main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Bourne Series (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum, Legacy, & Jason Bourne)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, May 23, 2004.

1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Anyone a fan of the Bourne series?

Bourne Identity:
    Jason Bourne.
    He has no past. And he may have no future. His memory is blank. He only knows that he was flushed out of the Mediterranean Sea, his body riddled with bullets.

There are a few clues. A frame of microfilm surgically implanted beneath the flesh of his hip. Evidence that plastic surgery has altered his face. Strange things that he says in his delirium -- maybe code words. Initial: "J.B." And a number on the film negative that leads to a Swiss bank account, a fortune of four million dollars, and, at last, a name: Jason Bourne.

But now he is marked for death, caught in a maddening puzzle, racing for survival through the deep layers of his buried past into a bizarre world of murderous conspirators -- led by Carlos, the world's most dangerous assassin. And no one can help Jason Bourne but the woman who once wanted to escape him.

Bourne Supremacy:
    Ludlum has never come up with a more head-spinning, spine-jolting, intricately mystifying, Armageddonish, in short Ludlumesque, thriller than this. A Peking leader of seemingly irreproachable reputation, secretly a Kuomintang fanatic, has masterminded a plot to take over Hong Kong via political assassination, the result of which would be civil war in China and possibly global disaster. His principal agent is an assassin-for-hire masquerading as the legendary "Jason Bourne," a one-time secret U.S. agent now, under his real name David Webb, struggling with the aid of a psychiatrist and his loving wife Marie to recover from amnesia. Only one man can destroy the conspiracy: Webb, who must be persuaded to re-assume his Bourne identity, track down the impostor and through him lay a trap for the vile Shengthe "persuasion" to be by way of his abducted wife. The action jolts from the back alleys of Hong Kong and Kowloon to a secret government complex in the Colorado mountains to the seats of power in Peking and even the interior of Mao's tomb. Every chapter ends with a cliff-hanger; the story brims with assassination, torture, hand-to-hand combat, sudden surprise and intrigue within intrigue.

Bourne Ultimatum:
    The world's two deadliest spies in the ultimate showdown. At a small-town carnival two men, each mysteriously summoned by telegram, witness a bizarre killing. The telegrams are signed Jason Bourne. Only they know Bourne's true identity and understand the telegram is really a message from Bourne's mortal enemy, Carlos, known also as the Jackal, the world's deadliest and most elusive terrorist. And furthermore, they know that the Jackal wants: a final confrontation with Bourne. Now David Webb, professor of Oriental studies, husband, and father, must do what he hoped he would never have to do again -- assume the terrible identity of Jason Bourne. His plan is simple: to infiltrate the politically and economically Medusan group and use himself as bait to lure the cunning Jackal into a deadly trap -- a trap from which only one of them will escape.

The Bourne Identity came out as a movie in 2001 and as a miniseries in 1988. The Bourne Supremacy will be out this summer. Furthermore, there will be a forth book, called The Bourne Legacy:

Framed for the murder of his two closest associates and the object of an assassination attempt, Jason Bourne is on the run--finding himself barely a half-step ahead of a killer whose vengeance is personal...and the pawn in an even deadlier game.

Trailer for Bourne Supremacy: Apple.com

So, has anyone read the book or seen the movie/miniseries? What did you think?

2. AniSky1291

AniSky1291 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2004
    Cool tidbit:

Robert Ludlum went to my high school :D

3. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    When I rented the Bourne Identity I honestly wasn't expecting much at all. But wow, that's become one of my all-time favorite action films. Just a tastefully and realistically made action film, which is rare.

I can't wait for the second one to come out.

4. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Robert Ludlum went to my high school

Really? That's awesome!

5. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Really looking forward to the new movie this summer (and the SE of the original the week before on DVD).

6. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    wild_karrde, any idea of the extras on that Bourne ID SE disc?

I really love the first film, and I can't wait for the second one. From the preview, it appears to be cut in a very similar mold as the first.

When I heard Matt Damon was cast as Jason Bourne, I was skeptical. I'm not sure he was my ideal picture of Bourne. But he did a great job with the film. He was able to maintain Bourne's mix of confusion, remorse, and singular focus on the mission when the scene called for it. He showed his cold, calculating side (the effects of his training) as well as his decent, human side (his concern for Marie). And the action scenes, he was definitely up to par. I especially enjoyed the scene where he fights the agent from Rome - Bourne takes several blows, which is more realistic than the action star outclassing any opponent that comes his way.

Does anyone know if Damon is signed for the third film? There was a few months before shooting Supremacy where there was a question of whether he wanted to come back for a second film, let alone a third.

7. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I haven't heard anything, but if Supremacy does well, I would imagine so.

8. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    wild_karrde, any idea of the extras on that Bourne ID SE disc?

From IGN.com:

April 19, 2004 - Universal is at it again with their goofy special edition titles. The company announced The Bourne Identity Explosive Extended Edition for a July 13 release, ten days before the sequel, The Bourne Supremacy hits theaters.

To make all of the features fit on one disc, Universal is jettisoning the DTS soundtrack. However, what you get in return is:

- A new opening sequence and an alternative ending.

- A ticket to see The Bourne Supremacy.

- The Bourne Mastermind - A look at Robert Ludlum, author of the Bourne Trilogy.

- Matt Damon: From Identity to Supremacy - Interviews with Damon and his co-star Franka Potente on this film and the sequel.

- The Bourne Diagnosis - A UCLA psychologist discusses the role of Jason Bourne's amnesia in the movie.

- Cloak and Dagger: Covert Ops - A CIA officer discusses the real-world aspect of the film.

- Inside a Fight Scene - A look at the U.S. Embassy fight sequence.

- Deleted scenes.

9. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    Thanks, w_k.

To make all of the features fit on one disc, Universal is jettisoning the DTS soundtrack.

Bad move. They just lost a purchase. I love the DTS track.

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Interesting special edition. I think that I'm going to save my money for the pitch black one.

11. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    - A new opening sequence and an alternative ending.

I wonder if the alternative ending on the SE is different from the alternative ending on the regular edition.

12. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I wonder. It was interesting how parts of the trailer for #2 was part of the end for #1.

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    There's a new poster up for The Bourne Supremacy:

[image=http://www.empiremovies.com/images/posters/the-bourne-supremacy-poster.jpg]

I think that I like it.

The tagline as well: They Should have Left Him Alone.

14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I wonder how they'd do the third book. You can't exactly have Bourne face Carlos "The Jackal" on screen nowadays.

Though it would be amusing to watch Jason Bourne vs. Bruce Willis

:)

I thought Matt Damon's best selling point was the fact that he didn't broadcast his superior ability personally.

In other action movie thrillers (XXX, Bond of course, you know the type) the hero projects himself. Aside from looking like Matt Damon, Jason Bourne could be a grad student travelling through Europe or a guy on vacation. He only really "displays" how deadly he is whenever he's actually using his abilities then 'switches off'

The best ability of an assassin is the ability to be inconspicious I think rather than actual stealth abilities.

I rather liked the original DVD and don't really necessarily think that the new one will offer much to get me to purchase it. I'll definitely rent it though for the Special Features.

Oh, you know they're continuing the Bourne Books through Lundlum's estate? It might be interesting if the idea of the amnesiac can carry for several movies like Bond (Is it coincidence that both have names that are initialed JB?)

In any case, I wish they'd included a commentary track by Matt Damon and his costar. Both gave fantastic performances and I'd want to hear what they thought.

15. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    Wasn't there a movie a while ago called "The Jackal" which I believe starred Brad Pitt, and wasn't The Jackal also known as Carlos, or is the Jackal just a really overused name for dangerous, international assasins?

16. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    If I remember correctly, in True Lies they called the used-car salesman Carlos the Jackal. :)

17. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yet another poster. I don't like this one as much, but it's still cool:

[image=http://comingsoon.net/nextraimages/bournesupremposter.jpg]

http://www.thebournesupremacy.com

18. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    Here we go! Post your reviews here. What did you think of the movie?

Here's an interview with Damon about the film. He also leaves the door open for Ultimatum:

Will there be another installment of the Bourne series since there were three books that featured the character?

?I?m happy to leave it as is like I was after the first movie,? Damon says. ?I?m not chomping to do it. But I don?t mind playing a character again if we have a great idea.?

19. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I read in Variety today that there are talks to option the 3d Bourne book, and if that one does well, they'll consider how to keep the franchise going. I'm not sure how all 4 books (including The Bourne Legacy) fit on a timeline with respect to each other, but it would be cool if they could maybe do a couple of movies to fill in the gaps.

Then again, maybe it's best not to overdo something that's already good.

I really liked "The Bourne Identity" - for all the reasons stated by everyone else. Matt Damon just came off as a much more human secret agent. He wasn't all powerful, he didn't have a lot of nifty gadgets at his disposal - just his wits and whatever of his life he could piece together. It was a twist on mystery stories.

edit: Oh yeah, I hope to see "Supremacy" this weekend. :D

20. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    I went to go see Supremacy, yesterday...and I have to say...it kicks ass. The car chase scene is incredible. The acting is also top-notch...with Karl "Eomer" Urban doing a fantastic job as the Russian assassin. Awesome, awesome movie! 9.5/10

However...I've never read the books...but upon reading the synopsis for the novel of "Supremacy," I've noticed that the movie is INCREDIBLY different. Why is this? Are the movies complete deviations from the books?

21. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    The difference probably has to do with the time periods. The books were set during the Cold War, but the films are set during present day, so some things probably had to be tweaked. But I don't know for sure, until I actually read the books (and see the movie, tonight!).

22. Calantha

Calantha Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2002
    That was Eomer? Cool! I knew I'd seem him somewhere. Now that won't be bothering me so much.

I went to see Bourne Supremacy last night, with my mom. Our cinema was packed, and it was a late show. I wonder how well it's doing in the rest of the world.

Did the direction bother anyone else? I found the constantly moving camera distracted me and gave me a headache. The other people coming out of the movie said the same thing. This made Moulin Rouge look sedate.

23. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Yes, Calantha, I came here to post about the same thing. It pretty much ruined the film for me. There's a fight scene towards the middle between Bourne and this guy where the camera work is so mind-numbingly shaky, that the fight ended up being ridiculously incoherent. And it made what should have been a spectacular car chase comepletely lackluster, because this director felt that he couldn't keep the camera still for one second, or remain on a take without cutting, for two seconds. And that awful camera work remains a constant throughout the whole thing. I thought Michael Bay was bad when it came to this stuff, but this Paul Greengrass takes the cake. Who would have thought that intentional, furious shaking of the camera would become all the rage in modern-day action cinema? It's friggin horrible, and will seriously harm this film, big time.

It could have been much, much better if Doug Liman came back to direct.

24. Calantha

Calantha Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2002
    Yeah, I had a feeling there was some fantastic fight choreography, but I ended up closing my eyes during the action sequences.

Maybe I'll have to check out the first one. If it's a different director, I think I'll enjoy it much more.

25. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    "That was Eomer? Cool! I knew I'd seem him somewhere. Now that won't be bothering me so much."

Yep, that was him. He's just as much of a badass in this movie as he was in LOTR. Perhaps even more-so. :)

"There's a fight scene towards the middle between Bourne and this guy"

That dude is the assassin that killed Conklin at the end of the first movie.

As far as the camera goes...I kinda liked it. Made you feel like you were right in the thick of the action...whether it be fighting along with Bourne....running with him...or sitting in the seat next to him during the car chase.

I could see how it could be jarring/annoying to some folks, though. Hmmm...I don't know...maybe...if you go to see it again...sit further away from the screen? That may make it a little less annoying. *shrugs*