main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Bones tell me....nothing...The Dream Interpretation Thread.

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Mistress, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Ok, here's a weird one from about a week ago.

I was out somewhere with my mom and sister. I don't think we were specifically house-hunting, but we came across a house for sale that was having an open house. It was out of the city, in the wilderness somewhere, so I decided I might as well have a look since we were there. The house kinda had two separate sections to it, sort of like two houses put close together.

One weird thing was that while this was an open house, the people were still fully living there. I was left walking through while all their stuff was there and they were doing their normal daily activities. The first part that I went in was in terrible shape. I can't remember the details, but have the impression that things were dirty, dark, decaying and had some sort of worms or slugs or something. I remember thinking that ug, it was definitely no way something I would consider buying. However, when I went into the second section, it was much nicer and I started to consider the possibilities of living in the nice part and having time to fix the bad parts. Then one of the teenage girls living there took me upstairs to something that I think was a bedroom-type area, or maybe a living room. The walls were mostly glass, giving an amazing view. Out the windows, I could see the ocean, and there was a beautiful snow covered out a ways in the water. At this point I remember thinking that I definitely had to get this place because this was so beautiful. There was also something that looked at first like a smaller separate island out in the water, but looking at it a little more revealed it was actually some sort of enormous whale. I remember thinking that it had to be beyond enormous, to be able to see it like that at this distance, and I started to get nervous. Then somehow a scaled-down (but still large for the room and people) version was there in the room and dangerous. I think this is about the point I woke up.

2. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I had a really strange dream just before I woke up this morning, and it heavily featured you guys.

We were all at a convention, probably CVI or something like that? I don't remember a lot about the convention. I think it might have been interspersed with parts of another dream? I remember going ice skating, seeing my old college roommate, and trying to do an axel. (My roommate and I got in touch last winter and she's taken up ice dancing, so I think that's why she was there. Maybe I was thinking about Orlando being hot?) Anyway, I'm not sure I remember what I actually did at the convention part of the convention. I remember us all sitting and hanging out in a hotel room together at the end of the convention, and Sith__Chick was already talking about costumes for the next one. I think she was suggesting that one of the Birr brothers should do some big armor costume thing. I started wondering why we were going though, questioning whether there was anything cool or special at the convention anyway and saying we could just hang out together at home.

We started on the trip home, which seemed to consist of a combination of walking and driving, though I don't remember the driving part. While walking, we went past a park where there was children playing and they were overseen by an adult. The adult was up on this weird seat thing on 4 stilts. His feet were in this stirrup setup, and ropes were trailing out from them. I thought it was a safety feature, securing him in case of falling from a height, but wondered how effective this was as a way to oversee the kids. With the height he could see all of them at once (like a lifeguard tower), but if something went wrong he couldn't get down to them very quickly. Anyway, as we were walking past this, we were also talking about the next convention. It was somewhere else? I remember thinking something about the location, wondering about the altitude and whether that would be an issue for my nephews. (Only in this case, I wondered whether the altitude would cause a difference in gravity? Yeah, that makes no sense now.)

The other weird part of this dream is that... get this... we would occasionally be attacked by orcs. I think this happened a few times earlier, at the convention or during the trip, but I don't remember those. Some of us were fighters and would have to defend the group and fight them off. We got "home" - which seemed to be my parents' house - and some people were inside while some of us were in the back yard. All of a sudden Mel and I independently looked up from what we were doing, somehow just knowing that orcs were coming to attack. We ran past the house, warning the people inside. I remember yelling in the door, 'Orcs! Orcs!'. I saw my graduate school professor in there. She hadn't been there before; I think she'd recently arrived, and I thought that maybe she was going to fight with us. My nephew Michael was there, and apparently we had been attacked and fought them off enough times that he was blase about the whole thing, saying something along the lines of 'who cares?' or something dismissive. We (some of the fighters?) ran around the side yard to the front. We hadn't yet unpacked from the convention trip, and all the weapons were still packed away somewhere in this pickup truck along with a bunch of other stuff. Suddenly it was my sister there instead of Mel, and she was going through the stuff to get our weapons. I was freaking out because while there was no sign of the orcs yet, I just knew that they were going to be there any second. I remember yelling at my sister to hurry, where were the weapons. In the meantime, I was putting on some sort of metal medallion on a ribbon that I wanted to wear while fighting for some reason. The weapons still weren't accessible when a truck containing the orcs came around the corner. I didn't see the truck after that, but I knew the orcs were now there, we still didn't have the weapons unpacked, and that's when I woke up.

3. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Crazy dream!

I get the feeling that a lot of this is about being prepared and protected. The lifeguardy thing, the weapons when the orcs attack, even the medallion -- and of course Kim already planning the next round of costumes, complete with armor! There are a lot of details in there that don't gel for me, though.

4. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    The preparation thug makes sense. I'm one of those people who likes to be prepared for things, whether work or personal. I have all the regular things that need to be prepped for at work, plus a few extra things coming up. On the other side, I've been thinking about sdcc con prep, making lists and stuff.

I wonder if the other aspects of the dream might just be a mishmash of a recent bunch of stuff. I'd been looking into CVI hotels, plus thinking about my upcoming trip to Denver. I'd been watching LotR at the theater the last 3 weeks, and a night or two before the dream I'd watched Falling Skies with friends. The ice skating thing I'm not sure. Could be a reflection of it being hot, or it could be subconscious guilt t not getting together with my friend since the holidays.

5. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Thanks to Gimby for unlocking this thread for me.

Ung, I slept last night but not well at all. You know how sometimes a nightmare is disturbing enough that it wakes you up? You wake up, realize it was a dream, and if you're lucky you go back to sleep with better results. Well, last night I went back to sleep... and the nightmare picked up again where it had left off! And I woke up again... went back to sleep again, and the same damn nightmare continued. Seriously, WTH? Three or four times through the night.

It started as a sort of fairytale/fantasy/middle ages type setting. I was part of an unidentified group of people, and we were fleeing from some kind of danger. There were a lot of people in the group at the start, some fleeing, some in charge and some were protectors. There was some ebb and flow in the fleeing. Sometimes the danger was close, sometimes it felt like we were ahead. Something happened in this part that I don't remember well. Then things shifted a little. It seemed like I was some sort of younger nobility maybe? The danger was some kind of monster chasing us. Also in the dream-world it was like I was just starting to become precog. I hadn't had the ability before, but I began to realize that I was remembering or knowing things before they happened. It seemed like we were safe, but I knew we weren't. I went to find my in-the-dream-aunt, knowing that she was in danger. It turned out that monster was coming and my aunt was staying behind to make sure the people in the group in danger from the monster got away - like when someone stays by a door guiding people out till everyone is out and safe. In this case the "door" was some sort of hole in the ground or opening to a passage. I tried to warn my aunt that she had to go, that I'd started knowing things before they happened and she had to go now, but then the monster came in the form of a tall figure in black robes, hood and darkness in the hood opening. I fell away into the hole opening, but my aunt didn't make it. People in the main group went back to fleeing from the monster. Maybe I woke up here? Things shifted a little again. My dream-world parents (nobility of minor royalty?), who weren't my parents in real life, were there and we were in a set of rooms. My dream-father apparently had some sort of powerful magic something that we thought might work against the monster. Only, with the monster fast coming, he wasn't activating it fast enough. My dream-mother said something along the lines that I wasn't going to have to do work for a living, snooty-like. I tried again to get my father to activate the magic weapon/protection faster, but even though he had it right there he wasn't starting it fast enough and they also weren't leaving. The monster was coming, right then. Then my real-life sister was there (only a lot younger, like a child or young teen) and I grabbed her telling her we had to get out of there. We fled right as the monster got there. I might have woken up here too? At this point the setting shifted... instead of the unidentified locations, we were at my real parents' house and fleeing around the perimeter outside the house hoping to stay away from the monster. There was some fleeing and hiding back and forth, and at one point I took us over to our next door neighbor's garage when I saw her there inside. I remember feeling terribly guilty for putting her in danger, knowing it could get her hurt or killed if we hid there, saying I was so sorry, but to please let us hide. More running with my sister ensued after this, and at some point I came up with the idea of running away from the immediate property area. We fled down the street, hoping to get far enough away to lose the monster before it saw us, but there wasn't enough time. We ended up in a yard down the block and I pulled my sister into the darkest shadows I could find, hoping it wouldn't be able to see or find us. I remember having the feeling of being in danger myself but afraid my sister was more of a target. Whereas before the monster had been a figure in black robes, now it wa

6. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Wow. I just went back to read my post from last summer. I'd forgotten about that dream, but now I can see similarities to this new one. What the heck?

7. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    T, how anxious are you, day-to-day? This screams anxiety and loss of control (or the fear thereof). The part where your parents seem to ignore you makes me think you feel you aren't taken seriously in some aspect of your life. That your sister seemed to be the target might be saying you look out too much for other people before taking care of yourself.

Oh, and the picking up where it left off thing? That's happened to me before, too. Usually it's either something Really Important or it's that I never got fully awake between "episodes."

[:D]

8. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Sheesh, I don't know. My first thought was to say that I'm not feeling anxious day to day because hey, there are times I've been way more anxious day to day than this. I mean this feels relaxed comparatively. But then I wondered, maybe my measure is off? Everything is relative. I did have an interesting experience in lab the other day. There's a new an air-controlled valve in lab that gives off a burst of air when activated. To me it sounds like a loud air gun burst and in the review I brought up the concern that it would be loud and startling for people working in the room. Everyone else thought I was nuts, but having it go off a few times was fraying my nerves a bit. So who knows. Maybe I'm anxious to some degree and don't realize it anymore. In a similar vein... yeah, there are different areas of my life where I feel like I'm not being taken seriously. But I hadn't thought it was an issue because I was used to it. *shrug*

Thanks for the interpretation! You brought up some ideas that I wasn't guessing on it.

On the bright side, I was dreaming about kittens the other night instead. :)

9. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    that's more like it. I hope for the same tonight.

10. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    You might be used to it, but that doesn't mean you're okay with it.

Kittens are much more fun to dream about. :)

11. -Gundark-

-Gundark- Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 1, 2010
    I had a dream last night that I ended up in the Death Star's trash compactor. Because of the metal walls, my comlink had no bars and I wasn't able to call the droids to turn the compactor off :confused:

12. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Oy. That does not sound like a happy dream, on any level. :(

13. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Hoom. Feeling too reliant on technology, maybe? Or your brain was mixing universes for no good reason.

14. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I keep dreaming about being back at my old workplace. I've had some version of this sometimes every week, sometimes every couple of weeks. Sometimes it's that I've snuck back in to look for stuff I might have left behind, and I'm nervous the whole time about someone seeing me when I'm not supposed to be there. Other times it's that they've either asked me to come back regular or to take care of a few tasks. Last night was the latter. I woke up feeling what I can only think of as homesick. It's weird... for all that it was stressful and I had been burnt out for years, I think I am homesick. I tend to become sentimentally attached, and I think that all of the time and effort I put in there really made it more of an emotional investment than I realized. I miss my lab, I miss my lab equipment and tools, I miss doing the research, and I miss some of my former coworkers.