main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Book of Paths: The Long Twilight Path

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by red rose knight, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    poor obi is missing something in his bond with bali, since he is unable to help force heal even the smallest wound without agonizing pain. till tommorrow RRK.

2. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That was so sweet. It's nice to see Obi-Wan smiling again. Even if he doesn't explain the stone to Bali, I'm sure the kid will figure it out eventually. It took Obi-Wan quite some time to really understand it's meaning. ( I mean emotionally)

3. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    That was sweet, but a little sad too. It reminds me of my own actions with my son. I still occaisionaly peek in to see him sleeping and I can't quite resist fiddling with his hair. Poor Obi(TM), it's a shame he can't heal Bali without intense pain. I wonder if Bali will understand about the rock.

4. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    Yet again, as I did so many times on AUP:

Poor Obi.

He is just a good natured guy. But the things he is put through. He should really have some mental problems with that non healing thing going on and his messed up Master (we won't mention his name); and with Maya - If The Mask Fits - and Keiara - Ruins of Love- both dying off.

He get's no love and is forced to be tortured.

But he's cute so that makes up for it.

Kinda.

Bali is such a great padawan. He is so in tune with his master and vice versa. I can't wait to see his reaction when he sees the riverstone in his hand. It will be priceless.

Loved it RRK [face_love]

And RRK: if this were a movie, who would you cast as the 8 year olf Bali Tiro and the 13 year old Bali?

5. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    I don't know whether to cheer or cry at the thought of a third book. I mean, I love your story, but reading them is like being addicted.

That is true Shadows-2005. It's back to the daily grind of "Oh my god I need another hit!". We're all trainspotters for the TLTP Express. I actually look so forward to reading these stories everyday.

RRK, Cynical21 is absolutely right. You are truly so talented.

The Book of the Ties that Bind was so excellent. the river stone at the end was completely unexpected. So it's Bali's birthday. :)

I can't remember the teasers, someone mentioned something about them in another post so I'll have to read them again to see if there is anything about the stone in terms of whether or not Bali realizes it's importance. But, in either case, it's really special for Obi-Wan to give it to Bali.

The pain he feels in even trying to heal the smallest wound is so sad. He shouldn't have done it, he's right, but then again, it isn't exactly surprising that he did. He is Obi-Wan after all. ;)

I also see Obi-Wan is still dealing with his back problems from that long ago mission(it must be about 6 years ago now? I seem to remember it being mentioned that it happened about a year or so before the events of AUP) But that's why we love him isn't it? So long suffering. Maybe we even get to hear about that mission someday, huh? :)

Yeah, Jira. I think Jira is most likely good hearted(if all that well meaning annoyingness isn't just an act), but seriously, she's already annoying. LOL! Good job.(and I do not mean that sarcastically)

6. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001
    Very touching and charming interaction between Obi-Wan and Bali!

My heart aches for the gentle soul you've created in the young Jedi master. He was so somber in AUP and now five years later, I still sense a little bleakness in his character.

As always, you do brilliant work!

7. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    I just realized something. According to TF.n it is actually only 100 days until AOTC's release. But there have only been three posts on this story and supposedly there are going to be over 100 Books. That would take the story until past AOTC's release day.

Maybe on some really special days, RRK could post two Books. Huh huh, maybe, ya think? ;)

::ahem:: I mean just so the story ends right before AOTC, as originally planned.

:)

8. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Better and better.

You have a real gift for evoking the emotional ambiance of every scene you write.

Keep it coming - and I will endeavor to do the same, although no way I'm ever going to be as fast as you at turning it out.

9. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I gotta say it too: Awwwwwww!

I love the interaction between Obi-Wan and Bali. Very cute.

10. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    write some more soon.

11. TorontoJediMaster

TorontoJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2001
    I think that Obi-Wan's inability to heal Bali is a remnant from Naboo, when he practically drained himself in healing Qui-Gon after he was wounded by Darth Maul. It was that action which put Obi-Wan into a coma. That is also why Bant and other healers are unable to use the Force to heal Obi-Wan. They have to use more conventional methods with him.

