main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Boko Haram massacre

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Souderwan likes this.
  2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Ah no argument here.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    If people would just accept a radical, barbaric, savage and primitive form of shari'a then all this violence would be unnecessary.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Other than the obvious distinguishing factor, the tactics of Nigeria's military in fighting Boko Haram are extremely brutal and a lot of innocent people are imprisoned, killed, or simply disappear. International pressure on Nigeria's government (e.g., the well-meaning "Bring Back Our Girls" campaign) only made that aspect worse. At least the Hollande government has the decency to support the killings of people in other countries.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    What everyone said.

Everyone should watch this Dispatches episode on Nigeria and its war against Boko Haram. The Nigerian military is brutal to civilians and the only real difference is that the Military doesn't use religious reasoning behind it.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I smashed up my Whiter Shade of Pale album in protest.

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I thought nobody was supposed to talk about conflicts in Africa until the fatalities hit seven figures.

8. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Africa seems to be the world's heatsink for everything awful that humans have ever done. We've got your genocide, authoritarian dictators, diseases, diseased animals, scams; diamond smuggling, oil production that's likely unsafe, hating gays, hating each other, etc. We (the rest of the world) have contributed to the mass suffering of Africans and it seemingly gets worse every year.

9. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Imperial powers condensing unrelated ethnic groups into geographic and political organizations, then leaving a sudden power vacuum during decolonization was one of the unkindest things Europeans ever did to Africa. I mean a civil war started in Congo basically the day after the first free election, right?

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Belgians and Americans actively helped that along.

11. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
  12. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    559 Boko Haram fighters deradicalized

This is an interesting event, as Nigeria attempts to rehabilitate Boko Haram terrorists. What other countries have such a program? Any thoughts about the viability of such an endeavor?

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Nice necropost.

14. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I mean, this is still an important issue in that part of the world; should we just not talk about it at all because that would be a “necropost?”

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No dude, I was being sincere.

16. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Ah. Sorry. I feel like Ken’s avatar today

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Deradicalization programs are actually quite common. I don't think they're particularly successful, though I don't know the numbers. Like prison rehabilitation, there are some successes and some failures, and some relapses. It seems similar to what we have discussed several times on this forum: how to change people's views. It seems to me like people can always just lie and say what they need to say to graduate without really believing it.

Coruscant likes this.
  18. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Well this is some good news from the area.The problem I fear though is terrorists using this as an advantage. Like they send someone through the program saying they've "changed" all while it's just to take suspicion off themselves so they can secretly recruit or plan an attack later. If these programs don't account or think of this, I fear it would be a bad thing not to consider.

If they truly are changed, then great. Would be a great way to dissuade others from joining.