main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Boardwalk August 6th... surf, rides, free abuse...!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by DarkLordSid, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Elfland? Are you talking about Santa's Village? THEY BULLDOZED SANTA"S VILLAGE???? Arrggghhhhhh(Ok gonna go sulk now!)

2. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    No, Elfland was an area of woods above the UCSC campus, it was kind of a little Hobbiton/Lord of the Rings place.

I actually found a photo on the net of people protesting its soon to be demise.

[image=http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/extra/century/92/90sbelf1.gif]

3. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Yeah, that was Elfland. But Master--Kenobi, Santa's Village has been gone for many MANY years. Borland International was built on the site, at least in part.

*hugs Master--Kenobi*

There, there. Through the Force, many things you can see, old theme parks, long gone...

4. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I was a banana slug as well! BS in '95 (Cowell), graduate degree 2000, both in physics. Elfland was a little before my time, but I certainly heard about it and I used to hike around and explore some of the areas it used to cover, that hadn't been bulldozed. In fact, I remember one of my officemates as a grad had one of the old flyers organizing some of the protests to save Elfland posted by his desk. Sad thing is, they've done a heck of a lot more construction since then. A lot of areas look rather different.

BBQ/potluck - What sort of place would people like to find for this? I mean, are we talking an official park area on the beach, with picnic tables provided? Or a beach area that will let us BBQ, and we go table-less or provide our own tables? I think I could borrow a card-table to contribute if we go with the latter, and if we do a bonfire, I think I could bring some wood to contribute to the fire. Either way, I think the BBQ/potluck dinner sounds like an awesome idea.

5. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Where all do they allow bonfires? They used to in the Live Oak area, on the beach near Swan Lagoon and the Yacht Harbor/Crow's Nest. Is that where people are thinking? I know some areas allow the bonfires and some don't. Heck, that'd be right off where I used to live!

And cool! Lots of banana slugs around, even though I'm the oldest so far (sniffsniff). I remember when I was always the BABY of the groups I was in. Time is a cruel mistress, man. That's all I have to say.

- Kai

6. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Don't know about the bonfires this time of year, nor which beach permits it, nor if we could find PARKING near said beach in the height of the tourist season.

The potluck could run into the same problems as well, so I'm not sure how that would work.

Don't mean to rain on the parade here, it's a grand idea, but tagged on the end of the Boardwalk somewhat complicates things and might require someone to miss the fun to stake out a good spot as well.

How many are interested in the potluck, and who would be willing to help out?

Someone else would at least have to run the grill, the one I have at home is a big propane type (it's propane with propane accessories, ayuh.) so I suck at charcoal grills.

A good beach to have a BBQ on is over at Natural Bridges, it has grills and tables, but again, availability is going to be tough.

They did allow bonfires near swan lagoon, but again, parking is a problem there.

If it just weren't for all the dang tourists it'd be so much easier!!! LOL!

7. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Eh. The other possibility is to have fun at the Boardwalk, and then whoever wants can convene upon a hapless, low-to-mid-priced friendly restaurant, and have a Star Wars love-in over purchased food. ;)

- Kai, always up for food--it's the hobbit in me...

8. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Yep. We just discovered the Santa Cruz Diner which offers a wide variety of food, including vegan and vegetarian as well as burgers, wraps and seafood, a great decor, and great prices, somewhat comparable with Denny?s.

And there is a Denny?s in town, as well as a quieter one in Scotts Valley, on Highway 17.

Or there are other choices as well at nearby the Capitola Mall: Lyons, Chili's, Fresh Choice, Marie Calendars.

For the more adventurous there is Indian food, Sushi, Thai, Chinese in town just off the downtown area.

And for the really local flair there is the Crepe Place as well at the Pier for seafood fanatics.

