Before The Blue Side of the Force: Book I- Complements (9/28 - to find a mysterious planet)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 15, 2005.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Yikes! I went a while there again. But I'm happy to report that the net result of my not writing/posting is a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, which I accepted whilst dressed as Princess Leia. :D Now that I'm back home and unemployed, my time shall be at least partially given to writing. Especially since next chapter we pick up one of my favourite characters ever.

Striker:
    I love Mission. I just have to remember to keep her running around. :) Glad you're enjoying!

JoE: I'm glad you're enjoying the ensemble- I sometimes wonder if I have too many characters running around, but I'm glad it's working anyway. :)

princess: So much for networks and Jlit... though I admit I had to write a story for my lit class, and that ended up being 11 pages long, hence the further delay on this guy. But if anyone wants to see Leiraya Moran ported into her own original universe, I've got that file floating around...

Rogue_Pilot: Yeah, I know- it currently sucks to be Carth. :( Thanks for reading!

JadeSolo
    : Complications? You don't know the half of it. ;)

Jherron: Knowing my propensity to get busy, you'll probably be juuuust fine. :p

Aaaaaand...

This chapter brought to you by Oberlin Computer Science and Philosophy. :D

Chapter 23

Bastila wrinkled her delicate nose as the trio entered the hunting lodge. "It smells in here."

"It smells everywhere on Tatooine," Canderous replied. "Has something to do with the fact that everything is baked to within an inch of its life."

"I can believe that," Aiden made a face. "This place is disgusting."

The hunting lodge seemed to be one of two social centers in Anchorhead- the other one being the cantina around the corner. Like all buildings on Tatooine, it was made from sandblasted stone, coated in a layer of grime, and had the climate of a very large oven. Most people couldn't afford the cooling units necessary to make a place feel livable, so everyone walked around in a state of perpetual sweating.

"Look on the bright side, princess." Canderous smiled wickedly at Bastila. "You could be a Sith, and wearing black robes in this heat."

Bastila narrowed her eyes. "That is not funny."

"Of course it is, you just lost your sense of humour when you joined the Jedi."

"I absolutely did not lose anything," she countered hotly.

"Ahh, I see," Canderous nodded knowingly. "You would've had to have had a sense of humour in the first place."

"All right, you two, knock it off." Aiden rolled his eyes at them. "We are here to find a Star Map, remember?"

"That's right, and we're going to find it among this lodge's.... illustrious clientèle?" Bastila looked at their surroundings skeptically.

"They're locals. They hang around the more obscure parts of the Dune Sea. They've got enough alcohol in them that they're likely to talk. Also," Aiden grinned, "I just like to watch you squirm, Bas."

"Is that so?" Bastila drew herself up mock-haughtily. "I think you'll find I do not squirm all that easily."

"How easily do you squirm?" A leering voice approached on her right, belonging to a middle-aged human male. His attire suggested he spent his time at the lodge to escape the house rather than to actually go hunting, and his breath reeked of ale.

Bastila gave him her most unwelcoming frown and replied, "That's not something you're ever likely to know."

"Ahh, you just need to give old Tanis a chance, here." The man smiled with all the charm of a drunken rancor. "I'm not nearly so bad as you think."

"Look here, buddy-" Aiden placed himself between Tanis and Bastila, crossing his arms and scowling. "She's with me, so you can leave. Right now."

Tanis seemed as though he wanted to protest, but a cursory examination of Aiden revealed two simple facts: first, that he was a Jedi and could probably slice a person to shreds, and secondly that he was well-built and could probably hold his own even if his lightsaber were to miraculously vanish. Giving one last defiant glar
  2. Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_laugh] :eek: [face_laugh] Somehow, I think this Sand People negotiation thing is not quite going to go according to plan.....

Aiden in a dress? That's awesome!

Congratulations on graduating!!!!

3. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Okay, Canderous and Bastila at the beginning were kriffin' hilarious![face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh] Loved Aiden being chivalrous there, too.

Komad Fortuna? Forgive my KOTOR ignorance, but any relation to Bib? And Agamarian music is country/western, gotcha. Carth and Leiraya were well-written there. And hmm... that seems a bit... suspicious, there. ;) And Sith? Oh, noes!!! :p

Can't wait for more, DWH. :D
  4. Jedi_Rike Jedi Master

star 3
    Fighting Sith... in a dress? I picked an awesomely funny time to start browsing the forums again. I suppose that I could go back and comment on all the chapters that I've missed since I was last here, but instead I will simply say hi and comment on the next chapter.

