main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Blue Moon Cantina XIX ~~ The Blue Moon Awakens

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Bardan_Jusik, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

But even Time Lords aren't immune to the touch of an angel. :p

2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
  3. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    *dances*

PCCViking likes this.
  4. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    This is post #37,000 for me. :D

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The drumline and tubas?

You guys have quite the party going on in here... :p

6. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

We try to get a concerted effort to bring music to the party. I can orchestrate other additions as long as I properly conduct myself.

:p

7. CalaelAzasar

CalaelAzasar Host of Quick-Games star 5 VIP - Game Host

Mar 11, 2003
    Speaking of drums....

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  8. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Or if you want really good drumlines and brass, try this:

I love Drum & Bugle Corps competitions. Anyone here been to one?

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Never went to a Drum & Bugle Corps competition, but I should really make an attempt at some point. We have a local group (The Buccaneers) that is supposed to be really good.

Now, marching band competitions? I have to admit, I miss those. They were my weekends from August to November throughout high school. Things were pretty strict, but we still had a blast!

10. CalaelAzasar

Mar 11, 2003
    I've not gone to an actual competition, but I would love to. I've been to a couple of matching band competitions though.

via R9-P4 :r2h:

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  11. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    HS29, "strict" ain't nothin' when comparing our marching band days to D&B Corps. Guys out on the field with a diagram. They know there's going to be a straight line at specific times in the formation. They're waiting where the end of the line should be. One leg out of line and *point*. I would never survive. I was famous for people having to correct me, "No, Drew, the other right leg."

12. CalaelAzasar

Mar 11, 2003
    Marching band (band in generally really) is the one thing from high school that I miss.

HanSolo29 and DarthIshyZ like this.
  13. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
  14. CalaelAzasar

Mar 11, 2003
    I played flute and in the years since I've also started playing piccolo. I currently play in a community band, we play about 4 times a year. I would love to be in a larger band that plays harder music (or even gets new music), but this is the only one around that I know of. The community band I'm a part of plays music that's about junior high level and I don't think we've gotten any new music since I joined the band (and I joined during high school or shortly thereafter).

via R9-P4 :r2h:

Dagobahsystem and DarthIshyZ like this.
  15. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    CalaelAzasar likes this.
  16. CalaelAzasar

Mar 11, 2003
    Do you have a favorite piece you played in band?

I can't remember all the pieces we played, but the marching band ones stick out in my mind better. My senior year we played awesome music in marching band, both my senior and juniors years we played some awesome music in band in general.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  17. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Yes, indeed! My favorite was when we played some PDQ Bach on a trip down to Florida. We visited another high school and did a concert with them. Quite interesting, like our own competition. Best part of it when we all pulled our mouthpieces off and had to play them as best we could. Hillarious piece!

My director was very good at choosing memorable pieces. He did choose the same things each Christmas, though. So when I hear that percussion *snap* of the Jingle Bells song, it still brings back great memories.

What was your favorite?

Sarge likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    My dad used to play trombone and euphonium, and he would practice playing his mouthpiece when he was driving. I know exactly what that sounds like.

Which PDQ Bach piece was that? I love 1712 Overture and Oedipus Tex.

DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  19. CalaelAzasar

Mar 11, 2003
    DarthIshyZ
    For marching band I think my favorite was MalagueƱa. For concert band my two favorites (that I can remember) was a Riverdance medley and Gandalf from The Lord Of The Rings Symphony. [None of the links are my band, although the one for Riverdance is pretty close to the size band we had at the time]

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  20. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Sarge, 1712 Overture sounds familiar. I don't remember exactly. We're talking the Dark Ages of 1984. Did you play?

CalaelAzasar, ahhh... you're a young'un!

21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    That sounds very familiar! We actually had quite a few D&B instructors running our marching band, so it was pretty intense. They pulled all of that crap on us! :p There was this guy named Lou who was a real jerk with stuff like that. He'd plant his foot on the field, and if we didn't stomp on it within a certain count in the set, he'd go ballistic. Fun times.

Needless to say, there were a lot of parent complaints. But you know what? We were known as the band to beat (no pun intended :p ). We came home with quite a few titles. I think our best show was my junior year when we did An American in Paris. Some of the formations were pretty crazy (the only time I did jazz running for an extended period of time), but it was fun.

22. CalaelAzasar

Mar 11, 2003
    DarthIshyZ likes this.
  23. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    HS29, jazz running? What the heck is that? I do bet you were exceptional, though, with that kind of training.

CalaelAzasar, you mention soundtracks and my brain goes immediately to Dances With Wolves by John Barry. Ooohh! Or Master and Commander! Both very good soundtracks.

Sarge likes this.
  24. CalaelAzasar

Mar 11, 2003
    I love soundtracks. My favorites are basically anything by John Williams or James Newton Howard or Hans Zimmer or Howard Shore. I'm sure there are other composers that I like, those are just the ones that come to mind.
    Master and Commander has some great music!

Sarge likes this.
  25. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    LOL I tickle my youngest to one of those songs. "Jing-a jing jing jing" and he's giggling up a storm.

CalaelAzasar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.