Downtown Santa Cruz has Thai, Japanese, Mexican, Rosie McCann's pub food, 99 Bottles (bar/cafe), Togo's, Cold Stone Ice Cream, Mrs. Fields Cookies, Pizza My Heart and more. Downtown S.C. is a bit dicey as most places are small and some don't even have room for sit down dining.

And that's not even going into what lies over in Capitola-by-the-Sea (not sure the waffle place is still there, but Cold Stone is MUCH better than that place ever was).

9. Bith_Lord

May 5, 2005
    My wife and I probably wont be able to do dinner, but I wholeheartedly endorse Vasilis greek restaurant on Mission.

10. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Yup - thpse Hobbits sure do like to eat and party! :D Ok, so we just play it by ear! Or leave it to the will of the Force.

11. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Vasilis!!! [face_love] [face_love] I love their food. I wish they still had the live music and greek dancing on the weekends... it's a shame that had to go away.

Those are really, really good points about the difficulty of staking out a spot; I didn't think of that. My family has been going over to the beach down south a little more - Sunset, and the like - for the past few weeks, and getting a spot there has been dicy. I imagine that the spots up in the main SC area are even more challenging. As much as I love the potluck idea, I have to agree that there might be some practicality issues. *shrug* Maybe go with the not-expensive restaurant idea? Or maybe pick up sandwhiches or some sort of takeout, if people wanted to try a bonfire? At least we wouldn't be trying to grab a table, though parking would still be challenging for that... huh.

12. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    In which Kai metamorphoses into a hobbit...and talks food...

Vasilis, and don't forget the Falafel House, next door, run by Sammy--who is from Damascus and is VERY cool and also has a sexy shaved head. I heart Sammy. :) And the food is awesome. Not really great ambience, but yum! And the Crepe Place. Thumbs up. Great crepes AND great Tunisian Donuts (And it's sort of Star Wars-y by way of Tatooine, right? I mean, Tunisia?) Uh...The Royal Taj on River St. Yummy! The Saturn Cafe--for great vibe and their Chocolate Madness--ice cream of your choice, chocolate mousse, fudge, whipped cream, all on a brownie. OMG!!!! Slobber! And outer space-fu! Ok, I'll stop now before I list all my favorite places to eat...

Gee, can you tell part of my heart (or at least my stomach) still lives in Santa Cruz?

- Kai, seriously craving a Chocolate Madness, now

P.S. Spent most of the day constructing a new lightsaber since the emitter head on my last one was off-center. Can you IMAGINE what that would do to the blade????

13. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Royal Taj, we hit that place at least once, twice a month. K&J know it well.

Of course for a trip to the weird side there is Cio Bella in Ben Lomand. Great Italian food, really odd ambience, and Tad will dance on your table in a hockey mask singing "Feelings","Unchained Melodies", or "He Had it Coming" from Chicago if you get lucky.

And no, no one takes their clothes off, it's not that kind of place.

BTW, for those of you that didn't know, the Boardwalk was the beach park setting in the vampire film "The Lost Boys". And yes, the town lived up to the Morrison song, "When you're strange...", except for the high missing person count.

And the cave was a set... I think. :packs his holy water just in case:

14. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    The Boardwalk, the Wharf, Atlantis Fantasyworld (the comic book store, moved magically from the Pacific Garden Mall TO the wharf (and sadly, no longer extant in its original location, thanks to the '89 quake), the Chaminade (I think?), the old trestle bridge...all of those were Lost Boys locations. Was it the Chaminade? There's a place in which the front was the Master Vampire's house (where they were attacked by the dog), and the back was the weird grandpa's place...if I recall correctly. But it's been years, so I could have that way wrong.

Anyway...Cio Bella! Thank you! I've been there, and thought of it in my list, since it's sooooo weird, but I couldn't for the LIFE of me dredge up the name. Only went there a few times, but boy...it does leave an impression! :)

Ah, Santa Cruz. This play date can't come soon enough!!!!

