The Book of Paths: The Long Twilight Path

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by red rose knight, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh for the love of Obi please post soon Red, I can't take the wait much longer :eek: :eek:

I was so happy when plans got changed for this weekend and I didn't have to wait until Sunday to read the final posts, a couple hour wait is about to drive me crazy, I would have been completely over the edge by Sunday!!!!!
  2. KenobisGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    :_| Oh my gosh!!!!!!! I've missed so much in this lovely story, and now that I am caught up, all I have now to say is: Noooooooooooooooooo!! Please don't let Obi die! *Whimpers* :(

That was so sweet of him, though. I've never been so saddened!

Poor Bali! Poor Obi!!!

You must post more soon!!!!!!!! :eek:

KenobisGirl :eek: :eek: :( :_|
  3. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    I come home from work and no post.. OK I guess I'll just wait the additional hour or two. tick tock tick tock
  4. naw ibo Force Ghost

star 5
    Not up yet! Oh my god I'm dyin' here!!!

Sorry, RRK, know you said you had a bad day, just had to get that off my chest. :)

The best(and worst) thing about that last post is that its the sort of writing that's devastating enough when you are reading it, but it is almost like it really hits you hours later when you aren't even in the midst of reading it.

One of the most interesting and touching little things in the post was when Obi-Wan was thinking that despite everything that had occurred in the mean time since he'd last done it(saving Qui-Gon), he'd still make the same choice again and he didn't regret it.
  5. BlueJedi Jedi Master

star 1
    Go Red... Go Red... Go Red...

Red Red Red Red Red Red Red Red!!!!!!!!!!

6. red rose knight Force Ghost

star 4
    CYNICAL21? Can I say - in a very small voice - that I sort of foresaw this scene

You and everyone else?s did or did not foresee statements begs the question: Who is Keiser Soze? 8-}

I'd hazard an assurance that you wouldn't kill off one of your main characters

The Chosen Path is all about Bali facing the galaxy.

sabercrazy?Are you hoarse yet? Or still running around. Don?t get too excited, that?s nothing.

obi_ew? Who's handing out the tissue?

Here. Take two, or three maybe four. Just take the whole box! :_|

Sugar_Bear? Not to mention that the guilt alone would have driven him mad.

That?s a very scary thought.

draigon_myth? could you all say a quick prayer?

Sure thing. Hope everything is all right.

Kelly Kenobi? I was also sooooo mad that Qui-Gon, the first on the scene, didn?t seem to consider trying to save Bali in this fashion.

He probably thought it was the will of the Force that the boy should die and not interfere. You know, having forgotten how a certain padawan interfered and changed destiny.

Darth_Yak?Pretty, pretty pictures! [face_love] Of course the one from Vanity Fair was so perfect for this story.

Princess Padmé? all I could help thinking was please don't kill me until Red finishes! Is that bad thing?

Well at least you have your priorities straight. 8-}

Jee-dai? I'm not usually into post-TPM Obi/Ani AU fics and the title threw me off for a while, but this fanfic has my attention.

Is that the Price of Sacrifice? I?m only a few posts in but I think its great. Although I need to get caught up and stop lurking. Ugh. Going to get caught up on the rest of my reading this week! Yeah! Does little happy dance. Then sit down and figure out how to deal with the mess known as The Chosen Path.

Wow! Thanks for all the wonderful replies. I was worried about that post. You overwhelm me. [face_blush]

Okay everyone, hang on, today?s little wrap up post is coming up. Then tomorrow?s big finale. (I suppose I better get to writing it, shouldn?t I?)
  7. Knight Obi Wan Jedi Knight

star 3
    ::shaking from withdrawal:: she's going to post, she's going to post.

Thank the Force...I was about to start a chorus of "I Am Henry the Eighth."
  8. red rose knight Force Ghost

star 4

Holonet Broadcasting Company

"?the death toll has risen to at least a dozen dead including Senator Amidala's private guard. Still no word on Chancellor Palpatine's missing assistant. The would be assassin was believed to be killed by the quick action of the Jedi.

"In a related story, hostilities against the Jedi are on the rise near the front lines in the war with the League of Secessionists.

"In a statement following the attack on the Senate building, Senator Erigar of the Caris Regime pointed out that the resolution had to pass. The Galactic Senate would fail in its duties to protect the Republic if they allowed such a terroristic attack to frighten them into submission.?

The Book of Purification

The air of the funerary chamber crackled as bright orange and yellow flames leapt wildly into the air casting dancing shadows against the curved walls. The golden light showered the two silent witnesses as the fire quickly consumed the yarel branches spread across the bier Shmi Skywalker was laid upon.

Anakin's tears reflected the horror before him but he remained stoic watching the fires greedily consume his mother's body.

A still bruised Padmé stared up at the nearly catatonic young man. She wrapped herself gently around his arm, pulling close. Human contact, support was all she could offer him.

After a time, when the body had been reduced to ashes and the flame little more than a warm glow Anakin pulled his eyes from the sight to stare down at the young Senator. Padmé gave him a warm, loving smile. He returned it, wrapping his arm around her shoulders and drawing her close.

The words were soft, as if she were afraid of creating sacrilege. ?Are you going to be all right??

?I think so.? Anakin?s gaze returned to the fire. The embers glowed in his bright blue eyes. ?We both lost someone in this ordeal, Sirceé, my mother, but you and I survived.?

?Yes.? She tried to search his eyes, but the distant gaze gave her precious little to evaluate.

"I was so afraid I had lost you too,? Anakin said finally. ?I never want to have to feel like that again."

Padmé fingered the edge of his dark brown tunic. "What are you saying?" she asked uncertainly even if deep down she knew the unspoken question.

Anakin studied the warm glow that danced over her features. "Marry me."

"They won't let you," she whispered.

"Then I will leave the Order."

?What about your hopes of becoming a Jedi??

?Jedi serve the Republic. I can still serve even if I am not one. I will be your protection.?

?I?ve already lost one body guard,? she said softly. ?I can?t lose you.?

?You won?t,? Anakin breathed as he leaned forward and kissed the beautiful Senator.

The Book of Being Alone

Qui-Gon had faced the Council?s inquisition on the events of the siege of the Senate building. He was forced to explain his apprentice?s absence in the chamber. Few things in his long life had been so difficult to admit but the master had spoken plainly about the death of his bond with the young man. He had asked that he and Anakin take extended leave of the Temple to heal and refocus on Anakin?s training. Reluctantly the Council had allowed it. Demanding regular reports on his progress. He knew they had been worried. He had only spoken to his padawan once after the action in the Senate. The boy was tending to the injured Naboo Senator but promised he would return to the Temple shortly.

A deep sigh from the very depths of his being broke free of the gray Jedi master. The Council made him explain Anakin?s need to ignore orders and fly off to the aid of one specific Senator numerous times. How little had he known, while he spoke Anakin had silently left the Temple for the last time.

It had been so difficult for the elder master to tell the Council how he had felt the flare of pure hatred from his padawan directed at a child. How the bond had been ruthlessly murdered moments before. Yet, Anakin had not harmed the small apprentice. At
  9. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    This was merely a setback, the older jedi had decided. He had always believed the Force introduced them for a reason. The boy was the chosen one and he would bring balance to the Force.

This is truly a Blind Master ( I will let Cyn come up with an appropriate sobriquet)

But Red, you really scared me at the beginning when the first words were about a funeral pyre. It took a few moments for my heart to start up again. Between you, AUF and Jacinta's little one shot story, I'm seeing dead Obi's around every corner!
  10. TheFallen Jedi Master

star 4
    You aren't the only one, Kitara - I officially freaked out when I read about the funeral pyre. :p Now tomorrow is the wrap up for Bali and Obi-Wan...

Oh, how I'm terrified to read, yet glued to the computer. [face_plain]
  11. Jadia Jedi Knight

Ok, don't mean to be pushy or ungrateful, but Obi? Bali? WHERE? No mention of them at all! A purposeful omitting of any reference to them! It's like picking the scab off of a day old wound! These next twenty-four hours are going to be very looooooooong.
  12. Darth_Yak Jedi Master

star 1
    Great post Red. It was good enough to keep us from going insane, yet still holds us in suspence... Wait a minute! Isn't this the second to the last post?!?! :_| I hate good byes. *breaks down sobbing*

You will not believe what I've gone through just to post this one reply. The day starts out and I'm hit with some sort of illness. I'm sick all through the morning and some of the afternoon. I start to feel better so my brother desides that he wants to hog the computer. *Grr!* Well, I finally bribed my bro into giving my a moment on the computer. And, as an effect of my illness, my eye site is all screwed up. I'm really having trouble seeing what I'm typing (and reading).

Luckly, it wasn't too bluring so I could read Red's post. Unluckly, it's getting worse, so I'm going to get off now.

Sorry, but The Picture Goddess is out of comision until further notice. :(
  13. Princess Padme Jedi Knight

star 1
    Qui-Gon's still alive then? Well there goes the noble sacrifice theory right out the window! I'm seriously feeling bad for him though. Can the guy ever keep a padawan? Sure it's mostly his fault and everything, but it's a little depressing. Especially when he goes into the room and sees it practically the same way as when Obi-Wan left. I don't know. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm listening to Goo Goo Dolls. Not that that should really have anything to do with it, although their songs are really good to listen to when I read this and... I'll shut up. Just waiting for the Obi scene now. Please let him be alive!! :(
  14. naw ibo Force Ghost

star 5
    All Qui and Anakin...so tomorrow is the day. Good post anyway though. ;)

I actually feel sort of sorry for the big lug. Although I don't know, I've got that sort of butterflies in the stomach feeling waiting for tomorrows final post.

I do have a new picture of Ewan(and his wife) from this past weekend at the IFP/Los Angeles Film Festival, seeing as the Picture Goddess seems to be out of commission for the evening(feel better quick :) ). They both have a slight "deer in the headlights" look but it's still a real nice picture of them. :D

[image=http://cache.eonline.com/Celebs/Outabout/Archive2002/Images/mcgregor.wife2.062502.jpg]
  15. Halcyon03 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Halcyon delurks....

Wow. Wow. Wow!

There's not much else to say. I know I haven't posted in awhile, but
    that's mainly because I've been too engrossed in this masterpiece.
    Ooh! The suspense! I really hope you aren't seriously
    considering killing off Obi-Wan Kenobi, RRK. I must admit, you
    have me on the edge of my seat (again!). Only one more post?!? Really???
    Aww... I AM going to suffer from withdrawal! And how many months
    til the next book? FOUR!?!?! Halcyon throws herself into the chair
    by her computer.
    "I'm camping right here!"

Not much else to say, Red, except that I hope the next post is
    nice and long! Excellent, excellent work! I will be
    eagerly awaiting the next chapter of this wonderful saga.

:D~~~~~~~~~ :D ~~~~~~~~~~ :D ~~~~~~~~ :D
  16. shanobi Jedi Master

star 4
    All i'm going to say to that is :eek: WOW :eek:

Awesome job RRK

I can't wait to read CYN's take on that one :D

Where are you CYN?

17. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    I've got to admit, I was surprised when Anakin left the Order. I thought he'd be more selfish and try to have it all.
    Anyway, POST! I want Obi/Bali! :D
  18. dparis Jedi Knight

star 3
    Japanesewatertorture

-_dparis
  19. Mysticshill Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow, awesome post! But.....what about Obi-Wan? I hope he is still alive and functioning. I can't wait for the next post.
  20. Sugar_Bear Force Ghost

star 3

It's hard not to feel a little sympathy for Qui-Gon, but the petty side of me is glad that he got his comeuppance. As the saying goes, "Pride goeth before a fall," but this stubborn master still has a snoot full, feebly declaring Anakin was not to blame for deserting a thirteen year old to a fate worse than death even though his heart told him otherwise.

The "chosen one" should be renamed the "cowardly one", for leaving Bali as shark bait for the demented Sith Lord and for not even mustering the courage for a face to face farewell to the man who gave him his freedom and the opportunity of a lifetime to become a Jedi knight.

Seriously dreading the worst case scenario of a heaven bound Obi leaving behind an adrift padawan with Qui more than willing and available to become a master again.

I keep reminding myself of Obi's constant reassurance to Bali that, "It will be all right, I promise." First and foremost, I wholeheartedly believe that Obi is a man of his word.

Very fine post, RRK! Wrapping things up neatly and setting wheels in motion for the turmoil ahead.
  21. Jedi_Knight_Hunter Jedi Master

star 4
    The Chosen Path is all about Bali facing the galaxy.

With or with out Obi. Speculation: master {insert comment from CYN here} no longer has a padawan. Bali may no longer have a master. Fortune save the galaxy.
  22. Jee-dai Jedi Knight

star 3
    I wonder how long into the future The Chosen Path takes place. For all we know, Obi-wan could be in a coma all throughout the Clone Wars and wake up in the Rebellion times. :p

Probably not though.

23. naw ibo Force Ghost

star 5
    Jedi Knight Hunter: Am purposely ignoring implications of your post as have feared such an outcome for long time. ;)

Onto something off topic--I looked at new covers for the next two Jedi Quest stories on Starwars.com. Notice no Obi-Wan on them. Now in the Jedi Apprentice series, as I recall nearly all the covers had Qui-Gon on them(just happens that JA #2 is on bookcase next to my desk and there is Qui-Gon and Xanatos, but no Obi and I believe book #4 only had Qui-Gon on it). In fact quite a few of them didn't have Obi-Wan on them, despite being the Jedi Apprentice of the title. Yet here we are four books into the JQ series and at least half the books don't even have Obi-Wan on the cover(I can't remember about the first two books and I know at least one of them did have Obi-Wan on it).

I don't know why I bother letting this stuff annoy me. :rolleyes:
  24. CYNICAL21 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, RED - you've stunned me again - not to mention scaring the bejesus out of me with that opening scene. But I have to point out that, although you imparted lots of information, the foreboding just got worse and worse - and worse.

We obviously can't count on canon here to assure that Obi survives, for this story is so AU that anything is possible. Having metaphorically killed off our hero once myself, I can attest to the fact that, sometimes, a plot device bites so hard and hangs on so tenaciously that it's just impossible to resist. So, although I keep reassuring myself otherwise, I am not entirely sure you won't kill him off - so let me just say up front that only the most evil, perverted author would do such a thing - and have the power to reduce ME to tears. Now you don't want to be known as evil and perverted, do you? :eek:

As per Master Tunnel Vision, all I can say is, AHEM - you don't tread on Superman's cape. I assume most of your readers are going to remember how a certain abandoned padawan felt when it was the Master who did the abandoning - and in a much more hateful, spiteful manner, if I recall correctly. At least, the Chosen Brat didn't knock his Master down in a fit of pique. Poetic justice, I say - with a capital P.J.

As for Anakin and Padme - sorry, Tim and all other Vader afficianados - but who really cares? As enabler and enablee, they deserve each other. :eek:

And finally, from a purely personal observation, may I say that I am stunned by the continuing growth of your ability to fascinate and edify and sink the hook of obsession into your readers. Although Unraveled still remains my favorite RRK story, I'm amazed by your growing skill in painting such vivid, emotional pictures for us all.

During the hiatus that we apparently must endure while you gird your proverbial loins for the next attack on our collective consciousness, I personally will miss not only the addictive qualities of your narrative, but the chance to watch your continuing development. You've always had the imagination needed to tell a whale of a good story; now, the craft to do it with skill and professionalism is growing apace.

Thanks for the ride. :)
  25. Marie_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    Jedi_Knight_Hunter--Why do I hate to admit I was thinking along the same lines? Red said it was all about Bali, but never mentioned anything about Obi. Then I see the funeral pyre thing and then further down the title The Book of Being Alone, and I'm scared silly! You can't DO that to me Red! I'm only 15 for Pete's sake, I don't need a heart attack!

Cyn--Amen to everything you said, Sista! :p

Great job on the post Red! I can't wait for tonight's post, even if I secretly dread it at the same time.

Edit: Yea! Not only am I the first on page 101, I also get the 2500th post!

Congratulations on so many RRK! :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.