Oh... and I will have you know, your story is still having the same effect on me as the last time that I was reading it. I battled some Nazis to aquire the amulet of Ra, found an ancient tomb, waited until the sun was at its Zenith, used the amulet and the sunlight to show me where the secret treasure vault was, battled some more Nazis, fell into a giant room filled with snakes, all to finally find and dust off my old copy of KotOR and play though it again. Oh and I watched Indiana Jones last night too.
  5. jedi_of_ennth Force Ghost

star 4
    "Look on the bright side, princess." Canderous smiled wickedly at Bastila. "You could be a Sith, and wearing black robes in this heat."
    Bastila narrowed her eyes. "That is not funny."
    "Of course it is, you just lost your sense of humour when you joined the Jedi."

[face_laugh] The banter between Bastila and Canderous was one of my favorite things about the game.

"Come on, flyboy, you're not a failure, and you're not going anywhere." Carth looked at her with glassy eyes, to which she responded, "Oh, don't give me that look. You're drunk as a Selonian on Disarmament Day."

I'm somewhere between ":oops:" and "[face_laugh]" on this one. :p

"Just stay close," she smiled at him. "I don't want you to decide it's fun to drop-kick Jawas or something, okay?"
    "I wouldn't do that," Carth protested. "I mean, I don't think I would..."

I don't know; those Jawas can get pretty annoying. [face_thinking]

Leiraya thought about it for a moment. "Carth, are we doing anything?"
    "I thought we were going to have fun."
    "Overthrowing evil corporations is fun."

More fun than drop-kicking Jawas?

"I say we send Canderous out in a dress," Aiden suggested.
    "I say we send you out in a dress, and then shoot you for suggesting it in the first place," Canderous replied menacingly.

[face_laugh] Had I been drinking anything, it would be all over the keyboard right now. [face_laugh]

Great update. :)
  6. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Rogue_Pilot: My philosophy is when in doubt, cross-dress. :D

Striker: Given that there's a 4,000 year time gap, it's anyone's guess as to whether Komad and Bib are related. Perhaps distantly, but who knows? This is an actual in-game character, so I didn't get to pick his name. *shrugs*

Jedi_Rike:
    Welcome back! I had wondered where you'd gone. :D Glad you're still enjoying!

JoE: I know, it's hard to believe anything is more fun than drop-kicking Jawas. Some people are strange- some people juggle geese. :D

And now, I present you with t3h next chapter. :D

Chapter 24

"Statement: I am HK-47, at your... service."

Carth peered curiously at the 'droid standing before him, a rust-orange, bipedal thing that looked too spindly to mimic humanity, but still managed expression with his glowing red photoreceptors. "Did he just say that reluctantly?"

HK-47's photoreceptors flashed orange. "Objection: I exist only to serve my master. I know no reluctance. Admission: I currently have no master, save this meatbag who attempts to run this store..."

"Meatbag?" Leiraya echoed. "Carth, I don't think I've ever seen anything like it."

Carth scratched his head and blinked. "Me neither, and I've seen a lot of models."

"Statement: I am one of a kind, sir. You will find no others like me. And if I am not removed from this shop quickly, I fear you won't find any like me... anywhere." HK-47 seemed to almost shudder.

"What do you mean, HK?" Leiraya asked.

"Answer: The meatbag running this shop doesn't know a hyperdrive from a hydrospanner. I fear I am doomed if I stay here."

"He exaggerates," the shop owner, Yuka Laka, insisted. "He has a... unique grasp on reality."

"But he's the only protocol 'droid you have?" Carth grimaced inwardly. Of all the 'droids to have, HK-47 was not striking him as being the most useful sort.

Yuka Laka nodded. "He is. But he certainly will serve you well."

"I'll take him," Leiraya nodded, and handed him a fistful of credits.

"This had better be worth it..." Carth muttered.

"Statement: Oh, thank you... Master. I am most obliged that you are freeing me from this witless meatbag."

Leiraya raised an eyebrow. "Do you have a problem with calling people 'Master'?"

HK-47 turned his head towards her. "Answer: Well, the word does tend to stick in my vocabulator. However, it is in my programming that my owner must be called 'Master,' therefore I must comply."

Carth rolled his eyes as they exited the shop. "Great. We've got an independent protocol 'droid. Just what I always wanted."

Leiraya ignored his comment and continued to question HK. "So, what other functionality do you have?"

"Answer: It is my primary function to cease hostilities and facilitate communication."

"Good!" Leiraya grinned. "That's precisely what we're set out to do."

"Statement: Lead on, meatbags."

Leiraya paused briefly before answering. "HK, are you going to go around calling everyone meatbag?"

