main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Bounty Hunter as a symbol...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AnaKanned_Food, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnaKanned_Food

AnaKanned_Food Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 20, 2003
    One of the more interesting aspects of the Star Wars Saga is the roll of the Bounty Hunters... sure we've seen them plenty throughout the movies-- they've played many roles like being the template of a clone army,the assassin of a prominant politician, the deliverer of Han Solo to Jabba the Hutt, etc.... But also look at how their existence seems to coincide with the rise and fall of the empire.

In my opinion, the bountry hunter symbolizes the lawlessness and loss of moral clarity that the Empire will bring about.

In Episode I, before Palpatine gains power, the first appearance of a clone comes during the pod race. Notice that she is only watching events transpire from a distance-- she is taking an active roll in anything. It's a sign of things to come...

Then in Episode II, we see bounty hunters playing a bigger role in the grand scheme of things. Zam tries to kill Padme and Jango's DNA is used to make a grand army of the republic. At the same time Palpatine is Chancellor is slowly moving the republic towards an imperial power.

Finally the Empire is declared and we see this theme of crime and ammorality continue into the classic trilogy. By Episode VI, finally come to a turning point. Luke manages to destroy Jabba's barge (with him in it) and Bobba Fett finally meets his end. By the end of the movie, we also see the fall of the Empire. Obviously, the death of Bobba Fett was an indicator that the lawlessness the pervailed the galaxy was being brought to an end by the destruction of the Empire... things were going to change.

2. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Bounty Hunters in Star Wars serve the mythological role of the 'evil rogue', in direct contrast with Han Solo's role as a 'good' rogue character.

3. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    the first appearance of a clone comes during the pod race. Notice that she is only watching events transpire from a distance-- she is taking an active roll in anything. It's a sign of things to come...

I assume you're talking about Aurra Sing? I wasn't under the impression that she was a clone. ?[face_plain]

4. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Obviously, the death of Bobba Fett was an indicator that the lawlessness the pervailed the galaxy was being brought to an end
    I thought it was an indicator that Jango needed to teach his boy to duck, once and a while ;)

The bounty hunters are the mythological role of the 'evil rogue' (as MetalGoldKnight mentioned). Just everyday people...who choose to serve eith good or evil (just like any of us)

5. AnaKanned_Food

AnaKanned_Food Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 20, 2003
    Woops! I meant to say, the first appearance of a "bounty hunter" hehehe... yes, well...

6. Moog

Moog Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    I think this is interesting. They may well play a particular mythological role, but that doesn't mean they don't play this symbolic role as well.

It really helps to explain why Aurra Sing was added to TPM. If the bounty hunters are effectively representing the mysterious dark side, which in TPM is only a phantom menace, then it makes sense that there be a bounty hunter on the sidelines, observing...

7. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, I wouldn't say bounty hunters are "evil rogues." They're - like somebody mentioned - simply like the rest of the people, doing whatever they need to do to serve their own purposes. (Or rather, they do good or evil depending on who hired them - it's all the Rebellion's and the NR's fault for not hiring them - which is what, of course, is giving them the bad name. 8-})

Aunecah

8. Darth_Saber-master

Darth_Saber-master Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2003
    i would like to clear this up. BOBA FETT DID NOT DIE WHEN HE FELL INTO THE PIT OF CARKOON!!!! he blasted his way out of the belly of the beast some 40 years later. and the reason Aurra sing was at the podrace? she is a "rogue" jedi, who is not quite a sith. She hunts down and kills anything that is strong in the force, she was there because Anakin has this strength, she "sensed" it and went to kill Annie. THAT is why she was there.

9. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    BOBA FETT DID DIE IN THE SARLACC. The EU is fan fiction with a budget, nothing more.

*ahem* Anyway...I'm actually disappointed with the characterization of bounty hunters in the Star Wars universe. It's very similar to the characterization of mercenaries in othe movies: it's assumed that they're scroffy hard-bitten men who live outside the law.

But actual bounty hunters are technically on the side of the angels. They go after bail jumpers and criminals, in contrast to Star Wars bounty hunters, who seem to be little more than paid assassins and hired guns.

I'd love to see the story of a bounty hunter who actually brings in wanted criminals rather than simply doing the dirty work of the scum of the universe...

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In 'The Last One Standing: The Tale of Boba Fett' (in 'Tales of the Bounty Hunters')
    Fett captures and brings in The Butcher of Montellian Serat, Kardue'sai'Malloc, who is wanted for the execution of 700 of his own people (Devaronians) while in service to the Empire. They had surrendered and Malloc had been ordered to move on with his troops and leave nothing behind, so he executed his prisoners. The bounty had been placed by the Devaronians themselves. Fett didn't always work for the scum of the universe..

11. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    People, canon debates are not acceptable in this forum. Citing the sticky thread of the forum:

What about the Expanded Universe?

As with the other Movie Forums, the use of EU is restricted. It can be presented as a possibility. One option out of many. It is not to be presented as an absolute, or fact that cannot be argued against. When presenting an EU argument, it is considered good manners to point out that you are putting forth an EU commentary.

Additionally, there will be no debates about whether the EU is canon. These "Canon Wars" will not be tolerated in the slightest.

In other words, its ok if you think Fett died and its equally ok if you think Fett live, just don't force people to believe what you do, mmm'kay! :D

Now, go back to posting! :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.