Before The Blue Side of the Force: Book I- Complements (9/28 - to find a mysterious planet)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 15, 2005.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    emerald54: That Leviathan just sneaks up on you. :p In any case, it's going to be interesting to see exactly how this plays out. I have my own ideas, but the characters might fight me on it, so we'll see. Thanks for reading!

Striker: You may remember Karath from waaaaay back on Dantooine. But you're right, he's trouble. :)

Rogue_Pilot: I am occasionally timely! I actually think I'm on a writing spree lately. :p

JoE: Thanks! I do worry about juggling the cast, but I'm glad that no one's gotten lost yet. :D

Entropist: Actually, I have a confession to make. I hate Manaan as a level. And I don't think it would translate well into written form. So, even though Leiraya would have a field day with Hrakert Station, I decided to axe it. Don't worry, I have a logical explanation. But yeah... no Manaan for this story. Not in this draft, anyway. :p

dark_jedi_lover: I may or may not have annoyances with the way the game was constructed so far as the male versus female players are concerned. So... I make no promises of anything. :D

princess_of_naboo: I'm rather fond of that line myself. Thanks for reading!

*whew* Now that I've taken care of that, I give you an update!

Chapter 30

"We've got a minute," Carth looked around the circle at everyone standing there, in varying stages of coherency. "They'll board the ship, and they're not going to want any nonsense."

"But there has to be a way to formulate an escape," Aiden protested. "Bastila or I could-"

"No," Carth cut him off. "You and Bastila are the first people they'll be watching. Me too, for that matter, since Saul Karath taught me everything I know. If there's going to be an escape plan, it has to rely on someone else."

"I'll do it," Canderous volunteered. "You can shoot me somewhere nasty, I'll sneak out of the medbay."

"Wait just a second," Aiden looked at the Mandalorian. "You can stage an escape while critically wounded?"

"No," Canderous replied, clearly denoting the preposterousness of the statement. "Back in the late days of the war I got an implant that helps me regenerate at an impressive rate. It'll hurt, but a Mandalorian never shies away from pain."

"You're sure you'll be able to do it?"

"Yes, and you won't find a better man for the job, either."

"All right," Aiden nodded. "Someone had better shoot Canderous before they board."

"Which will have to be now," Carth replied, and quickly pulled out his blaster, shooting Canderous in the gut. Canderous coughed and grimaced, but motioned for him to continue. A few more quick shots rendered him unconscious. Carth checked his vitals, which seemed to be stable, and he and Aiden proceeded to lift him to the small medical bay.

No sooner had they put him down on the table than the sound of the ramp hissing open tore through the ship.

"They're here."

Things could have, on the whole, gone a lot worse, Aiden thought. Okay, so he, Bastila and Carth were being held in force-field cages with naught but their underwear to protect them, but he was pretty sure he'd seen Canderous carried out of the Hawk on a stretcher. He wasn't sure where they were, or why Malak wanted them so badly, but hopefully he'd figure something out.

If not, things might get very interesting.

"Karath," Carth snarled. Aiden looked up and saw the Admiral stride confidently into the small room holding them.

"Ah, Carth. It's been too long since we last met."

"You can drop the pleasantries, Saul."

"That's Admiral Karath to you, Carth."

"You destroyed my world," Carth continued, ignoring the attempt to reinforce rank. "You killed my wife, and for that I'll see you dead."

"Empty words, Onasi. That's all I ever hear from you these days." Karath shook his head sadly. "And you were so promising. However, I'm not here to trade empty threats with you. I'm here to make sure your friends are ready for Lord Malak's arrival."

"You won't get any information out of
  2. Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Master

star 4
    Cool chapter!!!!! I like the regenerator thing. Know where I can find one of those? That Kareth guy is NASTY!!!!!!
  3. emerald54 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Humm, I always used Mission or Juhani for this part, but it's an interesting difference. Sasha's still around? Huh, didn't think she would stay.

Nice to finally see some action between Carth and Leiraya, though I wonder if she's going to be the one that beats some sense into his brain after the whole revelation thing.

