main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Bones tell me....nothing...The Dream Interpretation Thread.

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Mistress, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    Anything herbal you can reccommend (perhaps a tea) that will make me stop remembering my dreams? My docs refuse to even entertain the notion. And while you're at it, is there a tea I can drink to forget the entire last year of my life? That would be swell.

2. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Sorry. Not so good with herbs.

Forgetting things probably isn't the answer.... The your reality doesn't mesh with everyone else's, and I think that's called psychosis.

3. Katsu_MaRoy

Katsu_MaRoy Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2006
    I've had two strange dreams recently.

The first is all but gone from my memory, but what sticks is the image of several birds on the ground. The looked and acted a lot like pigeons but colored in shades salmon/pinkish orange instead of the blue. I kept thinking "Cool, Ethan Jays" (I do not know anyone named Ethan, btw).

Oh, and they were dressed as jedi, complete with little belts. (No robes, though)

-----
    The second one was last night. I went to Dragoncon, and realized I didn't have any costumes. In fact, I forgot to pack my suitcases, so I didn't bring them with. (Sounds more like a nightmare, no?) I bummed but not panicked. Instead, I found two pieces of red posterboard, made them look like an envelope that I wore "sandwich board" style with red clothing, and told everyone I was a Scarlett Letter.

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Ran the question by my mom...

Herb-wise, sandalwood, bergamont, ylang ylang, black pepper, anise, juniper, blue tansy, and tangerine are herbs that my mom found that in a blend can help dispel negative energy in dreams. Rub on your temples, or diffuse into the air. It comes in a blend made by a company my mom works with regularly. She can hook you up with some if you were interested, it's kinda expensive, but she can get you a $10 discount on it.

You may really want to look into EMDR too. Boiled down it is essentially a therapeutic technique that helps you visualize an individual or situation that is causing you the problem and to have it not bother you anymore. It's conducted by a legit therapist, so it's not some new-agey technique. My mom has used it very successfully before and there's evidence it works with soldiers dealing with PTSD.

5. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    All I'm getting here is that you costume too much. :p

6. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    A couple of dreams I've had over the past few weeks...

I was trying to convince my sister to come to SDCC, telling her it was really exciting and fun. Somehow we were down in SD and I got her to go to the convention center with me, where I hoped to find out more information on ticket sales. It turned out that there was a decent sized group of people hanging around for the same purpose, and some were already in costume. I told her this was an indication of how much fun the con was, but then wasn't sure if it might make her think it was too crazy. Anyway, the disturbing part of the dream came after this. We left the convention center in my car. Eveything was ok at first, but then I started to find that the brakes weren't working properly. If I really floored the brake petal, the car would slow down, but not enough. Large downhill sections started coming up, making the problem worse. And to top it off, somehow I started not being able to see over the dashboard/front of the car. It was like my seat was down too low. I could see at an upwards angle, but not ahead on the road. I knew there had to be stoplights coming up (that I couldn't properly see), and as time went on I wasn't able to stop the car at all. I could only see the lights at an angle upwards as we were hitting them/going under them. The first one or two were luckily green, but then I blew through a red light and could hear horns behind me.

The second dream was a night or two after this. I don't remember all the details now, but some other unknown people were around and I/we were trying/suppose to solve some math equations. I remember I thought I knew how to do it, which made me happy because (in real life) I've forgotten most of my math skills and lost the ability to do that sort of thing. It was some sort of equation with three terms and two variables, I think? Somehow, the way to solve it was by "balancing" the terms along an arc, which somehow translated to balancing cars at specific points along some sort of physical arc. I wasn't able to handle the one at the end though - it kept unbalancing and was falling or going to fall. I got upset that I was having to handle it on my own. Suddenly it seemed like the previously unknown location was tied to my parents' backyard and they were there. I marched over and started screaming at them that they weren't paying attention to me, and threw my purse towards them in a throw-a-fit kind of way. But then somehow the aboveground wading pool we had when I was a kid was there, and my purse fell in the water. I had to go around picking my stuff out of the water, starting with my phone. I handed the phone to my dad to take inside and start drying with the hairdryer, while I continued fishing things out of the water. (This one is a little puzzling because my parents *do* pay attention to me, and any limits on the amount of time we spend together are on my end, not theirs.)

