main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Book of Paths: The Long Twilight Path

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by red rose knight, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_JediKnight

Rogue_JediKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Congratulations! - 100+ pages - too cool :cool:

I still can't believe it's coming to an end :_|. You've completely spoiled us - rotten I might add [face_mischief]

Rogue

2. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    You can start posting the next book by my birthday on August 3rd to make me happy. [face_mischief] I'm so easily satisfied... :D

3. sabercrazy

sabercrazy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    RED, I'm still way too stunned to say much...but with all the shocking posts...and depending on how big of a cliff you leave us dangling from...AND what you wind up doing to Obi...it will not be a matter of whether or not we kill you...but of just how painful your death will be...

4. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Hey, All. Red - I cannot believe that I am about to walk out of here - and will not have computer access again until tomorrow. I don't see why I should have to attend a stupid family wedding instead of being able to stay home like a sensible person to ready the final installment of this monster fic. Grrrr! :(

Anyway, I'm counting on you, Girl. Consider this a mind whammy: You will NOT kill Obi-Wan. You will NOT kill Obi-Wan!!! Got it? Of course, considering that I just killed off - Ummm, never mind. To find out - you'll have to read it. Sorry - CYN's evil twin checking in there.

Anyway, I'm off - and, for those who are interested, THL is almost done - down to one more post, probably Monday, but maybe tomorrow, if I can get to it.

And FF.N is still eating my lunch.

Night, All.

CYN

5. Darth_Yak

Darth_Yak Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    Well, I'm feeling better today... Not that anyone cares! :_| *sigh*

Anyhoo, I'm really looking forward to your post, Red. :) I'm sad that the story is ending but I also need some answers to the many, many questions you've brought up. (Please be alive Obi. Please, please, please!!!)

I'm going now. Just wanted to let ya'll know that I was still alive and that my eye site has returned to full streangth. That is if anyone wanted to know. *sigh* :( :_|

[image=http://quiobitemple2.homestead.com/files/epIIpics/obibluescreen.jpg]

6. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    We ALL care DARTH_YAK ! :D Ok Red I adore Bali as much as the next gal but if The Chosen Path is about him minus his Master because a certain author kills him off I don't think I"ll be able to read it! MAKE US CRY HAPPY TEARS OKAY?

7. LittleGreenTroll

LittleGreenTroll Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2002
    Ok, I just came from a birthday party and now I am waiting for another- no not another- for the finale post of TLTP. Oh my goodness! I don't want this story to end! Almost every night (even after long parties) I sat in front of my computer and waited patiently ;) for another post. What shall I do now? This is like a mechanism. Uhoh! I see a very disturbed LittleGreenTroll walking to the computer tomorrow night, and the night after tomorrow and so on. I do not think, that I can get used to the "empty" nights again (my boyfriend would love to kiss your feet for finishing this story ;) )

But all I wanted to say, was that this second part of the trilogy (?) is much better than AOTC. I loved your twists and turns and your portray of a grumpy Obi-Wan Kenobi. Your characters developed (I missed that during AOTC) and gained more and more shape during your posts.
    I hope, that you will post the next installment of your trilogy pretty soon! :)

Obi rocks! :p

LittleGreenTroll

EDIT:
    OH Red? Where are you? It is getting too late for me...But I won't be able to sleep without the finale- what a weird vicious cricle

8. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    PadawanKitara? But Red, you really scared me at the beginning when the first words were about a funeral pyre.

You all get panicked way too easily. 8-} I haven?t even gotten to the bad stuff yet.

Darth_Yak? I'm sick all through the morning and some of the afternoon.

Hope you?re feeling better!

Halcyon03? I hope the next post is
    nice and long!

Well, not long. I tried but it ties up everything?well at least a little bit. :D

Sugar_Bear? The "chosen one" should be renamed the "cowardly one"

[face_laugh] He was, wasn?t he?

Jedi_Knight_Hunter? With or with out Obi. Speculation: master {insert comment from CYN here} no longer has a padawan. Bali may no longer have a master. Fortune save the galaxy.

I?m getting predictable.

Jee-dai? I wonder how long into the future The Chosen Path takes place.

Six years or so. Imagine, a nineteen year old Bali with his good genes? [face_love]

naw ibo? I looked at new covers for the next two Jedi Quest stories on Starwars.com. Notice no Obi-Wan on them.