Thanks for the PM, and update soon!

Emerald
  4. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    An... interesting plan by Canderous, although it did work. *Shrug* Ah, well. And hmm... past association? With Malak? *Rubs chin*

Great post, DWH. :)
  5. jedi_of_ennth Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, it's nice to see that Carth and Leiraya are making some progress on the relationship front. As long as Carth doesn't get himself killed seeking revenge, that is. ;)

Canderous was great in this chapter; it's nice to see him get some time to showcase his mad Mando skillz of doom. :cool:
  6. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Rogue_Pilot: Yeah, we all wish we could have one of those. However, it was really insanely handy in-game. :)

emerald54: Yeah, I usually take Sasha back to Dantooine during the game. But it wasn't jiving with the narrative to take her back, and I realized they still had her. Whoops. Oh well, given what happened, I'm just as happy to have not sent her home.

Striker: Silly plans are the stock in trade for video games. :p It does seem a little absurd, but it works. Thanks for reading!

JoE: I think people forget how cool Canderous is, and I've had a lot of fun writing him. :D And yes, it was about time those two got together. I mean, this has only been going on for what, two years? Yeah...

Chapter 31

The storage room was right where Carth had predicted, and they immediately set about gathering their things. As they rifled through the equipment lockers for their supplies, Carth began to apologize. "Sorry I held us up-"

"Don't worry," Bastila replied, firmly placing his orange jacket in his hands. "Took you long enough, anyway."

"I... huh?" Carth blinked and looked over to Aiden for guidance, but he merely shrugged noncommittally. Turning back and meeting Bastila's pointed gaze, he finally got it. "Oh."

"They're going to figure out what happened soon enough," Aiden stated, clipping his lightsaber back on to his belt. "We're going to have to move fast. Carth, how do we get to the bridge?"

"If I'm remembering correctly, there's an elevator that will take us directly to the bridge. But it's on the other side of the ship."

"Well, then let's move." Aiden motioned for Carth to lead the way.

Carth edged his way out into the hall, blaster at ready. "Clear."

The trio jogged to the end of the corridor before they heard the alarms go off.

Aiden grimaced. "Fantastic."

Bastila shrugged. "You knew it would happen eventually."

"Yeah, but I was hoping we wouldn't have to fight through so many troops."

"True." Bastila ignited her lightsaber as she saw a knot of Sith troopers running towards them. "But we've gotten this far, we can't let them stop us now."

Aiden shook his head ruefully, and smiled as he ignited his own lightsaber. "You're crazy."

"I resent that."

"You shouldn't," Aiden blocked the first volley of bolts that rocketed towards him, "because that's why I like you."

Bastila was too busy blocking her own round of blaster bolts to respond, but she had an atypical smile on her face as she cut her way through the soldiers trying to run them down. Once they fought through the first group, they knew they weren't finished. More were on the way, but Bastila took a moment to look over at Aiden. "Did you mean that?"

"Wouldn't say it if I didn't," Aiden replied, stepping towards her. "I mean, there are other reasons, too, but the being crazy part helps an awful lot..."

"Guys, I'm going to interrupt your moment," Carth interjected, almost apologetically, and fired a few quick shots at the next knot of troopers rushing towards them.

"No problem," Aiden replied, running towards the soldiers. "I like staying alive." Quickly dispatching the soldiers, he turned back around and grinned. "Weird habit, I know."

"Well, there are a lot more where they came from, and we'd better move fast," Carth replied, adding extra emphasis to the last word. "It's going to be bad on the bridge, and the sooner we get there, the fewer reinforcements they can call in."

"Fast it is, then." Aiden hefted his lightsaber. "Let's get to work."

By the time they reached the elevator to the bridge, they were breathing heavily, sweating profusely, and had significantly fewer grenades than they'd had when they started.

"This is insane," Aiden said to no one in particular. "And we are certifiably insane for doing this."

"Well, it's that or surrender," Carth reminded him.

