main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Book of Paths: The Long Twilight Path

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by red rose knight, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    You know, I just realized something.

Writing Star Wars is a lot easier than it would be trying to portray it on the screen. I mean, what with all of these 'bonds', such as in the scene where Obi-Wan strangles his bond with Bali. How would you ever portray that on film?? After all is said and done, I rather think if it came down to either watching the movies or reading fic, I'd rather choose fic. So much more description and whatnot.

Okay, this is what taking Nyquill and staying awake gets me, I'm just bored now. :)

2. Jedi Susie

Jedi Susie Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2000
    Well, my class was cancelled and instead of reading, I'll jump into topic again.

NI-good to see you too- I also agree with the fact that Obi shouldn't just forgive Qui because, if you really look at it, the lightsaber incident aside, Qui-Gon DID nearly kill Obi-Wan. By abandoning him and then never speaking to him, he caused his padawan to alienate himself. Of course, Qui knew what missions Obi went on...maybe not ALL the facts (the painful ones at that) but he had to be aware. BY never offering help, in ANY sense, Qui-Gon simply put one more nail in Obi's coffin. Thank GOODNESS for Bali.

However, I just keep hoping that somehow they find their way back together, if nothing more than because of how you could imagine them to have been. I have no doubt that they were, at one time, close---father and son---and to see that destroyed is very depressing. I'm wondering if perhaps something that happens (be it with Anakin or Palpatine) will cause Obi to finally come to his Master.

If Anakin is to turn to the Dark side in RRK Path series, then just think of what tht would do to Qui-Gon...? Obi-Wan may be cold to his Master (with good reason) but he is not cruel. If Qui-Gon ever became as broken as Obi-Wan was the first 2/3rds of AUP then I imagine Obi-Wan would help him. THings, I think, will NEVER be the same between the two, but they could get better.

As for the "kill Palpatine" information, I think you are right. They would probably be something on the chips. **thinks long and hard about it** Can I still kill him anyway? :D

Sorry for writing so much again. I come in here after a week like gang-busters...whoops!

3. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    I am glad everyone is enjoying this story. I still can't believe it has gotten such a great reception.

TorontoJediMaster?I think that Palpatine is going to be a big factor in Anakin's fate

Oh, yes, our favorite politician has some devious machinations in the works for Anakin. He isn?t ignoring Obi-Wan and Bali either. Palpatine has returned with a vengeance and everyone is going to suffer. [face_devil]

JediSusie?Glad you could make it! :D Don't worry about writing long posts. It is a sport in this thread.

CYNICAL21?RRK - we seem to be ranting an awful lot on your board. Sorry to monopolize so much space.

While everyone looks forward to the next post, I look forward to the next series of rants. It gives me something to think about when I am writing the "subtlety" of each scene.

Thank you, Everyone. Thank you. [face_smile]

4. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001

The Book of Advancing and Retreating

The corridor outside the Chancellor's office was slightly cleaner than it had been when Obi-Wan and Bali had arrived.

The older Jedi internally reviewed the details of the meeting he had just left. As often as he had been forced to deal with Palpatine, he had never been able to get past that elusive feeling of distrust.

Palpatine was a politician and that was reason enough. There was always an ulterior motive to even the most innocent of actions.

There was a price to pay for successfully completing most of his missions. It had earned him the Chancellor's regard and made him number one on the politician's request list.

The Master was weary of dealing with the politicians and the dark underbelly of Republic politics. It had been over a year since he and his apprentice had mediated anything simple like a labor dispute.

The Republic was faltering and the Jedi were racing about the galaxy attempting to patch small leaks in a quickly decaying dam.

He folded his arms into the billowing sleeves of his cloak, fighting back a chill.

As they walked quietly through the office building, Obi-Wan glanced down at the dark haired apprentice with the ginger flame tipped padawan braid.

While they were before the Council, Obi-Wan decided that he would request some down time. Bali was starting to fall behind in his studies and needed to return to the normalcy of Temple life.

The apprentice glanced up and gave Obi-Wan a small smile.

The master returned the weary smile and pulled his cowl over his head, noting that Bali mimicked the action. "Something bothering you, Padawan?"

"A great many things, Master." The boy fell into silence not offering to speak of the things that troubled him.

Obi-Wan had noted his padawan's reserve. The boy had been quiet most of the short trip back to Coruscant. He had slept some as well as meditated and studied, but had for the most part kept to himself.

