main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Book of Paths: An Uncertain Path - Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by red rose knight, Sep 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    WHAT THE HECK :mad:

Qui Gon!!!!! :mad: :eek: :_| I cannot believe you. MAN! ARGH! You hit Obi Wan? Why would you do that! I agree- he is a big donkey butt.

2. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Uh oh, sounds like a bit of jealousy raising its head in the Jinn household. Apparantly there's a good reason for not being able to have more than one apprentice at the same time. Anakin can be more or less forgiven. He's nine years old and has gone through a lot of upheavals and his age makes him naturally self centered. Qui-Gon does not help Ani by indulging him when he should have been firm and made him wait his turn. He should also have been more sensitive to Obi's illness and insecurties. How long have they been together that he hasn't picked up on this? Were there problems before? Obi-Wan. (sigh) He's twentyfive and soon to be a knight, not fifteen and in the midst of teen angst. Sure he's ill and depressed, but to call a child pathetic to their face... tsk tsk tsk. Can't wait for tomorrow's post. :)

3. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    LOL!! Yeah, that's the way I pretty much saw Qui-Gon from TPM too, Kelly Kenobi. I actually wish more fanfictioners sometimes wrote Qui-Gon like I saw him in TPM, instead of making him Mr. Wonderful all the time. I found him to be very self-centered Don't get me wrong, he had some good points. He um...had an interest in the less fortunate, so long as they showed they could be of use to him.

I can't believe he smacked Obi-Wan! Again Obi-Wan shouldn't have started to say what he said--but I mean, hello Jedi--since when is corporal punishment and striking out in violence the Jedi way? Although I do think it's out of character for Obi-Wan, so that whole healing thing obviously took a whole lot out of him for him to be acting that way. He joked about Jar Jar in TPM being a "pathetic lifeform" and he gave his "the boy is dangerous speech" in TPM(with much provocation too, having just been unceremoniously dumped before the Council), but I don't think he'd normally actually call someone pathetic with them standing right there. In fact I don't think he'd much be given to name calling at all. The "pathetic lifeform" comment was a joke, he was smirking when he said it, not in the best of taste, but still a joke.

Actually I can't believe the number of people who whine "He called Anakin pathetic in TPM". It's like, no he didn't. He had no idea who Qui-Gon was bringing back when he made the comment(seeing as wonderful Qui-Gon didn't feel the need to inform him of this fact) and as he said "another" that stipulates there being a "first", and the "first" is actually who the comment was about. The worst thing he said about Anakin was he was dangerous--which the Council basically said with Anakin standing right there as well. So if the Council could do it, why would Obi-Wan think anything about doing the same thing? It was thoughtless of him, he handled it badly, but it wasn't just him making things up.

Qui-Gon on the other hand was given to calling people, in all seriousness, "brainless"("What are you brainless?") and telling them they lack intelligence("The ability to speak does not make you intelligent") and saying they were "cowards"("These federation types are cowards, the negotiations will be short"). Possibly true in all those cases but definitely more judgemental than his padawan showed himself to be, even though said padawan is the one who gets the bad rap for it.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with this excellent piece of fiction, just more ranting about Qui-Gon and TPM. :) But Obi-Wan is still ill and he hit him hard enough to knock him off his feet and then he just left him. Now that's pretty near heartless.

RRK, I'm actually happy to have sixy more chapters of this to look forward to. Very happy. :D

4. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    yeah, I'm glad for the long story too.
    I think Obi (or at least someone) should casually tell Qui that he's treating Ani like Xanatos before he turned. You know, spoiling him, making excuses, defending him after he's killed something in anger. (Um, maybe remind him how you turn to the Dark Side? Duh?) Then after that, take Yoda's favorite walking stick and... WHACK HIM over the head! A couple dozen times. Or more. Then after that he can apoligize to Obi and beg for his forgiveness. You know of course Obi's going to forgive him(maybe) because he's so good and noble and cute. [face_love] [face_mischief]
    And yeah, Ani's just a little kid and all but you'd think he would have some manners or something. He interrupted Obi twice. So it wasn't all Obi's fault that he yelled. The kids just acting spoiled.

Keep up the good work. :D :D :D
    ~Swede :cool:

5. Knight_Obi

Knight_Obi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Ahhh Ahh Ahhh Ahhh Ahh

Now does that show how much the post aggravated me??? Not that it was a bad post or anything. In fact, it was really really really good!!! I hope that you will have more of these flash back posts RRK.

I can't believe Qui hit OBi like that and left him there even after the whole speech about "I know you're still not feeling well" crap. Urgh...if he had cared, he would not have done that.

True, I agree with Abbi_Cee and Naw Ibo about how OBi really wouldn't call Ani pathetic to his face even if he felt that way though I doubt he would...but still, Qui should not have smacked Obi like that infront of ANi...especially when Obi is soon to become a Knight.

ANd yeah, true ANi is a little kid who is in the stage of can't sit still...but hey he should know better than to interrupt like that. I mean throughout TPM, he wasn't rude like that.

Urgh...overall, I think I'm just mad at Qui!!! RRk, your writing is excellent and you're really bringing the characters to life here and I'm really glad that there are much more to come...but I must say this...after readin your fic on Qui, I find it sooooo hard to sit down and continue writing my own fic with my perception of Qui.

not that I'm complaining or anything so POST POST POST

Awaiting my daily dose :)

Knight_Obi

6. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Knigh_Obi--You're right! Anakin wasn't that rude in TPM. You know what? He's doing it on purpose. Mmmhmmm...I don't mean maliciously, but in that selfish way kids can have sometimes when they want to be center of attention. It's a control thing. He knows he shouldn't keep interrupting and he's seeing how far he can push it. This is where the foot should be put down, he ought to have been sent to his room and that's that.

LOL!! Poor RRK, now we're assigning motives to her characters they probably were never meant to have. :)

That slap still does me in though. I mean he HIT him. A Jedi Master just physically struck another Jedi, not to mention who is still technically his padawan, simply for a word. Wrong as it may have been to use it. He hit him so hard he knocked him off his feet, knowing he was still quite weakened and then left him there. In front of Anakin no less. Qui-Gon just loves humiliating Obi-Wan in front of other people doesn't he?

7. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    The last bit was so sad! :eek: Poor Obi :_|

Anakin can be such a little...heh, maybe I shouldn't say it... RRK you write him brillantly! You make me feel sorry for him in one story, and despise him in another! Amazing...

I'm starting to see why Obi and Qui don't get on...

Another great post and I too await my daily fix :p

8. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    Ok.... *takes deep breath*

I will NOT hurt Qui or Ani.........Really...... :mad: :mad: :mad:

9. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2001
    :_| This is so SAD!!!! :_|

:mad: Qui HIT him?!?!?!? :eek: :mad:

Poor Obi - he needs help so bad! Someone help him!

Maybe he'll take a Padawan, and find some purpose for life again...

This is excellent, RRK!!! Looking forward to more! Did I hear something about sixty chapters? :eek: Wow!

:D

10. ApprenticeM

Apr 10, 2001
    60 chapters?!? [face_shocked] :D

I forgot to ask, but what was Qui thinking hitting Obi like that in front of Ani? Not a wise decision considing the fact the fact the kid just killed a bird cause it annoyed him.......And in view of the evidence we've seen about why they stopped talking to each other, I'd have to say only Obi seems to have a reason.

Anyway, looking forward to the daily fix.... :D

11. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    Yeah, with Ani's anger control(he seems to have none) and the fact that he already yelled at Obi, I'm seeing a possible furture where Ani attacks Obi, or something like that. Wonder if that would wake the thickheaded Master the kid has.
    Man, I wonder what Obi thinks of those two now. Hates them? Fears them? Doesn't care?
    Ahhh, I need more! Please?

12. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    naw ibo what are you doing in my head :eek: you seem to voice exactly what I feel!!!!

BTW... I just figured out what your name.... CUUUUUTE :D :D :D

I am starting to feel the affects of withdrawl RRK, please give me my daily dose!!!

13. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Whoa. [face_shocked]

Boy, that one got everyone up in arms. Amazing. That's nothing...

naw ibo--LOL!! Poor RRK, now we're assigning motives to her characters they probably were never meant to have.

Often reading everyone's analysis of characters I either get a good laugh because I know how different things are going to happen or I am surprised just how close some of you hit the mark.

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback.

Well I hope everyone enjoys this next post. It will be up in a few minutes. :D

14. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    The Book of Pauses

Qui-Gon stormed through the Temple?s central corridor. His agitation was evident in the quick clip of his pace and the constant clutching of his fists. He paid little attention to the other figures moving quietly about the long hall.

Their expressions meant nothing to him.

He didn?t care if they noticed the rage fluttering just beneath his usually placid surface.

Breathing deeply he tried to calm himself. Naturally it didn?t work. He cast out on the Force searching the immense temple for a signature that had once been familiar.

One that he could no longer understand.

The meditating gardens.

Qui-Gon almost laughed at that. Where else would Obi-Wan be? He didn?t need the Force to tell him that.

Still, he sought out his former apprentice?s signature just to be certain.

With every step, Qui-Gon worked to squash the rage that had flourished in him.

He was failing miserably.

All he could think of was the questioning, wounded look Anakin had when told him of the confrontation with Obi-Wan.

Was it not enough that Obi-Wan had betrayed him before the Council?

Even after all this time, his former apprentice still felt it necessary to attack Anakin.

Again, Qui-Gon drew both his hands into tight fists.

This was going to end and this would end now.

Turning a corner he slammed into Mace Windu.

Both men stared at each other.

"What?s the hurry?" Mace asked, sensing the raging emotions the Jedi master was doing little to hide.

"Excuse me," Qui-Gon half growled as he tried to step around the council member.

Mace put out his arm blocking his friend. "I don?t think I like this."

"You probably won?t," the graying Jedi master said continuing on.

"Stop," Mace ordered, grabbing Qui-Gon?s arm.

"Let me go."

Both men met in a long gaze.

"Let me give you a piece of advice," Mace said calmly. "Go meditate." He loosened his grip on Qui-Gon?s arm. "You two haven?t been in the temple for two days and you?re already stirring up trouble."

"I?ve warned him about messing with Anakin!"

Mace eyed his friend. "I was under impression that Anakin sought the confrontation."

"He thought he was helping. He thinks we should reconcile. But Anakin didn?t deserve to be attacked like he was."

There was a moment of silence as Mace studied Qui-Gon. "Half a dozen reports came in of Anakin screaming in the corridors. He was saying something to the effect that Obi-Wan had betrayed you."

Qui-Gon drew in a deep breath as he cast his gaze away from Mace. "He should not have been voicing such a private opinion in such a public manner."

"Oh, I see," Mace said, contemplatively rubbing his chin. "You share this opinion?"

"This is not a concern for the Council," Qui-Gon said stiffly.

"It is if you?re out to pick a fight. Qui, I appreciate that there are some hard feelings between you and Obi-Wan. But I will not stand by and allow this temple to become a battle ground in your personal war."

"Mace?"

"No. You will go and meditate. If I sense so much as a ripple I?ll personally toss you off the nearest balcony. Are we clear?"

Qui-Gon stood there silently.

"Are we clear?"

"Yes."

15. Cheryl_Kenobi

Cheryl_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2001
    LOL GO MACE!

16. Knight_Obi

Jul 24, 2001
    Yeah...You tell him Mace!!!

Qui needs to get his ass kicked!!!

Uh..wait now I'm a little confused.