"Answer: Well, it is what you are..."

"That aside, I'd appreciate if you didn't call us meatbags."

"Statement: Very well... master."

Carth looked askance at the 'droid, who was in turn staring almost enviously at Carth's blaster pistols. "Leiraya... I'm not so sure about this 'droid."

"Neither am I, but he's all we have." She shrugged. "We certainly can't get T3 to translate."

"I know." Carth heaved a sigh. "But... is he eyeing my blasters?"

HK-47 answered. "Statement: I only think wistfully upon a time when I carried such blasters myself."

Carth stopped. They had traveled several feet from Yuka Laka's shop, and were now surrounded by Anchorhead's population milling about them. "Wait a minute. You know how to operate a blaster pistol?"

HK-47 tilted his head. "Answer: I am programmed to handle most known forms of projectile weaponry."

Leiraya's eyes went wide. "Hold on- you're a protocol 'droid!"

"Statement: That is true, as a secondary function."

"Whatever happened to facilitating comm
  7. princess_of_naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice updates. Loved the line about Canderous' mom.

You do such a great job writing that I have a hard time picking out what's original and what's from the game sometimes.
  8. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Loved the arrival of HK, there. :D And Aiden, Bastila and Canderous rocked as well. Loved their convo before the fight. And loved the fight, too.
  9. Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Master

star 4
    Wait! No! You can't stop there! It's too short!!!!!!

Love Aiden in the dress, and love the droid. Meatbags, eh? Do I sense some "agressive negotiation" tactics present?
  10. jedi_of_ennth Force Ghost

star 4
    "Statement: I am HK-47, at your... service."

:D [face_dancing] I love HK. [face_dancing] :D

"Answer: Why, that is exactly what I do. I point my blaster at the meatbags until they understand what my master wants, and I shoot them if they try anything."

You write HK really well. [face_laugh]

"If I were Carth, I doubt I'd be doing this." Aiden turned to look in a full-length mirror. Bastila had chosen a cropped wrap top in pale blue for him, stuffing it with a few pairs of socks. On the bottom he wore a roomy cotton skirt in the same blue that allowed him to strap his lightsaber on to his boots unnoticed. The head wrap was white, but had blue flowers in a scattered pattern. "Okay, I'm officially regretting this idea."

[face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh]

Canderous snorted. "You Jedi people have parents?"

No, they just pop out of the ground! Like dwarves!

"Alive and still shooting anything that tries to raid her house."

Sounds about right!

Great update! :D
  11. emerald54 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I just found this and have gone on a reading spree. I've go to say, this is one of my favorite versions of KotOR.

I love HK-47 and his dialog, it's probably the only reason I bought the game. You write him so well, along with Carth and the others.

True, true, some people juggle baby birds, and others try and seduce captains to steal their ships. :D

Ah, I wish there was fan art, just so I could see Aiden in a dress.

If you have a PM list, can I get on it, please?[face_praying]

Ya know, Canderous really reminds me of Jayne... can't imagine why though... :D

Emerald

12. oqidaun Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'm caught up!!!!
    hehehehehe

This is as fantastic of a story as its always been. Leiraya is delightful as ever, but the part about Aiden in the dress at the end was great.

Thanks for the reminder that I needed to get back over here and give you some love. :D

13. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    princess_of_naboo: Thank you! I think that's about the best compliment a KOTOR-interp writer can get. :D

Striker: Statement: HK-47 is made of badass and programmed with awesome.

Rogue_Pilot: Too short? Well, then here's a longer chapter for you. :)

JoE: HK-47 has some of the best quotes in both games. I feared I wouldn't do him justice, but I'm glad to hear he came off well.

emerald54: Welcome to the story! I will most certainly add you to the PM list of d00m. And you never know, if I have a bored moment, you may just find a picture of Aiden in a dress show up on this thread...

oqi:
    You're back! I missed you lots. Now it's my turn to go and catch up on your story. ;)

As a sort of side-note, I have a picture from my last day of classes that kind of screams "Leiraya on Corellia" to me, so I thought I'd share.

[image=http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v74/43/17/4300072/n4300072_30619261_6663.jpg]

I didn't have any of my really nice costumes that were suited to a hot and humid day, so I grabbed my best Leiraya-like outfit and my lightsaber and called it good. :)

Now, without further ado, the next chapter!

Chapter 25

After convincing the gate guard that their hunting permit was legal, and hiking in the sand for almost an hour, Leiraya began to wonder why anyone ever bothered coming to Tatooine. Where did a system with binary suns start sounding like a good idea?

