main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Book of Paths: The Chosen Path (AU/Tagged) Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by red rose knight, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiLegolas

ObiLegolas Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    "I can't wait to read your lighthearted tale of Obi-Wan, Garen and Siri. It certainly gives us something to look forward to now that this story, which has been an almost daily fixture in our existance for so long, is over. "

Will you be posting links to your new fic (whichever one you do first) here, Red? I hope you do! I love your stories!

2. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    I elected to wait a bit before posting my final comments on your story, Red - to digest it a bit and consider my reaction carefully. To say that you handled a complex, intriguing storyline with aplomb and meticulous attention to detail goes without saying; your craft has grown demonstrably since your earliest work.

But it isn't craft that makes a writer; it's what rises from the mist of imagination and works its way onto the page - or the screen, in this case. It's the color and flavor and texture of a story, that can only be conveyed through sweat and inspiration, and, most of all, it's the deep understanding of the characters you're creating - for, even in using characters that someone else originally wrote - you are recreating them when you write them, reforming them in the image you generate.

For all of that - and more - for an emotional pathos that I've seldom witnessed in ANY work of fiction, for reaching into the hearts of these characters that we've all come to love so well, and, most of all, for avoiding the temptation to wrap everything up in pastel 'happily-ever-after', and insisting on taking your story where it was obviously meant to go - I salute you.

Beautifully, masterfully done - and, on reflection, I am content with the final denouement for the Insensitive Lout. AFter all, what more appropriate punishment than to be forced to survive those who should have mourned for him - and to know that there are no more chances - no more opportunities to make amends. What a sad, pathetic figure he has become - and am I crowing or what? :D

Sorry - couldn't go through this entire review without reverting to character at least once.

Nevertheless - superb, Red. My hat's off to you - permanently.

CYN

3. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    That was great, your great, Red, nuff said. :) :D 7

4. Mysticshill

Mysticshill Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2001
    AWESOME!!!!

5. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Very nice red. Very nice. :)

6. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
  7. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Wow. I can't believe it's over.

Thank you, Red, for giving me yet another reason to put off doing homework and writing papers. :) At first I thought it was kind of sad that Bali never found out that Obi-Wan was his father, but in the end, it doesn't really matter. They were still like father and son. Besides, Bali's a smart guy--I think he'd be able to figure it out.

This is actually the first time I seriously followed a story on the boards, and I think it was undoubtedly worth all the nail-biting and waiting for the cliffhangers to be resolved. Definitely can't wait for your next story!

8. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001

Enthralling how Obi-Wan's presence resonated throughout this marvelous finale. His courageous exploits immortalized by his carved image in marble. His thoughtful insights expressed in his journal. His cherished memory revisited by his beloved son, Bali.

Obi-Wan Kenobi's amazing odyssey from despairing knight without a purpose to his life affirming role as a devoted master had it all. Excruciating angst, nail-biting suspense, highly-charged action, charming humor and the unforgettable poignant rendering of a noble, yet emotionally vulnerable Jedi hero.

A million thanks, RRK! The entire journey along the Paths Trilogy has been supremely entertaining and a memorable blast!

9. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    First, thank you so much for all the time and effort you've put into creating this series, and for sharing it with us. Now that I'm posting my own work, I know just how time consuming it can be, and my hat is off to you. I truly don't know how you've done it for so long.

Second, a couple of comments on the last couple of posts. The post where Obi-Wan passes into the Force was done with such skill. It was lyrical and gentle, and written with perfect balance. I especially loved the last image we have of Qui-Gon. Masterful to have it match exactly (I went back and checked) the first image we had of him at the beginning of this story. Personally, I find him to be an incredibly sad character, for all the nonsense he perpetrated - alone, forgotten, understanding in the last what he gave up and what he can never have back. Beautiful storytelling.

In the last post, I loved how everything came full circle - Bali almost a carbon copy of his Master/father, Leia his Padawan, Luke being trained by another Master. I agree with others who said that in the end, it didn't matter that he never found out about his relation to Obi-Wan - what they had was closer than what a lot of families have.

Listen to me, I'm talking about them as if they're real! :)

In a way, I suppose though, they are real. This has been an incredible ride, and I applaud your skill and talent. I'll look forward - along with everyone else - to your next work.

And I also want to thank all the people who have posted replies. I don't know about everyone else, but I almost had as much fun reading the replies as I did the posts. This is a great group of people who have gathered here!

Shaindl

10. cristalvandepol

cristalvandepol Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 30, 2002
    This story was excellent and I am sorry to see this series end. That was a sad but happy ending to a great story. :)

11. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    That was------- fantastic. I'm still annoyed with Qui-Gon though, Bali picked Leia as his padawan. that's a dangerous choice. :) ;)
    I'm happy that Obi does not have to suffer anymore but sad that he did die.