As for the warning, I think that it's going to be misinterpreted. He was warning that they have to kill Palpatine. IMO, they'll misunderstand that, and believe they have to prevent the killing of Palpatine. This will be reinforced by what's happened at Coruscant. Padme was the target -IMO- of the assassination attempt. Now, the Jedi will believe that Palpatine was the real target.

As for Palpatine himself, my bet is that he's been using the interim years to train a new Sith apprentice.

12. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Megz110--I guess the, what, five years of being a master have softened our Jedi up a bit, huh?

Bali has been good medicine for his master.

ThatJediGirl--if this were a movie, who would you cast as the 8 year olf Bali Tiro and the 13 year old Bali?

That is a hard question. I don't know, I just had the idea of a little initiate. He took shape all of his own. All I can say is even though he is 13 he looks a little younger just because he is still small for his age.

naw ibo--Maybe we even get to hear about that mission someday, huh?

How about tomorrow?

I just realized something. According to TF.n it is actually only 100 days until AOTC's release.

I got my math wrong. Well, we will see what happens. I don't think I will be able to function too well for a little while after AOTC hits the theatres. I really would like to finish it while focused.

CYNICAL21--I will endeavor to do the same, although no way I'm ever going to be as fast as you at turning it out.

It helps that I have a complete rough draft and to torture everyone with short chapters. :D

Well, now for the moment you all have been waiting for: Qui-Gon and Anakin have arrived. ;)

13. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001

The Book of Arrivals

Two tall, hooded figures glided silently through the debris-strewn corridor of the Senate office building. Their varied brown cloaks flowed in the breeze created by their swift movement. No notice was taken of the soft murmurs floating in the hall from the multitude of alien creatures clinging to open doorways and intersections.

"Reports are coming in?"

"It was the secessionists?"

"Madness, it is all madness?"

"Where were they?"

"Should have known the Jedi would show up late."

The Jedi stopped before the protected corridor that opened into the Chancellor's private office. Four heavily armed guards, weapons at ready, blocked the entrance.

"You will let us pass," the slightly taller of the two figures said.

Without any hesitation, the guards quickly stepped to the side allowing a narrow path for the Jedi to pass through.

With their cloaks sweeping out at the edges of the narrowed corridor the Jedi stepped into the demolition area that had been Palpatine's office. A portable generator had already sealed the exterior as crews worked to replace the melted transparasteel wall. More crews worked to repair the deep gouges left in the floor and walls as others brought in replacement carpet to cover the work.

More armed guards were posted around the massive office. Outside, stepped up patrols slowly flew around the building.

"I will not leave," the defiant voice of the Supreme Chancellor rang out.

"Your safety, Chancellor," Mas Amedda pleaded as he turned his attention away from orchestrating the clean up of the office to the elder man.

Palpatine rose unsteadily from his chair sitting next to the burned up remains of his desk. A deep gash ran across his cheek. The bleeding had been staved off but the wound remained dark and angry. "I am well protected," he said as he spied his new arrivals. "The Coruscant patrol and the Senatorial Guard are hunting these attackers down. It is unlikely a follow up attack will occur anytime soon." He swept his hand across the damaged room. "Look at this mess, they expected one attack to finish the deed. Hiding now would only show fear. That is not the image I chose to show."

"Chancellor," Amedda argued.

"I will hear no more," Palpatine ordered with a wave of his hand. Turning his back to Amedda, he walked to the two arrivals. Greeting the tall figures, Palpatine forced a weak laugh. "You will have to excuse my office. It seems I am in the midst of spontaneous redecorating."

The cloaked figures lowered their cowls, revealing the more salt than pepper image of Qui-Gon Jinn and his eighteen-year-old apprentice, Anakin Skywalker.

"Chancellor," Qui-Gon said, formally bowing with Anakin quickly following suit.

"Master Jinn and young Skywalker, indeed I must be blessed," Palpatine replied with a weary smile.

"We were nearby," Anakin offered, "and witnessed the attack." His bright blue eyes quickly swept the office before settling on the older gentleman before him. "I hope there were no injuries."

Palpatine motioned to his gashed cheek. "Merely cuts and bruises and rattled nerves." With a flourish of his dark robes, he led the two men deeper into his shattered office. "The Guard of course are in pursuit. These assassins will not get away." He said with conviction, placing great faith the investigative skills of the Senate guard.

