main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Blue Milk of Melancholy thread - What Will You Miss From Legends?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    What the thread says.

Talk, at length if you can, about what you will miss most about the Legends universe.

Say why you considered it a part of the HEART of your version of Star Wars and why.

Share and share alike.

I will take a shot of blue milk for every one of my reminiscences and hope I don't go blind. Uncle Owen's brew is pretty potent.

We have a thread on what people would like to see re-canonised, here. And a "haven" for fans of the EU, here. Another "reflect on what you loved about the EU" thread is unnecessary.

2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Marvel's original Star Wars series spelled out Chewie's sounds in pretty cool ways. Once it had him go "FRRRRG." I was like "Ferg! That's my name." I felt like I was part of canon. So if I had to pick one thing that I'm sad is gone it would be that, it would be Chewie saying my name that one time. Waruspeed, FRRRRG.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    For me, my deepest loss from the old EU are the Solo Twins:

I know, I know easy answer.

But I was nine years old when Jacen and Jaina Solo were born. I was there in The Last Command and I saw them attend the Jedi Academy, I bought the YA books with them, and I followed them up to the New Jedi Order when they became adults. It's strange but I hate everything about the New Jedi Order *BUT* their characterization. Jacen going hog wild on his mysticism, Anakin trying to be the Golden Boy, and Jaina as the Fly Girl.

I don't like where the story went and I think I've come to terms with that fact because, bluntly, I knew these characters as much as anyone else and it was ridiculous would go down that way. Anakin, yes, might have died in battle because that's what happens to heroes even in Star Wars. It's an immense loss but Luke, Han, and Leia knew the moment their kids got into battle it would be a possibility.

Why I find the idea they'd let Anakin anywhere near combat until he was an adult a trifle ludicrous but that's neither here nor there.

No, it was the fact I never really could accept the Darth Caedus persona. He was not Jacen Solo as Jacen Solo was never a murderer or a monster. Anakin Skywalker, for all of Lucas' folliables, was not portrayed as a man who was incorruptible. Jacen Solo would die before he'd turn evil and thus I never really connected with the ensuing stories. I also don't accept a Star Wars where Luke Skywalker kills before redemption or capture--and while he can and will kill. I'd never believe he'd allow Jaina to kill Jacen--nor do I believe Jacen would ever harm his family.

So, in a way, that made me ambivalent to the EU.

Because in the great annals of fantasy and fiction, these two were my friends. I didn't know Anakin Solo as well, or perhaps was never as close to him.

But I miss him too.

Valin__Kenobi, Zorrixor and Jedi Ben like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.