main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Bourne Series (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum, Legacy, & Jason Bourne)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, May 23, 2004.

1. Zinergy

Zinergy Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2004
    Dude, it's been out for several months. Not really news anymore. The new beginnings and ends are pretty interesting, and there's some more special features than the previous DVD.

DUDE, Supremacy only just opened at the cinema here in Australia last week, and the new SE of Identity is not out here yet either...

What is so good about the new opening and ending? What has changed?

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Both the beginning and end take place just before Bourne finds Marie in Italy. The CIA drugs a soda or something that he buys, then the guy that Brian Cox plays talks to Bourne, offering to have him work contract. I'm assuming that Bourne rejects it.

3. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Guff, the movie is well worth getting. It shoots for the more realistic spy-type movie.

4. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    But which, in your opinion, is the better version?

5. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    I like the original DVD release because it's got the DTS surround track (which they didn't include on the SE), and I'm an audio snob.

6. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    It depends... are you talking about DVD version? If you like special features, go for the extended edition. If you just want to see the movie, go for the regular, the extended parts really don't add much to the movie.

Movie to movie, see them both, in order.

Oh yeah, the DVD for Supremacy is out December 7th, and there is a huge interest in getting the third book made into a movie. Matt Damon said that he's also interested in reprising the role of Jason Bourne.

7. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I was browsing through aa bookstore today and I saw a book called the Bourne Legacy - supposed to be the fourth book.

Is this true?

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yep, although it's not written by Robert Ludnam.

9. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Do you guys think the Bourne series is the new Bond series?

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The two are a lot different, and I hope that they stick with just a trilogy. Bond relies on all these gadgets. Bourne uses his fists and anything he can get his hands on.

Hey... maybe with all these verses movies... Bond vs. Bourne...

11. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Bourne is a far more human character than Bond, and his series goes for a more authentic feel than any of the 007 movies. I really don't see how the two are comparable.

Anyway, I recently saw Supremacy again, and can now say with confidence that it is my favorite movie of the summer.

12. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Well, I finally managed to get my hands on teh books and I just finished the second one last night. However, I have a question.

What did the movies have to do with the books? Now, I haven't seen the first one in a couple years, but I don't remember there being anything in there about Medusa.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the movies and the books, but... well you get my point.

:Targeter:

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I think that they intended for a looser, more modern version. They have some similarities, but didn't go for a direct adaptation. Supremacy is even more of a distance from the book...

14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Well the characters are the same really.

Carlos the Jackal is kinda pasai as a villain though.

15. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Just a bit. I kinda like how they've toned down his objectives to much smaller ones.

16. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    Do we have a release date for Supremacy yet?

17. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yep, December 7th

Here's the DVD cover:

[image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002ZDVEU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

18. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    The reason he went "rogue" were pretty pedantic I thought. He couldn't wack a warlord and his family so he went renegade? Helloooo, they're called Black Operations for a reason.

19. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Well, he kinda lost his memory and decided that that wasn't what he wanted to do...

20. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    Upping this for the DVD release tomorrow.

I never knew there was an older Bourne Identity film starring Richard Chamberlain. It's also being released on DVD tomorrow. Anybody seen it/is it any good?

21. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Haven't seen it. It's a miniseries I think.

22. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    Anyone else pick up the DVD?

I thoroughly enjoyed watching it again. Maybe the small screen minimized the "shaky-cam" that bugged me in the theater.

Just a couple touches I noticed in the film that were brilliant: No score or background music of any kind in two of the film's more intense scenes. The fight with the Munich Treadstone agent, and Bourne's confession to Neski's daughter. Also, a close up on Bourne's beaten, bloodied and remorseful face when he confesses. Makes for powerful moviemaking.

No DTS track, but I'll live. I'm sure they'll include it on the "Special Edition" disc released in the future.

And I'm glad they included the shack in a deleted scene. I always wondered when Bourne told Marie to meet him back at the shack if he had some sort of safe house.

23. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Sounds good. What scenes were cut? I haven't gotten this yet.

24. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    The "shack" scene was the only one that added much to the film. Shows Jason going to a desolate area, and into a small shack where he's stowed his spy gear.

I think there were about 6-7 others.

There's a couple deleted scenes where Abbott's feeling the pressure. He meets the oil baron on a dark street, begs him to get rid of Bourne, and tells him to get rid of Danny's body. The baron is silent, then gets in his car and says "we're done here. to the airport."

Another one (before that) has the CIA team at their hotel after the trolley car/Nikki scene, starting to put the pieces together, and Abbott's really squirming.

Neither of them really fit the movie and were good cuts.

Those were the 3 that made impressions on me. Can't recall the others at the moment.

25. Darth Damo

Darth Damo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 1999
    Ok... Here are some points i'd like to raise...

1. The Shaky Cam or whatever you call it is there for a reason. We.. the Audience are inside Jason Bournes head in the movies and if you have read them... the books. We know as much as he knows which at the start is absolutely nothing...We dont know why he was shot, why he speaks umteen different languages, why he can strip and assemble firearms.... nothing. Therefore the shaky cam is used as a cinematic device as an aid to our understanding of his overall confusion and therefore ours. I think it works perfectly... Bourne is absolutely mis-functioning on the level where he has NO idea what is going on at times...

2. If you really want to compalin then compalin that we are not getting to see a visualisation of the books. There are a few scenes in the books that i would possibly have sold my granny (as we say in ireland) to get to see on screen. A good example is when he touches the assassin in the crowd in the bourne supremacy the book. The hair on the back of my neck was standing as i read it...

3. SPOILER... Maria did not have to die... What in gods name was wrong with the basic plot of the Bourne Supremacy??? Get a bad guy... MANNHEIM would have been perfect. Have him do the work of the russians... Then the CIA want him stopped. MAke it look like MANNHEIM has MAria when she is kidnapped.. Bourne goes after him and gets Abbot etc to help him even though at this stage he hates him still after the Bourne Identity... At least we'd have some continuity... It means he still can go mad in Ultimatum as he tries to keep his family safe. I mean 3 is going to have NOTHING to get him going. Nothing at all. Mannheim is still a possibility but Bourne has killed absolutely everyone now that ever harmed her or himself now...

Continuity here will be a problem. The worst case scenario i believe will be that the girl whose parents he killed will be involved in trying to kill him and then they'll end up together or something equally as stupid... I hope they use the ludlum supremacy plot for the next movie tho... kill an assassin pretending to be jason bourne..

4. Where the Hell is Mo Panov? An outstanding Character in the 3 books...

5. Why kill Maria?? No logic here at all.

6. The "real" jason Bourne would have shot the guy in the car to make sure after the crash in the tunnell...

7. Treadstone was not a project... Treadstone 71 was the address of the house where Conklin, bourne, monk et al. met to discuss the "BOURNE IDENTITY". There was a real person called Jason Bourne and DAvid webb shot him dead just because he thought him a traitor to Medussa in Tam Quan. Then Webb took his identity and set off on the hunt for Carlos the Jackel. Treadstone was not a project... has doug liman even read the book?

8. Basicially the only thing these movies have in common with the books is that there is a guy called david webb who's alias is Jason Bourne and he has lost his memory.

9. I love the movies as stand alones but i love the books more. The names of the books are directly linked to the stories...

i.e.....

Bourne Identity... Who is Jason Bourne? Biggest question in the book.

BOurne Supremacy... Jason Bourne V's the guy pretending to be him who is killing rings round him in china pretending to be bourne..

Bourne Ultimatum... Bourne versus Carlos after the jackal delivers him an ultimatum. Fight me or ill kill your family...

Now where was the supremacy bit in the movie?

Needed that... thanks...
    Darth Damo