Almost as soon as silence had fallen between the three men, Anakin's attention drifted as Qui-Gon fell into step beside the Chancellor. They paced quietly through the office toward a large black table. The apprentice allowed his thoughts to wander as they too often did these days.

Through the unlimited flow of the Force, he could see the damage beneath the hasty repairs. They were just masking the ruin and devastation under a pretty façade.

Padawan.

Anakin turned slightly to see his master quietly conversing with the Chancellor but did not attempt to approach. Instead, he turned his attention back to the room.

There was somet

14. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    Gee, Anakin's only been in one post, and already I don't like him!!

I guess I'll just have to get ready for future Ani-threating..... [face_mischief]

15. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Ah, finally we get to see Qui-Gon and Ani. I really hope Amidala blows Ani off. I cant wait to see how Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan react to each other. Has their relationship warmed up any over the years? Good post as always, cant wait for more :)

16. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Ah, finally. My two heroes arrive. ;) (running quickly from a deluge of overly mature veggies) ;)

17. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    just enough to keep us drooling, and coming back for more ;)

18. Megz110

Megz110 Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2002
    Enter Qui and Anikin stage right.

All I can say-don't like Ani

Now the next big milestone I look forward to is the meeting between Qui and Obi...

Great post, as always, cannot wait for more :D

19. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Great post, already not liking Ani much. He's just got this vibe about him, I don't know what it is. ;)

Well, going by the teasers, it seems that Bali doesn't even know who Qui-Gon is, so I somehow doubt Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's relationship has warmed up. Unless that particular teaser was from a flashback scene of some sort.

Anyone catch Entertainment Tonight, gave us some quick glimpses of the Vanity Fair AOTC issue. Two shots of Obi-Wan. One of a blue screen work of one of his patented split kicks(gotta love 'em) and another very sighable portrait of Obi-Wan, hood up but face visible, 3/4 shot looking at the camera. ::sighhhh:: :D

naw ibo--Maybe we even get to hear about that mission someday, huh?

How about tomorrow?

Eek!! Seriously?!?! Ack, I've been waiting for this for about what is it now, 5 months? :D LOL!

I got my math wrong. Well, we will see what happens. I don't think I will be able to function too well for a little while after AOTC hits the theatres. I really would like to finish it while focused.

Right, so of course, we'll just have to suffer thought occassional multiple books. Shame.... ;) Only is you have the time of course.

20. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I can't decide if Amidala doesn't recognize Ani or is ignoring hm on purpose. Either way, she seems to be focusing exclusively on Qui-Gon and ignoring his apprentice.

Is that because of his attitude, or is it something else?

21. TorontoJediMaster

TorontoJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2001
    I think that Padme is ignoring Anakin, perhaps because she doesn't realize who he is. Or -more likely, IMO- she's just trying to act nonchalant. She doesn't want to let on too much.

I see all the Anakin bashers from the last fic are up in arms again. I like to keep this in mind: this is an AU. What happened in OT canon might not necessarily happen here. In canon, Qui-Gon died, and Obi-Wan was Anakin's master. Perhaps now, Palpatine will also act differently, and seek out a different apprentice -perhaps Bali.

I don't see what's so bad about Anakin in this fic. He's acting like a normal 18 year old. He's seen someone who's important to him -for the first time in 9 years, don't forget. I think this will be interesting. We might get to see Qui-Gon acting more in his role as parent and maybe giving him some advice on how to act around Padme.

Or maybe, just maybe, Anakin will talk to Obi-Wan about Padme. Obi-Wan is a lot closer to him in age than Qui-Gon.

I like the part with Palaptine's incompetent aide. I think she's genuinely a nice person; she's just unaware of what she's doing. I think her lusting after Obi-Wan is hilarious.

22. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Ah finally we meet Qui and Ani-right in the middle of intrigue.... cool! :D

23. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Will you STOP????? How am I ever going to write Ani sympathetically (which I might want to do someday) if you continually make him such a snake. And, yes, I know he hasn't done anything yet - except be his own oily self - but we know it's coming, don't we?

And, of course, you know me -- Jinn isn't my favorite person either. I figure it will take roughly four more posts before I'm ready to take a Sith's lightsaber to the Master - and a horsewhip to the Padawan.

