main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Boards Are No Longer What They Used To Be

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Boba_Fett_123, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Kerr_Plunk . . . now I'm all sad again . . . darn you, shinjo, darn you to heck . . . :_|

2. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Geeze guy, lighten up will you.

And the Mods do a wonderful job here. I just love [face_love] them all. That's Sturm, Gandalf, Kandue, Sapient... Gives them each a big wet sloppy kiss. Yes, sir I just love my MODS, wonderful, trustworthy guys and did I mention hard-working and tireless? :confused:

And how about that Genghis12! Gives him a double kiss and knocks him down and pulls the shades......

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I am deeply disturbed by the above post.

4. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    Runs out of the thread

Axl.

5. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Thanks for the kisses. :)

6. Isbeth

Aug 28, 2001
    Hey Sape, ya only got one, lets not be greedy. :)

7. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    We take what we get whenever we can get it, and then we take some more. [face_devil]

8. Isbeth

Aug 28, 2001
    And shall I add just plain downright greedy to that above mentioned list? :confused: [face_laugh]

9. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I don't even know how someone would critize the moderating team in public? It so easy to critisize them behind ther backs ;)

Axl.

10. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    :_| Sorry about that, Rogue1 :(

I know, we all miss her :)

11. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Only those of us who were around in the UBB days during the Golden Age truly know how good the boards were at one point. With that said, I have to agree with fishi that EUC is probably the loosest forum on the entire board. I liken it to the Old West : you basically fend for yourself and learn to get along (or not) with everyone else, and quite often our resident Wyatt Earp (DarthAttorney) will step in to gelp.

Anyway, if there are major problems with the EUC than Ive yet to see them.

12. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    The EUC is also one of the smaller boards on this forum.

Not in post number, but in thread size. To be more accurate, it has a large number of large threads which are supposedly self governing.
    This model can't work in most other forums.

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Only those of us who were around in the UBB days during the Golden Age truly know how good the boards were at one point.

Technically, the Golden Age ended with the release of TPM. You missed it, and so did I. Although since I was a TPM-era newbie, you could say I helped cause the end of the Golden Age. [face_devil]

Seriously, DVader, your post underlines the trend that nearly everyone who's posted thinks the Pax Jedicouncila occurred when they first joined and something changed since then. They can't all be right, so I contend that it's not the board but rather the individual member who changes.

14. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Although since I was a TPM-era newbie, you could say I helped cause the end of the Golden Age.

I agree. I blame Beth for the fact that I have abosolutely no fun in this place. The fact that I've felt the need to post over three thousand times at a board this terrible is irrelevant.

I'd blame Jedi Greg Maddux as well, but he's kind of sensitive.

15. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I take full responsibility for causing the end of the Golden Age.

16. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I demand you bring back JS77 and all the BOOYAKA age men (& women).

¤Night

17. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Thanks, Isbeth. :cool:

farraday is correct in his assessment of EUC. For some time now, we've been experimenting with a measure of "self-governance" by regular users there. It's entirely based on the nature of the forum which is four parts EU and equal parts Senate Floor, Roleplaying Forum, YJCC and Comms. I think that this measure of "self-governance" has helped the forums, and the vast majority of threads take part either within the global structure of the forum, or within the thread.

I think it's worked out for the better. The forum-goers have more fun, they can get a higher level of satisfaction in helping shape things, and we all get to kick back a little bit.

The most positive responses from EUC seem to come when the moderators get actively involved "playing around" in the various social or club threads.

18. Bono

Bono Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2002
    Try the SC. Then you'll wish you'd never been born.

19. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'll blame him for you, Jim.

:D

20. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I'll agree the boards are not as fun when all but two moderators are left in your forum. :(

21. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    That seems to be the normal trend here at the JC.

22. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm still here. When times get tough, that's the precise moment when you need to dig in and stay.

23. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I registered here the first time in December 1998. I quickly forgot about this place until April of 1999. I re-registered because I forgot my other name, but I didn't stay very long after TPM was released. I came back right before AOTC came out and I've been here ever since. I don't know why the boards appeal to me more than they did in 98 and 99. I think the JC goes in cycles as well as its members. Sure there are things that have happened here that I don't like, but overall I still like this place.

24. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I love it, too. Some folks are just too willing to jump at the first sign of trouble or slow times. :)

25. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I think that's part of it and I would add that people just lose interest in this place. There are things I did as a kid that I don't do now. It's not because they're childish. It's because they don't interest me anymore. There's also a lot of bandwagon jumping around the release of new movies. The true test of this site will come in the years following Episode III. I'm sure it will be here, but I wonder how much it will change. I also wonder how many of us will still be here when the doors are finally closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.