Well, off to the fabric store for trim (ugh), and then I'm sewing it to my sandals for Kaylee's costume, and when done with that I can reward myself with finished my "do-over" of my lightsaber. Almost there!

- Kai

15. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I have to admit, I think I ate at the Falafal House next door to Vasili's only once. I mean, there was Vasili's right there...! Royal Taj - yummy! I've only eaten there a few times, but very good. There's another good... I think it's a Thai place? On Mission maybe? Okay, all I remember is stopping by one night to pick up takeout with a friend, but it was very good. Saturn Cafe - where did they move to? Or did they just close? It's weird to see things changed from when I was there. Marchello's at the corner of Bay and Mission is gone (I used to love their giant quesadillas). The Round Table on Mission has turned into a Pizza Hut... that one hit me hard, since my family and I always used to eat there when they'd come to visit. Oh, and for Chinese... I cannot say enough good things about King Chwan's on Ocean. Oh, so good! And on the subject of dessert, don't forget Marianna's Ice Cream. :D

Cio Bella - is this that place with the pole dancing? I've heard of an Italian restaurant up in the mountains with ... interesting dancing. I thought it was pole dancing, but maybe it was just table dancing.

16. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Um, I guess we got a little off topic. And all the talk of yummy SC food is giving me cravings. :p

So, it sounds like people are leaning towards decending on a low-to-mid price range restaurant after the Boardwalk?

We could always have another get-together sometime, with a beach-party/bonfire/bbq/potluck. :)

edit: Huh. It looks like they're still talking about a bonfire / potluck over on the SFFF board, so I guess it's still up in the air?

17. Bith_Lord

May 5, 2005
    Whoa..Nostalgia gripping body...must return to yesteryear

I went to that Round Table many times and the fact that it is now a Pizza Hut which I hate is... sad.

I always thought it was weird that the Falafel place was right next to Vasilis since they also sold Gyros too. Vasili himself is gone but ironically the sister of a girl who was in my first year dorm at UCSC bought it from him.

In regards to Lost Boys, the guy who owns Atlantis can be seen in the comic book shop scenes with the Frog brothers.

Ok, I now return to the present.

18. Siri-Tachi

Siri-Tachi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    You people are making me hungry and very home sick. I would visit SC often enough to call it home. I miss being there. Nothing beats a cold winter night, sitting in a hot tub with best friends/family, in the SC mountains at midnight while it was snowing..... ahhhhhhhh.

As for food, my mouth is watering for Royal Taj, Royal Taj, Royal Taj..... :cool:

I also think food at the boardwalk is a good idea so we could stay there as long as we want. Lost Boys eat your heart out..

19. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Atlantis owner: LOL! Yes, I love seeing him leaning in the corner, looking like a total hippie in the movie. He's such a nice guy.

Saturn Cafe: It has moved to the base of the Pacific Garden Mall, weirdly in the same building complex that houses the Kinkos, down below the Metro Center. I miss its old location in the funky blue house on Mission, but it's still a fun place to go.

Ciao Bella doesn't have pole-dancing, that I recall. It's not risque...just...weird.

20. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Vasili is gone??? When did that happen? I ate there just about two or three weeks ago, but I didn't think to look around back towards the kitchen.

21. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    I think an excursion to Royal Taj might be in order.

:)

But we can leave it up to impulse...

22. Bith_Lord

May 5, 2005
    Vasili, the man is gone, but I beleive the same cooks and waiting staff are there. Plus I was told he passed on the food secrets. We've been in there a few times since his leaving and couldnt tell a difference.

The eternal flame of Saganaki burns on!

23. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    <<Jedi Mind Wammy= Waving Hand at screen>>

You WILL eat at the Royal Taj...[face_talk_hand]

24. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    I miss India Jose, it had a weird style, but tasty as all get out. Still remember the "edible flower" Dim Sum, it was just awesome.

25. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    *blink*

I WIL eat at the Royal Taj...

;)

And yeah, I liked India Joze, too, Sid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.