main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Book of Paths: The Chosen Path (AU/Tagged) Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by red rose knight, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hi RRK,

pant...gasp...deep breaths...

Sorry, just finished a marathon reading of the first set of posts and their accompanying rants.

I know I'm late to join the crowd, but thanks for the welcome surprise of posting early. I, along with everyone else, was waiting with barely bated breath for this final Path. And to no one's surprise, you haven't disappointed in the slightest! :)

I won't go back to the previous posts - I think those have been - ahem - covered. A few things in this post caught my eye though...

Bali would never stand among the best or the greatest the Order had to offer, few did. He would not even be close...

I liked how you've made Bali fallible - he's not perfect as many other stories portray Obi-Wan - he's not going to be a great Jedi, but an average one. Much more human and realistic.

And he and Bali had learned invaluable lessons in handling energy pike users in battle, although the ginger haired Jedi was quite certain he would never put such knowledge to use unless he just happened to be storming the Chancellor?s office.

An omen, perhaps?

Anyways, thanks again for the surprise. While I can't promise I'll be in everyday - DRL has just sucker-punched me in a very nasty fashion - I will be following this story just as avidly as everyone else.

Shaindl

2. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    I was running a little late today. That Sithly work today kept me from getting my post done until just before I posted it. Ugh. Will really try to get tomorrow?s mostly written tonight because it needs a lot of work.

Padawan_Travina? But based on this post I wonder..did Obi-Wan do more damage to himself this time around?

He?s hurting but you will have to wait to see more. [face_devil]

CalaisKenobi? And yes, I do mean "goatface." The image of him with white hair and beard just makes me think of the three billy goats gruff.

Ha! Ha! [face_laugh] Ha! Ha!

Jedi_Knight_Hunter? Must stop laughing...must stop laughing, very good red. Funniness, sweetness, and possibly enough forshadowing that we should be worried?

Me? Foreshadow? Why would you think that?

Arwyn_Whitesun? I am enjoying this as a stand-alone fic and I can sense and pick up much of what has transpired.

That?s good because I always wondered if the books could stand on their own or if they were too entwined to be by themselves.

PT? Goatface works just fine...

It works for me!

Sugar_Bear? Great well-rounded portrayal of Obi. Enjoyed the charming reminiscence from the padawan where the handsome master had to precariously sneak out a window in order to escape an infatuated Lady Marnia.

Just wait for the stories about the handsome padawan. [face_love]

Shaindl? Anyways, thanks again for the surprise. While I can't promise I'll be in everyday - DRL has just sucker-punched me in a very nasty fashion

I know the feeling and am glad you stopped by. :)

Now I am off to work on tomorrow?s flashback?

3. ROGUE_49

ROGUE_49 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    Ooooohhhhhh!!!! Flashback!! I knew there would have to be one soon. I just mentioned it earlier because I"m just so anxious to to see this story unwind, but like Halcyon mentioned earlier. There's lots of story and lets enjoy it. If it were rushed as we would so like it, then it would all be over too soon!!

I tried to pick out a different secton of text to comment on than everybody else, though I agree with everyone else that the one about storming the Chancellor's office with a force-pike, Obi escaping out a window from a ficitonal fan like us
    8-}, and the "That may be a good thing" response of Obi's- were hilarious. I thought this part was very sweet and ironic as well.

?You break my heart, Master Kenobi and Padawan Tiro,? his voice boomed so all the Kahier present could hear. ?My guard are my friends, my family and I see you both as such and I shall miss your presence here in the crystal city.?

Aww... See! we're not all biased! EVERYONE (except for chowderhead) loves obi-wan. IT's not just us.

The Jedi bowed before the royal and Obi-Wan said, ?It is with regret that our duties call us back to Coruscant.?

Sure Obi. Whatever you say.

?There is no regret, Master Jedi. I was young once and know what it is to be stationed far from home for a long time.

I know that the young reference was perhaps mainly to focus on Bali, but..this thought crossed my mind. This guy still seems to believe that Obi-wan must miss his "home" as well when we all know that's totally not true. Obi's praises have been sung and he has been called family and yet, they know nothign about one of the most prominent issues of Obi's life. You get that? It's just ironic. Obviously, we wouldn't exepct them to know anything, but still, it just comes off so sad that Obi must be so intent on not letting it show, that these peeple, who love him for who he is and would accept him no matter waht, can not see any of it. *shrugs* Just, the illusion of words contradict reality, I guess. Classic writing technique. Great Job RRK

Halcyon How much should I bet that you laughed at that second to last paragirrafe (hehe! that was for Pastor Mac- I couldn't resist) Sorry everyone who's outside of the loop. 8-} EDITWHoa I really was tired here. I meant second to last sentence, which totally negates the paragraph comment em. Even I was out of the loop on that one.

I so have to go back and reread TLTP. I managed rereading AUP in a couple hors the other night, but I haven't found time for TLTP. I want to check out hte submission dart thig again. I honestly ahve forgotten so many thigns from there and I want to figure it all out befroe we get to deep in this one. hehe! I can't wait for that.
    Can't stick around because of my AP English assignment that I should ahve been working on instead of reading this thread!!!! I won't be back til tomorrow then. I really mean it! If I do come back- someone yell at me. Hmm... That could be scary *runs away screaming- "Don't rant at me CYN!"*

:D- Rogue

4. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :) :D Not much to say.Just wallowing in their lovely presence! [face_love]

5. Psycho-Freak

Psycho-Freak Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    And he and Bali had learned invaluable lessons in handling energy pike users in battle, although the ginger haired Jedi was quite certain he would never put such knowledge to use unless he just happened to be storming the Chancellor?s office.
    Hmmm Does Obi-Wan knows something he hasn't told us?

It had been a blessing to be sent to Itheria. It got him out of the Temple and away from Bant?s constant nagging and Yoda?s determined prodding. [face_laugh] I miss those two already!

Do I hear a flashback is coming tomorrow? :D

6. creelin

creelin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2002
    <<Every time he looked at the youth, he was surprised. Bali had grown so much in the blink of an eye. He wasn?t a little boy scrunching his nose in curiosity. Bright green eyes were sharp and focused always on the task at hand. He was a good padawan. Obi-Wan knew Bali would never stand among the best or the greatest the Order had to offer, few did. He would not even be close, but Bali would be a good Jedi because he embodied the ideals of millennia of teaching. In the end that was all that mattered to Obi-Wan. Not how high scores were or how many contests his padawan won, but that Bali upheld the Code and always acted in an honorable fashion. That he would be the best he could be.

>>

I loved this, and I especially loved the fact that Obi sees Bali this way. In reading TLTP today I came across the flashback where Obi tells Bali that a Jedi is about what's in the heart, not so much about what abilities he/she might have. I liked this interaction because it showed Obi-Wan's believe that although Bali might not be the best at everything or the most knowledgable, everything he does, he puts his heart into it and tries his best. And I can't help but wonder how much everyone underestimates Bali, somehow I think he might turn out to be a better Jedi than we all expected.

7. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    I'm supposed to be writing - and I absolutely will NOT get in another fight today. One is quite enough, thank you. (OK - not really a fight, but a rather substantial, lovely, no-holds-barred rant, which I absolutely adore, as you all know. :D )

But I couldn't resist. Oh, RED nobody paints him better than you - and nobody captures the specters he carries deep inside as well as you do. The deep commitment between Master and Padawan is beautiful and touching - and you're plumbing it for everything it's worth, aren't you - you little devil, you!

Great job. Gotta run. More tomorrow - and a flashback would be lovely!

CYN

8. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    [the violence between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon] isn?t forgivable. When Qui-Gon tried to sucker punch then run Obi-Wan through you have to look at it like this (and remember where in the story this happened): Qui-Gon was going to sucker punch Obi-Wan. But remember Obi-Wan is wound a little tight at that time. He has lived a tough few years and his survival and that of those he is rescuing depends on his ability to sense and react to attack. Qui-Gon was attacking him and he naturally responded. Then Qui-Gon responded. They both were in the wrong to battle but they were caught up in it.

So what are you saying, Red? That there is never going to be a chance for reconciliation? Or that there never was? Is it as Naw says? That there is no reason to even want Obi-Wan and his old master to reconcile? ... so too much time has passed and too much has passed between them for that ever to happen...?

Scary, the thought of Qui-Gon with his white hair looking like a classic patriarchal picture of God hisself.

9. Halcyon03

Halcyon03 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    Rogue- Aww... See! we're not all biased! EVERYONE (except for chowderhead) loves obi-wan. IT's not just us.

LOL! How true, how true! 8-}

Great post, Red! I'd comment more, but everyone else beat me to all my favorite lines. (Especially the one about storming the Chancellor's office, hehe!)

Just wait for the stories about the handsome padawan.

Can't wait! ;) Keep up the great work!

10. Nikita

Nikita Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2001
    I just love it when there's a post with Obi and Bali. They are so cute together. They have a older brother/younger brother relastionship at times, and then Obi is such a good father figure/master to Bali. Obi is doing very well in the "child rearing" department.

Red maybe you should become a published author or something. You reach out to so many people with your original characters and you depict the regular characters so well it's incredible!

If Obi's worried about returning to the temple and being stuck there, maybe they'll meet up with Qui. I don't think I remember Bali disliking Qui all too much. He knows nothing of his master's and Qui's relationship and problems. Maybe Qui can be reached by Bali?

it's late, good post Red! Very Enjoyable!

~*Nik*~

11. sabercrazy

sabercrazy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    SWEET SPARKLING MOTHER OF THE FORCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE YOU TRYING TO GIVE ME A HEART ATTACK??? ALREADY???????

Jeeze...I'm scrolling down...AND I FIND THIS!!!! MY EYES BUGGED OUT SO FAR I THINK I HAD TO SCRAPE THEM OFF THE COMPUTER SCREEN!!!!!!!!

::pauses to calm self down::

RED YOU ARE A SIGHT FOR DEPRIVED EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ummm...do I sense a bit of foreshadowing?

?Do not grow up too fast, Padawan.?

Sry Obi...but that kid grew up the day he faced down a Sith to save his Master's life.

naw: [face_laugh] [face_laugh] OMG that smiley is PERFECT!!! I think RED has a mascot...

12. Mysticshill

Mysticshill Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2001
    Excellant....poor Qui-Gon told off by his Chosen One. To bad there's no one around to say, "I told you so." I'm sure Yoda will get to it.

Great posts, I love it.

13. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    ALRIGHT , Red !!!! I am sooooooo glad you are back!!!!! The story is awesome so far!!! I just wish it would never end, but why am I thinking of that?! The end is not even close!! Thank goodness for that!

It is neat to see Bali so much older! And Obi-Wan too, although his age is finally showing. But, as Han Solo once said, "It's not the years, sweetheart, it's the miles." That is the truth in Obi's case here.

And good ol' Qui-Gon! I loved how you brought him back, although I have this ominous feeling that something bad is going to happen to him. And when will he finally figure it out with his apprentices? (I do feel kinda sorry for him though.)

I honestly feel bad for Padme though. And I wonder what her secret could possibly be? Hmm...

And what a disgrace Anakin has become! Leaving the order, hating his Master (sort of), doing sneaky "business", and leaving his loving wife alone all the time! It's terrible (though not surprising)!

Keep up the awesome job!!!

Celeste;)

14. Jedi_Knight_Hunter

Jedi_Knight_Hunter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Why would I not think that?

*runs off to check on the humble pie in the oven*

15. Halcyon03

Halcyon03 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    Just a quick up- it would be a crime to lose such a magnificent thread in the many pages of this board! (Not that it would ever sink too far!! ;) )

16. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    runs in
    gasp...pant...huff....puff...
    starts wriggling with excitement again :p

WoW Red I had forgotten how much, uhm, commentary your stories always spark... :D Lovin' it.

Everyone has already said pretty much what I was thinking, so all I will say it... Gee, I love this story. [face_love]

and I will try not to die on your thread Red but to be perfectly honest, I really don't think that even a giant bomb going off in the middle of your story would dislodge anyone.... We are, as they say, stuck like glue to you... [face_laugh]

naw I absolutely adore that, wherever did you find it?

:D TW

17. Just_Jill

Just_Jill Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Ah, nice, red_rose_knight.

I can't wait for the flashbacks. You are a master at those, and I am seriously going to study how you do them. I'd love to know how to do them...

And you're the best I've read.

Hope you don't mind.

Just Jill

18. Siri_Z

Siri_Z Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2002
    Great chap red!

And just ta let you know.. you honestly dont have to appologize to the person pierogi hung up on... that was me.. :D

Till Later~
    Siri

19. ROGUE_49

ROGUE_49 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    Nikita-I don't think I remember Bali disliking Qui all too much. He knows nothing of his master's and Qui's relationship and problems.

Are you sure? Obi and Bali have been together an awful long time. I guess I can imagine it being somehting that Obi keeps to himself and yet the relationship that he and his Padawan have just doesn't seem like it would not accept something like that to be known to Bali. Bali has changed Obi and become his purpose for living. It will take more story to discover how far the two have come and what exactly Bali knows about his Master's past. There is that Master/Padawan line that separates them as well though, so... who knows. 8-} Well, RRK does of course, but you knew what I meant. As far as Bali and how much he likes Qui? I remember a couple instances in TLTP that it was mentioned how Bali was picking up on some of his Master's feelings about Qui, though he was too young to try and figure out why. By now, Bali, I"m sure has learned to read people better and trust what he picks up on in the FOrce. It's just a matter of how much Obi works to conceal his own dislike. Naturally, Bali is going to dislike Qui if he knows his master has a serious problem with him. It probably doesn't help to have Bant around knocking the guy either. Even if Obi didn't want to share anythign with Bali, I would think that Bant would tend to say things to him. Bant is alwyas the one you can trust to tell things about Obi, when he's to stubborn to share them himself. Like I said, I guess, we'll see.

I'm itching for that flashback {b]red[/b]! Can't wait! -Rogue

20. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    ROGUE_49? [Tanát] still seems to believe that Obi-wan must miss his "home" as well when we all know that's totally not true. Obi's praises have been sung and he has been called family and yet, they know nothign about one of the most prominent issues of Obi's life. You get that? It's just ironic. Obviously, we wouldn't exepct them to know anything, but still, it just comes off so sad that Obi must be so intent on not letting it show, that these peeple, who love him for who he is and would accept him no matter waht, can not see any of it.

Oh, no, you are not biased. ;) It?s a miracle that after all Obi-Wan has been through he can still be considered an amiable person and like by so many.

I so have to go back and reread TLTP?I honestly ahve forgotten so many thigns from there and I want to figure it all out befroe we get to deep in this one.

Don?t worry, I too have forgotten much and I wrote it. I recently dug out my cheat sheet from TLTP that I made to keep track of things and characters. I?ve updated it for this story so I keep everyone?s names spelled correctly and know their affiliations.

obi_ew? Just wallowing in their lovely presence!

Lucky then, because there is even more to wallow in today. :D

Psycho-Freak? Hmmm Does Obi-Wan knows something he hasn't told us?

No, he?s just being out lovely, sarcastic Obi-Wan.

creelin? I liked this interaction because it showed Obi-Wan's believe that although Bali might not be the best at everything or the most knowledgable, everything he does, he puts his heart into it and tries his best. And I can't help but wonder how much everyone underestimates Bali, somehow I think he might turn out to be a better Jedi than we all expected.

All he needs is someone to have faith in him and give him the confidence that he can do anything he puts his mind to.

CYN? I'm supposed to be writing

Uh, love you dearly but I don?t want a pack of rabid readers hunting me down because you are reading and not writing. 8-}

Jovieve? So what are you saying, Red? That there is never going to be a chance for reconciliation? Or that there never was?

Sorry, I didn?t make that very clear. It was just that one fight in the hall that I was talking about. As far as reconciliation goes I am saying nothing. This story has just begun and it is a long, dark ride ahead.

Halcyon03? Great post, Red! I'd comment more, but everyone else beat me to all my favorite lines. (Especially the one about storming the Chancellor's office, hehe!)

Thanks. Leave Obi-Wan to have that as a random thought.

Nikita? Red maybe you should become a published author or something.

I am working toward that goal very slowly. Posting on this board has done more for my writing than all the ?how-to? and classes could.

sabercrazy? Jeeze...I'm scrolling down...AND I FIND THIS!!!! MY EYES BUGGED OUT SO FAR I THINK I HAD TO SCRAPE THEM OFF THE COMPUTER SCREEN!!!!!!!!

So you finally decided to join the party, huh? ;)

Misticshill? Excellant....poor Qui-Gon told off by his Chosen One. To bad there's no one around to say, "I told you so." I'm sure Yoda will get to it.

Topped off with a whack to the shins with a gimer stick. 8-}

CelesteAntola? And Obi-Wan too, although his age is finally showing. But, as Han Solo once said, "It's not the years, sweetheart, it's the miles." That is the truth in Obi's case here.

That is so true.

Jedi_Knight_Hunter? *runs off to check on the humble pie in the oven*

Hmm?hmmm that smells good. :)

Halcyon03?Thanks! But I don?t think you have to worry about that for a while. There will be a steady stream of posts.

Flashbacca? We are, as they say, stuck like glue to you...

Should that scare me? :confused:

Just_Jill? I'd love to know how to do them...

If you ever find out, please tel

21. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001

The Book of Healing Part I

From the quiet comfort of darkness came the soft glow of light. It was so far away and the padawan wondered if he had the strength to reach it. He needed the warmth and protection of the light wishing only to wrap it around his sleepy form.

The Force beckoned him toward the golden glow that that lingered just beyond his reach. He could feel the energy of life all around him and longed to join them.

Reaching out through the familiarity of the training bond, Bali brushed up against his master?s warm thoughts. Joy erupted through him as bleary green eyes opened to the small room in the healing center.

?Master?? the boy softly croaked as he searched the world filled fuzzy blotches of color. ?Mas??

A gentle hand pressed his mouth closed stifling the sound that made his throat hurt.

Shh.

Recognizing the voice in his head, Bali bounded forward into the heavy cloak and warm body within, wrapping his arms around his master?s neck. Tears streaked his pale cheeks. ?I had to go, Master,? he whimpered clutching tight and burying his face against Obi-Wan?s chest. ?I had to go. He would have killed you.?

Through the bond, he felt his master?s understanding but he wished only to be told with spoken words that everything would be all right. Bali settled with the protective arms that wrapped around his trembling, weak form.

It is all right, his master?s voice whispered through the training bond.

?He wanted to hurt you. I felt it. He wanted you to hurt. Master Spex said someone was trying to break the prophesy and everything is messed up. He said the chosen one would kill you. I couldn?t let that happen.? Even though weakness laced through his thirteen-year-old form, he held on for his life. His master was there, alive and that was all that mattered.

22. Siri_Z

Siri_Z Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2002
    ooo short and touching... and answers question most have been wondering for sometime.. wat Bali had been told.. well i'm sure thats only some of it...

Oh then I take back the apology

Oh dont I feel luved... ;) :D

Till Later~
    Siri

23. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :( Short but heartwrenching and truly eloquent!

24. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    WOW RED that was a very short but great post.

I am also glad to see what Bail was told...

Good job and I can't wait to read more...

PLEASE!!!!

PT

25. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Bali knows what he's talking about--everything is really messed up. The Book of Paths series is quite unlike any other AU I've ever found. The change at first was just a small detail, and now things have veered completely off course.

I feel so sorry for Obi-Wan--but, strangely, even more so for Bali. He is, after all, watching his Master suffer (something Obi-Wan is well-accustomed to), and we can tell how hard it is for him. The Book of Healing? Let's hope that it will be absolute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.