There was a moment of silence as Mace studied Qui-Gon. "Half a dozen reports came in of Anakin screaming in the corridors. He was saying something to the effect that Obi-Wan had betrayed you."

Qui-Gon drew in a deep breath as he cast his gaze away from Mace. "He should not have been voicing such a private opinion in such a public manner."

So...what Qui said about not voicing a private opinion in such a public matter...is he referring to OBi or Ani?

Again, Though obi could have been much gentler with the confrontation with Ani though if I was Obi I'd smack Ani in the head right away...but that still should not enrage Qui like that. Qui may be a maverick but he is still a Jedi and he should know how to control his temper much better!! Even if he may feel angry, he should not act on impulse like that!!!

Knight_Obi

17. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    WOW! :eek: :D

Mace is right. It wasn't Obi Wan who was causing the scene- it was Anakin. IMHO, I think Anakin is acting like a spioled child. Qui Gon, you need to get your act together, you too Obi Wan. Anakin, I don't know what to say to you. [face_plain]

18. ApprenticeM

Apr 10, 2001
    You tell him Mace!!

Why did Qui say Obi betrayed him in front of the Council? Wasn't HE the one who betrayed Obi-Wan in front of the Council? :mad: :mad:

And why did Qui-gon just believe Ani's story? Doesn't he see he's doing the same thing with him that he did with Xan? :confused:

Interesting that Ani never brought up his little outbrust................Seems to me like he's really trying to keep them apart instead of helping........

RRK, I need answers!!!! But since the are about 59 chapters left, I guess it'll be a while huh? :D

19. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    RRK, great post(again!). Do we really have to wait until tomorrow for another? :D

Knight_Obi, I believe Qui-Gon is referring to Anakin when he says the thing about not voicing a private opinion publicly, etc. He at least realizes that much once Mace explains the reports, although he still makes excuses for his behavior.

ApprenticeM, I have a feeling this betrayal before the Council is something we are still to learn about. However I thought what Mace said was interesting "You share this opinion?", so it may be sort of an "iffy" betrayal. A difference of opinion looked upon as a betrayal possibly.

No wonder Anakin is having trouble controlling his temper. I hadn't even thought of it from that point of view until you guys mentioned it, but if Qui-Gon is knocking Obi-Wan off his feet, no wonder Anakin is having trouble.

Right now Qui-Gon has trained one Jedi who went to the Dark Side, one who is an emotional basketcase and on the verge of physical collapse because of it and another who is heading the way of the first. He's done a bang up job. ;)

As for Obi-Wan's padawan possibilities, Bali is the obvious choice, but that other kid might actually be a more interesting choice. Imagine if Obi-Wan could train that kid to successful knighthood? There are even sort of subconscious psychological reasons for it. He has all those unresolved feelings about Bruck(see JA: SE, which never happened in this universe to resolve them). He remembers his own pain and what it did to him not being chosen by a master. If he could manage to train that kid into a great Jedi, he'd really be able to work through those things.(Of course that's the only reason I'd want him to be master to him, so he could be eventually successful at it :) ).

Not to mention it would be a nice parallel to Qui-Gon's eventual failure with Anakin as both boys are around the same age--call me horrible but I always thought Qui-Gon would actually have been at least as bad for Anakin as Obi-Wan, with him turning in either case. Obi-Wan was just inexperienced(but in this story he's now had 4 years experience as a knight), whereas Qui-Gon was actually self-centered and short-sighted.

PS: Kelly Kenobi, I feel the same way reading alot of your posts. It's like "O my god, that's just what I was thinking!" :D

20. Knight_Obi

Jul 24, 2001
    LOL Naw Ibo. I didn't even realize it but what you said is true. Qui had trained one Padawan who turned to the Dark Side (Xan) and another who's always on an emotional rollercoaster (Obi) and of course the soon to be Vader if there is a Vader in this AU version.

And yeah, I agree with Apprentice M. Unless there was some major thing that happened at the Jedi Council, Ani got no right to say that Obi betrayed Qui.

I know that there must have been so many things happening since the battle on Naboo with Maul, but really right now...Qui has no excuse whatsoever to act the way he is. True Obi could tone down a bit at times, but it's just so hard for me to believe that Qui could be so heartless to Obi, his former padawan who had almost risked his own life to save Qui. Perhaps Qui had said thanks or something in the past when Obi had woke up from the coma, but so far I see nothing that would indicate Qui feel any bit grateful! And that makes me so very mad!!!

Hmm...to tell you the truth, as much as I enjoy getting some development with Obi and Bali and whoever Obi may choose as a Padawan, I do prefer Obi not acquiring a Padawan. Don't know why I feel this way...just me I guess.

Knight_Obi

21. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Me, too, Knight_Obi. But if the story goes as it seems like it might be, I think Obi-Wan will be getting a padawan. I just pray he's allowed to succeed with this one. There would have to be ups and downs of course, but ultimately I want to see him succeed.

Because the main thing which caused his failure with Anakin was inexperience due to his having just been knighted and never having been on his own. In this story he does have experience on his own, even if he is an emotional mess right now. And even more the padawan he'd be taking would have been trained by Master Yoda first because he is all padawans first teacher, except Anakin's.

You know it could be guilt that is partially to cause for Qui-Gon's behavior. Doesn't excuse it BUT Obi-Wan nearly died saving him. This padawan he kept at a distance, who got pushed to the background whenever someone "better" came along, who he took very much for granted, even after his own "last" words had been about another nearly died in trying to save him. How unworthy might that make him feel? So at first he threw himself into getting Anakin settled, so he wouldn't have to face it. And then later, he looked for excuses to make Obi-Wan unworthy, in this way to assuage his guilt. What's it called--displacement or something like that? Qui-Gon is unable to reconcile within himself the feelings of guilt so he replaces them with feelings of anger and Obi-Wan's unworthiness.

Come to think of it, if what someone else said is true, that could be part of the basis for Anakin's trying to make Obi-Wan "look bad" by not giving the full story of their confrontation and his rude interruptions. Obi-Wan nearly died saving Qui-Gon, that's the sort of thing that in the mind of a boy who is in a totally new and uncertain environment, might seem impossible to live up to. You know what I'm getting at? By keeping Obi-Wan discredited in Qui-Gon's eyes, he doesn't need to feel the competition.

22. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Wow, everytime I think I may have figured something out you drop a new piece of the puzzle that changes the picture. So Qui thinks Obi betrayed him and it happened in front of the council. Am I right in thinking Obi-Wan is also feeling a bit betrayed? At first I thought it might have something to do with the trials, but when Qui-Gon confronted him about it Qui seemed hurt but not betrayed, so now I am wondering if it had something to do with Anakin and those dreams (visions?). Can't wait for you to reveal more of the past. :)

It's funny, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one who didn't think Qui-Gon was particularly cold, unfeeling or selfish in the movie? Granted his last words were about Ani, but his last action was for Obi. And while insecure Obi makes a nice plot device I saw no evidence of it, rather the opposite. He was secure enough to joke and poke a bit of fun at his master and to argue with him about Ani and side with the council. Mind you I would have loved it if George had gone more in depth with their relationship than he did, but I daresay he wasn't thinking of us Iditarod lovers when he wrote the story. ;)

23. ApprenticeM

Apr 10, 2001
    I just realized our reply's are almost as long as the actually posts! :D Anyway.......Uppers!!! :D

24. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2001
    [face_laugh] @ M!!!!

Cool post, RRK! You tell him, Mace! :p

Looking forward to more! :D

25. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Lots of interesting points and ideas...
    (Love all the long posts.) [face_love]

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback.

I'm not going to say much, I'll let this next post stand for itself.

Up in a few minutes. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.