main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Book Game!!!!! Come in, take a look and play along! - NEW: page 75, write 10 sentences

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Ceillean, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Yes, yes. It is I, the infamous Ceillean. :p
    Anyway, a few days ago I'm surfing the net and I find this funny game on livejournal. And I thought it would be great to try it here because it seems like a whole lot of fun.

1. Grab the nearest book. (or magazine or any other article)
    2. Open the book to page 75. (page will vary now and then)
    3. Find the fifth sentence. (sentence number will vary now and then)
    4. Post the text of the next ten sentences.
    5. Don't dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST.
    6. And please mind the TOS. 'Cuz if you're like me and have romance novels flying around everywhere -- yeah, depending on the scenes, those won't work. :p

There are no colors to be won and no one gets banned. Just for fun.

And this is Skiara approved!
    In the end let's see what kind of an interesting text/story we might scramble together. ;)
    So let's start!

Edits (Change of rules):
    1. page 32, find 3rd sentence, write next 5 sentence

2. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Mercy felt a tingle of uneasiness, but said lightly, "I wasn't aware you had some kind of deadline in mind."

Those hypnotic eyes focused on her, unreadable, and after an instant he smiled slightly. "I don't. I'm just naturally impatient. You should know that by now."

Fun! :D Do you want us to give the name/author of the book?

3. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    You know what, that would be a great idea. Just to sate the curiosity because that part up there seems very familiar. ;)

"Go ahead." Shoshana pushed the file toward Tatiana. "You're unlikely to have much success. The Hacker left no useful signature."
    "The virus is the signature."

~ "Caressed by Ice" by Nalini Singh

4. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Ringsum lagen noch mehr Knochen, Stücke einer Hand, Wirbel, Rippen Schädelbruchstücke: die Teile eines urtümlichen Skeletts.
    Und dies ist die Verbindung zu der dritten Geschichte - die Geschichte einer kleinen Frau, die in einer Gegegen lebte, die dem heutigen Äthiopien entspricht. Sie ging aufrecht, und ihre Hand war zwar kleiner als die heutige Hand eines Erwachsenen, dennoch war sie ihr verblüffen ähnlich. Die Dame war ziemlich kleinwüchsig, aber ihre männlichen Verwandted waren möglicherweise bis zu 140 cm groß. Für ihre Größe ware sie sehr kräftig.

Wer bin ich, und wenn ja wie viele? - Richard davi Precht

Um.
    Nearest book you said. [face_not_talking]
    I'm in Germany, remember.:p

EDIT:
    Okay, ignore this.:p

Sorry, Ceillean, no English books available...

5. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    "Haunting Rachel" by Kay Hooper :)

6. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Problem is, Mel -- I doubt too many will be able to read German. ;)
    Mind changing it please? :)

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    This is a cool game!

Relations between Han and the Noghri had never been quite as released as she might have liked, and she had no desire to add this incident onto anyone's grudge list. "he should have talked to me first, but it's all right. He probably just didn't want me worrying about New Republic politics for a while." Cakhmaim peered up at her. "If I may say so, Lady Vader, I must concur with Han clan Solo in this thought."

I wonder if anyone can guess the SW book I'm currently reading? :p

8. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    What a cool idea!

"Thirdly and finally, he said I wish to make an ANNOUNCEMENT. He spoke this last word so loudly and suddenly that everyone sat up who still could. "I regret to announce that--though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you--this is the END. I am going, I am leaving now--GOOD BYE!

He stepped down and vanished.

~From Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien (Chapter 1: A Long Expected Party)

I'm so happy to be reading LOTR again, I haven't read it in ages. :)

9. fancyrats

fancyrats Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2008
    Great thread!

It soon proved its efficacy, and redeemed the leech's pledge. The moans of the little patient subsided; its convulsive tossings gradually ceased; and in a few moments, as is the custom of young children after relief from pain, it sank into a profound and dewy slumber. The physician, as he had a fair right to be termed, next bestowed his attention on the mother. With calm and intent scrutiny, he felt her pulse, looking into her eyes,-- a gaze that made her heart shrink and shudder, because so familiar, and yet so strange and cold,-- and, finally, satisfied with his investigation, proceeded to mingle another draught.

-The Scarlet Letter

That's technically only four sentences, not five, but they're long.

10. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    If you'd like to incorporate some low-maintenance upgrades into your home, consider these projects recommended by the NAHB.
    When it's time to replace your home's front door, choose a low-maintenance material such as fiberglass or steel. Use durable urethane trim and decorative panels that are longer lasting than wood to dress up your home's facade. Use composite decking for porches, decks and walkways. Made from plastic and wood fibers, these products are cut and installed like wood, but they resist rot and insects and require no painting or staining.

my husbands September/October 2008 Handy Handyman Club of America Magazine.

I would have given anything for something else to have been closer.

11. Onnie

Onnie Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    -Flyboys by James Bradley

12. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Rodan's fingers grew busy once more. "One question after another," he said. "you sound like a political journalist. If you want to continue along this line, Skywalker, perhapsyou could trouble yourself to acquire press credentials."

"I'm not planning to write any articles, I'm merely trying to understand the situation."

13. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I love your idea as well, Connie. :D

Only the first book that I looked at didn't had 32 pages. Ok, it wasn't really a book, but I would have taken it, because it was similar to one. :p

So I choose another one and that one doesn't have any sentences inside, just definitions about horse riding. [face_laugh]

Here we go:

Ausbinden = Auf verschiedene Weisen kann das Pferd mit den Zügeln ausgebunden werden, um so mit dem Gebiß vertraut zu werden und zu lernen, ihm gegenüber nachzugeben. Dient außerdem dazu, Versteifungen entgegenzuwirken.

Translated:

side-rein = A side-rein can be used in different ways on a horse to familiarise it with the bit and to lern to ease. Also useful to work against acampsia.

Source: Western Reiter Lexikon (horse riding lexicon)

(I wonder how old that one is. :confused:)

14. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    The medievals would not have seen a contradiction in the earthy content of some tales and the idealistic
    affirmations of others. To them it would have seemed natural and proper to end a work with a religious
    utterance; they would not have felt that it "cancelled out" anything. There is probably a parallel in
    Chaucer's Retraction. It is almost certainly authentic and would have been conventional. That Chaucer
    in "revoking" his secular works expected them to be destroyed or unread is out of the question; but he
    probably did men that he wished, looking back, to be remembered and held accountable for those works which
    contained "moralitee and devocioun."

From the introduction to The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

15. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Sixty-four minutes had passed when an incredulous and slightly airsick Robert Langdon stepped down the gangplank onto the sun-drenched runway. A crisp breeze rustled the lapels of his tweed jacket. The open space felt wonderful. He squinted out at the lush green valley rising to snowcapped peaks all around them.

I'm dreaming, he told himself.

--- Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.

16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This is such a good idea :D

"I'm not sure where my room is."

Valek spoke as if talking to a slow-witted child. "Ask the first housekeeper or kitchen maid you find, they're always scurrying about this time of day. Tell her you're in the west servant wing, ground floor. She'll show you."

from Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. Is is one of my favorite books, but it's closest since I'm currently rereading :p

17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Ok, this time I changed the rule to "take the next English book...". That's a lot easier than trying to translate special things that aren't even listed in a dictionary. :p

"Kyp had worked tirelessly to atone for what he had done, but had chosen more difficult and visible campaigns as time went on, so more people could see that he was making amends. This invasion must seem to Kyp as a grand crusade through which he can win the acceptance of even his most harsh critics.
    Luke opened his eyes again, then took a step down toward the crowd of Jedi before him. "It is premature to speak of any attacking of the Yuuzhan Vong. Jacen is right - we cannot stand against them alone."

You already got from which book or series this is right? No? It's SW - NJO "Dark Tide I" :D

18. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Oh, look there! A Kyp scene. [face_love]

Nalla, evidently, had taken the raondom thought to heart. For the first time in weeks she moved strongly -- and, with a sharp kick, broke her water. Bella had lifted her robe and looked down at the wetness, wondering for a moment whether she'd lost control of her bladder. The light had dawned. Although she'd followed Doc Jane's advice and avoided reading the vampire version of What to Expect When You're Expecting, she had enough background to know that once your water breaks, the bus has left the station.

Father Mine (The Black Dagger Brotherhood) by J.R. Ward

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    How did I know that you'll catch the first word in my last post? :p :D

'Who's writing to me?'
    'No one. Itwas addressed to you by mistake,' saidUncle Vernon shortly. 'I have burned it.'
    'It was not a mistake,' said Harry angrily.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

That^ was the next book after Dark Tide I. ;)

20. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Connie, that book looks really good. Is it?

21. Rosa-Belle

Rosa-Belle Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2007
    Second that [face_love]

I don't know quite what he was, other than it was five-foot six-inches of wiry malevolence in a grubby T-shirt. Reliable rumour hat it that he was not born, but had burst full-formed from his mother's belly and then skittered off to the sewers. Among Vince's few simple and generally neglected tasks was the nightly delivery to us of the Wall Street report. Each night I would have to go and try to coax it from him.

Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson

22. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    It's actually a short story from a series called "The Black Dagger Brotherhood".
    And those books are absolutely awesome! I even got my husband to read them and he doesn't even like to read! :p
    Vampire Romance for the grown-up, so to speak. But not lacking action or humor.
    I really had tears in my eyes because I laughed so much while reading.

Can't help the fangirl heart. :p
    The non existing yummy Jedi Master just rocks my imaginary world. [face_laugh]

23. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002

Focused on the route Gunray and his lackeys had taken, Anakin raced through corridors, rounding corners without slowing down, sprinting for the launching bay at the far end of the final corridor. Confronted with an iris-hatch blast door, he thrust his glowing blade into the metal as if it were living flesh. Lips drawn back over his teeth, he tried to force the lightsaber to burn a fast circle in the door. He brought his will to bear on the task, but the lightsaber could accomplish only so much, even in the hands of a powerful Jedi.

Withdrawing the blade, he stepped back from the door and moved his hands through a force pass, willing the iris portal to open.

"Labyrinth of Evil" by James Luceno.

24. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    "Yes, I am. I feel I need a holiday, a very long holiday, as I have told you before. Probably a permanent holiday: I don't expect I shall ever return. In fact, I don't mean to, and I have made all arrangements. I am old, Gandalf."

- The Fellowship of the Ring

25. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003

"He wouldn't lie down when he was dead, you see, so they had to roll that big rock on him. And God smote the rock to kill the devil. And that's why it's now in three parts."
    Gasps of amazement. But all lies, of course.

- Pagan's Crusade, Catherine Jinks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.