Worry had clouded the master's thoughts ever since Nochian Spex had whispered in the apprentice's ear. Obi-Wan had felt the sadness and worry edge into the padawan's aura and felt helpless to do anything about it.

"Master Jedi!" Jira's loud cry wafted through the corridor, slicing through the Jedi?s thoughts. "Please wait up!"

Luckily for Obi-Wan the large hood masked the pained wince as he turned to face the clumsy blond running toward him.

Her high heels dug into the floor snagging on bits of debris as she barreled up to the cloaked figures.

Using the Force, Obi-Wan gently buffered Jira's erratic path so she would not lose her footing and need him catch her again.

"The Chancellor forgot to give you this," she said as she held up a data chip. "He said your Council will be expecting it. The chip contains the record to the official inquiry of Senator Irisi of Tamboa's death."

Some instinctive part of him felt like drawing up his shields in the woman's presence.

The Jedi met Jira's almost probing gaze with a serenely impassive look. Under the scrutiny of her gaze, he always felt like a laboratory experiment being dissected.

"Thank you," Obi-Wan replied formally as he reached for the chip when Jira?s jog came to an abrupt stop. Her high-heeled shoes snagged on the carpet and she stumbled but Obi-Wan?s gentle manipulation of the Force she did not fall.

The chip bounced across the tight gray weave of the floor.

With a small sigh, Obi-Wan knelt to pick it up. He tried not to visibly notice the garish yellow shoes that took a tiny step closer. When he stood, Jira was hovering just inches away. Casually, he retreated a step, desperately needing space between he and the woman.

Unperturbed, Jira took another step forward.

A ripple of childish laughter danced through the training bond with Bali.

This is not funny, the Jedi silently warned.

Jira never even glanced in Bali?s direction as she leaned forward slightly. Her brightly painted lips turned upwards in a devilish smile as thick eyelashes fluttered j

5. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    Well I'm already having angsty, devious thoughts of darkness concerning what was said to Bali in the opening chapter. ;)

That and there's more to Jira than meets the eye... then again... No. Probably not. :D

Ah, sometimes you just have to use a little inappropriate Force control for a good cause. [Announcer voice]: Nice recovery by Kenobi!

6. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    "giggles silently" she deserved it.
    keep writing.

7. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Really Jira- Not in front of the children!! But haven;t we all wanted to ask the same question??

8. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001
    What's the harm in a little force manipulation when you're up against a pushy barracuda?

It's way better than having Obi-Wan beat her off with his light saber!

AHEM...nothing risque meant by that last remark. (nudge! wink!)

9. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2001
    For a while, they walked in silence. Then Bali spoke up. "Master?"

"Yes, Padawan."

"Was that considered proper?"

"Probably not." Obi-Wan sighed.

:p Aw, poor Obi-Wan! :p

Great so far! :D You have the most remarkable way of writing... I love it! :D

10. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
  11. fanofewans

fanofewans Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2001
    LOL...oh I cant wait till Bant finds out all about this.

Poor Obi..

12. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Oooo! Great post! Goodness, I'm really enjoying this! :D

More soon please! ;)

KG :cool:

13. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    LOL!! Oh my god! She's a little um...forward...isn't she? That was hystetical. Not only can you do angst, you can do laugh out loud comedy as well, RRK. You should be proud. :) And you say she is a from a small country on Naboo? Is that what is said throughout the Republic? : Naboo girls are easy.

Normally I wouldn't be as supportive of such a use for the mind trick, but you know, she was about to contribute to the corruption of minor, if she kept on with that line of questioning, so maybe it was indeed for the greater good. :D I hope Bali reveals that to Bant. LOL!! "She asked Master if..."

Feeling just a bit apprehensive for poor Bali. I really wish I knew what Spex had said to him. I don't know, I can't help but think it isn't the best thing to encourage an apprentice to keep things from his master but he obviously had his reasons for doing so.

I'm glad to see Obi-Wan is suspicious of Palpatine and wondering if there is anything more to it than his simply being an politician.

Have a feeling they should be meeting up with Qui-Gon again sometime soon. :)

George, however, has never bothered to make him anything more than a cardboard cut-out, and, if he becomes more than that in the films, it will only be because of the efforts of Ewan McGregor, added to that of Guiness' original portrayal, unless there is a major change of heart in the Bearded One. Unlikely, in the extreme, I'd say, given his continuing fascination with the brat.