"You know, I'm water safety. I don't do this whole desert thing." She trudged through the sand, kicking some of it as she went. "Isn't Manaan completely covered in water? I vote we go there."

"How do you feel about bureaucracy?" Carth grinned wryly. "I hear they've mastered the art."

"Beats the hell out of this," Leiraya scowled at the unrelenting suns. "The novelty of having two shadows has worn off. It was less impressive than I expected, anyway."

"Suggestion:" HK chimed in. "If we were to find some hostile lifeforms, we could kill something to cheer ourselves up."

"If we didn't need you to translate, I'd take you apart myself," Leiraya retorted. "Don't mess with me, HK. Just don't do it."

"I'll second that recommendation," Carth advised. "She's difficult to deal with when she gets testy."

"And what's that supposed to mean?" Leiraya whirled around and poked her finger firmly in his chest. "You are in no position to complain about me being testy, Mr. I-Don't-Trust-Anything-Including-Your-Pet-Gizka."

"Oh yeah? Well at least I'm not trying to champion every cause of the undertrodden in the galaxy all by myself," Carth spat back. "I try to keep my goals realistic."

"Realistic." Leiraya snorted. "Flyboy, you're so constrained by reality you forgot how to live."

"Yeah, well, at least I don't get my hopes up anymore. It softens the blow when things inevitably fall apart."

"Inevitably?" She echoed. "Since when is failure an inevitability? Listen, I know that Karath is an evil bastard, and that was a major blow to your morale. But I'm not him. And neither is anyone else on this mission, even though I have yet to figure out what exactly it is we're doing, and how the lot of us got chosen to trek across the galaxy."

"You see? None of this makes sense." Carth crossed his arms and frowned. "Who in their right mind sends four padawans, one of whom they don't really know that well, one of whom has already shown unstable tendencies, and one of whom they don't really even like, to do something as drastic as tracking the path of Revan and Malak?"

"Here's the difference between you and me, Carth. You take it all as a sign that the galaxy is against you and the world's going to turn upside down if you don't watch it every second. I just take it as one of those weird things life does to you sometimes."

"Observation: The heat is getting to both of you, and you ought to seek some shade before you both kill each other... however entertaining that would be."

"Quiet, HK," they both spat simultaneously.

"Statement: I wi
  14. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Oh, wow. I'm not even sure where to begin. All of this post was pure win, DWH. :D The character interactions all around rocked heavily. Sucks that Bastila's mother is dying. :( I never did agree with the whole 'sending the kids away' about the Jedi. Must've tore her up something fierce.

So... yeah. All around, an awesome post.
  15. emerald54 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Ah, HK, gotta love him.

Humm... you'd put up the picture of Aiden? That would be fun... :D

I've just (as in a half an hour ago) finally killed Malak in the game, so reliving it through different eyes is nice.

Thanks for the PM, and it was a great post.
  16. jedi_of_ennth Force Ghost

star 4
    "You know, I'm water safety. I don't do this whole desert thing." She trudged through the sand, kicking some of it as she went. "Isn't Manaan completely covered in water? I vote we go there."
    "How do you feel about bureaucracy?" Carth grinned wryly. "I hear they've mastered the art."
    "Beats the hell out of this," Leiraya scowled at the unrelenting suns. "The novelty of having two shadows has worn off. It was less impressive than I expected, anyway."

[face_laugh] Great banter.

"That's why you like me." Leiraya grinned broadly.
    Carth could only shake his head and smile. "Yeah, it really is."

Aww! [face_love] You wrote Carth really well in this section.

"Hey, now, this isn't my usual attire," Aiden was quick to protest. "There were... extenuating circumstances."
    "But I'm always Mandalorian," Canderous chimed in.

[face_laugh]

Great update! :D
  17. Jinn_Soresom Jedi Knight

star 1
    Heave-ho, UP!
    Please Miss, might we have some more?
  18. oqidaun Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I loved this:
    "I want you to listen, and listen really carefully." Leiraya looked him straight in the eye. "I will never do anything to betray you. I have nothing to offer but my word, but I sincerely hope you'll take it, because I consider you a friend, and trusting is one of those things friends do. For what it's worth, I'd trust you with my life."

"I..." he trailed off. "You shouldn't. Not after all the people I've gotten killed."

And the potential heating up between Leiraya and Carth? :eek:[face_love]

How very cool.

Excellent update!
  19. Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Master

star 4
    Goodness, I am so incredibly late....

Anyway. Nice chapter. Love the gizka scene. That's hilarious. Interesting dynamics between Bastila and Helena. What's going on there. Looking forward to seeing a scene involving a homocidal maniac of a droid, Carth and Leraiya (whose name I'm sure I just misspelled...), and a camp full of sand people.

Thanks for the PM!

20. emerald54 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Would you look at what I found :D

Aiden in a dress.

Stumbled upon it while looking for a plot summery for Firefly's "Our Mrs. Reynolds."

And then, this popped into my head.

Emerald
  21. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Goodness, I'm sorry this took so long! I actually wrote most of this update while on the plane going over to California, but SIGGRAPH wore me straight out. But it was a wearing out of the best variety- I met an employee of Industrial Light and Magic who I liked very much, built an X-Wing fighter out of cardboard triangles, and discussed the awesomeness of Knights of the Old Repbulic with two technical directors from DreamWorks (who were, incidentally, interviewing me, and stressing out over that is one of the main reasons you've not seen much of me).

In any case, I'd at least like you all to know that the delay was caused by possibly the best week and a half of my life.

Striker: Glad you enjoyed! :D

emerald54: Well, it seems you've taken away the necessity of me drawing Aiden, but I may yet do it anyway. :D

JoE:
    Banter is the spice of life. Good to hear my characters satisfy. :)

Jinn_Soresom: Yes, you may have some more! Right now, even! ;)

oqi: I love these two. So much. You have no idea. :p

Rogue_Pilot:
    You're late? Heck, I'm hardly the model of punctuality. I'm happy I haven't had the lot of you give up on me, I'm such a delinquent sometimes. Thank you for reading!

Chapter 26

Leiraya and Carth were not long waiting for HK-47, passing the time by trading stories about their childhood memories of beaches and rainstorms. In the midst of a discussion of the limits of the human body in regards to water temperature, the rust-coloured 'droid plodded back through the sand and joined them once more.

Carth looked expectantly at the 'droid. "So, what's the verdict?"

"Statement: Your concern for my welfare is touching. I will have you know that they would have destroyed me had I not spoken so eloquently on your behalf."

"And?" Leiraya prompted him to continue.

"Statement: The Chieftan will talk, but only briefly. Observation: He harbours a deep distrust for anything not wrapped in an overabundance of smelly cloth and waving a gaffi stick in a menacing fashion."

"Well, then let's move." Leiraya set forward, moving as quickly as she could manage in the heat. The three of them made their way to the village, entering cautiously. They were welcomed by the sight of a fair percentage of the residents of the village pointing their gaffi sticks and blaster rifles at them, but no one made any move to attack. From the far end of the courtyard, one of them spoke.

"Translation: The Chieftan greets you, but does not welcome you. He wishes to know what brings you to his village."

"Tell the honoured Chieftan that we mean no harm. We've been led to believe that there has been unrest between the Sandpeople and the residents of Anchorhead."

HK-47 obediently translated, and the Chieftan's reply was swift and sounded somewhat violent. "Translation:" HK offered conversationally, "He says that is an understatement, and that there are few abominations to this planet worse than Czerka. Statement: I suggest the meatbag is unstable, and we should blast him."

"No," Leiraya glared at him. "Absolutely not."

"HK," Carth interrupted, "Ask him what it would take to stop the attacks on hunters in the hunting grounds."

"What?" Leiraya looked at him curiously. "Did you catch something I didn't?"

"No, I just have a theory." He looked over at HK, who dutifully relayed the message.

There was silence for several long moments, and Leiraya wondered if they'd pushed too hard, too fast. When the Chieftan's response came, she was almost afraid to hear the translation.

"Translation: The Chieftan says that if you bring him a vaporator, he'll consider reducing the attacks."

Leiraya looked at Carth. "Vaporator?"

"They're the most damned useful machines on this planet," Carth replied. "Only real way to squeeze any moisture out of this rock."

She paused to consider this, then nodded. "We can do that, right?"

"Yeah, we ought to be able to find one in decent working condition." Carth turned to the 'droid. "Tell him
  22. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Loved this, DWH. HK haggling on behalf of Leiraya and Carth was priceless! And his Gaffi Stick? I sense trouble. ;) Can't wait for more!
  23. emerald54 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    If I started quoting all the parts I liked, I'd end up reposting the whole thing.

HK was always one of my favorite characters in KOTOR, and I still use his quotes in everyday conversation. (Much to the annoyance of my mother.)

I would comment further, but DRL is dragging me away.

Please update soon!
  24. Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooohh There's more? Awesome! That's hilarious. I'll admit: I was getting sub-missions confused, but I think I'm clear now. Can't wait till the next bit!
  25. oqidaun Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Sorry for the shortness of the R&R here, but I think:
    "=D==D= Loved it!" sums it up just fine.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade