thank you for reading!

Briman: Great! Wow, Miranda, I'm liking this more and more with every chapter. I'm starting to develop a dislike for Luke in this though, and a much better liking toward Mara.

Thanks, Briman.:) Luke just needs to realize he's crushing on Mara...then everything will be better! ;) Ok...maybe not. Because then we'd have to convince Mara that she likes him. What a big mess!

It's good Mara is likable...that's what we're going for here. [face_batting] This is all the calm before the storm.

A/N: The next update will be made sometime later next week. RL has got me attending to one of my best friend's, being the Maid of Honor at her wedding. So I will be away, dancing till the minutes my responsibilities are over with. hehehe[face_dancing]

21. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Cool chapter.

22. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Awesome chapter!!

Han moved his gaze from his wife to his brother-in-law. He noticed Luke grin tightly. Han had seen that look once before, years prior. A memory slithered it's way into his mind's eye and a sardonic smile spread across his clean-shaven face.

Heh! Han knows a smitten man when he sees one. ;) (At least that what my little shipper mind want to think. [face_blush] )

Luke swallowed hard. His face looked haunted in the pale-blue metropolis light. "It is Mara," he said, moving closer to her, "but before you can truly serve others, you must improve yourself."

:oops: Wrong thing to say, farmboy. Loved Mara's response. :cool:

"No!" She said, whipping around to face him. "You hear me out. Before you start judging me, telling me how I need to improve, take a good look at yourself, Skywalker. Because the last time I checked, you've been borderline in joining the dark side quite a few times. I've already served one dark Master. I'll be damned if I'll serve another."

w00t!! You go, girl!! :D

Loving this fic!

23. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Yes PLEASE add Courtney_Solo to your PM list. :D

24. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Darth_Garak: Cool chapter.

Thank you! [:D]

Jedi Trace: Awesome chapter!!

Thanks so much, Trace! Was actually one of the plot bunnies that started this mess. ;) ;)

Han moved his gaze from his wife to his brother-in-law. He noticed Luke grin tightly. Han had seen that look once before, years prior. A memory slithered it's way into his mind's eye and a sardonic smile spread across his clean-shaven face.

Heh! Han knows a smitten man when he sees one. (At least that what my little shipper mind want to think. )

Han is all-knowing on that front. Like you, that's what my crazy shipper mind wishes to think. We shippers are a crazy bunch. We know how to keep things interesting. [face_batting]

Luke swallowed hard. His face looked haunted in the pale-blue metropolis light. "It is Mara," he said, moving closer to her, "but before you can truly serve others, you must improve yourself."

Wrong thing to say, farmboy. Loved Mara's response.

Is it bad to confess that I laughed writing this part? Ah...heck no. ;) That's what makes it fun! I love giving these two characters so much tension. If they just kissed and got it over with...things would be much better. Or would it? [face_thinking] *bunny hops on screen* *runs to catch bunny*

"No!" She said, whipping around to face him. "You hear me out. Before you start judging me, telling me how I need to improve, take a good look at yourself, Skywalker. Because the last time I checked, you've been borderline in joining the dark side quite a few times. I've already served one dark Master. I'll be damned if I'll serve another."

w00t!! You go, girl!!

Heheh watch out for the redhead. :D *snaps*

Loving this fic!

Yay! Another happy reader! Thank you for R&R again. [:D]

Courtney_Solo: Yes PLEASE add Courtney_Solo to your PM list.

All set m'dear. [face_batting]

A/N: Looking to update this week sometime. [face_peace]

25. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    A/N: Thank you all for being patient. My muse has been on the run. ;)

[b]CHAPTER 9[/b]

The sun rose early on Coruscant, but Chief of State Leia Organa Solo had already been up for hours. The HoloNet was at it again, and she found herself doing damage control. It was an ironic and cruel way of life that holoreporters lived. They built up icons and when their unsuspecting victims gained glory and fame, they pounced, tearing them into a million pieces. While the media was a nuisance, in its own way it was also a political arena. The many citizens of the New Republic put their trust in the Net for information about its leaders. Popular opinion swayed easily with stories, factual or fabricated.

Leia was surprised that she wasn't the target this go-around. Time had marked an acquaintance as prey and it angered her. Suddenly, it became personal. It wasn't just about the Princess anymore. In being elected the head of the government, Leia realized that those she was connected with were now up for grabs in the vicious life of public scrutiny.

The chrono on her desk ticked to 0700. Leia sighed as she put a transmission through to her twin. The tone pinged and repeated, waiting for its call to be answered. Leia felt her brother awaken, sensed his touch through the Force. The signal was received and Luke Skywalker's face wavered into view.

"Good morning, Leia," he said as ran a hand through his misshapen mass of blonde hair, blinking away what sleep remained.

"Luke," she said breathlessly, "I'm sorry to wake you so early."

"It's all right," Luke replied, blue eyes studying his sister. "What is it? What's wrong?"

"I'm lousy at hiding my feelings from you," Leia frowned. "It's the HoloNet. That's what's wrong."

Luke's image shifted closer to the transmission field. "Starting their attacks a little prematurely, aren't they?" Luke asked wryly. "I thought they allowed a little leeway before going after newly-instated leaders and such?"

"It isn't me they're after," Leia frowned. "It's Mara Jade."

"Mara?" Luke repeated, his forehead furrowed. "What in the Force do they want with her?"

Leia held her brother's gaze and a single brow lifted.

"Ah," Luke swallowed. "I follow you now."

"Have you talked to her at all?" she asked intently.

"Well," he hesitated, feeling slightly ashamed of his behavior, "we actually didn't leave on the best of terms last night. I haven't spoken to her since."

"Did you watch any news reports from the HoloNet?" Leia asked, folding her hands onto her clean workspace.

"No," Luke shook his head. "One second, Leia."

Luke waved his hand aside and a faint click sounded as his viewscreen powered on. Having a sister in the center of galactic politics, his main channel was always set to Coruscant's news and government. The pictures of the top stories quickly rushed past; Leia's Inaugural Ball, clips from her speech and then Mara....

"It," Luke faltered at the sight of the holovid, his voice suddenly dry. "It can't be."

"It is," Leia said gently. "I've had all HoloNet wire services disconnected in Mara's suite. It's best if she's with people she knows. There's no telling what she'll do, how she'll react. We should also be concerned about outside factions. Karrde already knows, he's on his way to her. If you can be here with Han and me, they're meeting at our apartment. Luke...."

He pulled his gaze away from the holo recording. "I'll be right there."

For the first evening in a very long time Mara slept peacefully. No nightmares, no voices, just soft slumber. This was a rare occasion, and still, Mara stirred. Her chest rose as the ebb and flow of her breathing quickened, and deep within her she knew something didn't feel right. Rays of the ochre morning sun streaked over her uncovered skin. She lay on her bed for a moment, peering sideways at the silver towers that peeked and dipped within her view. The chrono number flicked on her night stand; 0715.

Pulling on the satin robe at the

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.