You know, as far as the JA books go, someone ought to write Jude Watson and thank her for her Qui-centric story telling. If not for her relegating the padawan to secondary character status. Without the frustration caused by her writing I don?t think there would be quite the fanfic base. I have a feeling the JQ books and her story telling with Anakin apparently running around with an incompetent master is going to inspire the same kind of fanfics again. Besides, fanfic is free and there is a lot just as good as her stuff. Sorry. I just get hacked off about that too.

CYNICAL21? I am not entirely sure you won't kill him off - so let me just say up front that only the most evil, perverted author would do such a thing - and have the power to reduce ME to tears. Now you don't want to be known as evil and perverted, do you?

While I don?t think I?m that perverted, I like being called evil. I?m often called that. Just the other day, (a non SW person) called a co-worker of mine the dark lord and I?m her apprentice. I?m learning to be evil from the best. 8-}

As for Anakin and Padme - sorry, Tim and all other Vader afficianados - but who really cares? As enabler and enablee, they deserve each other.

You might since they are going to be in the next story too.

During the hiatus that we apparently must endure while you gird your proverbial loins for the next attack on our collective consciousness, I personally will miss not only the addictive qualities of your narrative, but the chance to watch your continuing development. You've always had the imagination needed to tell a whale of a good story; now, the craft to do it with skill and professionalism is growing apace.

[face_blush] You give me way to much credit. Trying to write an original manuscript I?m like a fish tossed on a carpet, gasping and flopping about making a big mess and accomplishing nothing. Give me GL?s world to screw up and I do okay. I admit what my writing looks like now compared to over a year ago when I walked away from my writings is a big leap.

Marie_Kenobi? Yea! Not only am I the first on page 101, I also get the 2500th post!

I remember being happy when I got any replies between chapters. Wow! Thanks everyone for making this thread so huge.

TheFallen? You can start posting the next book by my birthday on August 3rd to make me happy.

August 3rd! EEEEKK! I?ll be lucky to have a complex outline by then. Try September 3rd or October 3rd maybe. :) I?ll keep you up to date when the first postie goes up.

sabercrazy? I'm still way too stunned to say much...but with all the shocking posts...and depending on how big of a cliff you leave us dangling from...AND what you wind up doing to Obi...it will not be a matter of whether or not we kill you...but of just how painful your death will be...

Yes, but if you do it

9. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001

The Book of Not Being Alone

A freshly cleaned and polished PodBot traveled through the corridor of the healing center. Salmon colored hands held the small, dinged body. The black and gold antenna flopped lifelessly over Bant?s fingers as she turned the little inactive droid about. ?Why am I not surprised you are in no better shape?? Silver eyes studied the limp antenna and a new, large dent on the droid?s underbelly. Receiving no answer, she sighed and entered a private healing room.

Bant?s gaze immediately settled on the medical sleep couch. The sight inspired a small smile.

Curled up under the covers, in the calm of sleep, lay a small padawan. At the edge of the bed, the healer stopped and pulled a medical data pad from the tray over the sleep couch. Flipping through a few screens and adding a notation of her own, she slowly sank to the chair that had become a permanent fixture next to Bali?s bed. Seeking the small hand that peeked out from beneath the warm covers, she shoved the green Warbler into Bali?s grip.

?I suppose this is a waste of my breath because you?re not going to hear a word I say,? she paused to eye the unconscious boy. ?Keeper Vu?et did his best to patch the little beast up. He said its internal systems were melted.? She flicked the droid?s one gold antenna. ?Lucky for Warbler, its an electrician bot. Its little brain has extra shielding against electrical surges. Vu?et said it was acting weird, but that could be normal Warbler. Just in case, don?t activate it until you leave here.?

Suddenly becoming quiet, the healer carefully looked over the boy?s medical charts again. Thank the Force everything appeared fine. All his vitals continued to strengthen with each passing day. Through the Force, she could sense Bali pulling toward consciousness. Resting a healing hand against the boy?s shoulder, she whispered, ?Take your time, okay? Don?t rush. Give yourself a chance to heal.?

The healer knew, no matter how long she lived, the sight of singed, severely injured padawan had been heart wrenching. Yet, it was nothing compared to the barely conscious weeping pleas for his master.

At first, she feared more than his body was damaged but mind healers, to the best of their knowledge believed there was no physical damage but they wouldn?t know for sure until he regained consciousness. The healer in her and her faith in the Force reassured her the boy would be fine.

Of course, she would just have to be patient, something she knew the Council was also having trouble with. They couldn?t wait to get their hooks into him to see what he could tell them about his suspected Sith attacker.

Suspected because no one knew.

