main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social ~*~The Blue Moon Cantina~*~ (Bad Moon on the Rise!)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi_Allegra, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AgentViper007

AgentViper007 Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2005
    This is why I love living in London, we may moan about our public transport but at least I don't have to walk miles for a bus stop.:p

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    We don't either, there are two within two minutes of my home.

3. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Well, it probably wasn't exactly 14 miles - that was the driving distance, I was walking. It took about 5 hours, with stops at several stores on the way (Wal-Mart was sold out of Madden, and I wanted to stop at Staples for a new USB mouse). Sadly, public transportation is not really an option here - at least not one I've heard of. I envy those of you which do have it.

4. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Finally home from work. Glad I went in and started to find the way through the top of my "to do" list. At least I think I'm glad...

You can walk 14 miles in 5 hours. That is a long way to walk though. Public transport isn't too bad here, but it's nothing to brag about either. I use it most of time when I need to go into DC.

5. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I used the DC Metro all the time when I went to college there. Too bad it was only the one year before I ran out of cash and transferred to a different school. :p

[​IMG]

6. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Metro is great, until say you live in NYC for a summer and experience their subway system. I made that mistake and I've hated the Metro ever since. It closes at night, on weekends you have to wait up to 20 minutes for a train sometimes, the price for parking during the week actually makes me drive my car sometimes, it costs weird different amounts depending on how far you are traveling so you have to swipe your card on the way in and the way out and it's always crowded, but you hear stories on the news that Metro is losing money????

Seriously though, it's great for going into DC most of the time, and my kid loves to ride "the train".

7. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Freshman weren't allowed cars at the school I was at so that wasn't an issue. We used to take the Metro out and a cab back to campus if we were out past midnight. I remember it almost always being clean, especially when compared to Chi-Town's L-Train system which I also had some experiance with.

[​IMG]

8. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    It is much cleaner. Not allowing people to eat or drink on the trains is a big part of that.

9. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I haven't been to DC in over a decade. My wife and I went there for a vacation before we got married, and we visited some of my old haunts. I have no desire to go back now. :p

[​IMG]

10. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    In subways you don't pay a monthly insurance, nor gas, maintenance, parking. And most important your lady will understand if you don't have a car so she will not judge you by what car you drive. In Los Angeles, Miami, you will be judged.

11. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I far prefer having my own car(s). Freedom to go where I want, when I want with, no restrictions. I am married, so I don't have to worry about impressing "the ladies" anymore. Gas, insurance, maintenance are just a part of the deal. It's the same thing with owning your own home as opposed to renting. To me the pros outweigh the cons. Others may have another opinion.

[​IMG]

12. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    I don't own a car simply because it's too expensive. I'd love to have one but with the cost it wont be happening any time soon.

13. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't think that I would have much desire to visit DC if I ever moved away. I have lived in either Maryland or Virginia my whole life. There's really nothing special here.

14. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Wow, you don't even consider yourself special...how sad. :p

[​IMG]

15. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    If I moved away I wouldn't be here to visit. Besides if I were to call myself special, you would interpret it as "special".

16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
  17. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes You. Just admit it.

18. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I admit nothing. :p

[​IMG]

19. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    You see, I admit to everything. If people don't like me for me, they are not worth my time.

Darth Gangrenous likes this.
  20. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    No one likes me, it is a part of my charm. :p

[​IMG]

21. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Around here there's no way to avoid having a car. If I want to go anywhere, I really hqave to drive. Too far for a bike, or to walk, andif I tried that I'd be dead by thirty of melanoma. The sunlight here in Australia does not mess about, and I am very pale.
    Taxis don't come as far out as I live without huge fees, there is of course no subway, the only train is in town and is used only for getting to other towns and cities, and the only buses that come out this way are school buses, on school routes, at school hours. And if you're not a school student it costs way too much to go on one.
    So yeah. I have to drive. And people who are all 'carbon footprint' this and 'ecological sustainability' that without bothering to think about the plight of country people? They can take a walk out an airlock.:)

BultarSwan likes this.
  22. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Bardan your charm may be quirky, but I like you and I am sure many others do as well. You have failed in your mission to be disliked.

Ril I wish everyone could have the opportunity to take public transport if they desired. It is great for the environment, but no need to explain, even with it available here not practical to use when my little one's school is closer than the nearest bus or train stop.

23. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    shab. I will have to double my efforts. :p

[​IMG]

24. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    You are repetitive though, need to work on your originality.

I now expect you to answer with either Possibly or Indeed.

BultarSwan likes this.
  25. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Indeed, possibly.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.