main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Book of Paths: The Chosen Path (AU/Tagged) Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by red rose knight, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cristalvandepol

cristalvandepol Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 30, 2002
    Wow, that was an excellent. It waas good to see Obi-Wan go peacefully and Bali and Qui-Gon's reactions. I can't think of everything else to say, I'm speechless. :)

2. Calantha

Calantha Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2002
    This was a wonderful and beautifully written post - even if it did make me cry. I usually will get a little misty eyes at a sad ending, but few stories make me really cry. This one did, that's why I couldn't post yesterday. I had to calm myself down.

"It came with the sense that the Force had gained what he had lost." That was...can't think of the right words...we'll go with perfect.

Going back a few days, a lot of people commented on Anakin 'redeeming' himself. I was thinking, did he really? I mean, it's possible that he had a change in heart and suddenly rejoined the light side, but it seems far more likely to me that he killed Palpatine in fury, because Paplpatine had betrayed him.

I'm glad Obi-Wan was able to live the rest of his life happily and in peace. Believe it or not, I think this is one of the happier endings I have read for him.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us, Red. I don't know what I'll do when it's over - most likely read the whole thing over.

~Calantha

3. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    obi ew? You did it anyway! Beautifully written but how can you kill Obi!? ?? Just like that.

Aquas Knight? I was just waitng for this to happen. But you did this somehow very beautiful and heart-breaking. ?? Thanks!

TheFallen? You just quite literally ripped my rug out from under me. You just created an end of an era! ?? :) I can imagine the scene. But how do you fall while sitting in a chair?

Nicky? Is Bali now ever going to know that Obi in fact was his father, not only in spirit and emotion but also in blood? ?? The only thing about Bali knowing that Obi-Wan was his father, is that he would eventually have to know who his mother is. Maybe that is something Obi-Wan wanted to keep him from, feeling anonymity is better than the truth. ? BTW, are you going to do the AU from The Book of Paths where Bali died at the end part 2? And what about an AU in which Obi died but Bali lived back then? ?? Yeah, eventually I want to explore the AU/AU with Bali dying in TLTP. I am also going to write a what happened to Bali in the real GFFA tale. The next story, whatever it is called, about Obi-Wan, Garen and Siri is going to introduce a bunch of characters that will turn up in the Bali story later.

Sugar Bear? His legacy lives on in the luminous spirit of Knight Tiro. ?? Qui-Gon spent so much time looking for a legacy and Obi-Wan ran into one in an empty corridor.

Flashbacca? *proceeds to cry like a baby Wookiee* ?? Oh, no! Mussed up Wookiee hair.

Rogue? And that ending was just phenomenal. The end of a dream. The end of a story. ?? Well, almost over, one little post to tie up the last of the ends.

PaddyJuan? That was absolutely perfect. I loved the ending. very fitting. ?? Thanks!

Lurkalidth? Wow. Just...wow. That was so poignantly (yet subtly) written. ?? Thanks!

Jovieve? Very very sweet that Obi-Wan died with good dreams, very sad he died relatively young. ?? :(

Psycho Freak? You did it. You killed him! ?? I didn?t do it. [face_shocked]

Padawan Travina? It brought me to tears.....great job...and I know this means we have like one more post to go which i know is going to bring me to tears once again... ?? This last post is much lighter than yesterday?s. So much easier to write too.

Sheila? ** runs off thread once again sobbing uncontrollably ** ?? Sorry!

PadawanKitara? That was so beautifully written- I honestly don;t know what else to say other than it has been an honor to read this from begining to end. ?? Thank you for reading. I know people say that you should write for the love of it, and I do, but I have also written for many years without any feedback or very little. Posting and everyone?s replies has told me more about my writing and helped me over the last two years in ways I never had before.

Just Jill? Very well done. ?? Thanks!

fanofewans? Knew it was going to happen but still was not prepared ?? You never are. :(

naw ibo? That was simply the most beautiful post I've ever read. ?? Thank you very much.

Phoenix Reborn? It was a beautiful post...and Obi's at peace...prehaps thats all that truely matters... ?? Yes. He had done his duty and beyond.

ObiLegolas? Although I was kind of hoping that this story would never end! [face_hopeful] ?? All good things must come to an end.

ca tron? *swims to floaty while crying* ??[/colo

4. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001

The Book of Happy Endings

Striding into the darkened lounge, the Jedi master easily navigated the round chairs dotting the room until he arrived at the large window that stared out over the meditation garden. Cool light shined into the chamber from the darkened sky above illuminating his handsome features.

Bright green eyes raised to the ceiling of night, looking passed the running lights of spacecraft and focusing on the brightest star in the galaxy, the Kyros. It was twenty months, two weeks and three days since the last Festival of Light. The twin stars of the binary system aligned creating a light that not even the brightest day could diminish.

He had performed the morning ritual of the Festival of Light, meditation with his padawan. He had thought about all that had passed in the last twenty months and the years before. The afternoon had been spent wandering quietly about the temple, visiting with those who had returned for the holiday.

It was now evening and the Kyros was bright in the sky. The ancient Bendu Temple was beginning to show signs of the evening celebrations to come. Music washed out into the corridors. He would join the festivities, eventually. For now, he wanted to be alone.

Callused fingers brushed over his neatly trimmed beard, then through his wavy dark hair. Finally, the Jedi folded his arms across his chest in the same worn fashion as his master once had.

His master.

From the window he stood at, Master Bali Tiro stared down at the garden below where in meditation, his master?s flame had flickered and gone out fourteen years earlier. Yet, in the years since, he had spent time under the old yarel seeking solace through the Force.

Bali had often thought of his master, more so in the years since taking on an apprentice of his own. Many nights he had found himself reading over his master?s journal in hopes of finding the advice the Jedi was no longer able to give in person.

The transition from padawan to knight had been easy. His master had been there to offer advice when asked, but never too much to allow him to make his own decisions. There was great doubt stirred up in him after Obi-Wan?s death. It was only when he went through his master?s meager belongings did he realize his master was not truly gone. A small picture cube, a few trinkets from various markets throughout the galaxy, a lightsaber that he now wore on his own hip and a data pad. The very one his master had kept his journal on.

Reaching into his tunic, he pulled the small data pad from the folds of tan material. Studying the smooth, but dormant surface, he brushed a finger over it activating the interface.

When he was a padawan, sneaking a peek at the Jedi?s journal had always felt like an invasion, but now it was different. He often felt pride and joy at the memories inspired by the daily entries. A little embarrassment too at some of his master?s all to correct assessments of him, notes about his strengths and weaknesses, constant disobedience.

More than that, Bali found out that his brave, certain master who knew everything was unsure about training a padawan. It seemed in so many entries that he confessed to not knowing what he was doing; fears that he was messing up and uncertainty on how to handle those things young padawans must all face in their journey toward knighthood.

It helped to know that his teaching anxieties were no different than those Obi-Wan had felt in his training.

A soft chirp sounded from behind him and drew his attention. Turning, Bali smiled at the tiny green PodBot that hovered into the center of the room. ?I suppose you have been sent to fetch me??

The dented shape zipped up to the master and beeped wildly. As it circled the quiet Jedi, Warbler?s black and gold antenna waving about anxiously.

?Yes, yes, I know, I should not have wandered off,? the Jedi calmly answered as he motioned the little droid to lead the way back into the corridor. After another string of blips and chirps from Warbler, Bali added, ?Yes, I know, she is

5. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Awwww, I so love this story!

6. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    What a beautiful ending Red.

Obi-Wan does indeed live on in his Padawan! The force must be glowing just a little bit brighter with the pride Obi-Wan has to be feeling for his much loved Padawan and in fact all the Jedi. Loved the idea of Leia becoming Bali Padawan, seems fitting.

I loved Obi-Wan's reaction to the artist craving his statue, very much in character.

I am sad beyond words to see this story end and I look forward to your next masterpeice. Much love seemed to have gone in to the creation of this trilogy and it really shows!!!!!!!

7. padawanduck

padawanduck Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2002
    beautiful ending red! beautiful. bali is still that little disobedient padawan we met.

i'm going to miss this story.
    but i'll be back when you post a new story.
    mwhahaha [face_devil]

8. Nicky

Nicky Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2002
    Lovely ending to a wonderful saga! :) Thanks for sharing it with us! :) And you yet again managed to surprise me with making Leia Bali's apprentice - I'd have thought Luke was the more likely candidate... but I should have known better! *g*

One question: What is GFFA? Another Bali-story? [face_eager]

I'm very much looking forward to reading more from you! :)

Nicky

9. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Nicky--One question: What is GFFA? Another Bali-story? [face_eager]

GFFA is Galaxy Far Far Away. I am planning on writing a story of what happened to Bali in the real Star Wars universe where he never met Obi-Wan.

10. ObiLegolas

ObiLegolas Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    hee hee Glad to see that Bali never lost his prank-pulling ability! :D [face_laugh]

I could totally picture Obi wanting to toss that artist out the window! hee hee ;)

Great finish to a wonderfully awesome story, Red! Great job!

11. Psycho-Freak

Psycho-Freak Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    *clap, clap* Bravo! Beautiful ending!

It was a great surprise to see Leia as Bali's apprentice.

As well as the many threats to toss the artist out the nearest window if he did not stop following him. [face_laugh] That's our Obi! :)

I can't believe this is really over. I'll be floating around the boards waiting for your next masterpiece.

12. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    **contemplates jumping off cliff, then remembers the AU mentioned where Bali doesn't survive the Sith attack, and takes a step back. Begins tapping foot impatiently, glancing at her wristwatch....**

That was spectacular, red. Truly one of the greatest stories out there. ;)

I'd be interested in seeing an Obi/Qui fic from you, having already immensely enjoyed 'Unraveled', with Obi/Ani.

But be quick about getting a new fic jumpstarted! I'm going crazy already!

:_|

13. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I still think it is very sad that Bali never knew that Obi-Wan was his father. And I'm going to miss this story so much! This (the first Paths) was the first story I read on the boards and the reason I joined in the first place. RRK, dearest - you're breaking my heart, here. ;)

This whole universe will always hold a special place in my heart and I'll never forget it. :)

THEFALLEN

14. Aquas_Knight

Aquas_Knight Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Wonderful ending. Like always after reading a masterpiece like this
    story/book. It`s get this empty felling because it`s like missing a really good friend.

Thank you so very much for sharing.
    Now waiting eager for your next story.

15. ca_tron

ca_tron Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    Awwwwwwww. Loved it red.
    *still looking for a new thread to cling to* :D

16. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    And life goes on...

The journey through the stories have been wonderful RED!!!

And, while I expect to be entering withdrawl starting this week, I just wanted to say it was wonderful and Thank You for sharing this wonderful story with us!

17. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    :_|

I'm a mess, I can't even comment coherently on this wonderfully bittersweet story. Full of fragrant flowers and thorns. Bali never realizing his parentage - not that it mattered - Qui-Gon passing away into the Force with nary a ripple, the one he cast aside, Obi-Wan, his true legacy, more than living up to it. [shakes head] Qui-Gon could have been part of that...but then maybe Bali never would have been apprenticed to a man who so desperately needed him and who he needed and didn't know it.

:_| Sorry, I'm such a mess...my elderly cat is slowly dying and this story's ending's timing is not making my tear ducts any drier.

18. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    I'm sorry about your cat. :( As they age, they become more and more perfect. It's tough saying goodbye to someone you've loved (and who's loved you) for close to 20 years.

Good luck.

19. Nicky

Nicky Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2002
    Red - GFFA is Galaxy Far Far Away. I am planning on writing a story of what happened to Bali in the real Star Wars universe where he never met Obi-Wan.

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to seeing the person Bali would have become without our dear Obi. :)

One thing that I noticed after I wrote my initial response is how unimportant Qui-Gon finally is to this story. Yes, his actions (or lack thereof) defined Obi-Wan but in the end he isn't even worth mentioning - except for this small part of how he felt Obi join the Force - and doesn't contribute to the end of the Sith in this story at all. It's kind of remarkable that I only thought of him on second thought, so to say. But what happened to him? Did he ever return to Coruscant? Did he make his peace with his mistakes and error in judgement?

And BTW, I loved that part about Obi and the sculptor. [face_laugh] And Bali only daring talk with him about it when he's far off planet... :D

Again, I hope to see more of your work really, really soon!

Nicky

20. Captain_Observant

Captain_Observant Jedi Master star 2

Dec 15, 2002
    I am not the first to say this, but it is so true...This is beautiful story. I loved every minute of it. It made me mad, it made me sad, it made me laugh, and it made me smile, it almost made me cry, which is something I rarely do!!!!!
    You are a fabulous writer and I enjoyed every minute I spent reading this story (and believe me, that was quite a few). Thank you for sharing this story with me and everyone else on the forum. I also must give you the credit for sucessfully addiciting me to fanfiction....After I read your first story I just couldn't stop!!!
    I can't believe that this is actually over....that is what really makes me want to cry.... :_| (happy, you actually brought tears to my eyes!!!)
    All I can say again is thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!

-The Cap'n
    p.s. What's Next? Anymore stories up your sleeve?

21. fanofewans

fanofewans Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2001
    " I truly hope this next post serves as an adequate finale and thank you. "

----One word for it Red Rose :) PERFECT !

22. Lazy-Bones

Lazy-Bones Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2002
    *big applause* Wonderful! Great ending.

23. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Perfect ending to a perfect series! :) I may even forgive you killing Obi one day! ;) Eagerly await your Bali story!

24. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    To repeat what has already been said, that was a perfect ending to a perfect series. You have truly written a masterpiece of fanfiction in these tales RRK and I really feel thankful for having been able to read them. It was so wonderful to see Bali a master, with so much of his own master in him, and Leia(who I've definitely decided I like a lot more than her mother :) ) as his padawan. It was also great to see Warbler still floating around and to find Bali's practical joking still in place. He is truly a wonderful legacy and a fine, fine individual in his own right.

I can't wait to read your lighthearted tale of Obi-Wan, Garen and Siri. :D It certainly gives us something to look forward to now that this story, which has been an almost daily fixture in our existance for so long, is over.

25. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002

Thanks Lurkalidth. You're exactly right. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.