The third dream was last night, or rather, early this morning. It's not clear exactly where I was - it was like a combination of a conference (or convention?) tied together with school or work or something. There was a dealer's hall with vendors, and I remember going to something in rooms... but I'm not clear on whether it was a panel, a school class or something else. At the same time, I was somehow taking care of a couple of kids who were not mine. I'm not sure who all of them were, but the one I remember towards the end was the young daughter of my grad school thesis advisor. I was carrying her around while doing everything I was suppose to be doing (whatever that was), but trying to keep her happy at the same time. It seems I stopped to buy her some gum from a vendor, then went and did something else, and then upon going back through the hall I recognized my purse sitting on a vendor table by the cash register. It's a very distinctive purse, so I knew immediately it was mine. I went over to find out how it got there and found it laying open with anything of value gone - including my driver's license, credit card and atm/checkcard. At first I didn't r

7. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Taeriel, all I'm really getting is that there are some things that are beyond your control in each of these dreams that you feel *should* be in your control, or that you are somehow responsible for. In some cases you're right, like the first dream, with the car, you should be able to see properly, but yet you can't. In the second dream, it should be in your power to solve that equation, but when you get to the end and it isn't, you get upset, even losing control of your emotions (in the fit). In the third dream, you do a good job of being responsible for the child, but then lose your purse and things get stolen.

Have you taken on some extra responsibility that is eating at your "you time"? The weird car trip took you away from the con, watching the kid but losing your purse, having to do the equation by yourself....

(The part about your phone in the water made me giggle a bit, knowing that you've had that happen.)

8. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    what do you have to say to those of us who never remember our dreams? I find it weird if i can recall even part of 1 dream a month.

9. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    My brother is the same way... I think it has something to with lack of a soul ;) :p

10. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    I don't remember a lot of dreams, either. I think it has to do with your sleep patterns, but I don't really know.

11. Katsu_MaRoy

Katsu_MaRoy Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2006
    LOL, I could have told you that [face_laugh]

12. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    Or not enough.

13. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    I seemed to have a ton of bang for my buck last night. Maybe it was the wind.

1. My brother Adam and I were making a trip in my car to Pueblo. The light tells me it was summer, there were leaves on the trees, the prairie was strangely green...in many ways the landscape seemed cartoony-idyllic. Ever see those old cartoons of Mickey mouse bouncing and whistling while he steers the boat? It was like that but in color. We were bouncing along happy as clams, and then we drove up in front of my house and got out of the car. Outside the car the wind was blowing...howling. It was cold and gloomy. I looked down at the tires of the car and noticed they were gone. I walked around the car and they were all destroyed, hanging on in pieces. I turned to my brother and asked him how we had made it all the way to Pueblo with the tires like that and he said, "Its a wonder your car made it so many times in this condition. I cant believe you never noticed this."

2. I had some friends over for a party and started hearing screaming from the downstairs apartment. I ran down there and it was my stepdad screaming at my mom...terrible things. I called the police and the officer that showed up was a friend of mine. I turned to him and said, "I never knew you were a police officer." and he said, "Have been ever since I lost my job." I said, "I never knew you lost your job." So he takes my stepdad off. Later in the dream everyone is leaving the party. Someone left their parrot and I knew it was hungry so I asked the cop to take me to their house. When I got to their house, Bean was there...no idea how that happened. The cop dropped me off with the parrot and I went in to get Bean. The parrot started talking and told me "everyone thinks you are ugly." I turned to my friends and they said, "Yeah, didnt you know that?" I turned to Bean and she nodded her head. In tears I ran outside to call the cop. He was angry that they had all said I was ugly and told me he would call right back. He called my friends, and then called me back and said, "Yes, you really are ugly. We've decided thats why bad things happen to you." *alarm*

14. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    It absolutely could have been the wind. And you, dear M, are a classical psychotherapist's dream!!