Silently she swore as long as she could use her medical override to protect him from the inquisition, she would.

Out of the corner of one silvery eye, she caught a glimpse of a little steady red light glowing under a bedside table. An irritated breath escaped the Mon Cal as she slipped out of the chair to her knees and strained to reach the object that had her attention. Holding her prize in her open palm, Bant studied the vitals sensor wristband. It appeared to be working but the clasp was shattered. Stuffing the band into her smock?s left pocket, she pulled a brand new band out of her right one.

?The healer padawans on rotation must have grown tired of running in here every time the sensor logs report you?ve died. Next time I come in here, you will probably be sprawled out on the floor dead for an hour before anyone notices.? She waited; hoping for a gruff growl but even that was denied her. ?Oh, just you be stubborn.?

Fighting the frustration that so easily welled up in her, the healer leapt to her feet, replaced Bali?s charts and stomped across the small room to the abnormally large window on the opposite wall. Never for a moment did she take her gaze from the cloaked Jedi who quietly watched the distant traffic lines. Well, at least she imagined he was watching something instead of staring aimlessly out.

?Don?t ignore me, Obi,? she war

10. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    Oh dear force, now I'm going to have to wait until OCTOBER with the rest of them to be able to know what happened to him?! :_|

I'm going to die from oxygen deprivation by then.

11. gennia

gennia Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2002
    omg RRK, I don't know what to say...I truly don't. That was amazing. I'll be waiting here by the computer for the new teasers! Wait, I must go kill Qui-Gon first. BRB.

12. tolwin

tolwin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    I have a feeling that the next couple of months are going to pass very slowly...

13. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    I knew you were going to do this to me! :_| Ok so maybe he isn't in great shape but there's hope right? I'm glad you didn't kill him off and I hope he will be able to council Bali in the future. There are no words to describe how this story and this ending have made me feel Red. September is much to far away and yes it helps that Bali has a cleft chin! I wonder wher he gets that from? :D Thank you for a beautiful story and for writing about Obi with respect and love! [face_love]

14. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I finally get to reply to the last post and all I can give you at this point is an incoherrent "ohhh."

I half expected to Obi-Wan as a vegetable. It's nice to see him walking and (sort of)functioning. Now I wait 2-3 months to find out how much of that beautiful mind is left.

15. Marie_Kenobi

Marie_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2002
    [face_shocked] [face_plain] :( :_|

Red! Oh Force, so you kept him alive, but, but...Oh Force! I can't believe you're going to make us wait so Sithin' long for the next part!

Thank you for a wonderful story! You wrenched my heart there! But I'm so sad it's over! :( :_|

16. Jadia

Jadia Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2001
    Ooh, still left a lot of loose ends, didn't you? Figures...

Red, for the past five months, this story has been a constant part of my life. I'd look forward to your everyday posts, and sometimes, it made the difference between having a bad day and a really bad day. Though these past few days have been rather trying, more often than not the posts have been real pick-me-uppers. This is beyond entertainment. You've outdone yourself, once again, and we can only sit in expectation waiting for the next four months.

Wonderful job. Oh, by the way, THANK YOU FOR NOT KILLING OBI! You had me very worried, sly. It is going to be quite a journey from here, though. :)

17. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    Wow.

How can it be over? :eek:

I can't wait four months. That's just not an option. You must post sooner. :p

Geeze, we gots Ani easy pickins for Palps. Obi is re-tah-did and with an American accent. :p Bali will still be annoying.... :p Warbler's not dead... ;) and Qui-Gon is about one step from a mental institution mumbling to himself about the chosen one. Veniger may or may not be dead. We still don't have any definate answers on whether Bali has special parents.....gah.

Four months is TOO long. :p

18. JediCandy

JediCandy Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    Oh, man. Is this gonna be the longest several months or what??!! sigh....

Well...come on Obi, you can beat this! (I hope---<<chin quiver>>)

Qui-Gon needs to come to his senses. He abandoned Obi before. Now Obi needs help and I am sure Qui could help if he will DO it (not TRY.....).

One thing for sure...Qui-Gon taught Anakin very well....he certainly taught him how to abandon his responsibilities when something more "desired" comes along...

JediCandy

ps. hey, red. Perhaps you might pity us poor readers and throw out occasional tidbits during the time you are writing The Chosen Path. You know, kind of snapshot bits and pieces of Obi's apprenticeship to Qui, Anakin's apprenticeship, Bali's apprenticeship---past, present, future, whatever---just to keep us from going into convulsions due to "Path" withdrawal...

