main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD >>> The boards are moving. <<< ATTN Indexers and Thread Hosts: UPDATE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi Trace, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    If you don't have your fics saved on your computer at home, now is the time to start working on that.

As announced in the Comms thread here:

Our head admin Grimby recently shared some important news with MS that will affect everyone on the boards:

That's all we know for now, but we'll keep y'all updated as we find out more.

Here we go again...

2. KirneySlane22

KirneySlane22 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2003
    Um... are we sure this isn't an April Fools Day joke? Its just that this is a wierd day to announce this if this is serious....

Either way, its always a good idea to backup stories (and reviews!).

*goes back into hiding. Wonders if she can remember the last time we had this discussion on switching boards.*

3. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    April Fools!

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    This is not an April Fool's joke. Please see the thread in comms.

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Spoiler: I would be far more inclined to believe this if the 'back up your fics' suggestion had been made at the same time, if not way sooner as the coms thread which was posted yesterday.

If I am wrong, then the timing of this is probably one of the dumbest things in board history.

6. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Mod Squad has known about it since last month. The timing of the announcement was the head admin's idea.

Well I thought it was funny. 8-} But I guess everyone's figured out that there's no accounting for taste where I'm concerned. :p

7. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh dear... I wish I had an R4 who could download my fics for me!

Hope this isn't w/in the next week? I won't be able to get mine done until prob next Fri or maybe the week of th 12-16.

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    We don't have an exact date yet on the move, Mod Squad has already started backing things up just in case it has to happen pretty soon, but I don't see it happening quite that soon. I would suggest doing it as soon as possible, though.

9. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    As they say; "timing is everything" 8-}

Here we go again - thanks for the heads up, ladies!

10. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    Hmmmmmmm, what would a move do to an index like The Qui-Gon Jinn Story Index? Would all the links of the stories be changed?

Yes, March 32nd is not the best day for a serious, board-changing announcement.

11. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    This may be a dumb question, but every thing here at TF.N will be lost?

12. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Probably a 'just in case' thing... and I hope not. Mods?

13. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    In theory, we won't be losing any information. And in case of something catastrophic happening during the migration, various folks in the MS are working on backing up everything (yes, you read that right) on the boards. But as any good technician can tell you, you can never have too many backups!

So back up what you can, and rest easy knowing that even if everything on our end implodes, you will still have your fics. [face_peace]

14. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    So we really are actually moving this time? And it's not just some prank? :eek:

I remember the first time we were going to move. So much hype and then we didn't. There have been too many talks of moving since then for me to actually take it seriously now.

Oh well, at least I have all my fanfic saved on my computers.

15. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, we really are moving. IGN is down-sizing and are no longer able to keep hosting us. It might still yet be a while before the move happens, but it will be happening. And as DWH said, we are working very hard to make sure nothing gets lost, but the more back up the better!

16. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005

Ditto! [face_worried]

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    As you all can see at the top of the screen, this was an April Fools joke that was not. The joke was that we really ARE moving but we announced it on a day that most would not believe us. :D Well, we all thought it was funny!

You can see the newest official announcement HERE in Comms. As always, feel free to ask questions (here or there) and we will do our best to answer them.

18. HelloKelly

HelloKelly Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2009
    Are we going to have to re-post our fics?

19. Cheeseywob1337

Cheeseywob1337 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2009
    No, because they are going to duplicate this forum onto a new server, but to back our stuff up in case.

20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Cheeseywob is correct. If all goes according to plan everything will go with us and the only thing that will happen is the boards might be down for a few days while we upload everything. But as we all know, if something can go wrong it probably will and we don't want anyone's hard work to get lost.

21. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Down for a few days? I don't think I can live with that? :eek: :_|

Also, I'd like to suggest that something is done with regards to PM lists for fanfic updates. :)

22. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Back up complete! Bring out the dancing ewoks!

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi: I'm working on a year long challenge but that's all on my C drive anyway even after I post I keep the entries. :) And I'll be sure to keep a copy of one I'm working on there also. :) But how far back do I need to back up for? I've concentrated exclusively on posting one shots rather than chaptered fics -- I'd figure the main focus would be on the latter? o_O

Boards down for a few days? Ack! I'll be one grumpy Jade. :eek: [face_worried]

24. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    ...A few days? I don't know if I'll survive that long, either!

So glad I save all my stuff on my computer. Now to back that up on my new hard drive...

25. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    Well, 1) Oh crap! I'm going to have to Google what I've written over the years because I don't even bookmark the pages... [face_blush]

And 2), will we have "more butter flavor after the move? [face_whistling]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.