"Right. Not an option." Aiden straightened his robes and pushed a few stray hairs out of his eyes. "Though I wouldn't mind if another one turned
  7. princess_of_naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Dun, dun, dun... :D

I like getting a bit more of his reaction to the big reveal.

I'm bad. I keep hoping he'll get fed up and turn to the dark side.
  8. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Aiden shook his head ruefully, and smiled as he ignited his own lightsaber. "You're crazy."

"I resent that."

"You shouldn't," Aiden blocked the first volley of bolts that rocketed towards him, "because that's why I like you."

That was classic SW, right there. :D

And... Aiden's Revan? Holy cow! :eek: Nice little shock, there. Yeesh, DWH! DOn't leave us hanging![face_praying] :D
  9. emerald54 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Sorry about not replying sooner, finals have been hell.

Oh, damn, I was hoping for the rest of the conversation, but I suppose that's for the next chapter.

I like how you changed Bastila's dialog around a bit, make her be the sacrifice to get them all out.

Update soon!

Emerald
  10. Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Master

star 4
    I, also, apologise for taking so long to reply. I read it a while ago, and my internet was being stubborn....

Cool chapter. Poor Aiden. What a way to find out the truth.
  11. Jherron Jedi Padawan

Told you I would fall behind. Oh well, excellent update :D
  12. angry_bendu1 Jedi Knight

star 2
  13. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    princess_of_naboo: Thanks! I rather thought the game's dialogue was a little lacking in that section, because I seriously wanted to tell Bastila off. :p As for the dark side... who knows? [face_mischief]

Striker: Honestly, I feel a little bad about that moment, since I'm not sure it's possible to do it justice in written form. In the game, it's not a 'little shock,' it's actually kind of traumatizing. Traumatizing to the point where I wrote a giant philosophy essay on why it was traumatizing. :p I'm glad you enjoyed the update, though!

Emerald: I know all about finals, so no worries. They're one thing I don't miss at all. :) Thanks for still finding the time to come 'round. :D

Rogue_Pilot: No worries. See how long it takes me to update? I'm just happy you still come around to read and reply. :)

Jherron: Hey, whatever speed of reading works for you. :D Thanks for keeping at it!

angry_bendu1: Thanks! Glad to see you come by; it's always great to see a new face in the thread.

And now, though it took me a while to work this out, here it is! I hope you all enjoy this installment.

Chapter 32

"You tell them," Carth looked pointedly at Aiden. After a rapid exit from the hangar bay of the Leviathan, a short dogfight with a knot of Sith fighters, and a quick jump to hyperspace, the crew had gathered in the Ebon Hawk's main lounge, wondering what had happened, and where Bastila had gone.

"Tell us what?" Mission asked. "Is it about Bastila?"

Aiden shook his head. "No."

"Well, then what is it?"

"I..." Aiden started, but couldn't seem to formulate the words. "I don't even really know how to say this... but apparently I'm Darth Revan."

"You're what?" Leiraya asked incredulously.

"You heard him," Carth growled. "The bona fide, genuine article Dark Lord of the Sith who got us into this mess."

Leiraya frowned. "How does that even work? I mean, Aiden doesn't act like an evil overlord."

"The Council wiped my memories." Aiden replied shortly. "Replaced them with a new bunch, and I became their dancing monkey-lizard."

"You're joking." Leiraya stared at him, agape. "I mean, I never liked them that much, but I never thought-"

"I only wish I was joking," Aiden sighed wearily. "Well, there you have it. I'm the worst evil to come to the galaxy since Exar Kun."

"Oh, I wouldn't say that," Jolee replied thoughtfully. "Malak seems to be doing far more damage than you ever did."

"You know what I mean."

"I do, but you've changed. I knew it the moment you came to Kashyyyk."

Aiden's head snapped up. "Wait a minute, you've known all along? Why didn't you say something?"

Jolee shrugged. "I figured Bastila had her reasons, and that she'd tell you herself when the time was right. I was mostly just curious to see how you'd turn out."

"You knowingly followed a mind-wiped Sith?" Aiden raised an eyebrow. "You're crazier than I thought."