Mmkay. The seasons/weather changing, the bad car -- things in Pueblo are different (read: worse) than in Denver. You've been living your life in two places, and now it's time to realize that you have to choose one (which you already have), instead of running yourself ragged between the two on no tires. That also means letting go of the other place to a great degree, and this is not an easy thing for most people to do.

Boy, doggies. Lots in here.

Your stepdad screaming at your mom, I dunno. I don't know what he's really like and what your relationship is with him, so I'm not sure what was going on there.

Not knowing that your friend was a cop and had lost whatever other job he had -- that's about being cut off from your friends, or not being able to keep up with those you care about. It's kind of like when you have a lot going on, and all you can do is keep up with yourself, and suddenly everything outside of your survival bubble has changed and you're all, "wait? what? when did that happen?" (I know this one well, personally.)

The parrot, I would assume, comes from Butt the Parrot. :D

All that stuff about you being ugly? I think that comes down to your mind trying to find a reason for things that happen to you. We all want reasons. But really, you're not ugly, and that's not a reason that bad things to happen. Your mind is also being overly paranoid (the *everyone* thinking you're ugly, even down to Bean) and is trying to work through that and again, find a "reason" for things. These are not valid reasons, but your sleeping brain doesn't know that; it grabs a handy fear to plug in.

Dreams are tricky buggers. I might have more insight when I'm feeling a bit better.

15. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    All I had last night were "naughty" dreams, Q. I'm cured? [face_mischief]

16. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Yeah, I think I'm developing a phone-water phobia. Do they have a name for that? :p

I consistently work long hours that eat away "me time", and what I have left I'm usually not energetic enough to get stuff done and end up vegging. It's nothing new, though, it's been that way for years. I did recently get handed a couple of students to work on the end of a collaborative project for the next 3 months, but that was after the first dream. Might have had something to do with the second one.

Ok, so I had another dream that I can interpret all on my own. In this dream, a friend and I went over to some other friends' house to pick them up to go to an event. I think it might have been an evening parade or something. Except when we got to their house, we all ended up staying and sleeping through the night instead of going to the event. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a dream of sleeping in place of doing something fun means I'm a bit tired and want more sleep.

17. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    I was urged to post again and it was suggested that this might be a good opportunity.

While sleeping off a migraine this morning, I had this brief little ditty:

I was standing at the opening to a round elevator shaft that seemed more well-like than elevator save for the gears and lift. It was the kind that you might find in a theatre that is really a rising platform that becomes flush with the stage. Anyway, it was down and I noticed that there was a sports jersey (non-specific) hanging over the edge. I reached to grab it and the gears from the descending elevator grabbed hold at the same time. I tugged on it for a short while before letting go because I felt like I was about to lose my balance. I watched the jersey become entangled in the gears and thought "Wow, that's really going to fu[dge] things up in there."

Then the pounding of the migraine (and my biker neighbors) woke me up.

18. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Huh, my insomnia came back last night with a vengeance and most of my dreams were short and jumbled...except one.

I was moving into an apartment. The apartment was strange though, to get to it you had to go through a central area of a house, and the people who lived in the house were always at the dinner table, which is right where the trapdoor to the floor I lived in was at. Worst part was that I knew these people, and they werent a family I was particulary fond of. Every time I carried a heavy load to the trapdoor, they would stop their dinner in midbite, forks raised to gluttonous mouths which hung open like caves while their eyes followed me and my moving crew from the entry hall to the trap door. It was the creepiest frakking thing.

