main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Bourne Series (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum, Legacy, & Jason Bourne)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, May 23, 2004.

1. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    Yeah well I sat 3rd row on the very end. Painful so very painful.

The movie was excellent. And easy to follow. I have seen most of the first one. None of the second(I own it too) but this film kicked ass.

Anyone think they'll make movies of Legacy and Betrayal? With the ending the potability is certainly there.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, they've definetly left the door open for more movies.I've never read The Bourne Legacy so I don't know what its about, but if the previous three films are any indication, they'll keep the title and Bourne and nothing else.

3. malcolm-darth-am-i

May 21, 2005
    I hope they do.

Bourne is shall I say...A smart mans Bond. And more believable. Like the Blackbriar thing is really believable these days with the patriot act and what not. And Killing machines like Bourne manufactured by government. All to me seems believable.

I highlighted it because Im not sure about the spoiler policy.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I was second row on the end. :p Awful.

But I enjoyed the movie, though the editing nearly gave me a vertigo attack.

Very good cast, too.

5. malcolm-darth-am-i

May 21, 2005
    I was 1 row behind you. I was cursing my bro the whole time.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The faces were distorted by my location, it was hard to tell how much.

Legacy has a plot element that probably can't be adapted, IMO, especially if Bourne is born in 1970.

7. malcolm-darth-am-i

May 21, 2005
    Webb was born in the late 60s I believe. I know that.

and yeah faces were distorted...kinda ruined it a bit form me. But it was still awesome.

8. quiller

quiller Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    Any time older books are made into movies you have to accept going in that some plot points and the like have to be changed IMO... I mean in the original I seem to remember Webb is like close to 45 in the first book... that is way older then Matt's character in the movie... that plus all the updated techno stuff that exists now as apposed to when the book was written.... I am a big fan of these books.. read them back when they first came out... but that doesn't mean I can not enjoy the movies just as much even if they don't follow the book line by line.. these movies are fast becoming one of my favorite movie franchise although the updated Bond might give them a run for the money..

9. malcolm-darth-am-i

May 21, 2005
    I got the 5 books today. Went on a spree. Gonna read them asap.

And Bourne is great as I've said many times.

10. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Well I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. One of the best paced movies I've seen in ages, though I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that most of the movie happens at the end of the second movie.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, you should definetly read the books. I'm 280 pages into The Boure Identity and its one of the best spy/assissin novels I've ever read.

I have to ask a question though, to anyone who's read the books. Was anyone disappointed at all that the Bourne's enemy in the movies wasn't Carlos the Jackal?

12. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Loved this movie...loved the ending. I hope that there's a fourth one.

13. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    The movie was fantastic and in my opinion, the best of the series.

14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Mmm, I dunno. I found Ultimatum to deviate away from the other two films quite a bit. Jason Bourne's demeanor changes so drastically from what he was in Supremacy. In Supremacy he hardly says a word, and just focuses on relentlessly hunting down the people who were after him.

Blackbriar too, is very different. Whereas Treadstone was a sinister non-existent assassination agency, Blackbriar felt more like an over-paranoid security program run by an over-paranoid man. Sure they kill people too, but with words like "anti-terrorism" and "national security" attached to it, I sorta found it a little less believable.

Oh yeah, and there were maybe a few too many comedic moments. In a way, it's a lot like Revenge of the Sith, where the previous movie tried to do things somewhat seriously (with Bourne succeeding much more than the PT), but then tried to lighten up the atmosphere with the third film. On the other hand, perhaps this was the only way to go with it.

15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I think it's the perfect ending for the series, I can't think of anything negative about this movie right now.

As for the books, I only read the three Ludlum books, not the two new ones, and they are definately high on my favorite books list, with Identity even coming in on top.
    One thing I didn't like about Ultimatum (the book), was how Bourne was so inferior compared to Carlos. Okay, Carlos was a killer who was still doing his job, while Bourne was getting older and was out of the business for quite a while, but he was always at least one step behind and most of the time did exactly what Carlos wanted him to do. It looked like Bourne had lost his ability to realize what was behind the events which were happening; his instinct of coming up with a plan no matter the circumstances, wasn't really all that sharp anymore either.

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    They are definitely talking up a fourth one now.

17. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I don't see how they're going to do a fourth one. It felt like they all but wrapped up the series in Ultimatum. Given that the antagonists and the Treadstone background story didn't turn out quite as neatly as I wanted, I can't see where they're going to come up with more material.

18. FitKisto88

FitKisto88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2006
    It is a good place to end the story, but at the same time it would be interesting to see what Bourne does next. Does he go into the private sector, industrial espionage? or create a new identity (like how he becomes a college lecturer in the books).

Maybe they could come back to the franchise in a decade or so.

19. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    One thing I wondered about, why did Bourne's Treadstone files suddenly include the assassination of Vladimir Nesky?

The way it sounded in Bourne Supremacy, this was a job ordered by Ward Abbott, which had nothing to do with the official assignments. As Nicky Parsons said, it wasn't in his file, the first assignment was Geneva. Basically it was a cover up for the deal between Abbott and Gretkov, something that couldn't be mentioned in Bourne's files, else it would have been pretty easy to figure out who was the leak who cost the CIA $20 million. Landy had access to all Treadstone files in Supremacy, surely she would have noticed if there was something about Nesky in it.

Now, either this was added later on, which doesn't seem to be the case, as it looked exaclty like the other mission files, or it was hidden before, but then again, it wasn't supposed to be an official job, so there wouldn't even be such an official file.

Maybe they did it as a nod to the second movie and merely overlooked that it doesn't make much sense to have this data in his file. Or I could have missed something ;)

20. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Hey, yeah! That's a good point. Though maybe it's possible they found some extra Treadstone stuff in Abbott's files after he killed himself.

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The movie is still playing...the only big ticket movie that still is.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    From the blog, "Rope of Silicon""

"On tap is a fourth "Bourne" movie, but their slate is full of efforts to either launch new franchises or resurrect old ones.
    More recently, Shmuger and Linde landed Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon for a fourth "Bourne" movie, even though the director and star seemed ready to wrap it up after three pics.

While this is good news, especially the fact that it will be Greengrass and Damon, I am not sure how guaranteed it actually is, at least not without a writer aboard. I am sure a storyline is in place, but until a scripter is signed on I am going to remain pessimistic even though I have already added Untitled Fourth Jason Bourne Movie to the database. The one last thing we need is a crummy Bourne flick to taint the franchise."

23. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Hmmm...interesting. I agree with the blogger. I'm very happy with the trilogy. I'd rather just keep it how it is than get a sub-par new movie. Especially after the ending of Ultimatum. It was so poetic and a nice parallel to the beginning of Identity.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    From Damon's IMDB profile:

Untitled Jason Bourne Project (2010) (announced) .... Jason Bourne
    The Informant (2009) (pre-production) .... Mark Whiteacre
    The Human Factor (2009) (pre-production)
    Green Zone (2009) (filming) .... Roy Miller
    Margaret (2008) (completed) .... Mr. Aaron

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, but if its Greengrass and Damon, that bodes well, as it means we're probably going to get a decent Bourne film.