Ah, but you're painting an intriguing landscape here - laying a marvelous foundation for the deeply engaging story that lies ahead. I can't wait.

And, BTW, you KNOW your story is really GOOD, if you've got ME posting here!!!

24. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Poor Anakin, he hasn't really done anything yet besides get the hots for a certain Senator. 8-}

naw ibo--Right, so of course, we'll just have to suffer thought occassional multiple books. Shame....

Well at least you are taking the news well. :)

TorontoJediMaster--I like the part with Palaptine's incompetent aide.

See! Someone likes her!

CYNICAL21--I figure it will take roughly four more posts before I'm ready to take a Sith's lightsaber to the Master - and a horsewhip to the Padawan.

You have great self control, I didn't figure you would last that many posts. :D

I thank everyone for all the wonderful replies.

Now, you all remember in AUP where Obi-Wan briefly remembers a mission that went wrong...

25. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001

The Book of Flesh and Bone Part I

Rage.

Pain.

Pain.

Pain.

Stealing his breath a jumble of emotions flooded together in one agony filled cry.

He was completely helpless to stop it.

And for once, he did not want to.

Imprisoned in the moment, it was the only thing Obi-Wan could control. It would not make the pain go away. It would not change what had happened.

But he could control his cries.

He could scream if he wanted to.

His vision swam and showed no signs of improvement as long as he howled in agony.

That was all he wanted.

Just to scream until he no longer possessed a voice. Until he was no longer strong enough to keep screaming. His cries drowned out the whispers of the dramatic failure that encroached in his wounded thoughts.

So, he screamed to drown out the physical and mental pain that was quickly crushing his spirit. Even a little pain was a weight he could no longer bear.

He continued to scream until his throat and bruised lungs could no longer handle the torture and he sank into an uncertain silence. His weary mind drifted to the edge of unconsciousness floating precariously between dream and the waking nightmare.

The cold was making his sore lungs ache with every shallow breath.

The warmth and protection of his cloak was gone and he no longer possessed the strength to search for something else to warm him.

For a long time, he just focused on each stilted breath. The air that flowed in and out of his lungs was life. With every excruciating gasp of air, he drew a little more strength. Calling softly to the Force for help in this terrible moment, he welcomed the comfort it offered.

The mission may have ended in failure but it was not over. Obi-Wan silently promised to see it to its conclusion. He had to go on.

A weak smile crossed his pale lips as the awesome power of the Force began to ease some of the pain. Even if it was just a little bit, he was thankful.

After a while the unsteady hum of the ancient Golian transport became a dull roar against the back of his head. His salvation, Obi-Wan thought dully. Or the instrument of a long, drawn out death.

Still, the knight was mercifully thankful to the captain who remained sequestered in the cockpit.

The tears slowly cleared, leaving their salty trail clinging to the sides of his face. Slowly Obi-Wan focused on the dingy ceiling he helplessly stared up at. The powerfully uneven vibration of the durasteel floor he laid on did not help the terrible ache that radiated through his body. The mind-numbing source radiated from his spine making movement difficult at best.

At least he hoped it was only pain that kept him frightfully still

The slightest muscle twitch set his body on fire. The Jedi grunted and gritted his teeth as he carefully sought out the source of the pain. He was one massive bruise. What little he could see of his tunic without moving was singed, dirty and blood stained.

Separating his thoughts from his surroundings, Obi-Wan slowly closed his eyes and focused on slow, steady breaths. He accepted the pain that radiated throughout his injured form and released it into the Force until all that remained was the deep throb in the center of his back. When he had become sufficiently relaxed, he focused his attention at his feet still secure within his boots. Then slowly, with teeth gritted, he wiggled his toes.

A deep sigh of relief at the movement immediately turned into a flood of pain.

It had been a long fall.

A few broken ribs, a broken arm?no, just fractured?everything else just hurt terribly. He tried to roll onto his side but the movement brought a squelched cry.

One.

Two?

Two fractured vertebrae. Just fractured, right?

Carefully he called on the Force to probe the injury further.

Fractured, he sighed. His strength long ago sapped as he allowed himself to slip toward blissful unconsciousness.

The fall had not been so bad. The abrupt stop was what had really hurt.

Slowly he became aware of t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.