main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Bourne Series (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum, Legacy, & Jason Bourne)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, May 23, 2004.

1. Old Republic Royalty

Old Republic Royalty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 1998
    I haven't scene Bourne Supremacy yet (I've only seen two movies at the theatre in over a year).

However, I saw the Bourne Identity and then read the book. I think I read Supremacy as well, but it's been a while.
    Anywho... no has mentioned my gripe. And, maybe it's just a woman thing. But, the thing that was really impressed on me as the difference between the book and the movie is that the chick went from being a highly intelligent, fairly bigwig, accomplished, Canadian woman -- to a hot, dumb, French chick. In the books she's central to helping Bourne. In the movie -- she's just there to be hot and have sex. That ticked me off enough that even though I liked to movie on first viewing, I have a distaste for it now.

2. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Huh? I really liked Marie in the movies. I think they made it obvious that the two were very fond of each other and in it for the long run together... actually in love, as opposed to a more casual Bond-girl type relationship. And I think Damon and Potente had great chemistry together.

3. Darth Damo

Darth Damo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 1999
    Yes... How did she go from well to do canadian economist who was vital to Bournes survival on occasion to student/gypsy???...

Doug Liman is a sinner against all good things Bourne...

4. Old Republic Royalty

Old Republic Royalty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 1998

Huh? I really liked Marie in the movies. I think they made it obvious that the two were very fond of each other and in it for the long run together... actually in love, as opposed to a more casual Bond-girl type relationship. And I think Damon and Potente had great chemistry together.

But, she was only the love interest. In the book she's, I don't know, closer to an intellectual equal. Not quite -- but a lot closer.

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Anyone know if an Identity/Supremacy boxset is coming out in the near future. I don't want like buying separately and would most like a cardboard case for them in a 4-disc set.

6. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    I agree with TheVioletBurns.

I thought Marie as the gypsy was a great match. Both her and Bourne don't have any roots, and their past is shady at best. They're just two faces in the crowd. Until they find each other.

And Bourne (I'm speaking of the movie Bourne, not the books Bourne) doesn't need an intelligent female to be his equal. He needs someone from the real world, like Marie. Best example: In Identity when Bourne concocts this elaborate plan to get John Michael Kane's hotel bill. Marie just walked in and asked for it.

Marie equalizes Bourne, humanizes him. Her gentle teasing about "can I walk around, or will I leave footprints?" brings Bourne out of his Treadstone mode and puts a smile on his face. And it's the humanity Bourne misses in Supremacy.

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I've read Identity, and the way that I'm thinking of the book/movie is a sort of reimagining, with just the characters in common with each other.

8. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Doug Liman is a sinner against all good things Bourne...

Huh? Why are you blaming Liman? He didn't write the screenplay. The bottom line is, if you haven't read the book, The Bourne Identity is a top-notch action thriller. Doug Liman did a terrific job directing.

If anyone is a sinner against all good things Bourne, it's Paul Greengrass, for his absolutely horrible shooting style. I'm sure I'd be getting Supremacy on DVD if Doug Liman had come back to direct.

9. Darth Damo

Aug 18, 1999
    For a start... Greengrass directs Supremacy brilliantly. I have already explained the shaky cam and if u know anything about the state of Bournes/Webbs mind then you would not complain about it. It suits the character perfectly.

Liman should have taken the Bourne Identity to the next level...i.e. the level of the book. The "walk into the lobby, look for securuty..." scene is TRASH. Its NOT a good comparison for Marie and Bourne. It shows Bourne to be a moron in the movie. He would have been the one to tell her to be his personal assistant. He is ALWAYS one step ahead in the books. Bourne is NOT a good person. He is a killer. David Webb is a good person. Webb Hates Bourne.

A good contrast is when she starts worrying about the children when the dog is missing and Bourne says "Thats not going to happen"... A much truer interpretation of the 2 characters.

10. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I have already explained the shaky cam and if u know anything about the state of Bournes/Webbs mind then you would not complain about it.

