main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Bourne Series (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum, Legacy, & Jason Bourne)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, May 23, 2004.

1. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I loved all of the Bourne films and with Greengrass and Damon returning, I'm confident that we'll get a solid film.

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Movie number #4 is scheduled for 2010. Damon is confirmed, but not Allen nor Stiles.

3. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Bah. The only way I'd bite for a fourth is if they brought back Strathairn...somehow. As it is, the Bourne trilogy works beautifully as just that: a trilogy. It comes full circle, yada yada yada...hey, I've just thought of the one "second sequel" that surpassed its predecessors! Ultimatum! Now I feel a bit better about the idea of a third Nolan Batman film. :p

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    10PM-12AM
    Cinemax

Network Premiere
    Bourne Ultimatum

"In this final installment of the Bourne trilogy, amnesiac assassin Jason Bourne (Matt Damon) goes on a dizzying hunt for the truth about his past. He eventually finds it with the help of Julia Stiles and Joan Allen, but not before tearing through Moscow, Paris, Madrid, London, and Tangier, not to mention destroying several nice automobiles."

5. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I think that it should become apparent near the end of the fourth movie that the events are actually taking place prior to the first movie!

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Bourne IV still has no script:

"Back in April, producer Frank Marshall said that a fourth installment in the Jason Bourne franchise would hit theaters during the Summer of 2011 and that writer George Nolfi would have a draft ready by June (of 2009).

Now, Matt Damon has revealed to Entertainment Weekly that there is no script and no story, and the only thing keeping this project together is "hope."

"We're hoping to make a fourth, but we don't have a story and we don't have a script," he said. "I assume it can happen, but we have to come up with a storyline that's deserving. I mean, if you see the Bourne character come out again and say, 'I can't remember,' you're going to get up and leave the theater."

Source: EW, The Playlist

7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    'Bourne' director confirms he won't do fourth film
    by EW staff

"Paul Greengrass, who directed the second and third installments of the $945 million grossing franchise ? The Bourne Supermacy and The Bourne Ultimatum ? has confirmed that he will not be making the fourth film. Greengrass, who also directed the controversial 9/11 drama United 93, issued this statement: ?You won?t find a more devoted supporter of the Bourne franchise than me. I will always be grateful to have been the caretaker to Jason Bourne over the course of The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum. I?m very proud of those films and feel they express everything I most passionately believe about the possibility of making quality movies in the mainstream. My decision to not return a third time as director is simply about feeling the call for a different challenge. There?s been no disagreement with Universal Pictures. The opportunity to work with the Bourne family again is a difficult thing to pass up, but we have discussed this together and they have been incredibly understanding and supportive. I?ve been lucky enough to have made four films for Universal, and our relationship continues. Jason Bourne existed before me and will continue, and I hope to remain involved in some capacity as the series moves on.?

The story, which originally broke earlier this week on the blog The Playlist, cited script challenges and Greengrass?s schedule as mitigating factors. (Greengrass has been busy making Green Zone, a big-budget Iraq-based thriller, with Bourne star Matt Damon.) Variety?s Michael Fleming reports today that Damon is not yet attached to make the fourth Bourne film, either, and posits that Tony Gilroy, who wrote all three previous Bourne films and recently directed Michael Clayton and Duplicity, could now possibly step in to write and direct. It?s also possible that Georg Nolfi ?who co-wrote Ultimatum with Gilroy and is now making his directing debut, Adjustment Bureau (based on a Philip K. Dick short story) with Damon in the lead ? might also consider stepping in as director. Nolfi has already written a version of the script for the fourth Bourne, but when he left to do Adjustment, the studio brought in writer Joshua Zetumer to script a different version. It remains to be seen which script, and which director (if any), will persuade Damon to sign his name on the dotted line."

8. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    You know, I wonder if the word 'green' does something to Zaz's brain? :p

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    This is something that could kill the movie all together. I think I remember Matt Damon saying that he wouldn't do a 4th if Greengrass wasn't involved. Or at least that it was a major factor in his decision.

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    They were even planning on a fourth? The story seemed pretty much wrapped up at the end of the third, I thought.

11. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    That's what I thought as well - I guess Hollywood can't resist leaving a '$945 million franchise' alone. :(

12. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    So, from what the article says, Renner won't be a recast of Bourne, but "certainly cut from his proverbial cloth." This makes me less skeptical than I would have been otherwise. We'll see what transpires from here.

14. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Yes, he's playing another agent in the same universe, which is reeling from the impact of what happened with Bourne.

I'm semi-interested in this, because apparently Tony Gilroy's earlier drafts for the Bourne films had more of a 70s Pakula-esque thriller vibe, which would be great to see. He basically emulated Pakula and Lumet beautifully in his debut film, Michael Clayton, so I'm far more open to this than I would have been if it were just another Damon/Greengrass installment.

15. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Now here's a casting choice that actually makes SENSE.

Renner was fantastic in the Hurt Locker. I can easily see him taking over this franchise.

16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Thing is, he's supposed to be taking over the Mission: Impossible franchise as well...

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm thrilled. I've been a huge fan of Jeremy Renner since I saw him in S.W.A.T., which was an awful movie, but he was a fantastic villain. He was preening, charismatic and compelling and, believe me, it wasn't the script that gave him any of those qualities. And when a guy can be that good in a movie that bad, he's on my list. I've been pulling for him since then and so I've been thrilled to see him get all the good recognition since The Hurt Locker and then just keep climbing from there. Maybe I'll actually give Bourne another go now that he's in there instead of Damon.

18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Damon as Bourne would kick his rear up one street and down the next.

I note, again, that Damon did much of the stunt work himself. In Supremacy, when Bourne is hanging off a bridge, that really is Damon. He said that's when it occurred to him that maybe that was pushing things a bit too far.

19. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Unlocked by request.

20. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Poster!

[image=http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/thebournelegacy/images/poster-xlarge.jpg]

Trailer!

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/thebournelegacy/

Looks good. I like that Gilroy and Elswit aren't attempting to emulate Greengrass, because that way leads to disaster (see: Quantum of Solace).

Also, I'm really interested by the fact that it looks like Gilroy is really hewing closely to the continuity of the Greengrass films, even though Greengrass apparently butchered Gilroy's original intent in the screenplay. Twice.

Gilroy had originally intended it to have more of a 70s paranoia thriller vibe, something that Liman didn't even really put across (Identity is more of a glossy Euro-thriller, and the Greengrass films are a highly kinetic brand of faux-doco action flick). This looks like it's leaning a bit more towards that direction, which is good.

I'll be interested to see (or hear) if James Newton Howard uses John Powell's main themes. It would be appropriate and appreciated, methinks.

AmySolo likes this.
  21. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    [image=http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs11/i/2006/193/d/6/Modified_Raised_Eyebrow_Smiley_by_Prince_of_Powerpoint.jpg]

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  23. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    great, a fat bourne, brought to us by fat damon.

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The new movie was officially announced via a Super Bowl TV spot to be simply called Jason Bourne. This is of course the fifth Bourne movie, but the fourth to star Damon and to directly follow that character (Legacy was a side story in the same universe).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Bourne_(film)

TX-20 likes this.
  25. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    I'm. So. Down.

Excellent twist thrown in there with the "you remember but you don't know" stuff.

I never saw Legacy, but Renner wasn't actually Bourne right? and curious why he comes back this time.

[also wow I feel like we need to pull sheets off furniture and dust the cobwebs from this thread o_o]