So are you going to start a different series now?

Edit: oh yeah, Obi didn't get to tell Bali that he was his father. Now how about that. *crosses arms*

12. Nikita

Nikita Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2001
    It's hard to see this lovely work of art end. To think that this has been going on for more than a year, I think? Wow, just amazing.

As I've said many times already, and will continue to say... Red you are truly one of a kind. I will remember this series always, and whenever anyone asked me what's my favorite, you can be sure it's your work.

I have been gone for two weeks, only to come back to Obi's death, and Bali's begining. I can't believe he's gone :_| but I love the ending and I like how Leia is his padawan, good idea.

I will miss this Red, I truly will. And while I'm not one of your longer winded fans, I will say it once more, in praise of your higness...

Perfect!

13. Jinjur

Jinjur Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2002
    A Heart Breaking Work of Staggering Genius. [face_plain]

The worst part of this trilogy is that it's over! What can I look forward to now?

Just wanted to drop a note thanking you for the hours of enjoyment, suspense (my nails will never be the same again), laughter, tears, ire (keyboards at school may never recover), and a deep appreciation for the power of a story that you have brought with your words.

Thank you,

General Jinjur

14. kasiaskywalker

kasiaskywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 2002
    Wonderful ending.
    Your story was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Write something soon, please!
    :D

15. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Wow! There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said RRK. I loved this fic and am sad to see it end. You did a wonderful job and are an amazing storyteller. And you handled Obi-Wan's death so wonderfull that it didn't even bother me. I loved both Bali's and Qui-Gon's reactions. And it did seem very appropriate for Bali to have taken Leia as his padawan :) Great job!

--Shan

16. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    PaddyJuan? Awwww, I so love this story! ?? Thanks!

Kelly Kenobi? I am sad beyond words to see this story end and I look forward to your next masterpeice. Much love seemed to have gone in to the creation of this trilogy and it really shows!!!!!!! ?? Aw, but I think you will enjoy the upcoming tale of a couple of wild and crazy Jedi knights. I did enjoy writing this tale. Bali was so much fun to write. Hate to give him up for the time being.

padawanduck? beautiful ending red! beautiful. bali is still that little disobedient padawan we met. ?? :) He never grows up, no matter how old he gets.

Nicky? And you yet again managed to surprise me with making Leia Bali's apprentice - I'd have thought Luke was the more likely candidate... but I should have known better! ?? Well, I figured since Luke was considered more powerful a more qualified master would be needed, especially if he takes after his father. Fulfilling a promise to watch over Padmé and her children, it just seemed natural that maybe he trained one of them. Leia seemed like the kind of personality that would work well with Bali.

ObiLegolas? Great finish to a wonderfully awesome story, Red! Great job! ?? Thank you.

Psycho Freak? *clap, clap* Bravo! Beautiful ending! ?? :) Thanks!

LuvEwan? **contemplates jumping off cliff, then remembers the AU mentioned where Bali doesn't survive the Sith attack, and takes a step back. Begins tapping foot impatiently, glancing at her wristwatch....** ?? Hope you have a good grip because it is going to be a while. 8-} I want to explore a few other writing angles before I return to paths. ? I'd be interested in seeing an Obi/Qui fic from you, having already immensely enjoyed 'Unraveled', with Obi/Ani. ?? Hmmm, I have a shorty short short, just a single post with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon coming up in a few weeks. It?s actually Qui-sympathetic! [face_shocked]

TheFallen? This (the first Paths) was the first story I read on the boards and the reason I joined in the first place. ?? Oh, so it?s my fault you are here? 8-} [face_laugh] Well, I am glad I got you addicted enough to join in.

Aquas Knight? Wonderful ending. Like always after reading a masterpiece like this story/book. It`s get this empty felling because it`s like missing a really good friend. ?? :(

ca tron? *still looking for a new thread to cling to* ?? Hmm, I don?t think that will be too much trouble, there are so many wonderful stories floating around the board right now.

Phoenix Reborn? And, while I expect to be entering withdrawl starting this week, I just wanted to say it was wonderful and Thank You for sharing this wonderful story with us! ?? Thank you for reading and sticking through this twisted tale.

Jovieve? Sorry, I'm such a mess...my elderly cat is slowly dying and this story's ending's timing is not making my tear ducts any drier. ?? Sorry about your cat and totally understand what it is to loose a longtime pet. At least you had all those wonderful years of enjoyment.

Lurkalidth? As [cats] age, they become more and more perfect. ?? Isn?t that true.

Nicky? One thing that I noticed after I wrote my initial response is how unimportant Qui-Gon finally is to this story. ?? Isn?t that interesting.

Captain Observant? I also must give you the credit for sucessfully addiciting me to fanfiction....After I read your first story I just couldn't stop!!! I can't believe that this is actually over....that is what really makes me want to cry.... (happy, you actually brough

17. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Red, May the Force Be With You! (in case writer's block threatens you with a red double-bladed Maulsaber :) )

18. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    :_| it's over!

I finally have a chance to reply red. When I originally read this, I was heartbroken, but after I had time to think about it, I had to agree with everyone else. This was beautifully done. The way that you handled Obi's death was actually perfect in for this story and very in-keeping with his character. As for Qui, well, we do not always get what we want, and as you pointed out, his wallowing in what might-have-been will be all the more painful because it can never be changed now that Obi is gone. I'm sorry Obi died, but after all the pain he was in, I think probably it was best. :p after all we do have Bali to look forward to :D

Thank you for the roller coaster. I have enjoyed it immensely and am looking forward to the next one :D

Have a great break (for however long you actually are unable to keep yourself away from a keyboard :p ) and I will eagerly look forward to the next story.

:D The WoOkiee

19. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    *withdrawl has set in*

Just upping this because I miss the fic!

Can't wait for the new fic...

20. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    That was an awesome ending to an awesome story Red. I miss it already! :_|

Now that it is over I am going to go back and reread the trilogy in its entirety. It is truly one of the best stories I have ever read on these boards. I look forward to reading anything else you plan to throw our way. Bravo! :)

21. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Phoenix I know what you mean about withdrawal symptoms. RRK definitely deserves her break but I can't help wishing for it not to be too long. :D

22. Katie_Kenobi

Katie_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 2002
    That was wonderful!! It made me so sad when Bant cried, Bant never cries. But overall, it was a very good story. Too bad it's not allowed to be published. It would be a bestseller even if it wasn't Star Wars. I hope writers block never gets you REd, you are an awesome writer.

Katie

23. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    Red, I have finally caught up with your story!! Sorry it took so long, but I moved and didn't have internet for a while.

You have to be the most talented writer that I have ever had the privlege to read. Your characters are wonderfully realistic, and there is just something about the way that you describe emotion and scenery. I feel like I am right there in the story and John Williams' magnificent soundtrack is blaring in the background.

I absolutely loved how you made Obi-Wan's death so subtle! It was remarkably heart wrenching!!! :'(

But I'm slightly disappointed that Bali never found out that Obi-Wan was his Dad. I was wishing so badly that when Obi's sheilds were down that Bali would see!! I love how Anakin finally came through in the end, and it's sad to know that his beautiful children will never know him.

I was sooooo sad when Liril died!!! How could you!!??!! :)

Also it was terrific to see that Qui-Gon finally got through to Obi. There was a bit of stubborness on both sides of that fence. I'm glad that it was finally said.

Ohhhh and you are sooooo good at writing evil bad guys. You have to have a slight dark side tendency to be able to actually write what goes on in their twisted little heads! :)

Thank you so much for gracing us with this wonderful story!!! I truly think that if you ever publish, Timothy Zahn will definately have some competition!!

Celeste;)

24. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Upping the last of this wonderful trilogy.

25. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    JadeSolo? May the Force Be With You! (in case writer's block threatens you with a red double-bladed Maulsaber ?? Thanks! Of course, if I get blocked on one story, I have several others brewing and that helps greatly.

Flashbacca? Have a great break (for however long you actually are unable to keep yourself away from a keyboard) and I will eagerly look forward to the next story. ?? I couldn?t stay away for more than two days. :) I am glad the ending satisfied, even though it was an ending.

Phoenix Reborn?*withdrawl has set in* ?? Oh, I am sure there are plenty of good fics to keep the shakes and shivers away.

Sheila? That was an awesome ending to an awesome story Red. I miss it already! ?? Thanks! :)

Katie Kenobi? That was wonderful!! It made me so sad when Bant cried, Bant never cries. But overall, it was a very good story. ?? Thank you! :D

CelesteAntola? Thank you so much for gracing us with this wonderful story!!! ?? [face_blush] So many ups and downs. Sorry about Liril, but sometimes life isn?t fair. Don?t you ever wonder that maybe Bali did know? Not on the surface, but deep down, he just didn?t recognize it exactly as that.

Sorry for the withdrawal everyone is suffering but there are plenty of wonderful stories out there to get addicted too?.

Oh, just for kicks, I put up a little one poster here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.