Wrong. I've read your excuse for the shaky cam and it just doesn't cut it. In fact, there is no excuse for incoherent action. Like I said earlier in the thread, I've heard talk radio address the subject of Supremacy's shaky cam overuse, and everybody that called in said how much it sucked. Go to the IMDB forums for Supremacy and you'll see a ton of people that hate it there, too. So, I know I'm not alone on this. Just compare the fight scene in Identity when Bourne fights the guy who crashes through the window of his apartment, to the fight scene in Supremacy where Bourne fights the Treadstone agent. In Identity, you can clearly see punches and kicks land. It's very well shot, edited, and choreographed. In Supremacy, the only thing you can really make out, is that Bourne and the agent crash up against the blinds of the window quite a bit. Who the hell knows how the choreography was, because you just can't see it.

I'm sure you're not alone in liking the style. I really wish people wouldn't encourage intentional, ridiculous shaking of the camera, but what can you do? And again, Liman didn't write the film adaption of Identity, so I still don't get your problem with him.

11. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    the Bourne Supremacy down to the direction with the terrible camera, and the killing of Franka really F$$$, up a possibly great sequel.

12. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    Just an FYI...

Matt Damon was on Charlie Rose last night, plugging Ocean's Twelve, and Charlie asked him about another Bourne film. Matt said the wheels are turning on that, and that Greengrass is definitely interested in doing another one, and Damon would be on board for it if that's the case.

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Excellent.

14. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    Yeah, great news.

Of course, it'll probably be 2-3 years away. Matt talked about 3 movies he's got coming up to film. He'll be acting for three different directors: Deniro, Soderberg, and Scorcese. Wow.

15. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
  16. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    imdb.com shows Bourne Ulitmatum as "announced" with a 2007 date behind it. Has anyone heard anything?

17. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    Saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith last night, which Doug Liman directed and John Powell scored.

I swear the closing credits music was lifted directly for the Bourne theme music.

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    YES! Looks like they're making the third one!!!1

Third Bourne Reveals All
    Ultimatum holds the answers.
    by IGN Staff
    December 7, 2005 - Who is the real Jason Bourne? That's the question that the trilogy of spy films attempts to answer, and it will be in the last installment ? The Bourne Ultimatum ? that we uncover Bourne's past. Warning: minor spoilers follow.

Latino Review examines the film's story in detail, getting the goods from a recent draft of the movie's screenplay by Tony Gilroy.

Jason Bourne is on a mission to get to the bottom of things ? the Treadstone project, which created über-assasins like him for the US government, and the conspiracy among those who would like to eliminate the evidence, namely Bourne. Along the way, he discovers his pre-Treadstone past in the military, his mother, and his real name.

In the meantime, Noah Vosen is a government official who wants Bourne dead. Vosen enlists the help of Pam Landry's character and the remaining Treadstone soldiers to get him. There's also a sinister side to the story that involves mind-control techniques applied in Treadstone.

Action in the film ranges from London to Paris to Gibraltar to New York. The story as it currently stands may go through revisions before production begins, but that should give spy thriller fans a good idea of what to expect from The Bourne Ultimatum.
    ~IGN FILMFORCE

19. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    That's great news. I'd been wondering about a 3rd film.

But that description raises a lot of questions...the "remaining" Treadstone agents? Bourne supposedly killed the last one in Supremacy. And it's hard to imagine Pamela Landy being a willing accomplice to hunting Bourne down.

20. Darth Damo

Aug 18, 1999
    Have these people who write these movies read the books or even watched the movie preceeding the one they are making?

Why would Landy do this?

She already knows Bourne was totally innocent in Supremacy...

Morons.....:_|

21. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    BUT- Bourne is still a rogue agent, AWOL, if you will. The agency was still after him as to the threat that he posted. I believe in the book, Ultimatum, someone took his identity. I'm not sure if I'm mixing that up with the Supremacy plot.

As for the new agents, think that it's possible that there could be another Treadstone type project running?

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    This was a rare instance when I thought the second movie better than the first one. A third movie sounds good, though the odds are it won't be as good as either the first or third. (See: ESB and "Star Trek II")

23. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    It depends on how much the writers tie in the last two movies. I think that it'll be just as strong, given what we know of the story thus far.

24. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    A lot will depend on how the plot brings Bourne back. Both the ending of the first and second one have had Bourne basically dropping off the map. So I don't think it will work if Ultimatum basically cops the same 'someone is framing Bourne' idea to bring him out of hiding.

25. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    I just want to know why the killed of Franka in Supremacy, in the books they have kids.