"Now, don't you get snippy with me, sonny." Jolee wagged a finger in mock indignation. "I'm not here to judge you, but I never felt in any danger. Your path is still unclear, but this is one old man who just wants to enjoy the journey for what it is."

"Well, that's something. Anyone else care to weigh in on, well... me being Revan?"

Mission shrugged. "Well... it's not like you can remember being evil, right?"

Aiden shook his head. "Not a bit."

"Then I don't see any problems. As far as I can see, you're the guy who came to Taris and has rescued and helped a lot of people since then. Anything that happened before that doesn't really matter, right?"

"I agree with Mission," Juhani nodded. "You have shown us true leadership, and you have proven over and over again that you are worthy to be numbered among the Jedi. Whatever happened, it is in the past."

"I still don't like it," Carth frowned. "What if your memories come back, and you turn on us all?"

"Carth, I can't ask you to put aside your doubts. They're what make you
  14. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    I'd like to read that essay, if it's cool. :)

Leiraya and Carth... about time! ;) And very nice with Aiden, too. No, the hyperdrive won't judge you. [:D] Jolee and Mission are right, too. *KIcks Jedi Council-hard*
  15. princess_of_naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Leiraya frowned. "How does that even work? I mean, Aiden doesn't act like an evil overlord."

I totally pictured the evil overlord list at this line.

Very nice showing Aiden's feelings. The part about the sister not existing...

Of course, now I'm hoping that Aiden gets mad at the Council and turns grey at the least, if not dark again.

Oh, I also loved the mention of the KOTOR comics you slipped in.
  16. Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Master

star 4
    I like this chapter!

The part where Aiden was describing the little details of his non-existent sister was SO heartrending!!!!

17. padawanlissa Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow! Amazing chapters! I can't believe you killed Kylan!:_|

I am kind of surprised that you skipped the Mission/Griff stuff on Tatooine, though.
    As always, I look forward to the next chapter:)

Who is in the bottom left corner of your cover art? Is it Juhani?
  18. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Striker: You may, indeed, read my essay. :D What Would You Say if I Told You I Was Darth Revan? - Identification in Knights of the Old Republic This was written post-gameplay, but pre-Blue Side. And originally, Leiraya was a light sided, female Revan (it's a loooong story how she ended up where she is now), so her name shows up in the paper a lot. Just remember, it's not the same character. Not exactly. :p

princes_of_naboo: I admit, I read the Evil Overlord list prior to writing this chapter. *ahem* Anyway, yes. The comics are awesome, and I've been reading the trade paperbacks. They will be mentioned more frequently in the revision, believe me. :D

Rogue_Pilot: I really think the game glossed over this a lot, so I'm glad you liked that part. Aiden's struggle with his 'past' is far from over, though.

padawanlissa: :oops: You caught me. I admit it, I accidentally dropped that plot line, and I feel bad about it. I'll have to pick it up in the revision, since I did actually mean to have Mission and Zaalbar have a merry romp in Anchorhead. And dropped plotlines make such a mess on the floor. [face_blush]

Anyway, yes, that's Juhani in the cover art. And, as you have pointed out, there is new cover art! I really didn't like the old one that much, and I'm much happier with the new. :) And I'm working on the new chapter, so hopefully I'll have it done for you guys soon. As always, thank you so much for reading and replying- I really do appreciate it. :D
  19. Jherron Jedi Padawan

Excellent update as always. Struggling to keep up, but my senior year should be a breeze from now on.
  20. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Jherron: Glad to see you could keep up! Good luck with the schoolwork, I know how soul-eating that can get. :)

Finally, I have the next chapter for you. Sorry it wasn't produced sooner, I spent a fair amount of time in spurts of incoherent rage over the stupidity of the actors and how their desire to strike is screwing with a lot of people who have nothing to do with their paycheck. I know I shouldn't rant at you guys, too, since you're awesome for reading this. But I feel the need to raise awareness that it's happening, since it's not being widely reported and it's really messing things up. However, this story is helping me maintain my sanity.