Everytime I move I have some version of what I have dubbed "the moving dream"...You forget stuff behind, you discover things you thought you had lost, you find out you are moving in an hour and nothing is packed?

19. Jyn

Jyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2006
    I've been consciously letting myself forget my dreams lately... I'm normally quite good about remembering them, I've even done exercises to remember them better in the past, but been so busy and tired with the new baby I didn't care to.

I have several recurring themes in my dreams that come and go and depending on what's happening in my life. The no brakes on the car is a VERY common one for me, it seems like any dream I have with a car in it there are no brakes, sometimes it's so real I have waking paranoia about the brakes in my own car. I also frequently lose my teeth in my dreams, because I grind. So vividly that after spending a while trying to gather up all the pieces to take to the dentist when I wake up it takes me a bit to accept I still have them all and intact no less lol. I also dream that I can no longer throw a baseball...

Oh and anytime a predator of any kind is in a dream, if they bite me I still feel it when I wake up. Let's see what else... as a child I had a recurring nightmare that my brothers, cousin and I were running from a werewolf, Scooby Doo style going up and down in an open elevator, like a dumb waiter type setup. When we got out there was a party, we ran into it, I looked back for the werewolf, then looked for my brothers and cousin and they were gone, turned back around again and the werewolf was right behind me.

I frequently have dreams that take place in my Middle School that has since been torn down, or where dinosaurs have somehow returned and invaded my hometown.. or that it's being destroyed by a bunch of volcanoes.

I'm writing a short story based on one dream I had too, it was very SyFy Saturday night movie so I wanted to get it down. I'm calling it Bloodtree and the gist of the dream was that I was at a resort in South America somewhere and people started disappearing. These creatures that looked like giant bush-like versions of the things from the prison in the Riddick movie were taking them back to feed their mother, which was a tree in the middle of a lagoon. When I looked into the lagoon at the end there were bones all over the bottom. I had that one... almost 2 years ago I think and I've got the story written other than the end, I can't decide who I want to let live.

I could go on for a while so I should probably stop, last night's dreams were kinda naughty so can't really get into them anyways hehe.

20. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Jyn, the tooth dream is a normal recurring dream. Some believe it symbolizes death. Once a person looses their teeth ( in ancient times) their life was nearing its end. For the average soul that was in their thirties. I had a professor who theorized that the tooth dream is an evolutionary throw back that we are afflicted with in our thirties, to warn us of our impending demise.

21. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Moving causes a lot of anxiety; it's only natural that would show up in your dreams.

Curiously, for as many problems as I have with my teeth, I don't have the teeth dreams....:confused:

22. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I had a dream earlier in the week with some of the RMFF in it. In this dream, I was moving into a new apartment. I'm not entirely sure where it was, though there could be indications that it was Colorado. I don't know why I was moving; I realized even in the dream that it was odd for me to be moving back into an apartment after having been living in a house. But, on the bright side... somehow, Kim and Jeff were moving into the apartment just across the courtyard from me - I could see their front door from my front door. It was even less clear why they would be moving... they were just there. Buster was with them, too, and I remember their apartment had a rather tiny courtyard in the middle where he could go outside. My apartment must have been slightly bigger somehow. It either had a second bedroom or else the bedroom was larger than normal. I remember thinking this would be the first time that I would have room for a second twin bed; for guests I guess. But for some reason, I wasn't getting around to unpacking very much. Kim was being more productive than I was on that.

23. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Your dream is telling you to move back to Colorado, T. [face_whistling]

Funny you dreamt about the siths...I did too. In my dream, Kim was preggers, and we worked for the FBI. Very weird dream.

24. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Now I want to know what Kim dreamed about last night. ;)

T, seeing Kim and Jeff so close, and considering a guest room, I wonder if you want to be closer to people, to have more "friend time."

And Kim is always more productive than everyone else. :D

25. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    She told me she doesn't remember dreaming last night. [face_mischief]