main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Blue Moon Cantina XIX ~~ The Blue Moon Awakens

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Bardan_Jusik, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I have just about all the Legends novels and I'm only missing some I've loaned out. They are mostly in storage containers because I just don't have the space for them all. :( I've taken to just getting the digital books.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  2. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Kaleesh-Cyborg Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

Apologies. Couldn't resist when I saw that. :p

3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I prefer regular books myself. There's nothing like the feel of a hardcover or paperback in your hands.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  4. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    That is awesome that you were able to save such older books.

What are the bookmarks for?

Hi Skyla Skywalker!!

Skyla Skywalker likes this.
  5. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    Hmm...haven't posted in here in a while...

By the by, Bardan_Jusik, where is the emoticon request thread? Awesome needs to be an emoticon. To whit...

[​IMG]

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  6. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    What would the awesome emoticon look like?

7. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    SWpants

Not sure if twowolves is online, so I'll answer. It's the little face he posted in his post. [​IMG] Perhaps it's not showing up.. It's a little happy face, lol

8. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I spent the morning running to Think Geek, Hot Topic, Box Lunch, and Barnes & Noble. The SDCC Pops hit today. :p My son gave me a list of what he wanted and I did the leg work.

SWpants and PCCViking like this.
  9. Lenea_Sandstrider

Lenea_Sandstrider Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012

Places I'm researching for projects.

And it was nice to discover those old books gathering dust when I was cleaning out my closet this spring. I had forgotten I had them, but it's nice to see them again. Especially the jet one, which while less historically important (a book on nukes from the height of the Cold War? Much more historically important) has much more personal value since I can tie it directly to my childhood.

Not entirely sure how I ended up with it though.

10. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004

Thanks! I see it now.

Lady Belligerent OK sounds like a busy yet AWESOME morning.

Lenea_Sandstrider Good luck with the research!

11. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009

OH MY GOD HYYYYYPPPPPEEEE

(my sig is not just for show, nor is my (and Lenea's) avatar)

EDIT: Yes, the trailer doesn't show anything new. But new Stargate in general is...yeah. See above :p

12. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Hello! How is the Blue Moon Cantina today?

13. Skyla Skywalker

Skyla Skywalker Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2017
    I'm good. I don't know about everyone else though. [face_laugh]

Halle Dray likes this.
  14. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Having a fairly relaxing week :) Can't believe it's already Friday!

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Skywalker_T-65, have you ever read Sole Survivor, by Ensign George Gay? He was the only one of Torpedo Squadron 8 to survive being shot down at Midway. I have a copy that he signed.

I just finished rereading Alistair MacLean's novel HMS Ulysses a couple weeks ago. I think that book taught me more about the convoys to Russia than most of the naval history books I've read. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Seen Dunkirk yet? In many ways it wasn't what I expected, but I was mightily impressed.

16. Skyla Skywalker

Apr 17, 2017
    Sarge I'm actually going to see Dunkirk tomorrow. My friend is making me see it with her. She's obsessed with Harry Styles, and he's in it. That's why she wants to see it so badly. I'm just excited for the movie itself. Not really the actors.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Judging by the historical accounts I've read of Dunkirk, they captured the feel of it with impressive accuracy. The characters may be fictional, but everything they did and said would be totally in line with the real actions there.

And there is lots and lots of footage of Spitfires, the most beautiful airplane ever built, IMO. I stayed for the credits to see who the pilots were; one was Steve Hinton, who is a well-known airshow pilot with many years of experience in Spitfires, and I wasn't a bit surprised to see his name on the screen. The flying was gloriously beautiful.

Bardan_Jusik and Skyla Skywalker like this.
  18. Skyla Skywalker

Apr 17, 2017
    I didn't think I wanted to go when she first asked me. As I did more research on the movie, I realized that it would be really good. I'm now really excited for it.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  19. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Hope you really enjoy it then!

Skyla Skywalker likes this.
  20. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

I've been looking forward to that one since I saw the first trailer online and it didn't disappoint. Wife and I went to see it Thursday and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. Skyla Skywalker, I think you'll really like it.

21. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    So a historical drama that's actually good? After retching my guts out after Pearl Harbor, I'm a bit gun shy.

Sent using Tapatalk this was.

22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I think it helps that Christopher Nolan didn't try to make this like a Titanic version of Dunkirk like the movie Pearl Harbor seemed to be.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    That's because Pearl Harbor was so historically inaccurate, I mean everyone knows the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Besides how could Japanese forces even reach Hawaii? Look how far they had to go!

[​IMG]

:p

In all seriousness, Pearl Harbor was a terrible movie on so many levels. Dunkirk on the other hand is awesome as a film and wonderfully done. As Sarge said it really captures the feel of the evacuation. The music, sound effects and visuals are stunning as well. One of the few movies I'll go to again in theater because I think so much of it will be lost in translation to the small screen.

24. Lenea_Sandstrider

Lenea_Sandstrider Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The actual Pearl Harbor parts of PH weren't horrible. Anachronistic ships aside.

It's the strange need to make two-thirds of it a romance movie with the other third split between Battle of Britain, the actual title battle and Doolittle that weighs that movie down. Tora Tora Tora, older it may be, was and is a much better Pearl Harbor movie. And I say this as the resident naval historian.

(though even actual documentaries can annoy me at times, so there's that :p )

25. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Tora, Tora, Tora is a good movie. Midway is even better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.