This chapter is brought to you by delicious cake.

Chapter 33

Bastila debated whether or not she should open her eyes. There were restraints around her wrists and ankles, and she was not quite upright on a cool, slightly uneven surface. Stone, possibly. She didn't know where she was, exactly, and her last memory was of Malak looming over her beaten form, cackling menacingly. None of that was very encouraging.

Eyes or no, however, she saw him enter the room- a swirling mass of red Force energy. Well, best to get it over with. She cracked her eyes open, and Malak was standing there, regarding her calmly. She was in a room that seemed to be completely made of stone, with only a few ancient terminals against the wall. "Lovely. Were all the remotely serviceable rooms in the galaxy taken?"

A brief laugh emitted from Malak's vocabulator. "Charming. I always heard you were a delight." He circled to one side of her. "Among many other things."

"Holding me here will do you no good, so you may as well kill me," Bastila spat. "Or is it true that you can't kill a person while you can still see them?"

"Your attempts to anger me are amusing," Malak replied evenly. "But why ever would I kill such a prize?" He leaned in close. "Much better to turn you, don't you think?"

"Never," Bastila gave him an icy glare. "I'll never turn to the dark side."

"Really?" Malak reached out, stroking her cheek. Bastila turned away, but there was little she could do to escape his touch. "Your spirit is fierce. But believe me, child... I will break you." Force lightning played at his fingertips, and the skin around his eyes crinkled as though he were smiling.

Bastila grimaced inwardly, but maintained a determined expression. "You're wasting your time."

The lightning around his fingers intensified. "I will be the judge of that."

The entire men's cabin woke with a start as Aiden fell ingloriously to the floor, shouting incoherently. Canderous immediately had his repeating blaster rifle trained on the lump on the floor, until Aiden threw the blanket off his head and sat up.

"What in the name of the Force was that?" Carth yelled, his own blaster in his hand, but pointed at nothing in particular.

Aiden rubbed his head. "I'm not sure. I think it was Bastila."

Canderous frowned. "The Jedi princess ain't here, Aiden."

"I know that," Aiden replied testily, picking himself and his blankets off the cold floor. "But we have a bond. Guess that means she's still alive."

"Did... did you see something?" Carth asked suspiciously.

"Just a lot of colours." Aiden sat down on his bunk and rubbed his temples. "Lots of headache-inducing colours. And pain, too."

"Sounds like Malak's got her," Jolee observed grimly.

"You know, I was happier when I thought we were just getting handy Force visions," Aiden remarked. "This? This is nuts."

Carth put his blaster back in its place and returned to lying down. "No arguments on that point."

Canderous likewise returned his blaster rifle to its resting place. "Wake me up again like that, and I might actually shoot."

"Don't worry," Aiden replied, grabbing his outer robe and throwing it on. "I'm not ready to try sleeping again." Leaving the cabin, he went to make himself a very large cup of caf.

"Observation," HK's metallic voice sounded fro
  21. Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Master

star 4
    No lightsaber? Leiraya, what are you up to?

I like this chapter. I haven't ever played the game (no X-box and didn't work on my computer :_| ) But I kind of know bits and pieces of it--the point: the first part of the chapter did an amazing job letting us know what was going to happen without spelling it out.

Write fast!
  22. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    *Begins humming 'I want to hold your gland'* :p Nice essay, too.

Poor Aiden-poor Bastila! *Puts crash webbing around Aiden's bunk* :p Nice way to show Bastila's torture without showing Bastila's torture. And lol that Malak was the original 'meatbag'.

*Smacks Leiraya* Bring your lightsaber! :rolleyes: Honestly...

Great chapter! Up!
  23. princess_of_naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Gah, I can't wait to see him interact with the Sith!

I wonder what he'll think of the tasks in the academy. I always liked the Sith Code part.

Poor guy, not getting any good sleep. Loved HK-47, as always.
  24. angry_bendu1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just wanted to up this awesome fic!:D
  25. padawanlissa Jedi Master

star 4
    I really like the way you had Aiden feel Bastila's torture.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade