main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Book of Paths: The Chosen Path (AU/Tagged) Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by red rose knight, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan_Amanda

Padawan_Amanda Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2002
    ROGUE_49, I don't think that In the Prism of Time & Eternity is on these boards, but you can find it at http://www.geocities.com/padawanben/
    It's a fairly long read, but definitely worth the time.

2. ROGUE_49

ROGUE_49 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    Thanks- PA and Jovieve for sending me the address. It was worth going to the site just to see that gorgeous picture of Obi-wan on the opening "Prism" page. [face_love].

Red Do yuou always post in the evenings, or will you ever surprise us with a morning or afternoon post? Just curious. -Rogue

3. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    CelesteAntola? They are just awesome! But I always have this feeling that posts like that are only there to soften us up, so that when the bad thing happens in the next chapter, we are shocked out of our computer chairs.

Soften you up? Hmm?

MysticalMAgic? I just found this story today....

:)

ROGUE_49? Do yuou always post in the evenings, or will you ever surprise us with a morning or afternoon post? Just curious.

Always in the evenings on weekdays as I work and they don?t see it fit to give me internet access. :( Weekends are usually whenever I manage to get the post ready.

I?ve got today?s written and it will be up shortly. Then I have a postie for tomorrow almost ready and hopefully I?ll work on Sunday?s post tonight. Thanks for your input on Bali!

4. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001

The Book of Political Adversaries

The Senate Guard remained motionless, as if not noticing the procession of Senators that marched through the entrance to the Chancellor?s offices. Their deadly Force pikes rested against the blood red material of their uniforms always just a beat from reacting to any threats against Palpatine.

Offering the guard little attention, Padmé Amidala and Bail Organa led the parade into an anteroom before the security corridor to the main office. Behind them was a myriad group of senior Loyalist senators from powerful worlds throughout the Republic.

The imposing, blue skinned Chagrian, Mas Amedda, blocked the entrance to the corridor. ?You will stop,? he commanded.

Stepping to the lead, Bail Organa used his own height to create an equally powerful presence. ?We will not be ignored by the Chancellor anymore,? the Alderaan Senator boomed.

?You will not barge in on the Chancellor like this. He is in a meeting??

The Loyalist Committee surged forward, pushing Amedda to the side as they poured into the corridor and burst through the simply decorated doors and revealed the deep reds of the expansive inner office.

The beautiful Senator from Naboo marched forward as Palpatine quickly rose to his feet in shock at the interruption. ?Chancellor, we must speak,? Padmé demanded while she glanced about the room noting that it was empty.

The withered expression of the politician framed dark eyes that coldly studied the impetuous Senator. ?Then schedule a meeting.?

?It appears you are free now,? Padmé shot back. ?Certainly, Chancellor, you cannot be too busy to speak with the Loyalists.? She was always conscious to refrain from using any title other than ?chancellor?. The connotations of referring to him as ?His Excellency? bothered her.

?Amidala,? Palpatine said with a forced smile as he held his open palm out to her but she refused and he took back his gesture. ?It is a time consuming and great burden to guide the Republic. As indeed you must know from your days upon Naboo?s throne.?

?I did not rule with an iron grip.? She adjusted the heavy skirt of her deep blue dress. The dark colors suited her mood and she knew she was more likely to be taken seriously in them than fluffy light colors. ?The civil war is over.?

?Only the fighting, my child,? Palpatine replied less than warmly. ?There is still a war going on.?

?What war?? Bail interjected speaking in the smooth, cultured tone of a high born member of Alderaan society. ?The Aveniar and other seceding parties have surrendered amicably. A treaty has been drawn and they have agreed to accept Loyalist governors during the period of reconstruction. Far too many worlds suffered during the fighting and now they suffer under an unreasonable martial law.?

The Loyalist senators erupted, all agreeing with Organa?s assessment of the situation. All of them rallying for the Chancellor to turn the governorship of the reconstruction back to the Senate.

?Please, please!? Palpatine called trying to quiet the group. ?If I did not believe you to be nothing but loyal to the Republic I would think you are threatening mutiny. We cannot suffer another civil war.?

?Chancellor,? Padmé said evenly approaching the politician. ?You have taken control from the Senate. Your loyalist laws are far too stringent and too easy to convict anyone of wrongdoing??

?All I want is to protect this great Republic, much like your husband. His command in the Battle of Bogden saved so many lives.?

?This conversation has nothing to do with Anakin,? she said sternly.

The aged politician studied the young woman for a moment, then returned to the subject of the impromptu meeting, ?The Republic has become ill. While it is weak those who would seek to undermine it will cause the most damage. They are an infection that must be fought against before it turns into a disease that corrupts the entire body. As the Republic strengthens the hold will be loosened.?

?That could take years, decades even.?

?Perhaps.? The

5. Halcyon03

Halcyon03 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    Drawing his dark gaze to the tempestuous man, Palpatine said warningly, ?Be careful, Senator. Such a tone might be misconstrued as anti-loyalist and have to be dealt with.?

Duh-duh-duh!!! Of course, it doesn't take much to figure out exactly what Palpatine means when he says that Organa will have to be "dealt with". ;) Watch out Bail!

Great post, Red. A good political view of things. I have a bad feeling for the Loyalists that came charging into Palpy's office so boldly though... the red guards don't carry those Force pikes for nothing!

Can't wait for the next post! :D

Edit: Wow! I got the first reply! I feel so honored! :)

6. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    ?I am not at liberty to discuss?I am working for the good of the Republic, you must understand that.? >>

Heheh...I loved the way you wrote Palpy in that post. Great job!

-Tim

7. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001

Bless Amidala's brazenness and gumption in barging into Palpatine's office to seek an audience when she knows that her actions will make Anakin see red.

I enjoyed how the spitfire Senator refused to refer to the Chancellor as "His Excellency" and to shake his proffered hand.

Her marriage and political career appear as good as in the dumpster by daring to go up against the powerhouse Palpy, but more of a concern is that her life may once again be at stake also.

Great post, RRK! Very tension filled and ominous confrontation.

8. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    politics :p I know,I know it's necessary to the story line! You somehow manage to make it digestable Red ! :D

9. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Why do I keep hearing strains of Berlioz when I visualize this scene? Oh, RED, you do capture the ominous, oily slickness of our favorite sleazoid better than anyone. And what a marvelous way to provide necessary information so that we understand what has transpired in the Republic, while at the same time keeping the entertainment level at fever pitch.

Excellent job in combining a data-oriented post with a satisfying level of emotional involvement.

Well done.

CYN

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Excellent, RRK. You gave me chills with your confrontation between Padme and Palpatine. Keep up the good work.

11. creelin

creelin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2002
    Cyn's right. Berlioz does flash through my mind on reading that scene.

Great post, Red! I look forward to more.

12. Psycho-Freak

Psycho-Freak Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    Palpatine. Ugh!

Like a certain ginger-haired jedi, I don't like politicians. :p

For a moment there an image of Padme being fried by energy spikes flashed through my mind. I'd watch out if I were Bail.

13. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Berlioz must be turning over in his grave with so many of us nearly simultaneously hearing strains of his music reading RRK's post. :)

Terrific post, Red. Very few writers have a knack for the political intrigue, as shown by attempting just about any Star Wars novel(I've only read the PT ones but they almost invariably are dull as dust in the political area). The balancing of plot and character is excellent. And I really liked your portrayal of Bail.

14. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Great post. You never forget the attention to detail to set up all aspects of your story from character interaction to political intrigue. AND you do it all while keeping your readers entertained. I personally hate politics and was bored silly by that aspect of the "official" SW books. Your politics however are fascinating. I loved it when Palpatine threatened Bail. That in itself spoke volumes. Keep up the great work.

15. Antigone

Antigone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Though Padme's character was never my cup of tea, your portrayal of her, RRK, almost takes away the bad taste left in my mouth from eps 1 and 2. Having just stumbled across this - and silly me, depressed with the thought that I would have to wait until February :D - bear with me as I comment on past posts. Bali seems to have grown into the man I hoped he would - joking and witty, a perfect compliment to Obi's dark humor. The interaction between Qui and Anakin was beautifully done. Anakin's resemtment is so - palpable, that it makes for the perfect blend of surpressed anger and guilt - on Qui's part. Nice, informative post today. Tomorrow's is eagerly awaited.

Oh, and btw, there's a sequel out for In the Prism of Time and Eternity. Not nearly as long, and it has Obi regressing to a stage that I believe is a bit below the mentality of a 25 year old Jedi, no matter the circumstances of his renewed apprenticeship, but it makes for a good read. It's called In the Prism of Time and Eternity: (I can't remember, but it will be simple to locate) and is in the Master and Apprenctice achive. PG folks, no slash despite this archive's rather notorious connection with the stuff, and a nice fifteen, twenty minutes spent if you have time for it.

~Antigone

16. ROGUE_49

Apr 14, 2002
    ?You will not barge in on the Chancellor like this." *laces next words with Force compulsion* "You must get one of those 'deadly Force pikes' first." [face_devil] hehe! Ok- that wasn't the way it was written. I loved how you prompted that thought RRK by using paralleling words from that earlier post where Obi-wan suggested such a thing. Very sneaky. It was nice to see Muton Irot again too. :D
    I can't wait for more Obi.

-Rogue

Sidenote for Halcyon: Don't know if you'll manage to get to this thread tonight, but just thought I'd let you know that I've written 2.5 pages so far. Oooohhh! Palpy is so evil. He's so fun to write. I've also thought of some possibilities for the necessary ironic twist to that Aurra Sing thing. Think what I told you about gambling money and then think probe droid. What do you come up with? It was really obvious to me when I thought of it, but I won't tell you cause you might come up with something even better. Or at least a bit more refined. I tend to try and stretch ideas a bit too far you know. :D ttyl

EDIT Dang Em! I didn't realize that was you who got the first reply. I guess I'm thinking you might get this in the morning now 8-} It'll be moot by later than that.

17. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    To quote the Hunt for Red October movie "I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops."

Palpatine's a cold sleaze. He's practically oozing down the walls or is something you'd find on the bottom of your shoe.

Yeech.

18. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Halcyon03? Duh-duh-duh!!! Of course, it doesn't take much to figure out exactly what Palpatine means when he says that Organa will have to be "dealt with". Watch out Bail!

Fear will keep them in line. :)

Darth_Tim? Heheh...I loved the way you wrote Palpy in that post. Great job!

Thanks! Of course, the politics and Palpatine in general is reallydifficult. I wish I hadn?t introduced politics in TLTP but it was needed and I need it to tell the rest of the story. SW is as much about politics as it is about space battles.

Sugar_Bear? Her marriage and political career appear as good as in the dumpster by daring to go up against the powerhouse Palpy, but more of a concern is that her life may once again be at stake also.

She is nothing if not always at the center of the firestorm.

obi_ew? You somehow manage to make it digestable

:)

CYN? Why do I keep hearing strains of Berlioz when I visualize this scene?

I can?t imagine why? :confused: [face_smile]

dianethx? You gave me chills with your confrontation between Padme and Palpatine.

Evil politician against good politician. Wait, that doesn?t sound right?

creelin? Berlioz does flash through my mind on reading that scene.

I wasn?t even feeling musical today.

Psycho-Freak? For a moment there an image of Padme being fried by energy spikes flashed through my mind. I'd watch out if I were Bail.

Are you reading my unedited manuscript?

naw ibo? And I really liked your portrayal of Bail.

Good because he is going to have an important part in the story. And sorry in advance to everyone about the Bail/Bali confusion. When I created the frightened initiate, I didn?t expect Bail Organa to play any part in the story.

Sheila? I loved it when Palpatine threatened Bail. That in itself spoke volumes.

They will be butting heads again before all is said and done.

Antigone? Having just stumbled across this - and silly me, depressed with the thought that I would have to wait until February

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! I had to work really hard but I made the original October start. :D

ROGUE_49? I can't wait for more Obi.

How about tomorrow?

Jovieve? Palpatine's a cold sleaze. He's practically oozing down the walls or is something you'd find on the bottom of your shoe.

That?s an excellent description!

19. Estel_Kenobi

Estel_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2002
    For lack of time...ditto what CYN said.

20. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Ooh goodie, Obi tomorrow. :)

Estel-Kenobi, don't mean to get off topic but by any chance are you an Aragorn fan?

EDIT: Never mind, I was going by your name(because I remembered it was one of Aragorn's names) but now I've noticed your quote and your "Ranger of the North" occupation in your profile, so I guess you are. :)

21. Cicci

Cicci Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2002
    Great posts, RRK. Loved the second last (?) post, the flashback. I have a thing for your flashbacks.

As for the last post, the way you write Padmé, is tempting me to really start liking her.

Palpatine is just one ugly bastard.

22. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    You do political intrigue very well, RRK! That was a very chilling scene, sensing how much power Palpy has and how willing he is to use it. [face_devil] Kudos for a well-done scene! :D

23. ROGUE_49

Apr 14, 2002
    Yeah! Obi coming up! -Rogue

24. Estel_Kenobi

Estel_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2002
    naw: Indeed I am a big time Strider fan. :D :D :D Obi-Wan, Legolas, and Aragorn. You just can't go wrong with them! :D

siri: My name isn't pierogi anymore! I am Estel now. Oh whatever...estel, pierogi, fish, I'll answer to 'em all. ;)

25. ObiLegolas

ObiLegolas Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    Oooo, definitely what Estel_Kenobi said! hee hee Obi, Legolas and Aragorn, yum! They should make a movie with all three in it! hee hee Now THAT would be a popular movie among the ladies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.