Amph The Bourne series (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum & Legacy)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, May 23, 2004.

1. waheennay Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, the fight between Bourne and the German ex-Treadstone agent was hard to follow. I've never read the books and was surprised to what happened to Famke Potente's character. That sucks. Joan Allen's great as always and the final scene was nice. Glad Brian Cox's character is dead. *******.
  2. Leonard_Shelby Force Ghost

star 6
    ***Pretty BIG Spoiler***

I was really shocked to see what happened to her character. She was so great and likable in the first film (as she was in her brief appearance in the beginning of this film). It was a really sad moment...especially when he was burning the pictures...but kept just that one to remember her by. :( :_|

It sucked...

Jason: I don't have a choice!

Maria: You have a choice.

BAM! Done.

:(
  3. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I felt the same way. I was even mentioning to people before seeing it, "They're not even marketing it that the girl from "Run, Lola, Run" is even back in it. Well, now we know why. :(
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Pretty decent flick, like the first movie. Nothing particular to rave about, but solid overall. The car chase was actually pretty good too, once they got inside the tunnel. Oh, and the guy from Chronicles of Riddick and LOTR was pretty badass in this ::)
  5. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    I saw the movie on friday, and thought it was pretty good. The only bad thing was when the camera shook. It shook too much!!![face_devil]
  6. Darth_Banal Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Saw it yesterday. I'd give it 3.5 out of 5, a worthy continuation of the series. I too was very surprised that Marie dies but upon reflection it would be very hard for Bourne to do his stuff with someone hanging around him. I also appreciated how it explained more about the Treadstone project, and the past connection with the two CIA guys.

I too couldn't stand the "shaky camera" effect they employed so many times in the film. Even during some touching scenes, the camera's wobbling, and that was irritating. And I thought the hand to hand combat scene Bourne had with the other Treadstone agent (was that the bad guy from XXX?) was shot terribly.

The chase scene was excellent, not one of the best ever, but excellent nonetheless.
  7. Darth-Kevin-Thomas Force Ghost

star 5
    all though that first twist in the first 20 minuets surprised me, it was good for the movie. Becuase once the girl said, you have a choice, i sighed and was happy, i knew bourne wasn't going to do anything after that.

That is when i relized that the worst was going to happend. *POP*

Good movie, i enjoyed it. It was very differnt that i thought it would be, nice to see karl urban get another role after eomer and the cheezy-mo flick riddick. I would have given the girl at the end a large sum of money becuase she was living in poverty and stuff. WOuld have givin bourne a nice touch even though he is a killer.
  8. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>(was that the bad guy from XXX?)<<

Yup.
  9. Latorski Force Ghost

star 4
    I liked this film a lot. I thought Matt Damon was excellent as a character who says little but communicates with the audience by facial expressions and body language (reminded me of Jude Law's Cold Mountain performance). I loved the chaos of that car chase.

Spoiler

Did anyone else notice that shortly before Marie is shot, Bourne asks her to trade seats in the car? I know the reason he gives, but do you think that somewhere in the back of his mind, self-preservation instincts led him to subconsciously switch positions knowing the driver would be shot at first.
  10. Darth_Banal Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's certainly possible Latorski, but IIRC Bourne had switched seats with Marie in order to bail out and draw the assasin away from the vehicle.
  11. MikeSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    I saw the movie thought it was great just as good as the first one. I didn't noticed the shakey camera work they everyone is b*t*hing about though.
  12. CodeName_Targeter Force Ghost

star 5
    I thought the movie was pretty cool and I'm glad I opted to see it rather than to go see I,Robot. Like others, the shaky camera stuff was annoying after awhile, I had to keep on blinking.
    *blinks* THe RUssian assasin was Karl Urban? *shock* I knew he was in the movie, but I didn't know who he'd played.
    I think I'd give it an 8.5/10, hope they make the next two into movies and I think I'll go see if I can get the books from the library.

:Targeter:
  13. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    Just saw it last night (for free, thanks to the free pass in the new DVD). I thought it was great. I actually liked the shakey camera, I thought it added more to the scenes. I knew Karl Urban was in it going in, so I knew to look for him. He was also in Chronicles of Riddick but I didn't know it until after. I didn't recognize him there, but he looked pretty much the same as in Bourne. Very different from LotR.
  14. Darth-Kevin-Thomas Force Ghost

star 5
    I actually liked the shakey camera

that seems to be the biggest dividing topic. Most people like the movie but didn't like the shakey camera or visa versa.

I liked it. I gave the movie a sense of confusion. The thing is, the first one we had no idea what to expect. in the second, we knew what he was so it was a bit less on the confusion side (stircly character driven). The shakey camera during the fight with the german guy was cool because it was like, WHOA.....im in the room and i am confused...WHAT THE H.

thats my 2 cents.
  15. Pelranius Force Ghost

star 5
    I wonder how they changed the plot for Supremacy, given today's geopolitics?
  16. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    The bourne movies were awesome. I would be very interested in reading the books, ut i have so much other stuff on my to read list that i'm not sure when i'll get to them. I did notice the camera work. I thought it was appropriate in the fight scenes since fights are caotic.
  17. Darth_Banal Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I wonder how they changed the plot for Supremacy, given today's geopolitics?

IIRC, in the book the had the same idea of somone framing Bourne for a murder. The assasination that was pinned on Bourne in the book was of a high-ranking member of the Chinese government. It increased tensions between the US and China, so there was a bit more of the goverment-vs-government angle.
  18. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    I saw the movie today, loved it. Great action, story and everything.
  19. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    I just saw the Bourne Supremacy and have a number opinions. First of all, the movie was alot better than most of what's on the market today but inferior to the Bourne Identity due to a few choices they made.

Some general comments

MAJOR SPOILERS
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    * I didn't like making the CIA boss corrupt. One of the best part of the BI was the fact that the CIA was just doing its job.

* The movie failed if it tried to make itself non-topical because the trial of the Yukos tycoon in Russia makes this movie seem extremely in support of the government crackdown of him.

* Shakeycam was overused I think and I think the fight scenes would have been better had Bourne been seen just doing his thing.

They worked for his fragmented memories of course.

* One of my favorite scenes is the "Bourne Moment" with the KGB agent's frame up job. Bourne moments are what my friends have termed times in the movies when the CIA or some other party MASSIVELY overthinks/overplans something then someone (usually Bourne) wins by application of simple logic or planning

In this case it was simply walking in, shooting the two guys, and taking the documents after cutting the power vs. the massive 50 man operation of the CIA

* I think that the KGB agent and Yukos owner (I know he's another company but it was obviously Yukos) could have used some more development personally. All the assassins of Bourne Identity had their own identities.

* Jason didn't think as much as he normally did and I was displeased. Every step of Jason's activities in BI were planned carefully. He was still smarter than everyone else here (which is why its Bourne) but I assume it was just grief over Maria.

* Another Bourne moment was the finding out the location of the CIA's HQ in Berlin by using simple logical reasoning except for the one wiretap at the beginning of it.

I hate when Bourne uses gadgets though, even if realistic ones. Its better when he just makes use of stuff around him.

* I felt his confession to the little girl was forced.

* One comment, Julia Stiles character had better be kicked out of the CIA. That is the most pathetic cracking under...not even torture but the slighest application of intimidation...that I've ever seen. Giving away VITAl information to a very dangerous man.

* I loved how Bourne blew up the house of the Treadstone assassin. I want to know how he tracked that guy down though and point out Bourne doesn't DO explosions.

BI is good because he lacks plotholes like this.

* I also felt his escape from the German police was alittle weak but I liked it.

* Nice carchase with the KGB guy.

* I anxiously await Bourne Supremacy
  20. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Master

star 4
    Interesting, I'm listening to the Frosty, Heidi, and Frank show at work, they come on after Howard Stern on 97.1, the FM talk station in the L.A./Orange County area. Anyway, Heidi brought up the fact that she went and saw The Bourne Supremacy over the weekend and that she has a plea for Hollywood. I knew immediately, it was going to be about the relentless shaky-cam thing. Sure enough, it was. She says she got so nauseous from it, that she vomitted in her popcorn bag. Tons of people are calling in, agreeing with her and me. All of them, saying how much they like The Bourne Identity, and how completely disappointed in the Supremacy they are, as a result of the non-stop shaky-cam. Hopefully, Hollywood's friggin listening. Enough with the stupid shaky-cam!
  21. Darth_Banal Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Is the shaky-cam something that could be, um, "fixed" for the DVD? Somehow I don't think so.
  22. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Master

star 4
    No, the damage is irreversible to The Bourne Supremacy, but hopefully, filmmakers stop using that utterly ridiculous technique.
  23. Zinergy Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I own the Bourne Identity on DVD.

Just came back from the cinema; saw Bourne Supremacy. Enjoyable film.

Has anyone else seen the news that the Bourne Identity is being rereleased on DVD with a new beginning and ending?

God that REALLY annoys me when movie companies do this... why can't they just release one ultimate edition, I am a DVD enthusiast... own about 170 DVD's, and I hate it when films get rereleased all the time! What do the film companies expect you to do, buy 4 copies of the one film?
  24. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    Has anyone else seen the news that the Bourne Identity is being rereleased on DVD with a new beginning and ending?

Dude, it's been out for several months. Not really news anymore. The new beginnings and ends are pretty interesting, and there's some more special features than the previous DVD.

Anyone hear abaout the release of Supremacy on DVD?
  25. JediMasterGuff Force Ghost

star 5
    OK, I know this is probably a stupid question seeing as you're all fans, but I've never seen either film but really, really want to. My mum's seen Identity and liked it, and I really hate renting movies (I have no idea why, maybe just because of the price).

So the question is, do I buy the DVD of a film I've never seen before? And do I buy the regular version, or the new Special Edition?