We do agree on this! :D And "never the twain shall meet" as well. Pretty hard to be an Obi-lover and an Ani-lover at the same time. Can anyone else say "Waste of potentially great character"? The weird thing is, a stronger, more fleshed-out Obi-Wan actually makes Anakin's story stronger as well because Obi-Wan been an major part of his life for 10 years. So if you water-down Obi-Wan, you also weaken Anakin.

But we shall see, eh? AOTC may turn out to be quite a bit better than TPM for us Obi-addicts. Ewan has said he's seen alot of his stuff when he did looping and he said it was looking pretty good. We just have to hope Lucas doesn't go bonkers with the editing shears(or their digital equivalents) on Obi-Wan's role.

I have to admit I've always seen the Jedi as being warrior monks so I was actually more concerned that Lucas would change his original plans and turn the PT into some kind of "Lives and Loves of the Jedi Knights complete with Over-used Love Triangle" than about the fact that Jedi are supposed to be celibate(or roughly there abouts ;) ).

I thought, in TAS, we got hints of Obi-Wan's passions as a person, for example, when we heard so much about his thoughts on the politics of the Republic--how many times did not only Obi-Wan give his opinion, but did Anakin say "Well you should hear what Obi-Wan says about it"(somehow methinks Obi-Wan should have watched his mouth around the kid a bit more given said kid's tendency to want to use a jackhammer instead of chisel :) )? He's obviously greatly concerned over the fact that the people who are supposed to be served by the Republic are instead being ignored or even harmed by the Senate's inaction and corruption.

Given the way Luminara and Bariss are, who are concerned for the people of the Republic and know perfectly well the Senate is full of "blowhards" but just sort of focus on how, in their role as Jedi, they can help, that is obviously something that is beyond his being a Jedi and into who he is as a man.

14. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    Was that considered proper? No, but I'm sure we've all thought it at least once.... ;)

And why do I have a feeling good old Palpatine is keeping an eye an Kenobi for reasons other then missions?

15. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Sugar_Bear--It's way better than having Obi-Wan beat her off with his light saber!

[face_blush]

fanofewans--oh I cant wait till Bant finds out all about this.

Poor Obi-Wan. 8-}

naw ibo--I can't help but think it isn't the best thing to encourage an apprentice to keep things from his master but he obviously had his reasons for doing so.

Then again, there are some things best kept a secret.

Sorry it is running a little late tonight. I will try to be earlier tomorrow.

16. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001

The Book of Temple Ghosts Part I

"Master Jinn, please, I have another question."

"Bant," Qui-Gon said dully as he tried to push past the Mon Calamari padawan out of the doorway she blocked with great determination.

"But I have a question." She smiled broadly pressing her hands tight against the frame. "If you would just go with me to the sparring rooms."

Qui-Gon silently noted the desperation in Bant's attempt to lure him away from the small corridor he was presently trying to enter. "Padawan Eerin." It took all of his self-control to keep the irritation out of his voice.

"Padawan Eerin," he repeated irritably. "You will move or I will have a talk with your master about your obstruction of my journey."

Bant frowned then grinned wildly. "We should go and talk to her right now!"

The Jedi Master just stared at her. Slowly he folded his arms over his chest and huffed irritably. Then slowly he started to withdraw from the doorway.

The padawan loosened her grip ever so slightly at the sight of the retreating master.

Turning with lightening quick reflexes he grasped her salmon colored wrist and whipped the girl out of his way. The padawan let out a surprised cry as she was roughly pulled behind the master when he stormed down the hall.

"You know," Bant continued quite loudly, "I think we need to have a long talk with my Master, let's go?"

"Be quiet," Qui-Gon demanded as he roughly palmed the first door open.

Standing there in the small storage closet, Obi-Wan straightened slightly never taking his gaze from his master. His upper torso was bare and he held his rumpled tunic in his grip but made no attempt to finish dressing.

"Just as I thought," the agitated master growled as he spied the figure standing behind his apprentice. Not that he had ever doubted his suspicions. "Padawan Keizian, present yourself."

Obi-Wan remained perfectly still, keeping himself protectively between his master and the cowering figure behind him.

"Padawan," Qui-Gon said evenly.

"It is all right," came the soft voice of Halla Keizian as she stepped out from behind the twenty-year-old.