19. Jedi Susie

Jedi Susie Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2000
    It actually took me a while to get a chance to write a post because I was stunned into silence with this last one. I kind of thought you wouldn't kill off Obi-Wan because he would be needed in some way to help Bali a bit. Yet, I also knew that something, obviously, HAD to happen to him after saving his apprentice.

I never knew how heart-wrenching you could have made it though.

Oh my goodness. That last post made me stomach drop to my knees with the way that you described Obi-Wan and how he currently is. To go from a Knight, who, yes had a suicide wish, but was so talented to...this. It's a tragedy. Worse of all, you wrote Obi-Wan so well that I always picture Ewan totally in the role and now I picture him as this Obi-Wan. Even more tragic. You can practically see this poor, shivering Master in this Healer's Ward with Bali just lying there and Bant looking worriedly between the two.

And, even before that post, you had the broken down Qui-Gon. As much as he was blind to Anakin and hurt Obi-Wan, you still wrote his ending in such a way that I felt my heart go to him to. The only ones who ended up fine in this whole mess were Padme and Anakin (save for the deaths of those close to them). To me, Anakin was the least deserving too.

However, my heart still goes out to Obi-Wan who, I know I'm not the only one either, I just want to get better. After all you've put him through you just want him to have a break. A chance, even, He had five years with Bali and you just want everything to work out for them, SO badly. Only you have the power to do that, though, Red. :)

I congratulate you on a wonderful fic. It was such an amazing read and unlike anything that I've ever read before. The characterization with Lucas' characters was right on and the new ones you brought in were down just as well. I think I've said it before, but I was watching EPII and expected Bali to come on screen. This is how well your work is.

I, like all your readers, cannot wait for the next story because I am dying to know what is going to happen with everyone that we've come to know and love. I know you're going to deliver something just as wonderful as this work.

Thank you, Red, for a terrific story.

20. Mysticshill

Mysticshill Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2001
    I really have to say that your fics are probably the best I have ever read. I'm soooo looking forward to the next book.

What you did to Obi-Wan was really sad....but I'm really happy that he is alive and somewhat whole. I think he should be able to pull out of this with the help of Bali, Qui-Gon, Yoda, and Bant. That's my hope at any rate.

Thanks for an amazing story, your so cool!

21. Darth_Yak

Darth_Yak Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    -fin- fin? FIN?!?! How can that end there?!!??!!!???!!!!! Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

He struggled against the crippling injury he had willingly accepted in trade for the boy?s life.

Crippling injury?!?! What?!?! Is his slurred speach perminent? Is there something more to this "crippling injury"? Does this mean that he can't continue traning Bali?

My mind is in such a wirlwind of questions I can't even ask them all! This is such a cliffhanger. You're just evil Red. Purly evil. [face_devil] But I wouldn't have you any other way. :D This was an amazing story. You better get the next book out soon before we all go insane! I'm looking forward to the teaser. :) That might hold us off for a bit. :p

obi_ew- Thanks for letting me know that I'm appreciated. :)

[image=http://quiobitemple.homestead.com/files/obisaberblue.jpg]

I, The Picture Goddess, might not be able to post as much as I have been lately. Even though it's summer I've been very busy. Besides, I don't want to spoil ya'll now do I. [face_devil] I'll try to keep the pics coming though. ;)

22. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Oh not five months Red, not five months--by that time we're all sure to be quivering, quaking fools unable to be much more coherent than Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan at the moment.

Speaking of which, I agree with whoever said that this could be an excellent chance for Qui-Gon to make a little good where Obi-Wan is concerned and somehow help him a bit on the path to wellness(or at least quite a bit better than he is now). I'm surprised he is up and about in any condition even the one he's in, I'd really thought we couldn't expect better than comatose.

Heartwrenching, absolutely heartwrenching. It was so easy to envision that scene, everything about it. And you left us with so many questions, you really are evil! Our fingers are sure to be raw hanging off this cliff until the next story.

Thank you so much for this story, RRK. It's been absolutely brilliant reading.

23. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Wow, RRK. Just wonderful, really. :) As always, I look forward to the next story.

Congratulations! :D

24. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    I'm lapsing into a trembling mass already. :(

25. fanofewans

fanofewans Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2001
    ::looks stunned:::

Oh boy...i forsee a painfully long wait for the next episode in this fantastic story.

On the other hand..at least they're all still alive..including little Warbler.

Waiting with baited breath to see where you take us from here. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.