main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto The Boards have died.. I mourn!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by sw-starwarsfreakness, Mar 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

The past couple of days the boards have been so dead, it's depressing!
    What happened to the old spirit of the boards. Never falling asleep, battles of the wits and the constant intro's posting. What happened to that?
    I heard that I had been almost like fuel to the fire when I came, the boards burst into action again.. what happened? :(

Yes.. pointless thread I know, yet I miss the exciment Toronto once had.

2. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Well it all happened when you went overseas, the majority of the poster were so saddened that you left, and decided to committ ritualistic suicide...

3. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

*imagines millions dressing up like lemmings and jumping off a cliff, happily, with happy background music playing*

4. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.................plop...
    takes off lemming costume. excuse me I said I wanted to be a starwars character not a small fur barry rodent with suicidal tendencies.

5. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

Lol, I used to have that game on my computer, when I once owned a mac.. *shudders*

6. Darth_Digital

Oct 29, 2001
    Yeah, I loved Lemmings. Had it for my PC and old Super Nintendo.

On the PC I'd enjoy speeding up the move rate and setting them on their destructive path...hearing their death screams as they plumeted to the ground and explode....

Turned the volume up...scared my mother....

;)

7. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

You did that aswell! I thought I was the only one with such a morbid mind.. yet again at the time I was 7 and I scared the dog..

8. Darth_Surly

Darth_Surly Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    Well, speaking for myself, I'm not going to be around much until Episode 3. I came here to talk about sci fi and geeky stuff, but there's very little of that around here.

There was a big discussion earlier about hijacking threads and that's definitely gotten better, but I'm just not enjoying myself here. The display of ignorance that was shown this week (not by everyone) concerning Iraq was just depressing. (Jake's not the only history major on this board. But also I did a double major with Poli Sci.) The poor spelling and grammar on this board (even for the internet) makes me fear for the local school systems and honestly makes it hard to understand what people are saying sometimes. Interesting posts are few and far between.

Anyway, I did have fun on the whole, and I'm looking forward to genuine conversations about Star Wars when Ep 3 gets up and running.

9. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Never did have the lemmings game. My morbid way of entertaining myself was to, with Adventure for the Atari 2600, allow the dragon to eat me while I was still holding on to the bat. Then you let go of the bat and it picks up the dragon with you inside it and you sail across all the screens. Okay - not as fun as the lemmings - but what do you expect from a system with only 8kb?

---

As to the state of the boards:

I firmly believe you get from the boards what you bring to them.

If there's something you want to talk about that isn't being discussed, start a thread. If you disagree with something posted, go ahead and post a rebuttal. If things are getting too serious, then fire up the karaoke machine and lets have a drink. If things are too silly, feel free to retreat to a quiet corner to discuss literature.

This is your forum. It can only be what you make it to be.

10. Darth_Digital

Oct 29, 2001
    Oh yeah, Kareoke...

Set it up Tragic!

I feel a Neil Sedaka song coming on...

11. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    (sings)
    Don't take your love away from me
    Don't you leave my heart in misery
    If you go then I'll be blue
    'Cause breaking up his hard to do
    (/sings)

12. Darth_Digital

Oct 29, 2001
    "His eyes open! At Tanagra! When the walls fell!"

13. CranieAmidala

CranieAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2001
    I agree with Tragic. You only get, what you put into it.

I think many people are sitting around, waiting for a big discussion, or fun thread to post to.
    But there is a thread for almost every subject imaginable, it seems.

Just gotta get people to post more often.
    How about for every 50 posts in the Toronto Forum, you get a free Krispy Kreame donut shipped to your house. :)

EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong.
    The reason why this forum is dead, is the blatent disreguard of manors and kindness.
    I wish you guys Farwell & Good Luck.

14. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Sorry peeps, like any good hunter I go where the prey is. Call me a Nomadic Poster :p and currently YJN is on FIRE!!!

Besides I have been making friends there fast, and filling my time with them. And am now venturing off to post in other boards as I meet these groups (aka Buffalo, Syracuse and now London too..eh twin?? ;) ).

I have been trying to get things cooking around here but I think that as time goes a lot of people lose interest. Posting here for almost three years (under my former guise of Jedi_Sheridan too) I can say that the boards seem to do this every so often...its like the tide, only slower...at one point you are flooded with posts. Other times you have to dig in the sand to find your posting nourishment. It shifts.

I just ride it out and wait for fresh blood like tessa to kick things into gear again.

15. The_Lady_THX

The_Lady_THX Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2003
    The boards are usually dead when no one has anything to say, there are no current events, or just everyone is to busy to stop by.

Another reason is cause people have a hard time reading a post that is badly misspelt, which in turn people don't reply to because they can't tell what they are supposed to say.

Princess Milo

16. Darth_Digital

Oct 29, 2001
    Thets troo! I hayte et wen thet hapins!

17. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    People are busy, we all have lives. There has been days when I do not come in to the boards. I feel the same way Tragic does, this our boards. When I first showed up here there wasnt many threads going and any one I got interested in got hyjacked by adam or others. Now dont get me wrong I have hyjacked my share of threads. Sometimes this kind of fun is needed. Its the garlic powder of the TLL. A little goes along way. But for a time there the cap fell off the bottle and no one would eat the chili. Things got silly here for awhile and it got straightened out. The spam and the drunkeness got pulled out. For awhile I was scared to even mention anything alcohol related in the boards. The spam thing could have gotten bad, it could have encompassed thread topics too but it didnt. This is the not the JC boards where non starwars threads get locked after one week or day in some cases. This is our boards and we can make it what we will as long as we behave, make our bed, vaccuum the rug and eat our brussel sprouts and walk the dog. As for spelling mistakes, some people are cant spell, others are in to much of a hurry. And other like duker duck just dont spell right on the boards. That should not be a point to pick out people and make them not feel wanted here. If you dont like a persons spelling, either A) help them out by talking to them. B) ignore there posts. C) read around the mistakes. Now as Jymm says this place is a tidal beach. The YJN have been more active here but had a hectic weekend. Pooba went to montreal for the weekend. Others have been getting jobs, working or school. It happens, Also the buzz from ep2 is dying down and lots of things have been discussed here and are dead topics. I think we are due for another topic tidal wave here. So lets dig in and get ready.

18. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Tessa, I notice you posted on Sunday evening... the weekend is usually a slow time for the boards... a lot of people are busy with social events or work on the weekends while they've more free time at home on the weekdays.

Surly, Even if you aren't very active on the boards I hope you'll still come out to the events.

19. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    YJN is on fire? Get a blanket! Hold still, Chris! You'll be ok!!!!

20. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

*backs away slowly* I've started a monster!

Alright.. I was at the time quite down that no one was posting. It seemed like it had been like that for awhile, since I left I suppose.

Nice to see the thread alive :p

21. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    I think it is our moral duty, as Long Liners, to make the 'The Boards have died' thread the most active and popular thread of all time. :)

I'll kick it off:
    Tragic Lad's necktie. Evil shackle of capitalism that brought an end to the Toronto forum or raging hipster fashion? Discuss...

22. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
  23. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

Tragic's necktie is great! That's how I noticed where the group was the first time I met up with you guys.

To me, the necktie is a sence of knowlage.. and balance in the force.

24. Sabrina001

Sabrina001 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Well, my excuse is that I have another job finally.

And yes, 10 days in I already miss full-time freelancing.

Sabrina

25. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Yes - but surely my tie had something to do with your abscence?

btw - how was ad astra? Any good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.