She barely rose to Obi-Wan's bare shoulder and looked awkward wrapped in his oversized cloak. "Master Jinn," she said humbly as she lowered her gaze to the floor. Her short, brown hair brushed gently against her fine cheekbones.

Humility was not going to save them this time. His gaze never left Obi-Wan's. "Maybe I was wrong about allowing this little distraction to go on as long as it did without intervening. When I said to end it, I meant it."

Obi-Wan tried to argue, "Master?"

"Be quiet!" Qui-Gon barked as he folded his arms across his chest.

Bant peeked around the folds of the master's cloak into the room where Obi-Wan and Halla were cornered. She gave her friend an apologizing look.

The young man nodded in return.

"Padawan Eerin you will return to you quarters."

"Master Jinn?"

The tall master twisted, glaring at the Mon Calamari. "You will do as I say, your master will be informed of your coercion with this."

"Sorry, Obi," she said softly as she quickly withdrew under the master's cold glare.

"You did not have to treat her like that," Obi-Wan said evenly, showing little fear of the upset master.

As soon as Bant had fled the scene the master turned his considerable attention to the two silent padawans. "As usual you are two busy thinking about yourself?"

"Master?"

"Be quiet!" Qui-Gon demanded with such fire in his voice that the young man withdrew a step. "You both have been warn about these flirtations. Now you have gotten Bant in trouble."

"Master?"

Qui-Gon raised a hand silence the youth again. "Padawan Keizian," he said coldly, turning on the nervous girl. "You will dress and return my apprentice's cloak to him. Then you will return to your quarters. I will inform your master, who is also looking for you, of your whereabouts." Turning back to Obi-Wan. "Grab your belongings and step out into the corridor, now." He gave no room

17. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    well at long last we find out our boy isn't all duty and honor :) "Halla", can't wait till the next flashback. ;)

18. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    Sorry I haven't replied in a while. Been very busy [face_plain]

Anyways- Jira is funny. You know what, I think she likes Obi Wan. Just a little.

And the last post, I just wonder what they were doing in that closet! And Qui Gon seemed a bit mad, at least he was not like is in the present.

19. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    Oh, the many ways you can torture Obi... I think in this story and the last we've pretty much covered them all. No? Oh, great! That means there are so many more that are coming the next books!

(( jumps around happily ))

20. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    :eek: Oh my! Qui-Gon what are you going to do!? Don't you know the saying "Make love, not war"? :D
    Come on, don't do anything stupid... Poor Obi!

21. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001
    Very facinating flashback that revealed a surprisingly unsympathtic aspect of Master Qui's persona.

It was rather cruel to
    refer to 20 year old Obi's relationship as merely "flirtations" and "childish indiscretions" and was it necessary to publicly humilate the young couple?

Understandably, the older Jedi's primary concern was his padawan's training, however, he came off as a strict, uncompassionate taskmaster.

Merci Beaucoup! The image of a naked Obi-Wan making out in a closet made my day!

22. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Least we all forget"Forbidden Love".To be a jedi is to be totally loyal to them.Maybe a little "roll in the hay",but I truly believe love to be out of the question.I.E. QGJ/Tahl,he turned to an idiot,then of course we have Anakin. But this is a very good beginnings of a QJG/OBI story.PEACE Ewen

23. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    keep writing.

24. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Y-E-E-E-S-S-S!!!!! Flesh and blood Obi. Thank the Force.

And my, oh, my, could we have a more callous adult authority figure! Shouldn't someone - among the mighty Jedi - have figured out along the way that the proper way to discourage a romantic liaison is NOT with a battering ram.

Good job - and now, you're beginning to show us the foundation for what Obi became. It was obvious in AUP - and growing more so here - that he had some hang-ups about personal connections. Given the infamous actions of his Master, vis a vis Naboo, et al, that's hardly surprising - but now you're filling in even more. I figure, by the time you're done, every SW fan from here to Mos Eisley will be ready to drum the Master cad out of the Order, hoist on his own lightsaber. And propose poor Obi for sainthood - which is cool with me.

A graphic artist, huh? Well, I'm sure you're a very good one - but you might have missed your calling. You're way too good at this!! One never knows, though; I was a journalism major who became a hospital administrator. Go figure!!!

Waiting with bated breath for more.

Ciao FN. CYN21

25. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    That was rather funny... ;) That just made my day! :D

Great post! :)

More soon please! ;)

KG :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.